Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 08-06-2017, 9:23 PM

Great point JT16. I like the lower drop leg holster position myself. Is that what you have?
Old 08-06-2017, 9:39 PM

Yeah I went with the low-ride. You can see it in the first photo in my post #68.

Now that I think about it, them cowboys in the Old West had it right in regards to where they kept their sidearm ha ha!

Old 08-06-2017, 10:18 PM

^If it ain't broke...lol
Old 08-06-2017, 10:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

capes need to make a comeback
The architects of the assault weapon bans ... are simply trying to fight the Culture War. And we can't win, not in California anyway because you guys, the ones with the most to lose, refuse to do what you need to do to win the Culture Wars, which is to make Calguns and the gun rights community a truly big tent and stop driving people away simply because they are different from you.
Crime rate per 100k people
General population: 3,817
Police officers: 108
Legal CCW: 18
Old 08-10-2017, 9:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Y U need a dedicated bag for that?

I am sure, with all the bags many of us already have, we can just remove the notebook computer and USB chargers, and fill 'er up again, with tacticoolest gear. That is what i would do if it came down to it... and defending the Constitution of the US against all enemies forign and "domestic" is what seems to be needed these days.

Last edited by the86d; 08-10-2017 at 9:45 AM..
Old 08-10-2017, 9:59 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Y U need a dedicated bag for that?

I am sure, with all the bags many of us already have, we can just remove the notebook computer and USB chargers, and fill 'er up again, with tacticoolest gear. That is what i would do if it came down to it... and defending the Constitution of the US against all enemies forign and "domestic" is what seems to be needed these days.
Easy answer to that - I'm a backpack addict. I have about 15 or 20 backpacks in my closet. So there is no shortage of backpack selection to dedicate to any number of silly projects

The bigger problem I have, is that I have a tough time leaving any guns in there. I like having them in my safe where I can stare longingly at them, stacked up with all my other guns.

Old 08-21-2017, 2:38 PM

C-A-T added to the warbelt. Quick release tourniquet holder is from SnakeEater Tactical.

Also upgraded my simple military surplus hydration carrier to a small backpack. This pack will allow me to carry a little bit more than just water. It will NOT however be carrying any unnecessary items that would only slow me down and affect my ability to fight with a rifle. Extra ammo, a little bit of food, rain poncho, a few survival items and that's about it. I am still realistic about my situation...speed and mobility is more important to me than carrying a large backpack stuffed with everything imaginable.

So the pack (and double mag carrier mounted on side) appears to be made very well and with high quality control. It's from a company out of Poland called Direct Action. This is their Dust model. It is a SMALL pack which is what I wanted. Also sits nice and high on the back -- does not interfere with my belt at all. I won't go in-depth as there are a few videos on Youtube about it if you want all the details. Suffice it to say it fits my needs perfectly. I will of course take it out to the desert for some extensive run&gun to confirm. Will report back. Med pouch on front is from Tactical Tailor and second photo shown with my SBR and a 14.5" DDV7 for size reference.

EDIT: Sootch00 recently made a review of this pack if you're interested...

Last edited by jonnyt16; 08-21-2017 at 2:55 PM..
Old 09-03-2017, 4:31 PM

Some runnin & gunnin from this weekend with my setup. The new pack feels good but that's definetely as heavy as I'm going with it and it's only 14.5 pounds -- and that's with water & extra ammo. The belt worked awesome as usual.

Train train train!

Last edited by jonnyt16; 11-11-2017 at 8:53 PM..
Old 09-03-2017, 4:35 PM

^Great looking setup... including the jeep!
Old 11-11-2017, 9:25 PM

Planning on doing a trek and staying overnight somewhere in the Sierra Nevada mountains here soon. Except it won't be a typical backpacking trip. Going to bring only what you see in the photos above....my rifle, belt, and that small Direct Actiton Dust pack. Warmer clothes too of course.

Just have some very basics in that pack. A lightweight 10x10 tarp from Bushcraft Outfitters, Fallkniven A1 knife, firesteel, paracord, canteen cup, and a few other things. Just enough that I think should get me through a night or two. So, time to put my money where my mouth is and test it out. I'll consider it as just more training.

Wish I was more savvy with a camera. Never made a Youtube video or anything but am considering filming this little adventure. I expect it to be fun with some definite suck mixed in (i.e. COLD).
Old 11-12-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyt16 View Post
Planning on doing a trek and staying overnight somewhere in the Sierra Nevada mountains here soon. Except it won't be a typical backpacking trip. Going to bring only what you see in the photos above....my rifle, belt, and that small Direct Actiton Dust pack. Warmer clothes too of course.

Just have some very basics in that pack. A lightweight 10x10 tarp from Bushcraft Outfitters, Fallkniven A1 knife, firesteel, paracord, canteen cup, and a few other things. Just enough that I think should get me through a night or two. So, time to put my money where my mouth is and test it out. I'll consider it as just more training.

