Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 10-02-2018, 1:08 AM

Default CCW Range & Class Horror/Funny Stories

I am sure you guys have seen some interesting people during range qualifications days, think mine were a little boring.

Older gentleman, 65-68, new Kimber .45 ACP, we are cleared to the 25 yard line (training at Ben Clark Center Riverside) . As we are given the low down he asked,, “When do I load my magazine?” Sheriff said “Now would be a very good time” man asked “both of them”?

One man had six guns on roster to qualify with, heard he had to requalify.
One gentleman took gun out of holster when ask ‘How you doing?”

I Saw my first target (qualified Beretta 96 .40 s&w, second S&W MP9shield) one round low left, second closer to center mass, I was worried I was on cut line, until I saw others, several on the white paper, one target only 10 scattered holes.

No range violations when I left but if it was me, couple dozen would have been sent to get further training.
Old 10-02-2018, 8:22 AM

"Both of them"?

That would have made me laugh a lot. My classes have been ok.
Once at boarding team school, I saw a young lady try and tactical load her lip stick into an 870. Now that was funny. She was not even wearing lip stick.

Last edited by Skip_Dog; 10-11-2018 at 12:18 PM..
Old 10-02-2018, 10:00 AM

Right after the instructor gave the instruction that it was clear to fire during the live fire portion of my CCW class, the guy next to me fired off his first round and it was dead center of the forehead at 7yds.

After seeing that, the instructor yelled out, "Center mass shots only!." The guy looked at me and said, "I was aiming for the center mass."
Old 10-02-2018, 4:54 PM
Retired Kamikaze Pilot
CGN Contributor

The same person made these 3 mistakes.

The instructor made it abundantly clear that the command to fire would not be the word " fire." The first word out of the instructor's mouth was FIRE! BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!! Fail #1.

Then, the same person loaded the bullets for his G19 backwards into his magazine and couldn't figure out why his pistol wouldn't fire. Fail #2.

Again, same person. Improper grip led to a nasty case of slide bite. Blood is dripping in big gobs onto the floor of the range. "I'm okay, it barely hurts." Riiiight! I made the same mistake when I was a noob. It felt like my thumb was hit by a sledgehammer.

This gentleman was in his late 60s and a Vietnam War vet. After the course was over, he asked the instructor when the next advanced handgun class would be starting.

The instructor replied, "You need to work on your basic gun handling skills before you proceed."

Last edited by Afterimage; 10-02-2018 at 4:56 PM..
Old 10-02-2018, 7:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadich View Post
Right after the instructor gave the instruction that it was clear to fire during the live fire portion of my CCW class, the guy next to me fired off his first round and it was dead center of the forehead at 7yds.

After seeing that, the instructor yelled out, "Center mass shots only!." The guy looked at me and said, "I was aiming for the center mass."
Our instructor advised us before qualification that head shots would count as misses, unless we called "head shots only" prior to the fire command.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 10-02-2018, 7:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadich View Post

That’s funny. Thanks.
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Python
Colt Series 70
Sig Sauer P228
HK USP9c
Old 10-03-2018, 12:18 AM

While sitting in class, I noticed one man being kind of bitter. Turns out he had a less than stellar interview with the sheriff and he is at class before he is actually approved. Apprently he has a few days before the 90 day timeline.
Anyways, he was bitter enough for me to start thinking the guy was not in great mental shape.
Fast forward to the live fire qualifications.
6 of us (total 8 in class) are sent to line up and get ready to shoot at the targets close range. I am worried about the bitter man so I start watching his hands and his revolver.... I am not trusting him....
What does he do next? He moves all the way to the left and takes position #1 by asking the guy to his left to switch places with him. He tells the guy that since he is shooting a revolver and wont be spitting out brass, he doesn’t deserve to get brass sent his way....
I’m starting to think he is getting ready to line us up and shoot at us... I am honestly worried.
Instructor says fire! And I take an extra second to shoot because I am watching for this guy.... This #*%{#@@ is a good shot!
I’m still worried after the 3 and 4th round of live fire.
Eventually the class ends and the guy comes up to me and asks if I want to try his revolver. I politely declined because I was in a hurry but I did congratulate him on his shooting.
He turned out to be a great guy. The last 15 minutes of the day he was happy and very talkative. I was then able to see the man for who he really was.
Obviously he was just frustrated earlier in the day. I guess it didn’t help that he was about the only one without an approval letter.
Damn Commifornia...

