Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > WTB (Want To Buy)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

WTB (Want To Buy) Looking for an item? This is the place to post it! Read the rules before posting.

Old 08-18-2013, 8:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default WTB/WTT: engagement ring

As the title says, I'm looking to buy an engagement ring, whether from a private party, or from a dealer (an independent dealer is fine. If I wanted to overpay at a major retailer, I'd just go there). A trade for ammo or other gun-related odds and ends is possible. Sorry, you will not get my guns

The ring needs to be white gold, a decent natural diamond(s).

I'm in L.A. area.

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292

Last edited by nick; 08-18-2013 at 10:16 PM..
Old 08-18-2013, 9:01 PM

Where are you located? I may be able to help you out.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adx View Post
Where are you located? I may be able to help you out.
Ah, good point, forgot to add the location. I'm in the L.A. area.

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 08-19-2013, 2:04 AM

New 1 1/2c TW with 1.2Carat center solitaire/round stone 14K White gold SI-1 F-Color Includes: Cert/Appraisal of $5,500

$3,700.

Last edited by 1GunLover; 08-19-2013 at 2:07 AM..
Old 08-19-2013, 2:08 AM
Veteran Member

Take a look at Blue Nile or James Adams. They both look to have good quality at about a 30 - 40% discount from the brick and mortar stores. They both have lots of settings and stones to choose from. Remember the 4 C's, with Cut being the most important.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 08-19-2013, 8:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GunLover View Post
New 1 1/2c TW with 1.2Carat center solitaire/round stone 14K White gold SI-1 F-Color Includes: Cert/Appraisal of $5,500

$3,700.
Can you PM me the pictures, please?

Old 08-19-2013, 8:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Gamble View Post
Take a look at Blue Nile or James Adams. They both look to have good quality at about a 30 - 40% discount from the brick and mortar stores. They both have lots of settings and stones to choose from. Remember the 4 C's, with Cut being the most important.
Depends on the brick and mortar stores. Mall stores, sure, but the mall stores are grossly overpriced. The smaller family stores can be reasonable (and below what Blue Nile asks). I did my online search already, but I'd rather work with a small local jewelry store. Price is one consideration, the other one being actually seeing the ring.

Old 08-19-2013, 6:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

bump.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default pm sent

pm sent
Old 08-20-2013, 1:22 AM

PM email?
Old 08-20-2013, 6:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

How does Costco compare? Luckily they don't carry the diamond cut that my GF has been looking for but we always spend at least 10 minutes browsing.
Old 08-20-2013, 8:28 AM

I worked with blue Nile. Even after going to the LA diamond district. Sure you can't see the ring in person, but I was blown away worth what I got from them. As long as you have an idea of what you want you can build your own. I pretty much went through looking at small family owned businesses to they big retailers and was never impressed until I got the B.N. Order
Old 08-20-2013, 12:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by California44 View Post
What's the standard? Two months salary?
I don't care about such standards. I go by what the girl in question would like, and what I like. Personally, I'm not a big fan of jewelry, but I'm not buying it for myself either...

Old 08-20-2013, 12:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisagoodname View Post
How does Costco compare? Luckily they don't carry the diamond cut that my GF has been looking for but we always spend at least 10 minutes browsing.
I wouldn't know, I don't shop at Costco (not a big fan of their stance on guns).

Old 08-20-2013, 1:40 PM

My father is in the jewelry business, we can help you out no problem!
Old 08-20-2013, 7:45 PM

I own a jewelry store in downtown, LA jewelry district and specialize in engagement rings. PM me basic details and I'll have a diamond list ready for you within 24 hours and compare my prices with blue niles or james allen. Diamonds are new and NOT second hand. GIA or EGL certified.
Old 08-20-2013, 8:54 PM
Banned

Bluenile.com

They're great, no sales tax, fantastic customer service, 30 day return policy(just in case . lol) Awesome quality, and I found them to be a better deal than Costco.

Check them out. When I was shopping for rings, I couldn't find any retailer that could match them. (located in nor cal)
Old 08-20-2013, 9:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisagoodname View Post
Costco has some amazing stuff. Got my girls wedding band there. 1ct it was 2k. Comparable 1/2 ct bands at Zales and K not as nice were 4-5K.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."
~Thomas Jefferson

All I have in this world is my ball$ and my word, and I don't break them for no one.
~Scarface
Old 08-21-2013, 12:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I ended up making my Fiances engagement ring.
She really dug the idea of a truly custom ring that was like no other.
She showed me a bunch of rings for ideas on what she liked.
She also provided the diamond she wanted from her Mom's engagement ring that has been in her family 40+ years.

A friend of mine had made some rings from stainless damascus and I was able to get some of the same metal so all of our rings are of the same pattern steel.

It came out pretty good:

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.

Last edited by ar15barrels; 08-21-2013 at 12:42 AM..
Old 08-21-2013, 1:10 AM
Veteran Member

Wow randall
you must love her.
Old 08-21-2013, 1:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfifer View Post
Wow randall
you must love her.
She's a keeper...

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 08-21-2013, 5:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by California44 View Post
She will go by such standards.
Well, if she will, then it's not meant to be

Old 08-21-2013, 11:08 PM

Someone mentioned that the cut is the most important, but it really kind of depends on what your girl likes. If she is all about the number (carat) then having a superior cut isn't going to get her the bragging rights of saying a bigger stone. That being said, a 0.99 carat stone is worth less than a 1.00 carat stone assuming the same other qualities. And when it comes right down to it, we only buy diamonds to brag about what we can or cannot afford. Otherwise everyone would be fine with a zircon...right?

I have used bluenile to research what it is I am looking for, but if you cross reference Costco (sells more jewelry than anyone else btw) for prices, you can get a good idea of what the costs are going to be. If you are in LA then the access to a good wholesaler is going to be a valuable resource as they are going to have a wider selection. It is really important that you go look at the stone. If you saw two of the exact same spec diamonds such as two 1.0 carat, VS1, very good cut, F color stones, they could look just vastly different in person, and the GIA or whatever certificate used isn't going to show that.

Furthermore, mounting can play a large role in what diamond you get, as a good jeweler can make some inclusions disappear with the mounting of the diamond. Since you are going with white gold, I think it always looks better with at least a F or so color.

Just a couple tips that hopefully help, from a regular guy that likes jewelry a little too much. Hah!