Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 04-27-2010, 12:28 PM

Well I went up this past sunday and there were a bunch of dudes from some company called Test America working on the main shooting area. I dont know what the hell they were doing but they had a s*** ton of concrete ready to mix up. But anyway, they closed the main little shootin' spot and put up NO SHOOTING signs all the way up the road.

We were however able to find a spot and shoot some clays.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogatPlay View Post
I went trap shooting in Sonoma this past Sunday. Not sure if this next weekend will be more trap shooting or another Pine Flat run. Probably depend on how much interest there is.

Next Sunday the 2nd looks like it'll be perfect weather, although the dirt road in from the turnout will likely still be a bit soggy from the rain we're getting now.
Hey where do you shoot trap in Sonoma?
Old 04-27-2010, 3:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Test America: The Leader in Environmental Testing

http://www.testamericainc.com/

Can't imagine what the concrete was for unless they were planning on blocking the access road.
Old 04-27-2010, 4:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killawhale415 View Post
Hey where do you shoot trap in Sonoma?
Valley of the Moon Gun Club

Environmental testing might have something to do with the wastewater pipeline that roughly follows parts of the road up to The Geysers where it gets injected into the aquifer.

I think someone up in the Healdsburg area might want to head up the hill and see what they can see.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 04-29-2010, 11:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Went up to Pine flats today. Talked to one of the workers and got the low down. They are putting in monitoring wells because there are 2 abandon mercury mines in the area. There will be about 4 wells in the shooting/parking area and a few farther away. The wells when completed will be a (about) 8" dia - 3/8" thick pipe about 3' tall.

I will be surprised if the place will be a shooting area much longer for a couple reasons.
-- They could come back and say the mercury levels are to high for personal heath.
-- But the one that I think will cause it to shut down is one of the wells is in a shooting area and some AH will use it for target practice.

jerry

Old 04-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the intel Zinfull.

Monitoring wells on otherwise empty land smells suspiciously of someone wanting to "move" said land. A good deal of the country up there already belongs to the Open Space District. The district gave easement to a huge piece which became the wildlife sanctuary you pass through on the way up. I'm wondering if the Open Space District either already owns this area, or they plan to soon.

That happens and it's screwed for sure.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 04-29-2010, 4:07 PM

Well, this is chitty news to hear.

Damn. I'll have to take a motorbike ride up there and see what it looks like.

Old 04-29-2010, 5:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It was a beautiful drive today, the air was clear and the hills green. The guy said it was under BLM and gave me the guy to contact that controls the area.

jerry
Old 04-29-2010, 5:29 PM

well, thats that. I guess we need to find somewhere else to shoot

Old 05-17-2010, 11:06 PM

Went shootin there the last 3 weekends Yee!

Last edited by Killawhale415; 05-18-2010 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: I cant Speele
Old 05-18-2010, 9:29 AM

I have a 4x4 pu with winch, willing to help.

“We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.”
― Winston S. Churchill
Old 05-18-2010, 10:31 AM

help? what, you got a stuck bullet in your barrel? ;-)

Hey, you wanna ride up there some time and check out this new construction?

Old 05-20-2010, 7:06 PM

My mom works for Calpine, the company that operates the powerplant. She said there's been sheriffs patrolling in the area where people used to shoot. Has anyone found any other good spots up that way?
Old 05-22-2010, 3:26 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Any more recent details on this? I'm moving to Healdsburg in three months and was looking forward to getting in on some cleanup/shooting up there...
Old 05-22-2010, 5:53 PM

I haven't been on the forum for a while. I just saw this thread. If anyone is going to clean, let me know. Even if it isn't a place to shoot any more, it was shooters that trashed it, and it ought to be some shooters to clean up. I'm just past knee surgery, but I can still help some.
Old 05-22-2010, 6:54 PM

I'll try to make a ride up there this week and take some more pics to show everyone what were looking at.

Hey Nerd; try to find out what Calpine is doing with the property.

Someone needs to get on Google Earth and find a new spot on BLM land.