Last edited by GuillermoAntonio; 10-03-2018 at 12:37 AM..
Old 10-03-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillermoAntonio View Post
While sitting in class, I noticed one man being kind of bitter. Turns out he had a less than stellar interview with the sheriff and he is at class before he is actually approved. Apprently he has a few days before the 90 day timeline.
Anyways, he was bitter enough for me to start thinking the guy was not in great mental shape.
Fast forward to the live fire qualifications.
6 of us (total 8 in class) are sent to line up and get ready to shoot at the targets close range. I am worried about the bitter man so I start watching his hands and his revolver.... I am not trusting him....
What does he do next? He moves all the way to the left and takes position #1 by asking the guy to his left to swicth places with him. He tells the guy that since he is shooting a revolver and wont be spitting out brass, he doesn’t deserve to get brass sent his way....
I’m starting to think he is getting ready to line us up and shoot at us... I am honestly worried.
Instructor says fire! And I take an extra aecond to shoot because I am watching for this guy.... This #*%{#@@ is a good shot!
I’m still worried after the 3 and 4th round of live fire.
Eventually the class ends and the guy comes up to me and asks if I want to try his revolver. I politely declined because I was in a hurry but I did congratulate him on his shooting.
He turned out to be a great guy. The last 15 minutes of the day he was happy and very talkative. I was then able to see the man for who he really was.
Obviously he was just frustrated earlier in the day. I guess it didn’t help that he was about the only one without an approval letter.
Damn Commifornia...

Probably a good idea to be vigilant with the way he was originally acting.
Good job building suspense... I did get a little worried as the story progressed.
That turned out to be a good story.

Safety Rule #1:
1) Treat all tweakers like they are loaded
Old 10-03-2018, 7:11 AM

Guy in #1 lane on my left pulls out a 6-inch S&W in .357 Mag. Asks the instructor about three times each if it's okay to qualify with .38s instead of Magnum ammo and if he has to shoot double-action of if he can "cock it for each shot." Instructor says whatever makes you happy.

As our targets are coming back up to the firing line I notice only a portion of his shots are inside the silhouette. Many are ringing the silhouette in the white for for all I know may have missed the target completely.

Instructor walks up behind him and says loud enough only for #1 lane guy to hear (and me since I'm right next to them), "so I guess if I'm a bad guy and you whip that thing out all I have to do it hunker down in a little ball and wait for you to run out of ammo."

Was the funniest thing I've ever heard uttered at a range.
Old 10-03-2018, 9:25 PM

Helping trainer with class and he assigns me to a woman - she pulls out a ruger lcr and gets ready to dry fire. Her support index finger straight out alongside cylinder (overlapping cylinder to barrel gap) - I had to show her how to hold revolver so as to not blow tip of finger off.

She can’t shoot for sheet - but listens well. During live fire we fire 6 reload fire 6 (in her case 5 since that is capacity). She fires off 5 - pops open cylinder to eject shells - and I look forward thinking she is going to extend. But she is just standing there. I look at her puzzled expression - then at the ground. What I thought was speed loader dropping is actually her entire cylinder - she slammed it to eject and cylinder fell off

So we had a conversation about selecting a gun and practicing with it to make sure it was machanically sound before betting her life on it.

Still don’t know how it broke.

Steve
Old 10-03-2018, 9:32 PM

Another good one. Helped Masaad Ayoob do his MAS 40 class. One guy was trouble most of the morning - not quite following directions - but not too far off either. Masaad is VERY clear with his instructions - and we do dry fire - then live fire. Instructs everyone on a dry fire - instructs everyone to align and squeeze trigger

Yep - BANG

So much for dry fire instructions. I can still here him yelling at the RSO and the shooter. Get that #%*%* off the %#|! Firing line.

Talk about everyone performing EXACTLY as instructed after that - no one wanted to be next on the list

Steve
Old 10-03-2018, 9:38 PM

Two (out of seven) people showed up for our range day without a belt. Between them they must have had to pick up their holsters 20 times. Several draws brought the gun up still in the holster.

It was the first time I questioned the idea of shall issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2018, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

I was next to a shooter that was having trouble getting Browning BDA to fire for >5mins. Politely taps me to get my attention and signs me to help. So I help. (instructor was helping another shooter with a stoppage)

*Browning BDA 380 in as new condition. Bazinga right?

So I ask the shooter to aim it down range replicate the problem. Mag is full...pulled trigger..nothing....pulled trigger...nothing.

Flip the pistol over...safety is still on. Funny and scary at the same time.

If I was an instructor I'd take some time with each shooter and have them do a safe handling demo prior to range time. You never know.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 10-04-2018, 10:54 AM

This is second hand.
Before live fire we worked with a Video Trainer first. One of the scenarios has you sitting in a car. You look in the mirror and there is a bad guy in the back seat.
The instructor told us one woman shot the mirror.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:41 AM

My initial CA class was full, 32 people. We ran two strings of 16 people with 3 or 4 range officers. So many people had looked like they are just learning to operate their firearms. They were "safe" but dropping magazines, terrible shots even at 3 and 5 yards, etc. One guy pulled his loaded gun out of his holster at the safe table. Luckily the RO caught him right away.

I also just completed the Idaho Enhanced permit class this past Saturday. 14 people there. Some did not know how to hold a semi-auto pistol properly and could not shoot with a crap. Again, lots of first timers. But ID has no accuracy or distance/speed requirements, just dump 98 rounds down range in a manner that is safe to others (no sweeping, etc) though ignoring those unfortunate enough to be downrange bystanders if these people ever need to actually use their firearm.

