Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 01-20-2021, 11:48 PM

Default Need help upgrading old PC. Goal: Light 4K video editing

So I upgraded my phone from a few months back. 4K vids....yay!

Then I got my first Gopro a month ago...Hero 9 Black...5K vids, yay!

Well, I'm looking to upgrade my budget build from 2013. I need to just assemble gopro videos and add some music at most.

This is my current setup at home:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 processor Black Edition @ 3.4GHz
RAM: Samsung DDR3 4gb x 2 = 8gb ram
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme 4 AM3+
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/990FX%20Extreme4/

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6670
http://www.hisdigital.com/us/product2-672.shtml

PSU: Corsair TX650M

HD1 with Win 7 Pro O/S: Verbatim 120 GB SATA III Internal SSD 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch 47378

HD2 for storage: Western Digital 2TB WD Black Performance Internal Hard Drive - 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD2003FZEX

Case: Corsair VENGEANCE® C70 Mid-Tower
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego.../CC-9011018-WW

What should I attack first?

Also...
If I add a 3rd HD/SSD, can I install Windows 10 on that and still keep Win 7 Pro on my 1st SSD? Like a dual OS system?

Last edited by WarBoyNux; 01-28-2021 at 11:22 AM..
Old 01-20-2021, 11:53 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Ditch the spinning disk HD2. Clone it to a 2TB or 4TB SSD. Manipulating GoPro vids is insufferable without SSD

Old 01-21-2021, 12:06 AM

Defidently going to need quite a bit more ram to edit 4k. Not sure what editing program you are planning on using but I myself would consider 16gb ram to be the bare minimum to make an editing program like premier usable, 32GB to really be able to run things much more smoothly, but not sure how much those older components will bottleneck you, How much are you willing to spend to upgrade? You might be able to just build a brand new budget build that will do you much better.

Also, I would maybe suggest signing up on the forums at oc3d.net and asking there. They always help me out, they have some very smart guys.

I have a 10 year old rig that I am now buying parts to replace with a new rig.

I would also use pcpartpicker to virtually build or add to your PC and it will usually let you know if there may be any issues with any of your parts that may not work or have issues with other components in your build.

You might be better off with a whole new build that will serve your needs for the next 8 to 10 years. The money you put into that old pc might be better invested in a new system. Heck, just for what you spent on that go pro you could get a Great ryzen CPU, Motherboard and probably easily 32GB of some nice DDR4 3200 ram. Maybe use your old case or buy a new one for well under a hundred that may have fans included. PSU's are pretty inexpensive, then you just need fo find a good new video card but, you maybe be able to just use your old card from your current system for now until you can upgrade it, as long as it is pcie it should be good to go, you could just hook up your old ssd and run off of that without having to install a new OS or anything, With a new MOBO you will have faster transfer speeds from your camera to your pc etc. You could start with something like the popular ryzen 5 3600 cpu that runs just under $200 right now and comes with a cooler, but I would not use that cooler, you will want to invest in something that with better cooling ability on that chip, You can find a good air cooler for well under $100 that will do the job, I am throwing my 10-year-old monster of an awesome Noctua NH-D14 on mine. Most of the cost is going to be your ram and video card and decent video cards are harder to find right now than N94 masks were last march, most everyone sold out due to high demand and what is out there is usually marked way up, but I figure in a couple of months supply will be back and prices back to normal. Hopefully, any video editing program you are using will be able to utilize your graphics card to really speed rendering up. I think most editing programs that have GPU acceleration (Proper term?) work with intel cards but not sure how many of the older AMD cards are compatible. I have programs like aftereffects that I use for editing video (more of a special effects program but works for simple editing as well) but it can not work with my AMD card.

Disclaimer, I am a novice myself so take my advice with a grain of salt. I would suggest again going over to oc3d.net and getting on those forums where all the pc wizards hang out.

Keep us updated

Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 01-21-2021 at 1:06 AM..
Old 01-21-2021, 12:43 PM

After sleeping on it, I thinking I am going to do these 3-4 things.

1. Double the ram to at least 16gb. Maybe go to 32gb.
2. Add a SSD 2 TB drive.
3. Install Win 10 on new SSD.
4. Overclock my CPU. I bought the Black Edition with always intending to overclock it and even bought/installed the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo to keep it cool, but never did.