Wish I was more savvy with a camera. Never made a Youtube video or anything but am considering filming this little adventure. I expect it to be fun with some definite suck mixed in (i.e. COLD).
Document it as best you can and share, I'm sure anything that you learn that works, and more importantly that doesn't work, would be useful to others.
Old 11-12-2017, 1:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyt16 View Post
Because "stuff" happens:
-Water purification option
-First aid with inflatable splints
-Cell phone
-PLB (Personal Locator Beacon)
-Plan/pack for rain/snow
-File a "trek plan" with your friends.

Have fun.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 11-12-2017 at 1:22 PM..
Old 11-12-2017, 2:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Who will the combat be with or is this a topic for discussion?
Old 11-12-2017, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Because "stuff" happens:
-Water purification option
-First aid with inflatable splints
-Cell phone
-PLB (Personal Locator Beacon)
-Plan/pack for rain/snow
-File a "trek plan" with your friends.

Have fun.
All good ideas, thanks.

-Water purification will be done by boiling.
-Tourniquet is on my belt, first-aid kit in the pack. No splints.
-Will bring cell phone.
-Do not have a PLB
-Rain/snow will be dealt with by building a shelter (either Adirondack or Holden configuration) from 10x10 tarp. Lightweight rain poncho is also in pack.
-Wife will know general area of my location.
Old 11-13-2017, 2:44 PM
Veteran Member

One of my most favorite things to do while dirt/mud camping is building a shelter.
Imprivising from whatever is available is a great exersise.
When I get one set up and it turns out right I can pull a muscle patting myself on the back.
Some are just not up to a windy night. Add the rain and things go T. U. in a hurry.
Over the years I have learned a lot about what not to do.

Sent using a long string and 2 Dixie cups
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 11-18-2017, 9:51 PM

Well my plans to take off on an overnighter with my gear got thwarted this weekend. Managed to do some shooting today though at least.

Also, just started a thread in the Gallery which may interest some of you guys here. Was watching some youtube videos on "Minuteman" gear earlier which was interesting and is the basis for that thread. Link: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1401152
Old 11-18-2017, 9:59 PM

Love that terminology. "Minutemen" gear.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBoyNux View Post
Love that terminology. "Minutemen" gear.
It's something I've always considered important to be honest. One of my favorite pieces on this matter I remember reading shortly after 9/11 was written by Randy Barnett which still very much reverberates today --especially after the recent Texas church tragedy. I printed it back then and its been hanging on my cork board ever since. Had to retype it here as I can no longer find it on the internet! It's not that long and well worth a read.

Flight 93 Saved by the Militia: Arming an Army Against Terrorism

By Randy E. Barnett

The next time someone tells you that the militia referred to in the Second Amendment has been "superceded” by the National Guard, ask them who prevented United Airlines Flight 93 from crashing into the White House or Capitol. The National Guard? The regular Army? The D.C. Police Department? None of these had a presence on Flight 93. Terrorists and criminals are well aware that they cannot be everywhere — indeed, they count on it. But the people the Founders referred to as the "general militia" is everywhere. Cell-phone calls from the plane revealed that it was members of the general militia, not law enforcement, who successfully prevented Flight 93 from reaching its target.

The characterization of these heroes as members of the militia is not just the opinion of one law professor. It is clearly stated in Federal statutes: According to Section 311 of US Code Title 10, entitled, "Militia: composition and classes

“(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States.

"(b) The classes of the militia are —
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia."

This is not to score political points at a moment of great tragedy. Rather, we must acknowledge that it was militia members who stopped the terrorists' attack at the cost of their lives.

Here is the cold hard fact of the matter: Whether on an airplane, subway, cruise ship, or in school oftentimes only the "unorganized militia" will be available when domestic or foreign terrorists chose their next moment of murder.

Yet if the general militia is now "unorganized" and neutered — if it is not well-regulated — whose fault is it? Article I of the Constitution gives Congress full power "to provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the Militia." The Second Amendment was included in the Bill of Rights in large part because the Founders feared that Congress would neglect the militia (as it has) and, Congress could not be forced by any constitutional provision to preserve the militia. Therefore the only practical means to ensure its continuance was to protect the right of individual militia members to keep and bear their own private arms. Nonetheless, it is Congress’ responsibility to see to it that the general militia is "well-regulated."

A well-regulated militia does not require a draft or any compulsory training. Nor, as Alexander Hamilton recognized, need training be universal. "To attempt such a thing which would abridge the mass of labor and industry to so considerable extent, would be unwise," he wrote in Federalist 29, "and the experiment, if made, could not succeed, because it would not long be endured." But Congress has the constitutional power to create training programs in effective self-defense including training in small arms — marksmanship, tactics, and gun safety — for any American citizen who volunteers. Any guess how many millions would take weapons training at government expense or even for a modest fee?

All these new airline "security" proposals will merely inconvenience millions of citizens. A way around them will always be open to determined mass murderers. Any realistic response to what is likely to happen in the future must acknowledge that calling 911 will not prevent mass murder. Nor will training our youth to be helpless in the face of an attack, avoiding violence at all costs.