So no real crazy things to report, just kind of scary how some folks get to carry guns and can barely operate them. Luckily they are trying the legal way and its likely they won't really carry often or ever have the need to use it in self defense.

Last edited by broadside; 10-04-2018 at 11:44 AM..
Old 10-04-2018, 12:24 PM
Calguns Addict

When I was in the office filing my original application there was an older gentleman being helped just down the counter from me.

At one point he opens his brief case and dumps an old rusty revolver on the counter. Obviously the officers behind the counter are a bit miffed but one of them picks it up and empties 6 rusty bullets before handing it back to the man.

The Officer then tells the man "I told you to leave your guns in your car."

To which the man replied "I ain't got no guns, just this."

We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty99 View Post
It was the first time I questioned the idea of shall issue.
This was my experience as well. Way too many shooters, not enough instructors, and about 3/4 of the students looking like they had never even seen a gun before, much less shot one. Shotgun patterned targets, etc... one guy says to me, you shoot that little gun pretty well. Meanwhile I'm thinking this group is the worst I've shot in a while.

One of my favorite stories from that day:

Woman in her 50s grabs her gun and a mag from the back table and walks to the firing line. The instructor says load and make ready. At this point she seems to struggle as if she is having trouble inserting the magazine into the grip of the pistol. She's confused and slightly embarrassed that she is holding the group up.

As she continues to try, the instructor goes over there to see if he can help. He looks down at the gun then back up at her with a puzzled look. He says, "is this your gun? Is this your magazine?"

She's holding a Glock 26 with a S&W Shield magazine. I don't know which was scarier. The fact that she grabbed someone else's gun off the back counter without that person knowing or that after this all happened she says, "oh, I forgot my glasses."

How were you planning to shoot then?
Old 10-04-2018, 8:53 PM

I have a great amount of respect for the CCW process in Riverside County. Attended the CCW class on 9/29 at the Ben Clark Training Center, about 4 hours class time with Corporal Rick Coin and 4 hours shooting from 15 / 10 / 7 yards. Qualified with 3 pistols. Corporal Coin and range armorer Mr. McDermott are classy guys who kept the day very interesting. Not to mention McDermott's Springfield Armory TRP which was a topic of conversation.
Old 10-05-2018, 7:04 PM

I also was in Ben Clark. People came to there with zero experience, it was first time for them shooting. I'm thinking that maybe in order to qualify people need to take a real course of 4 hours in the range with 200-300 rounds, not 18 rounds like we had.
Old 10-06-2018, 7:24 AM

Kern County first renewal range session. Outdoor range.
Super instructor with a firm, very safe way about him.
He turns to all of us and explains he's going out to change targets and we can load magazines but don't even think about touching our handguns.
While I'm loading my several magazines, the guy next to me, a couple spaces away, slams a mag home and racks the slide. The unmistakable sound catches the immediate attention of everyone but especially the instructor. He lays into the guy with his hand on his holstered Glock. I thought the student was going to crawl away and leave....he stayed the course.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-07-2018, 9:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have plenty of them. One that sticks out is when I was doing a class that ended up only having one student, a LACO Fire paramedic. About half way through class, I had to stop the class to help a vet who was about to preform surgery on our old potbelly pig. I told my student that he could either stay and do some reading or join me in assisting the vet. He chose to help. I doubt anyone else has ever assisted in any sort of surgery on a pig in the middle of a CCW class.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
Old 10-10-2018, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1975 View Post
I also was in Ben Clark. People came to there with zero experience, it was first time for them shooting. I'm thinking that maybe in order to qualify people need to take a real course of 4 hours in the range with 200-300 rounds, not 18 rounds like we had.
Amen to that Alex, I'm at the range 1-2 times a month with 2 handguns each time, and every other month I go with 3 buddies where we shoot rifles, shotguns, and handguns. This is one perishable skill I intend on keeping. BTW, have you received your CCW yet? I got mine today.
Old 10-11-2018, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikd123 View Post
Amen to that Alex, I'm at the range 1-2 times a month with 2 handguns each time, and every other month I go with 3 buddies where we shoot rifles, shotguns, and handguns. This is one perishable skill I intend on keeping. BTW, have you received your CCW yet? I got mine today.
Not yet. They promised 2 weeks. I will check next week.
Old 10-11-2018, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1975 View Post
I agree 1000%
I also qualified at the Ben Clark Center, both times I shot all the way to the left, wth the wall next to me, felt safer only having one shooter to my right.
Old 10-11-2018, 9:24 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

I was qualifying next to a guy who could not even hit the paper much less the target. This was a full size torso target. IIRC he had a Ruger LC9 or maybe a Shield.

Anyhow, the instructor said he had bad trigger/grip habits in his strong hand. To prove his point, he had the guy shoot weak hand. Very first shot, bingo right through the bullseye.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness
Old 10-12-2018, 11:44 PM

We had a guy in our CCW class that failed the written exam.. and he wasnt the best shot. Instructor recommended he get more proficient before trying again. Funny part about the exam. He was checking blanks where you were to fill in the answer. He was just saying YES...