Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 02-28-2013, 8:34 AM
Veteran Member

Default AR15 on LEO Motorcycle

Per my buddy at Echo Arms, spotted this the other day during lunch in Tustin/Irvine, motorcycle LEO with an AR15 or M16 as they couldn't tell if it had a fun button.

Now I have seen shotguns, but never this. Interesting enough to share to say the least and packing some serious heat for traffic enforcement in Tustin.

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

KrisAnne Hall on Oregon

"I am sullied - no more" Col. Ted Westhusing
Old 02-28-2013, 8:36 AM
Veteran Member

Biden would say the officer is under gunned now. Should go back to the shotgun.

lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko45
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 02-28-2013, 8:36 AM

Weapons of war don't belong on our streets. I wonder who he is at war with?
Old 02-28-2013, 8:37 AM

There are pictures of a few of these motorcycles from the rose parade. Looked to be semi auto with 20 round mags
Old 02-28-2013, 8:37 AM

It's for the children. I walked by a similar setup one time(can't remember the city) and the device they used to secure it to the bike would still allow access to eject and remove the mag
Old 02-28-2013, 8:41 AM
Banned

There is a cycle in Newbery Park / Thousand Oaks with an AR on it as well. Its a different mount. The AR stands upright. I could tell it was an SBR, but couldnt see if it was auto or not.
Old 02-28-2013, 8:43 AM

Like to have one of those for my bike ..............Hmmmm wonder if that's considered a locked container ???
Patterson Ca. motor cops carry those as well , very small central valley town .
Old 02-28-2013, 8:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjdesertfox View Post
There are pictures of a few of these motorcycles from the rose parade. Looked to be semi auto with 20 round mags
Huh, so it is an AR15. Thanks for the info. They didn't want to get too close to it, don't need to give an excuse to get chewed out over nothing, although the one time I did ask an officer about his service weapon, he was more than happy enough to chat about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
There is a cycle in Newbery Park / Thousand Oaks with an AR on it as well. Its a different mount. The AR stands upright. I could tell it was an SBR, but couldnt see if it was auto or not.
Curious to see that one.

A negligent discharge (very unlikely to happen, but you never know) on the one pictured above would not be desirable!

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

KrisAnne Hall on Oregon

Old 02-28-2013, 9:17 AM

Quote:
I saw the exact same thing driving on the freeway in Sacramento a while back.
Old 02-28-2013, 9:29 AM

I live in Thousand Oaks, I have seen them. Definitely an SBR, short barrel, collapsible stock with high cap mag (Pmag?) and what looks like a red dot sight. They're mounted in some metal lock device that blocks access to the trigger, maybe also the mag release. Someone with a screwdriver could make off with the red dot pretty quick though. They should probably switch to torx or something.

I wondered why they would need such things in this quiet little city. But I remembered that there are more than the average number of bank robberies around here (easy freeway access).

So if they can have these SBRs to defend themselves, why can't we?

Last edited by longhairchris; 02-28-2013 at 3:33 PM..
Old 02-28-2013, 9:41 AM
Veteran Member

Don't start that debate, Chris. Ha. But yes, I agree.

KrisAnne Hall on Oregon

Old 02-28-2013, 9:47 AM
Veteran Member

So he's pretty much muzzling his right leg for his whole shift.

That would look pretty good on my ATC while I'm riding the dunes.

Mind you, I'm 5'7", 180, with a visible Ab...
Old 02-28-2013, 9:55 AM

I have seen this on a few of the Clovis PD bikes as well, not the same lock box but when I first saw it I was more then suprised.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

The Colt's are mounted just in front of the right knee on the Honda's here.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:21 AM

Interesting that its pointing at his ***/leg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-28-2013, 11:14 AM

Sac Police BMW Motorcycles have an AR-15 with what looks like a 10 round magazine with the barrel pointed downward. This all stemmed from the Hollywood Bank Robbery Shooting where the cops were unable to take down the perps until they got more firepower.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:43 AM

I want to visit Tustin/Irvine and Clovis...pretty bad ***!
Old 02-28-2013, 11:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So who decided that 10 rounds was enough for me to defend myself but not enough for a LEO to do the same?? And I can't call for backup.. lol
Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 PM

Santa barbara has a few bikes with sbr's on the back
Old 02-28-2013, 1:31 PM

Do they get covered when in rain?
Old 02-28-2013, 1:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhairchris View Post
So if they can have these SBRs to defend themselves, why can't we?
Good question.

