Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 09-18-2011, 9:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Can a non-FFL ship a gun to an FFL? YES, but ...

I've searched but can't find the answer to my exact question.

Here's the deal:

I plan on buying a handgun from a person out of state. I know for a fact that it must be shipped to an FFL. However, does the person need to ship the firearm using an FFL? or can he just ship it directly to my FFL? is the DOJ letter of approval required EVEN WHEN an individual is shipping the firearm and he is not an FFL himself?

I'm well aware that it costs more for an individual to ship a firearm but if it will save all the "we don't ship to CA" headaches, might as well do it.
Changed thread title so others with the same question can find the thread.

// Librarian

Last edited by Librarian; 09-19-2011 at 10:16 AM..
Old 09-18-2011, 9:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You can have it shipped to your FFL via a Private Party using FedEx or UPS as long as a copy of their ID is sent with the firearm.
Old 09-18-2011, 9:14 PM
In Memoriam

There does not need to be the "letter of approval" in either case. That is only required when buying from an out of stated dealer.

It all depends on your FFL. If he will take a shipment from an individual, fine. If he will only receive from a FFL, fine as well. The shipping might even be cheaper.

This gun DOES have to be on the roster.
Old 09-18-2011, 9:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
This gun DOES have to be on the roster.
Yea, it's on the roster for sure.

So the DOJ "letter of approval" is only required when you're buying a firearm directly from an FFL's inventory?

If the seller is only using that FFL to ship, my FFL doesn't even have to send his FFL info to them?
Old 09-18-2011, 10:49 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-45 View Post
I've searched but can't find the answer to my exact question.

Here's the deal:

I plan on buying a handgun from a person out of state. I know for a fact that it must be shipped to an FFL. However, does the person need to ship the firearm using an FFL?
there is no federal or CA requirement that it be shipped from an FFL.

Quote:
or can he just ship it directly to my FFL?
YES, as long as the receiving FFL will accept a shipment from a private party.

Quote:
is the DOJ letter of approval required EVEN WHEN an individual is shipping the firearm and he is not an FFL himself?
if the individual ships it himself, no CFLC approval needed, but if he has an FFL ship it for him, he must have CFLC approval. AFAIK, there is no CFLC exemption for an FFL>FFL transfer if the the seller gives it to the FFL to ship for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-45 View Post
So the DOJ "letter of approval" is only required when you're buying a firearm directly from an FFL's inventory?
the CFLC approval is basically needed for all FFL>FFL transfers. It doesn't matter how the shipping FFL acquired the firearm.

Quote:
If the seller is only using that FFL to ship, my FFL doesn't even have to send his FFL info to them?
why would you think that. even thoughthe seller is handing the firearm to the FFL to ship it, the FFL still has to properly log the firearm in/out of his bound book, and he is going to want a copy of the receiving FFL's info for his records.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by ke6guj; 09-18-2011 at 10:54 PM..
Old 09-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
why would you think that. even thoughthe seller is handing the firearm to the FFL to ship it, the FFL still has to properly log the firearm in/out of his bound book, and he is going to want a copy of the receiving FFL's info for his records.
Thanks for your reply. As far as why I would think that, I got that impression from the previous posts.

Last edited by Colt-45; 09-18-2011 at 11:03 PM..