Old 05-28-2010, 2:44 PM

Greetings:
Newbie here, I've been following this thread hoping for more info on the Cal Pine range. Has anyone been up there lately? Is it still open for shooting?
I'm looking for a good place close to the Bay Area (San Rafael). Went up to the "Well Pad" on Boggs Mountain last week. Not bad, a little rough getting in due to huge pot holes filled with water. Not knowing how deep they are, you take a chance going through them. Some previous users had made a path around a few of the holes so I followed their lead. Otherwise, I'd say in drier weather it's doable in a regular truck or high clearance vehicle.
Anyway, hoping someone can clue me in on Cal Pine.
Thanks!
Old 06-06-2010, 3:53 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Well hell, I was in town yesterday and ran up the hill to see how it looked. Totally blocked off by concreted in steel pipes, with LOTS of "No Shooting" signs everywhere.
Old 06-06-2010, 5:50 PM

****-TAY

Old 06-07-2010, 8:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Well thats a bummer......

Quote:
Old 06-25-2010, 1:22 AM

I am in Santa Rosa and would love to go to the next shoot
Old 07-06-2010, 6:25 PM

I was out there TODAY, looks the the sign just say "Shooting" now some one removed the "NO". There still have been people in there shooting they park alittle farther up & walk in. I think the "no shooting" signs are BS just to scare people. Me & my son shoot at a place a little farther up the roud on the left. When we left we went all the way to the top & there was all kinds of empty shells. There are a few good places at the end of the road to shoot also. I don't think this place may have much life left in it. Shoot my home built AK for the 1st time & it worked perfect.
Old 07-06-2010, 6:33 PM

Imma do some scouting on my dirt bike this summer. if I find anything I'll post it up.

Old 07-07-2010, 8:01 AM

I wish I had seen this thread a long time ago. Hopefully there is some other place for us soCo shooters besides CircleS and Cobb.
Old 07-12-2010, 8:21 AM

unfortunately the one in cobb is most likely going to close soon i was talking to the park guy and he sayed that there going to close it if people dont start cleaning up. a friend and i clean it up on wenday .when i came back up saturday there was a computer monitor cupple fire extinguisher and more junk . we all have to try to keep the places alive
Old 07-12-2010, 8:25 AM

I can roll up on a weekend and help do a clean up if anyone wants to help out.

Old 07-12-2010, 8:26 AM

My Camaro wont make it up there.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodey View Post
I was out there TODAY, looks the the sign just say "Shooting" now some one removed the "NO". There still have been people in there shooting they park alittle farther up & walk in. I think the "no shooting" signs are BS just to scare people. Me & my son shoot at a place a little farther up the roud on the left. When we left we went all the way to the top & there was all kinds of empty shells. There are a few good places at the end of the road to shoot also. I don't think this place may have much life left in it. Shoot my home built AK for the 1st time & it worked perfect.
Ak looks good woody! should have called Alex and I would have joined you!

“We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.”
― Winston S. Churchill
Old 07-13-2010, 3:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrizzly View Post
unfortunately the one in cobb is most likely going to close soon i was talking to the park guy and he sayed that there going to close it if people dont start cleaning up. a friend and i clean it up on wenday .when i came back up saturday there was a computer monitor cupple fire extinguisher and more junk . we all have to try to keep the places alive
Dog gone it.... and I'm headed out of the country for two weeks this Friday so no help from me.

We've most likely lost Pine Flat Road... so it seems to me that if we want to keep Boggs Mountain open that we need to get a solid and ongoing clean up effort going.

Any Lake County guys looking in here that have a contact at CalFIRE at Boggs? We've got to make sure CalFIRE understands that there is a community of shooters out here who are willing to partner to keep the place clean and open.

Quote:
Old 07-19-2010, 4:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
We've most likely lost Pine Flat Road... so it seems to me that if we want to keep Boggs Mountain open that we need to get a solid and ongoing clean up effort going.
Well, first of all, THANK YOU to the folks who actually go and clean up places like pine flat. It's nice to know there's still a few folks who care.

But... I think the internet is going to kill MANY shooting areas.

I don't know the real status of Pine Flat. I wasn't aware that there was any BLM land up there. I thought it was ALL private property..
But I know that folks have been shooting there for decades and I used to shoot there occasionally myself many years ago.