They don't make contact with the public without having some type of firearm. If it is not safe for them to approach a driver along the side of the road unarmed how is it safe for me to do so to exchange information if need be?
Old 02-28-2013, 8:16 PM

The BMW mount is pretty slick. It covers the controls, the port, and the mag. There is also a manual key lock and a slick remote release with timer. Many small departments don't have an abundance of personell so a Motor may be on SWAT or part of another unit, or he or she may be working traffic one minute and the next call may be something requiring more firepower. Madera PD just adapted the BMW mount to one of their HD Motors as the M4 mount in the first picture was deemed hideous. After testing, they will likely fit the other HD's with the BMW Mount. There is (or was) one Fresno area Dept. that has an 870 mounted on one side and an M4 on the other, both mounted vertically on the clean BMW PD mount. This was the Motor Sergeants bike. The standard units just had 870's. Useless trivia, sorry.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Given the choice, would you rather have the rifle in the OP or what she has?:

Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 PM

Free Eotech and X300 on that Clovis PD bike.
Old 03-01-2013, 5:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
Given the choice, would you rather have the rifle in the OP or what she has?:

complete fail there....who ever trained her needs their cert pulled. That weapon has no business in her duties... she would be better off carrying a M82...
Old 03-01-2013, 6:13 AM
Calguns Addict

All the motor cops in Palos Verders (uber rich city south of LA) have AR's on their bikes.

Nice ones too, rails, magpul etc.... At least as nice as mine. Semi Auto too.

I always assumed it made sense, because they could get places faster than other second responders in cars. Most of the south bay cities have shotguns and AR's in car racks.

I seem to recall the mount set up pointing the barrel at the back tire... Its been awhile since I've seen one.
Old 03-01-2013, 6:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
complete fail there....who ever trained her needs their cert pulled. That weapon has no business in her duties... she would be better off carrying a M82...

Why?
As a cop, I'm all for an effective means to increase firepower. That 4.6mm round will penetrate body armor. Is similar in capability to .223/5.56.

Motor Officers dont have a whole lotta room to carry a battle rifle. The MP7 can fit in a Motorcycle saddlebag/ remain out of view of the public, be protected from the elements, but still be put into service at a moments notice.

Why is that a bad thing?

~Pope John Paul II
Old 03-01-2013, 7:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStiCK View Post

Why?
As a cop, I'm all for an effective means to increase firepower. That 4.6mm round will penetrate body armor. Is similar in capability to .223/5.56.

Motor Officers dont have a whole lotta room to carry a battle rifle. The MP7 can fit in a Motorcycle saddlebag/ remain out of view of the public, be protected from the elements, but still be put into service at a moments notice.

Why is that a bad thing?
That firearm has a specific purpose and its not what she is using it for. A carbine can be carried just as easily and has a greater capability then that weapon. Its a foolish weapon for her to carry.

That firearm/weapon has almost NO advantage over a 5.56 or 7.62 carbine and doesnt have any similar capability as you state. If you think that then you should have no problem with her carrying a M82A1 then... as I first said. Doesn't a 50 cal have the power to defeat body armor...... isnt the M82A1 semiauto just like an AR15...

Whats the effective range of that weapon? Can she hit a target 100 yards away who is taking cover? Whats the accuracy of that weapon past 100 yards? Does that weapon give her an advantage over a threat who is using a carbine at a range greater then 50 yards...say 250 yards away behind a car...NO! Is her job to clear rooms? She has nearly no chance of hitting a target that far and the threat has a greater chance to hit her since she has to expose herself to the threat with any firearm...this is why she is deploying a primary weapon system above a sidearm.... and thats her choice

Please explain the situation that she is in where that weapon is necessary AND is advisable over an AR15 carbine/SBR. This isnt Israel. Our LEO have specific requirements in their jobs and duties.

That weapon choice will get her killed in a situation where she needs to deploy a primary weapon system over a sidearm. Whoever trained her is a freaking idiot if she thinks that weapon system is acceptable. Its not her fault...its her departments trainer at fault.

She is canon-fodder with that firearm....she's a noise maker distracting the threat at best. If that weapon is useful, then her sidearm is aswell.

Sure it has a longer range and hits a bit harder then a sidearm...but its a baby step over a sidearm. Its specific use is for tight close quarters fighting inside a building, room by room clearing.
Old 03-01-2013, 7:47 AM
King- Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Does LE get into many/any 100yd + engagements?
Old 03-01-2013, 7:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
Does LE get into many/any 100yd + engagements?
very very few, but its possible. The idea here is an Officer needs to deploy a greater weapon system then a sidearm. That weapon system needs to be acceptable to the role they will provide.

LEO carry a sidearm as a primary weapon system for daily use in defense. They also need to carry an OFFENSIVE weapon system such as a carbine. Some carry defensive / Utility weapon systems like shotguns and sniper rifles since their duties and roles define those weapon systems as needed.

The firearm she is deploying is not one in which a cycle officer will provide to the group. Its effectiveness is nearly zero for the situation where she will need a primary over a sidearm.

