Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-01-2012, 4:10 PM

Default What would you do with two (rather nice) AR15 uppers?

So here's my issue. I have two nice uppers and I'm torn between selling one, trading one or keeping both.

I have an Armalite SPR Mod 0 in 16" in jail pending pickup. Great little rifle, I love the machining and looks on the monolithic upper. 1:9" twist will work great with cheap 55gr ammo. Extremely light and slim.

I have a Noveske Rogue Hunter 18" upper on the way. Beautiful upper. Love the slim NSR rail. 1:7" twist, ideal for the 72gr and 77gr Sierra Match Kings I have for handloading.

My first thought is, just sell the Armalite upper - I'm loading my own ammo and the Noveske is pretty much all I'll need. I don't have a good shotgun in my collection, so I've been looking for a good trade for it. I figure for the price of the complete upper, I could get a nice auto-loading shotgun, maybe a used Benelli, and be pretty much good to go for 3 gun.

On the other hand, I could also just keep both, mount a red dot or irons on the 16" Armalite upper and run M193 or cheap 52 grain in it, mount a good 1-4x scope on the Noveske 18" upper and run M855 or heavier ammo, and have a great combo setup for CQ as well as long range or service rifle shooting. On the other hand, it occurs to me this is slightly overkill.

Another thought is trading the Armalite upper for a 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel upper that would extend my range out even further. On the other hand, that range is kind of covered already by my planned targets/loads for the 18" barrel. And see above for overkill on the AR platform. I don't really plan to hunt anything anytime soon, but I suppose shooting out to 600 yds or so would be a really cool capability and practice.

Or, perhaps, trade the Armalite for a Trijicon ACOG or AccuPoint?

Does anyone really need two uppers? Could someone with multiple uppers perhaps inform my thinking on this? Cheers.

Last edited by trigger hippie; 06-01-2012 at 4:13 PM..
Old 06-01-2012, 4:35 PM

Wow, I wish I had problems like this! IMO you said you like the armalite monolithic upper, keep it. I think the only solution is getting another lower for the Noveske upper.
Old 06-01-2012, 4:39 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

lube them up, turn them sideways, and stick them up your candy ***.

Old 06-01-2012, 4:41 PM

^ THIS
Old 06-01-2012, 4:43 PM

How about get a cheap complete lower to put it on and go from there.
Old 06-01-2012, 6:51 PM

What time is it?

I THINK IT'S THREAD DERAIL TIME!
Old 06-01-2012, 6:55 PM

I can smell what the Baconator is cookin'