In the end, if I don't achieve my results with a budget of say $300-$400, then for 95% of my daily use, my old PC would still be fine and I would start doing the research for a new build that would be dedicated to 4K video editing.

Last edited by WarBoyNux; 01-21-2021 at 12:46 PM..
Old 01-21-2021, 1:26 PM

For working storage while editing, the SSD will be nice, along with a Gucci GPU and more RAM stacked up, 32 if possible.

For archiving, a spinning HDD should be fine, especially if you RAID mirror a pair of drives.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2021, 2:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBoyNux View Post
After sleeping on it, I thinking I am going to do these 3-4 things.

1. Double the ram to at least 16gb. Maybe go to 32gb.
2. Add a SSD 2 TB drive.
3. Install Win 10 on new SSD.
4. Overclock my CPU. I bought the Black Edition with always intending to overclock it and even bought/installed the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo to keep it cool, but never did.

In the end, if I don't achieve my results with a budget of say $300-$400, then for 95% of my daily use, my old PC would still be fine and I would start doing the research for a new build that would be dedicated to 4K video editing.
Definitely go to 32 GB on the RAM. I run 64GB on my laptop. And if you can get away with it, buy your memory in 16GB sticks and leave two slots open for future additions to 64GB.

When you install Win 10 Pro, or any operating system, be sure to physically disconnect any other drives, internal and external, while installing. If you do not do that, it will create all kinds of problems. I know. I did it the wrong way once and it was a nightmare.

Do not overclock your CPU unless you find that it's absolutely necessary. Do the other stuff first.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur

Last edited by sonofeugene; 01-21-2021 at 2:20 PM..
Old 01-21-2021, 2:31 PM

If you're local to SF Bay Area, I have a Ryzen 3 3.1ghz, 24gb ram, with an Asrock Phantom RX570 4gb gpu. 256gb SSD with 1TB backup. Keyboard and mouse. $500 come get it.
Old 01-21-2021, 4:39 PM

Whatever you do is, of course, ultimately your decision.

Do not believe that the platter drives will take you anywhere even close to the interface speed of SATA 6Gb/s. Nowhere near even a momentary burst close to that speed let alone sustainability.

Go SSD (or better) as if you have absolutely no other option. This is where the rubber meets the road. Anything less and you'll be shortchanging yourself.
Old 01-21-2021, 4:59 PM

Start the foundation off right. That 650 watt bronze is going to come back as a loss when you end up getting a better video card that what you initially targeted.

Increase the wattage, and if financially affordable, go with a better standard.

Avoiding sugar talk, bronze is equivalent to low budget. The expectations should not give confidence of delivering what the numbers on the box advertise.
Old 01-21-2021, 6:24 PM

Don't waste your money on old tech, just get a new MB, salvage what you can from the old one, and go from there.
There is no week nor day nor hour, when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their supreme confidence in themselves -- and lose their roughness and spirit of defiance -- Tyranny may always enter -- there is no charm, no bar against it -- the only bar against it is a large resolute breed of men.

-Walt Whitman
Old 01-22-2021, 5:41 AM
Veteran Member

That's what I did three months ago with a couple of Phenom boxes here--a complete-guts upgrade. They're both about 8 years old.

The new hardware is as follows.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3200G w/ integrated Vega 8 graphics
MB #1: Asus Tuf Gaming X570-Plus (Socket AM4)
MB #2: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 (Socket AM4)
DRAM: 32GB each of DDR4 (one stick--both MB's support 128GB each)
Primary Storage: 1TB M.2-style SSD
Secondary Storage: 8TB Seagate hard disk drive

My primary reasons for going with a new motherboard is DRAM and especially the SSD storage. The DRAM, we all know about already. The old MB can support up to 16GB, and 8 years ago, that was a good future-proofing, but time and technology both have marched on. Both new MB's can support up to 128GB, and each will soon have 64GB (two 32GB sticks). I've always believed in having, well, a "large RAM" in my computer. I/O has always been the bottleneck, especially HDD's. Ever since Windows NT 3.51 in 1995 and the first versions of GNU/Linux and FreeBSD, modern OS's have been able to take advantage of "extra" DRAM as an OS cache and make good use of it. This speeds up a computer YUUUUUUGE-ly.

