Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 05-14-2012, 3:01 PM

Default Where can I get....

My uncle bequeathed me a wonderful 1917. It's a Remington (of course; he worked for DuPont for a long time), and I will be forever grateful and eternally cussing him at the same time. He ground the rear sight totally down and buffed over the screw(s) that held it on, so there is nothing there, nothing at all. Its really set up for a scope mount, but I would much rather use the receiver sight that's with it. The trouble with that is that the stock, which is not stock (Sorry, couldn't resist) is cut for a scope. It has that lovely bulge on the top meant to raise your cheek and eyes to the right level. So your head is high enough to see a scope, but your only option is the receiver sight. Result is a scrunched-up cheek weld and while I haven't gotten a black eye from it, neither can I get really comfortable and good with it.

Long story short (too late, I know) - where can I get a new stock for it? I'd prefer wood, but I will take a plastic one if I must. The one that's on there is, in a word, immense.

And no cop-outs telling me to mount a scope. I have what I think are the mounts for it (he custom ground those, too!), but they will require a long eye relief scout scope and I don't want/can't afford to go that route.
Old 05-14-2012, 3:46 PM
Veteran Member

Boyds...

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/US-ENF...-p/300-296.htm
Old 05-14-2012, 7:09 PM

Holy crap - I must have checked into Boyd's before and forgotten about this. Because I started typing and the computer remembered it from someplace. Thanks for the tip. I haven't worked with wood since wood shop in 7th grade. I will ask around and see if any of my few cronies at work know more than I do.

You would think, though, that someone would have made a plastic one by now, wouldn't you? After all, there are quite a few Enfields still out there and there could be some money made. That's my take on it, though, not reality.
Old 05-14-2012, 7:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

You could also try,
CMP (made by Boyds & a few bucks cheaper)
Springfield Sporters

FYI- Plastic Stock on a M1917 would Kick Your Booty to heck & back!

I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Secret Club Member?.
Old 05-15-2012, 3:32 PM

Yeah, I was wondering about that. It's bad enough shooting the wood (see my comments under that recoil reduction thread), I guess. So I will live with it. It might well be cheaper to get a scope than a wood stock. But what do you get with a cheap scope? Don't you just get a scope that self-destructs in a few rounds? Or is that what warranties are for?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like a decent sporter -- why return to an issue stock? -- Since the ears are ground off if can never be economically restored.
just use gramps rifle with pride.
Old 05-16-2012, 2:45 PM

Oh believe me I do (and it was an uncle, not gramps....all HE left me were three thoroughly rusted out hulks of guns that long since proved useless). It's just an awkward scrunch to get the receiver sights in line with my tired old eyes. Monte Carlo-type stock, see?
Old 05-16-2012, 2:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a really nice sporterized military stock that sounds like what you are looking for. Pm me if you like to see a picture of it.