Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 04-24-2013, 9:16 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Default Reid Introduces Bill for BG Checks for Ammo and Powder

Looks like the rest of the nation will be getting a taste of what we are facing.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...or-ammunition/

Old 04-24-2013, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Looks like the rest of the nation will be getting a taste of what we are facing.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...or-ammunition/

This will probably not pass out of the Senate and it certainly will not pass out of the House.
Old 04-24-2013, 9:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 451040 View Post
This will probably not pass out of the Senate and it certainly will not pass out of the House.
what like CISPA? ok we shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I think this thread needs a rest…..
Old 04-24-2013, 9:47 AM
Veteran Member

Article from The Hill:

Quote:
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) on Tuesday introduced a bill that would require background checks to be run on anyone buying explosive powder, a reaction to last week's Boston Marathon bombing.

Reid introduced the bill, S. 792, for Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.), who has been out sick for much of the year. But in a press statement, Lautenberg said the Boston bombing shows that background checks are needed for explosive materials.

"It defies common sense that anyone, even a terrorist, can walk into a store in America and buy explosive powders without a background check or any questions asked," Lautenberg said Tuesday. "Requiring a background check for an explosives permit is a small price to pay to ensure the safety of our communities.

Under current law, people can buy up to 50 pounds of explosive "black powder" with no background check, and can buy unlimited amounts of other explosive powders, such as "black powder substitute" and "smokeless powder."

Lautenberg's bill would require a background check for the purchase of any of these powders.

It would also let the attorney general stop the sale of explosives if a background check shows the applicant is a known or suspected terrorist, and if there is a belief the explosives will be used for terrorism.

It would also require a permit to make homemade explosives, and direct the government to study how to better trace the use of explosive powders.
Old 04-24-2013, 9:50 AM

The insanity train chugs on and on.

Old 04-24-2013, 9:50 AM

background check for fireworks
Old 04-24-2013, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugo View Post
what like CISPA?

Got apples to oranges?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

where is the BG check for pressure cookers?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Calguns Addict

I had a bad google fu day yesterday trying to find non fud 401k info (all the info on the subject on the interwebs is fud..) so I'm just going to ask... do people want to use gunpowder for bombs or is it a poor choice for any reason? I know they usually seem to use something else but I don't know if that has more to do with it being easier to get large amounts or whatnot.

I know most of us have not lost hands or fingers in misfires that caused our gun to explode so I thought I'd ask.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:20 AM

And this will go absolutely nowhere.

Thomas Jefferson.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Calguns Addict

This is a waste of our tax dollars
/thread.

ΦΑ
Old 04-24-2013, 10:30 AM

I'm really sick of these a-holes. Everyday I read about them intoducing new laws that accomplish nothing. As far as I'm aware, the pressure cooker bomb used in the Boston attack had no gunpowder.
I also heard that William Sonoma has pulled the pressure cooker from their shelves.... stupid and moronic continues.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Wasn't this bill talked about the day after the bombing, before anyone knew what was used? They just cant stop dancing in the blood of innocent victims.

they should ban that book fight club too, i hear they tell you how to make explosives from fat and soap. ban the internet too, o wait cispa already taking care of that.
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfeeis View Post
Wasn't this bill talked about the day after the bombing, before anyone knew what was used? They just cant stop dancing in the blood of innocent victims.

they should ban that book fight club too, i hear they tell you how to make explosives from fat and soap. ban the internet too, o wait cispa already taking care of that.
THIS!
I havent "researched" per say but the "official" findings Ive read thus far have been implicating that they bought a large amount of fireworks and removed the powder from them. Nothing Ive read (feel free to post a linky if anyones read different) has mentioned modern ammunition grade smokeless powder. Ofcourse you could just utilize common sense.. Anyone whose ever dealt with smokeless powder knows that those explosions were NOT modern gunpowder. Black powder maybe..
Irregardless, if they had been constructed with smokeless..laws like this do nothing..I really hope Reids stupidity and commentary the last few days gets him unemployed next voting cycle..
Old 04-24-2013, 10:43 AM

So, let me see if I understand this...

