Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-18-2009, 7:29 PM

Default converting to a 22 short?

I was paging through bownells catalog and saw a conversion for a 10/22 to a 22 short. Why would they offer this? I mean why would someone shoot a 22 short, or would want that? I got to admit it seem like a cool idea. ( maybe to shoot rat or cats).
Old 04-18-2009, 7:41 PM
Calguns Addict

There's no need for such a conversion. Any .22 LR can shoot .22 short without a problem.

I suspect that the conversion kit is a small piece of paper that says in very small print:

GOTCHA!
"Ecuador offers the United States $23 million a year in economic aid, an amount similar to what we were receiving under the tariff benefits, with the purpose of providing human rights training that will contribute to avoid violations of people's privacy, that degrade humanity," --Fernando Alvarado
Old 04-18-2009, 7:45 PM

Default 22 short

It is advertised with a different bolt and springs, i guess it will not cycle with the standard spring and bolt.
Old 04-18-2009, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabagley View Post
There's no need for such a conversion. Any .22 LR can shoot .22 short without a problem.

I suspect that the conversion kit is a small piece of paper that says in very small print:

GOTCHA!
I haven't found that to be the case. In some of the .22s I've tried shooting shorts and longs out of, the accuracy was terrible. I think it has something to do with the chamber length being different, but that wouldn't seem to explain why some .22s can shoot all three just fine. Autoloaders, different story. The recoil is different, and that is how they cycle. But you could just manually cycle them.
Old 04-18-2009, 9:01 PM

The kit comes with a light-weight bolt, reduced recoil spring and a modified magazine.

I purchased the kit many years ago and it does allow the 10-22 to use shorts and functions flawlessly. However, I wasn't satisfied with shooting shorts (to loud), so I reworked the FCG and magazine to use CB Longs.

The rifle functions the same (flawlessly) and the report is like using a supressor. Most if not all .22 semi's will not function using CB Longs.

WOLVERINES!
Old 04-18-2009, 9:23 PM

CB's are great to shoot in your house into old phonebooks with the stereo on...
Old 04-18-2009, 9:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911man View Post
It is advertised with a different bolt and springs, i guess it will not cycle with the standard spring and bolt.
Exactly right.

I have an older .22 caliber semi-automatic rifle from the late 50s or early 60s. The factory manual says not to fire shorts; because they don't produce enough recoil to cycle the action. We used to shoot longs in it on occasions, but those are not common any more. So I keep a few boxes of LR ammo around here. Those have never failed to function properly...
Old 04-18-2009, 9:37 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabagley View Post
But the feeding mechanism may not properly load the shorter rounds. And, with a semi-auto, there may not be enough power to properly cycle the action. Teh 10/22 kit comes with a lighter bolt and .22short length magazine, IIRC.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-19-2009, 5:06 PM

I tried it once on a 10/22, the bolt didnt cycle and with a 20 inch barrel it was real quiet.

You should banish any thoughts of how you may appear to others.
Marcus Aurelius

"I won't be wronged, I wont be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
the "Duke" in the shootist
Old 04-19-2009, 8:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toten Kopf View Post
The kit comes with a light-weight bolt, reduced recoil spring and a modified magazine.

I purchased the kit many years ago and it does allow the 10-22 to use shorts and functions flawlessly. However, I wasn't satisfied with shooting shorts (to loud), so I reworked the FCG and magazine to use CB Longs.

The rifle functions the same (flawlessly) and the report is like using a supressor. Most if not all .22 semi's will not function using CB Longs.

wow i cant even get a cb to overcome the hammer spring even with the recoil spring removed so you are saying using the light weight bolt allows it to work?
Old 04-19-2009, 9:57 PM

First, you need the Volks 22 short kit to try any changes in lesser powered ammunition. Reworking the FCG with different springs was a very time comsuming task but for me was worth the effort.

Having a 10-22 that shoots CCI CB Longs flawlessly is a lot of fun. And as always, people at the range are amazed at how quiet it is. Hearing the bullet impact and that being almost as loud as shooting the rifle itself is pretty cool.

The only real down side is that the CB Longs really don't have that much power, so your giving up power for the reduction in noise levels. I have wacked many squirrels and crows using this round so it's not entirely void of power.

Oh, as a added note, no drilling, grinding or metal removal was required to do this.

WOLVERINES!

Last edited by Toten Kopf; 04-19-2009 at 9:59 PM..
Old 04-21-2009, 9:32 PM
Veteran Member

I mistakenly purchased a box of CB longs and love them. I shoot them out my 10/22 just cycle the action by hand each time. Fixed that darn cat that ate my kids 4H ducklings.