Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 03-07-2018, 8:07 AM

Default My First Time...

I'm a relatively new FFL here in Central CA. I have a friend (no, really) who has a M1A with issues. I told him I'd like to take a look. I'm not a gunsmith but I've tinkered with M1s and M1As over the years. Its possible I may be able to figure it out, but there is an expert here locally if I fail. I'm not doing this for a fee, its just a favor to a friend. This rifle was DROSed to him before registration was required. If I were just a civilian I might not worry but as an FFL I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

I think I just need to enter the rifle in my bound book. And I think I need to DROS it back to him when I return it.

If I need to take it to a real gunsmith, I think I log it out of my bound book to the gunsmith, and then log it back in when the gunsmith returns it to me. Then I need to DROS it back to the owner.

Does all this sound correct? I assume the 10 day wait still applies in this case? If I have any of this wrong please steer me in the right direction. This is the first time I've dealt with a situation like this.

Thanks

Mike
Old 03-07-2018, 11:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

You are taking it in for gunsmith work, so no paperwork other than logging it into a gunsmith bound book required.

You can send it to another gunsmith, log it out and back in when it comes back, then log it out to the owner when done.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 03-07-2018, 12:53 PM

Just to be clear, I'm not a gunsmith, just a Type 1 FFL who likes to tinker. I don't have a gunsmith book, just my A&D book. Still the same process?

Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2018, 1:04 PM

If you hold on to the firearm for more than 30 days, it will need to be re-DROS’d to your friend
Old 03-07-2018, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy93 View Post
If you hold on to the firearm for more than 30 days, it will need to be re-DROS’d to your friend
Are you sure about that???? I have had guns at gunsmiths for years waiting on projects.
Old 03-07-2018, 5:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardo1895 View Post
Just to be clear, I'm not a gunsmith, just a Type 1 FFL who likes to tinker. I don't have a gunsmith book, just my A&D book. Still the same process?

Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Thanks
You are taking it in for gunsmith work, which makes you a gunsmith. You can note it in your bound book as gunsmith work or keep a separate book.

A bound book does need to be a book or bound, so you can print out your own and just have a separate book for gunsmith work to keep it separate.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 03-07-2018, 6:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCArmory View Post
Are you sure about that???? I have had guns at gunsmiths for years waiting on projects.
I don't believe it is correct. The 30 days is for loans and such, not gunsmith work, at least not that I am aware of.

Old 03-07-2018, 6:41 PM

Sorry you guys are correct, gunsmithing does not need a 4473 or new DROS..

Consignments however does (which is what I was confusing ithe rule with)