Russia, the country, asked the FBI, the top law enforcement agency in this country, to investigate (background check) Tamerlan Tsarnaev for possible ties to extremist organizations. The FBI conducted its check and found no reason to suspect him or do any further checking. BUT, Reid and Lautenberg, the idiots that they are, want to institute a background check system, to ensure that someone like Tamerlan Tsarnaev can't buy fireworks or smokeless powder?
Tell me morons, wtf would a background check at the state level turn up that the FBI couldn't turn up? And what would have stopped older brother from having younger brother buy the powder?
And if they can't buy powder, what's to stop them from going to fertilizer and fuel?
IDIOTS!
Old 04-24-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin0123 View Post
where is the BG check for pressure cookers?
They won't ban all pressure cookers. Just automatic assault pressure cookers with high capacity detachable pressure valves.

Or they could just go for the pressure cookers of war and ban any pressure cooker that looks like one that the military purchases for their kitchens.

SIGH

Calguns Addict

Reid, a former favorite of the NRA and an exemplar of how some elected Democrats really are true to our RKBA.

Introduced terminally stupid legislation.
Veteran Member

I find this bit interesting..
Quote:
It would also require a permit to make homemade explosives, and direct the government to study how to better trace the use of explosive powders.
So I wonder if they can apply that to reloading???

Subscribe to my YouTube channel ---->http://www.youtube.com/user/2A4USA
Old 04-24-2013, 10:54 AM

Someone wake me when they get to BG checks for steer manure...
Old 04-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNinerFan View Post
No need. Just put a bucket in front of DiFi's mouth and you'll get loads of them for free.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Banned

When will the BG checks for pressure cookers start?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The Boston bombers would have passed a background check. Yet another bill that will do nothing but place another burden on citizens.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 04-24-2013, 12:00 PM

Keep digging that political grave Reid.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Need to include fireworks, since that appears to be the source of the powder used:

http://gma.yahoo.com/boston-bombs-li...opstories.html
Old 04-24-2013, 12:10 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Boston bombers, the older brother was cleared by the FBI. He would cleared a background check. The younger brother had no dealings with any LE agency, he would be passed more easily. How would bg checks on powder solve anything?

What next for Democrats, background checks before one can access the Internet? The bombers learned how to make their pressure cooker bombs from the Internet.

And people call pro-2a supporters crazies....

Auto-Ordnance 1911-A1 .45 ACP
Česká Zbrojovka CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm
Heckler & Koch VP9 9mm
Kimber 1911 "Raptor II" .45 ACP
Remington 870 Tactical Express 12gauge
Sig Sauer P226 MK25 Navy 9mm
Springfield Armory 1911 "MC Operator" .45 ACP
Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm
Old 04-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
Need to include fireworks, since that appears to be the source of the powder used:

This news isn't going to go over well "South of the Border".

Old 04-24-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMTluvr View Post
THIS!
I havent "researched" per say but the "official" findings Ive read thus far have been implicating that they bought a large amount of fireworks and removed the powder from them. Nothing Ive read (feel free to post a linky if anyones read different) has mentioned modern ammunition grade smokeless powder. Ofcourse you could just utilize common sense.. Anyone whose ever dealt with smokeless powder knows that those explosions were NOT modern gunpowder. Black powder maybe..
Irregardless, if they had been constructed with smokeless..laws like this do nothing..I really hope Reids stupidity and commentary the last few days gets him unemployed next voting cycle..
Yeah but they could. We don't make laws like this based on what happened or what might have prevented what happened, we make laws like this based on what could happen and might be worse in our imaginations.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Why don't they just pass a law against making bombs? Surely this would save lives...more laws...I'm sure it would...
Old 04-24-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNinerFan View Post
Better stock up now while it's only 99 cents a bag at home depot.
Buy it cheep, stack it deep. Not in the house of course.

Quote:

Pretty soon it will be a felony if you get caught smuggling fireworks from Tijuana.

Or constructive possession to have motor oil and fertilizer on the same property.