Rather than consider self-defense training, powerful groups will continue to advocate passivity and disarmament. They will shift our focus to restrictions on American liberties. In fact, House Minority Leader Dick Gephart says now is the time to consider adopting a national identity “smart” card.

Rather than make war on liberties of the American people Congress should be looking for ways to empower them to protect themselves. The Founders knew that the individual right to keep and bear arms was the principal means of preserving a militia that was "essential" for personal and collective self-defense against criminals foreign and domestic.

The events of September 11, 2001 have shown that the militia is far from obsolete in a world where war is waged by terrorist cells as well as states. It is long past time we heeded the words of the Founders and end the systematic effort to disarm Americans. Now is the time to consider what it would take in practical terms to well-regulate the now-unorganized militia, so no criminal will feel secure when confronting one or more militia members.

-Randy E. Barnett is a law professor at Boston University

Defend America!

Last edited by jonnyt16; 11-18-2017 at 11:07 PM..
Old 11-19-2017, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Maybe there's already a name for this? But for now, I'm calling it my "Going To F***ng War" bag.

To clarify - I'm not in the services, I don't pretend to be in the services, I have no intention of "going" to war, but I strongly feel that it is the duty of all law-abiding gun owners in this great nation to prepare, on some level, to fight to keep it. So I'm interested to hear what all you guys might have (or plan to have someday) in a quick-access pack if, say, you hear on the radio that troops have been dropped in our homeland. Obviously, omit anything you wish not to be public knowledge.

The concept is different from a BOB or GOOD (Bug out / Get Out of Dodge) bag, in that it primarily focuses on combat.

Here's my basic bag, which I may go into greater detail on later if this thread catches on.

Pack:
-AR rifle w/ both long-range & CQB sights (For me, has a LAW tactical folding stock for backpack carry, ACOG + RMR sight)
-At least 200rds of 5.56 in magazines
-Basic medi-kid w/ trauma gear
-Tool kit (everything from screwdrivers, to a dremel, to bolt cutters, gun cleaning/repair tools)
-Water (Camelbak-type pouch, + lifestraw)
-Food (some high-calorie/low-weight/long-shelf-life type stuff)
-LOTS of AA batteries
-Solar battery chargers

On myself:
-Beretta 92 w/ 4 Mecgar magazines, Underwood Extreme Defender rounds
-Phone
-2-way FRS/GMRS radios

Thinking about adding body armor to the kit, but haven't yet.

Again, this thread is not to imply that anyone is playing GI Joe - rather, to open a dialogue amongst the "average joe" who wants to be as prepared as possible for the worst - an enemy attack on homeland soil. I think we can all agree that it's not a bad idea to be prepared for the worst. So, what all do you guys recommend?
Straight out of the tv show “The Walking Dead”... lol
So many folks US wide getting ready for the zombies or some sort of chemical biological warfare.

If you have been watching the trends on ebay and amazon you can clearly see over the last 12 months a pattern of worried citizens buying up chemical/biological/radiological gear (CBR) along with Geiger counters. I have been watching dozens of sellers and have spoken with some of them. I would add MREs and CBR gear and you will be set

I would rather have gear and not need it VS need the gear and not have it.

Crazy times.

US Military Veteran 1994-2015
Federal Drug Enforcement Officer 2012-2016

“An assualt rifle by definition is a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use. A semiautomatic Ar15/Ak47 type firearm with a standard magazine release is not considered an assualt rifle”......Paul LePage, Maine State Governor
Old 11-19-2017, 3:06 AM

Nothing bad about being prepared as long as it doesn't negatively affect normal life.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2017, 4:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfinger View Post
We've got a lot of things which are a far greater deterrent than an armed citizenry. 2 major oceans and a huge land mass without even bringing up the fact that we have a massive amount of armed forces and the best tuned infrastructure in the world supporting it. An invasion of the scale you are talking about would make D-day look like a floaty in a swimming pool. It just wouldn't happen. We'd be nuked off the map well before an invasion and at that point why would anyone want to invade a radioactive wasteland?

You are better off preparing yourself for problems which might actually occur.

This is all truth.

A freak without instruction, is headed for self destruction!!!

Buy 'em cheap, stack 'em deep!!

"Your government's the gangster, so cut the crap!!!" Chuck D.
Old 11-26-2017, 7:16 PM

[QUOTE=danfinger We've got a lot of things which are a far greater deterrent than an armed citizenry. 2 major oceans and a huge land mass without even bringing up the fact that we have a massive amount of armed forces and the best tuned infrastructure in the world supporting it. An invasion of the scale you are talking about would make D-day look like a floaty in a swimming pool. It just wouldn't happen. We'd be nuked off the map well before an invasion and at that point why would anyone want to invade a radioactive wasteland?

You are better off preparing yourself for problems which might actually occur.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
This is all truth.
i agree here..