Now, the SSD's. I cannot describe the speed difference by not having to wait for the read-write heads to run across the platters; you have to experience it. It's great. I upgraded a couple of old laptops from platters to SATA SSD, and wow. The M.2 format SSD's are even faster, and the new motherboards support them. Both of my motherboards have two M.2 SSD slots, so if you've got the money, you could buy two 2TB M.2 SSD's and have 4TB of really fast storage. And I do mean really fast.

I have another 8-core AMD box, from about 6 years ago, which I'm going to upgrade with a PCIe board containing an M.2 SSD slot. It fits into the smaller PCIe slots, which I am not using on that box, so that should be a really nice I/O upgrade. Once that's done, the Kubuntu GNU/Linux OS will get reinstalled onto the M.2 SSD, along with /home. The 8TB HDD will be mounted as /archive. DRAM is getting upgraded to that box's max of 32GB.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

Last edited by Cowboy T; 01-22-2021 at 5:46 AM..
Old 01-22-2021, 6:06 AM

buy a base mac mini with m1 chip and start editing
Old 01-22-2021, 9:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzigalil View Post
buy a base mac mini with m1 chip and start editing
Never did like Apple's "walled garden"...and I'm now also concerned about what they did with the Parler app, whether I personally agree with Parler or not. Not so sure it's a good idea to give that company our money....
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 01-22-2021, 9:46 AM

You can buy a decent pc for what you are going to piss away on that old pc. JMHO
Old 01-27-2021, 6:29 AM
Peddler/ vagabond
CGN Contributor

You can get away with a new PC now adays.
AMD and Intel keep pumping out newer cpus and variants so the 2nd gen ryzens are cheap.(R52600 around 150, R72700 around 175)
350-390 boards are cheap and still good especially if using a 2nd gen Ryzen.
But soon the 450 chipset will be bare minimum because 4.0 pci and the fancy ddr6 is coming out soon and blah blah blah.
Or just buy a PC that has a 8 core CPU and be done.
Worst time to buy GPUs FYI.
Old 01-27-2021, 6:34 AM
Peddler/ vagabond
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
That's what I did three months ago with a couple of Phenom boxes here--a complete-guts upgrade. They're both about 8 years old.

The new hardware is as follows.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3200G w/ integrated Vega 8 graphics
MB #1: Asus Tuf Gaming X570-Plus (Socket AM4)
MB #2: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 (Socket AM4)
DRAM: 32GB each of DDR4 (one stick--both MB's support 128GB each)
Primary Storage: 1TB M.2-style SSD
Secondary Storage: 8TB Seagate hard disk drive
Nice, I dont mean to jack but I have similar spare parts I want to build a SFF, so far I have a R52400g, rog strix 570, MSI B450 itx, and 32gb ram 2666mhz. I just need time and the rest of the parts.
Old 01-27-2021, 7:32 PM
Veteran Member

RAID with striping with SSD gets even faster speeds.
Old 01-28-2021, 3:49 AM
Calguns Addict

This would be an upgrade, not a build...
Just like on an AR... you already have.
Old 01-28-2021, 9:57 PM

B550 MB + R5 3600/R7 3700 and dont cheap out on Power Supply.
Old 02-02-2021, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBoyNux View Post
So I upgraded my phone from a few months back. 4K vids....yay!

Then I got my first Gopro a month ago...Hero 9 Black...5K vids, yay!

Well, I'm looking to upgrade my budget build from 2013. I need to just assemble gopro videos and add some music at most.

This is my current setup at home:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 processor Black Edition @ 3.4GHz
RAM: Samsung DDR3 4gb x 2 = 8gb ram

Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme 4 AM3+
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/990FX%20Extreme4/

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6670
http://www.hisdigital.com/us/product2-672.shtml

PSU: Corsair TX650M

HD1 with Win 7 Pro O/S: Verbatim 120 GB SATA III Internal SSD 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch 47378

HD2 for storage: Western Digital 2TB WD Black Performance Internal Hard Drive - 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD2003FZEX

Case: Corsair VENGEANCE® C70 Mid-Tower
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego.../CC-9011018-WW

What should I attack first?

Also...
If I add a 3rd HD/SSD, can I install Windows 10 on that and still keep Win 7 Pro on my 1st SSD? Like a dual OS system?
Check out Toms Hardware site - https://www.tomshardware.com/