Last edited by autoduel; 04-24-2013 at 12:26 PM..
Old 04-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsandoc40 View Post
Boston bombers, the older brother was cleared by the FBI. He would cleared a background check. The younger brother had no dealings with any LE agency, he would be passed more easily. How would bg checks on powder solve anything?
Good point!

Quote:
What next for Democrats, background checks before one can access the Internet? ...
or Toomey, Collins, Kirk, McCain ...
Old 04-24-2013, 12:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki View Post
So, let me see if I understand this...

Russia, the country, asked the FBI, the top law enforcement agency in this country, to investigate (background check) Tamerlan Tsarnaev for possible ties to extremist organizations. The FBI conducted its check and found no reason to suspect him or do any further checking. BUT, Reid and Lautenberg, the idiots that they are, want to institute a background check system, to ensure that someone like Tamerlan Tsarnaev can't buy fireworks or smokeless powder?
Tell me morons, wtf would a background check at the state level turn up that the FBI couldn't turn up? And what would have stopped older brother from having younger brother buy the powder?
And if they can't buy powder, what's to stop them from going to fertilizer and fuel?
IDIOTS!
Yeah; good point. This is about a pre crime check.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancommando View Post
When will the BG checks for pressure cookers start?
Glad I have a preregistration one...
Old 04-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

anyone have word on how many black powder bombs have been used to injure anyone in the past 100 years? So far I have one. Im confident that molotov cocktails have been used more, not to mention gasoline. Quick NICS check at the gas pump? No problem! Now coming to California, the 10-day wait list for gas fill ups!
Old 04-24-2013, 12:38 PM

How about they stop handing out visas, green cards, asylum etc to anyone and everyone they can bring in, put at the taxpayer trough and count on for a dem vote next election. Why do they continue to punish law abiding citizens for the actions of their unvetted foreign imports? How many sacred rights have WE lost due to the actions of these people??? Enough!
Old 04-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Im confident that molotov cocktails have been used more, not to mention gasoline. Quick NICS check at the gas pump? No problem! Now coming to California, the 10-day wait list for gas fill ups!
Bingo! Clearly we need to pass laws against Molotov cocktails! What civilized country allows them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Belle View Post
How about they stop handing out visas, green cards, asylum etc to anyone and everyone they can bring in, put at the taxpayer trough and count on for a dem vote next election. Why do they continue to punish law abiding citizens for the actions of their unvetted foreign imports? How many sacred rights have WE lost due to the actions of these people??? Enough!
Absolutely. Let's ban immigrants AND Molotov cocktails.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:51 PM

Sneaky, sneaky those ants are. If this passes it's so easy to modify the explosive criteria to mean a device such as all rifles and handguns.
Old 04-24-2013, 1:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Re: the Boston Bombers ablity to pass a background check:

The older brother would not have passed: He was refused U.S. citizenship because of a DV history. That likely would have made him a prohibited person.

Re: him being cleared by the FBI, that was only regarding his ties to Muslim extremist groups, not a background check for weapon ownership.

Last edited by Doheny; 04-24-2013 at 9:41 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 04-24-2013, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iminocca View Post
Why don't they just pass a law against making bombs? Surely this would save lives...more laws...I'm sure it would...
Yeah, just add it to the already long list of laws that prohibit making, transporting or possessing explosive devices. I am sure they'll work as well or better than those already codefied. These MORONS know their new laws won't work, but they have to justify their phoney, BS jobs somehow!
Old 04-24-2013, 7:33 PM

Just another attempt to take away someones rights. You have to get with the times and find a new "greener" earth friendly propellent.
Old 04-24-2013, 7:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Quote:
"It defies common sense that anyone, even a terrorist, can walk into a store in America and buy explosive powders without a background check or any questions asked," Lautenberg said Tuesday. "Requiring a background check for an explosives permit is a small price to pay to ensure the safety of our communities."
Imagine how background checks and licenses will go down with Americans. Buying fireworks. For Independence Day. And a ten-day wait to celebrate freedom.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche