Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 10-13-2018, 3:36 PM

Default Duck hunting from your boat

Ok guys, I just got a boat and I want to hunt off it but Iím not sure exactly where to go. Delta, sac river , another river maybe? Donít need a honey hole just some options would be great!
Old 10-13-2018, 5:12 PM

Where are you located? What kind of boat, motor?
Old 10-14-2018, 7:49 AM

Im in the bay area. Its a 20 ft flat bottom. i have been refuge hunting and a little bay hunting.
Old 10-14-2018, 8:14 AM
Veteran Member

1000 miles of waterways.

Old 10-14-2018, 9:43 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting. I know a couple of good spots, but don't have a boat. Need to launch from Alviso though, so there is a seasonal parking pass involved.......

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 10-14-2018, 9:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Your gonna like it where ever you end up.

I did this from a raft long ago, was a blast !
Old 10-14-2018, 10:00 AM

I posted this in the wrong topic, this is where I meant to post this reply:

"Here's a link a topic that I posted that may interest you. The topic has the waterfowl hunting info for the US FWS, San Pablo Bay National Wildlife Refuge, a press release, and the waterfowl hunting page.

See about placing a blind off of Point Pinole Regional Park's shoreline, or the protected Richmond shoreline. Back in the day, they towed a structure out there, a square frame covered in palm fronds, it had shooting ports and openings where a boat can pull in abd out, decoys were placed around the blind, it resemble a pontoon boat, the blinds were left out all season, they may have a concession managing that cove or shoreline, here's where you can start:"

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1481388
Old 10-14-2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Interesting. I know a couple of good spots, but don't have a boat.
I'm also interested. Do you hunt them a lot? I heard there was very bad two or three seasons at Alviso. I think of trying it this season. Any pointers?
Old 10-14-2018, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyCat View Post
I'm also interested. Do you hunt them a lot? I heard there was very bad two or three seasons at Alviso. I think of trying it this season. Any pointers?
Probably because the Bay & Delta shoot better in dry years and we just had a few real wet years.
There are too many in this forum that do nothing. Don't vote, don't belong to the NRA, don't donate time and or money, etc etc so the anti-gun bills will just keep coming and coming. You are right. Us doing nothing at all won't help.
Old 10-14-2018, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
Probably because the Bay & Delta shoot better in dry years and we just had a few real wet years.
Thank you sir, you sound like you know what you are talking about. I hope i'll have same expertise someday.
Should i wait a couple more years to let it dry some more?
Old 10-14-2018, 9:13 PM

It's all about the weather up north (how frozen is the kalamath basin) multiplied by what is the weather doing in the north sac valley( wind , rain , freezing ) dvided by the local weather ( wind , rain x storms from north or south ) and to the x power ( how many idiots are trying to hunt the same spot as you )

I've got some honey holes in don Edwards but don't really like hunting because the birds are doo doo.
Old 10-14-2018, 9:35 PM
Veteran Member

I have a friend that hunts from a boat. Be careful! Fog, shallow water, obstacles in the water, windy weather, etc. He hunts around the Sutter Buttes.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
I have a friend that hunts from a boat. Be careful! Fog, shallow water, obstacles in the water, windy weather, etc. He hunts around the Sutter Buttes.
Some people on this forum know they way around in Alviso as well as some good spots. Maybe they can help us out with some pointers.
Old 10-15-2018, 5:09 AM

Randy - PM me. I've relocated to TX but can give you some pointers on Alviso / South Bay and get you in touch with some folks still in the area.
Old 10-15-2018, 7:31 AM

OP, just look on google maps, find a good looking slough, creek, marsh, salt ponds, then search the name with duck hunting, see what you come up with.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Regions/3/Hunts/ELER

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Regions/3
Quote:
Regional Manager: Gregg Erickson
Main Office: 2825 Cordelia Road, Suite 100, Fairfield, CA 94534 | (707) 428-2002
Stockton Office: 2109 Arch Airport Rd, Stockton, CA 95206 | (209) 234-3420
Email the Bay Delta Region | Program Contacts
There has always been duck hunting on the bays and in the delta, Sherman Island, hunters don't like us giving out exact locations, but they are easy to find and set up on. You don't need a boat to successfully hunt ducks on public lands, they are easy to find.
Old 10-15-2018, 8:40 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

The Klamath Basin doesn't hold birds anything like it did historically or even 25 years ago. The reason is there is no damn water. The area is in a decades long drought which affects agricultural practices and what's planted which in turns affect waterfowl b/c historically they went bonkers in the marsh and would hit the ag fields for grain, potatoes, you name it. When those fields are left fallow, well the food density isn't there. Nor is both sides of Tule/LK flooded to capacity. Finally the snows and specks dont' stop there anymore. They go straight to Sac Refuge starting in August.

What really holds the birds is the Columbia Basin and it trickles down from there. As yote mentioned you need those areas to freeze or as better described the ice to lock up. Meaning there is little to no open water. Most ducks leave before lockup but mallards will stay as long as there are swans or geese to keep the ice off in patches.

For the OP and Randy, I would never wait for less rain or whatever. Just get out there and hunt. There are no absolutes in hunting and especially ducks/geese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 10-15-2018, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusgunn3 View Post
Im in the bay area. Its a 20 ft flat bottom. i have been refuge hunting and a little bay hunting.
What kind of motor do you have on it, will you be installing a blind on it?

hunting from a boat takes a lot of time on the water and searching google earth for good holes. Someone probably has put a blind up in the holes that look good at first glance, although its public you don't want to be imposing on people who put time to get a blind up, especially people with guns.

A couple tips on boating saftey

Blind, Decoys, guns and ammo add alot of weight your boat, understand this well before you go out hunting.

Know your Limit! Make sure you know what winds and currents will have on the effect of your loaded boat, I have a small boat and will not go out in winds gusting over 15 mph. Ive been in some pretty scary situations with overloading in past, I don't take any chances now.

a Good GPS/Fishfinder that shows traces when going out in the dark and fog is as important as your gun is to hunting. Make sure you go to your hunting spot during the day and get a trace on your GPS so you can follow it when its pitch black or foggy. Get to the docks early and give yourself plenty of time to get to your hunting spot , you might be able to go only a few miles per hour if it's foggy

Understand the tides and the effect on that spot you plan on hunting on, you might not be able to get in or out at the time you planned on.

Wear a life vest at least when driving to and from your hunting spot!

You can get really good lights cheap for the boat, also have a good handheld spot light.
Old 10-15-2018, 9:17 AM

Thank you everyone for the info! I hope the birds are plentiful this year for us all!
Old 10-15-2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Thank you sir, you sound like you know what you are talking about. I hope i'll have same expertise someday.
Should i wait a couple more years to let it dry some more?
Just an observation and from what I hear from some of the old timers who hunt Don Edwards a lot. I haven't hunted there since 2015 but the 3 years prior were really good during the drought and rumor was it had to do with less water in the valley. I'm hoping to hit the lower Delta a bunch this year from my boat. I just started poking around last season but didn't put a whole lot into it. Might see ya out there, I'll be in a camo Tracker. Good luck!
There are too many in this forum that do nothing. Don't vote, don't belong to the NRA, don't donate time and or money, etc etc so the anti-gun bills will just keep coming and coming. You are right. Us doing nothing at all won't help.
Old 10-15-2018, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
I'm hoping to hit the lower Delta a bunch this year from my boat. I just started poking around last season but didn't put a whole lot into it. Might see ya out there, I'll be in a camo Tracker. Good luck!
I'll be at Alviso. Let me know if and when you are there
I'll do weekdays only to avoid all the comotion.
BTW, my boat is camo tracker too. Are you sure we are not in the same boat?

Last edited by RandyCat; 10-15-2018 at 7:47 PM..
Old 10-15-2018, 8:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Killed a bunch of teal last year as well as a few mallards, Widgeon, and bluebill.. I have an acquaintance with a boat that took me out there a few times so I know a couple of good areas.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

Last edited by bigbossman; 10-15-2018 at 8:33 PM..
Old 10-15-2018, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
I have an acquaintance with a boat that took me out there a few times so I know a couple of good areas.
Sooo, you are going to burn his honeyholes... Does he know about it?
Anyway, any pointers? what areas should i look into?

I can PM you
Old 10-17-2018, 6:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Sooo, you are going to burn his honeyholes... Does he know about it?
Anyway, any pointers? what areas should i look into?

I can PM you
Naw..... I won't do that. He's taken me out several times, and I've seen lots of sloughs that we didn't hunt that should produce.

I'm up for a hunt though, if you have room in your boat and are of a mind to have a passenger. I'll even split boat gas with you, and help you clean the boat afterwards. Evan Boyle can vouch for me - I show up on time, don't get in the way and I'm easy to please. I even have my own life vest!