Last edited by dieselpower; 03-01-2013 at 7:56 AM..
Old 03-01-2013, 8:30 AM
King- Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I get your point but She appears to be doing traffic control. Don't officers have different jobs that require different tools?
Old 03-01-2013, 8:54 AM
Veteran Member

Cyclecop with an AR in Tustin? I'd want one too, don't blame them at all, in any City. Palos Verdes seems so sweet, it's not! Plenty want to make a debate from this, go ahead, right now we can have them!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:32 AM

I saw LEO cycle-mounted ARs 3 times last year in Sacramento. They were oriented vertically.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:36 AM

In Orange County, around Placentia and Yorba Linda, the MotorCycle Cops seem to carry Sig 556's or something similar with a side folding stock, they look pretty bad***.
Old 03-01-2013, 4:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
So who decided that 10 rounds was enough for me to defend myself but not enough for a LEO to do the same?? And I can't call for backup.. lol
9-1-1 is what you call for back up
Old 03-01-2013, 10:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
very very few, but its possible. The idea here is an Officer needs to deploy a greater weapon system then a sidearm. That weapon system needs to be acceptable to the role they will provide.

LEO carry a sidearm as a primary weapon system for daily use in defense. They also need to carry an OFFENSIVE weapon system such as a carbine. Some carry defensive / Utility weapon systems like shotguns and sniper rifles since their duties and roles define those weapon systems as needed.

The firearm she is deploying is not one in which a cycle officer will provide to the group. Its effectiveness is nearly zero for the situation where she will need a primary over a sidearm.
Chill dude, sounds like someone has HK envy.

So you've made your analysis about her needs and duties from one pic? You're pretty good! I'm sure she's been trained in the weapon's use and limitations. If I had to guess why they issue those to motor officers, it might be 'cuz the city council doesn't want them riding around with rifles on their bikes. That may sound far fetched, but they (the city fathers) pay for the guns, so they'll can decide how they're carried. The Silicon Valley has political sensitivities like everyone else.

Who said she'd never be clearing rooms? Being on a bike she has a good chance of being one of the first on scene of an active shooter. With LE's protocol of the first three or four officers on scene making entry to engage the suspect, her weapon would especially useful.

No doubt that weapon is just one of a number that rounds out the PD's tool box. There's no reason to get excited about a picture that was posted months ago.
Old 03-02-2013, 1:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I talk to the chief motorcop at Corona PD and he was telling me he was able to get approved for his guys to have AR/SBRs. He said that many times, they end up first at scenes of violent crimes from just the sheer fact that they can cut through traffic.
Old 03-02-2013, 8:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
Chill dude, sounds like someone has HK envy.

So you've made your analysis about her needs and duties from one pic? You're pretty good! I'm sure she's been trained in the weapon's use and limitations. If I had to guess why they issue those to motor officers, it might be 'cuz the city council doesn't want them riding around with rifles on their bikes. That may sound far fetched, but they (the city fathers) pay for the guns, so they'll can decide how they're carried. The Silicon Valley has political sensitivities like everyone else.

Who said she'd never be clearing rooms? Being on a bike she has a good chance of being one of the first on scene of an active shooter. With LE's protocol of the first three or four officers on scene making entry to engage the suspect, her weapon would especially useful.

No doubt that weapon is just one of a number that rounds out the PD's tool box. There's no reason to get excited about a picture that was posted months ago.
yes Sir, I would love an HK... not the point.

I make a very good living from tactical analysis from just a few seconds look.

A department can issue her anything they want, a city counsel can do the same... and an expert in this field can tell them they are freaking idiots... so you need to chill as well.

Its the first time I have seen that pic, so I really don't care how long its been in existence.. I can show you a pic of a guy in 1965 using a rubber tube as a rifle sling... does that mean your analysis of his gear isn't valid? Again...you need to pop before you pop a vein over a thread on the net...LOL
Old 03-02-2013, 2:48 PM

Hayward PD bike cops got them too...
S.A.S.S #74217
Have Guns Will Travel
.45 Colt Enthusiast
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-02-2013, 7:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
yes Sir, I would love an HK... not the point.

I make a very good living from tactical analysis from just a few seconds look.

A department can issue her anything they want, a city counsel can do the same... and an expert in this field can tell them they are freaking idiots... so you need to chill as well.

Its the first time I have seen that pic, so I really don't care how long its been in existence.. I can show you a pic of a guy in 1965 using a rubber tube as a rifle sling... does that mean your analysis of his gear isn't valid? Again...you need to pop before you pop a vein over a thread on the net...LOL
Im not quite sure why you think a Police Officer would have no use for this firearm.

Its compact & easy to carry (great for Motor Officers). The ammunition is designed to defeat body armor, which is getting more & more common on the street. It has a very low recoil impulse, which is great for controllability & accuracy.

I just attended a 3 day "Active Shooter" course which was room/ building/ space clearing & dominance. The MP7 would be a GREAT tool for this.

Granted, its not the best tool for engagements out to 100 yards & beyond, but a good shooter could easily put rounds on target at that distance with that thing.

So again I say, why not?

~Pope John Paul II