But when I used to go it wasn't full of trash. Maybe folks had a little more respect, or maybe the "good guys" who were willing to clean up still outnumbered the "bad guys" who littered.
But I think mostly there just weren't as many people and most of them were fairly local and actually cared a little bit about the area.

But the internet is changing things. Small "local secret" areas where one can go shoot are being posted on internet forums, along with invites for "all to come and shoot at this cool spot". Come on SoCal, Come on Oakland, Come One and All and shoot at this tiny little place up a rural road out of healdsburg...

It attracts a LOT of attention and traffic to a small spot.
More people = more trash.
More people = more drunks, litterers, losers, trouble makers, and unsafe shooters.
More folks from "out of the area" usually means a higher percentage of people who just don't care. Go party, shoot up the place, and leave your trash. Let the locals clean it up, we're going home now.
More people also means more traffic and noise and trash for the people who LIVE along Pine Flat rd.

[rant] Yeah, people LIVE out there, and they're sick of listening to your stupid noisy loud exhaust system and your stupid loud music as you blast up the hill, and they are sick of picking up your coors cans and your Mc.D's burger wrappers that you toss out, and they're sick of having all their "No Trespassing" signs shot full of holes. Either have some friggin' manners or go home and irritate your own neighbors. [/rant]
(sorry, that rant was brought to you by someone who LIVES on a small rural road not totally unlike pine flat and wishes that SOME of you would keep your lazy sloppy ghetto behavior at home)

Neighbors who might have been cool with a few folks going up to shoot once in a while might not be so happy to have the whole freaking world driving by and using it for a shooting gallery. Sooner or later *someone* is going to get irritated and start pressuring the owners of the land, whether it's private or BLM to take some action against it.

A few complaints and few photos of all the trash and the shot up refrigerators and tons of brass and shotgun casings, sent to the right people... local landowners , county inspectors, whoever, and it's all over. (and doesn't it paint a pretty picture about how responsible gun owners are if it gets to the local news?)

I won't be surprised if Pine Flat becomes off-limits for shooting. It's been too well advertised and attracts too much attention now.

I think that folks who have found nice quiet little local places where they can shoot safely and hassle free, would REALLY be smart to STFU and not advertise it to the whole freaking world.

My heartfelt thanks goes out to the folks who help clean up places like pine flat.

But folks who post about little places like pine flat on the internet certainly can't complain when they get trashed or SHUT DOWN. (And thanks a hell of a lot from the rest of the locals who were smart enough not to advertise, but got screwed by the fools who did.)
And when places like pine flat are gone they're gone for good, and there's less and less places all the time.

They are valuable places and it's stupid to tell everyone on the internet where you keep your valuables. Keep it clean and keep it secret, and MAYBE you'll get to keep that favorite rural shooting spot for a few more years, if you're lucky and no one else blows it for you.

sigh....

Adios, Pine Flat..

D.Beans
Old 07-19-2010, 4:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well, first of all, THANK YOU to the folks who actually go and clean up places like pine flat. It's nice to know there's still a few folks who care.

But... I think the internet is going to kill MANY shooting areas.

I don't know the real status of Pine Flat. I wasn't aware that there was any BLM land up there. I thought it was ALL private property..
But I know that folks have been shooting there for decades and I used to shoot there occasionally myself many years ago.

But when I used to go it wasn't full of trash. Maybe folks had a little more respect, or maybe the "good guys" who were willing to clean up still outnumbered the "bad guys" who littered.
But I think mostly there just weren't as many people and most of them were fairly local and actually cared a little bit about the area.

But the internet is changing things. Small "local secret" areas where one can go shoot are being posted on internet forums, along with invites for "all to come and shoot at this cool spot". Come on SoCal, Come on Oakland, Come One and All and shoot at this tiny little place up a rural road out of healdsburg...

It attracts a LOT of attention and traffic to a small spot.
More people = more trash.
More people = more drunks, litterers, losers, trouble makers, and unsafe shooters.
More folks from "out of the area" usually means a higher percentage of people who just don't care. Go party, shoot up the place, and leave your trash. Let the locals clean it up, we're going home now.
More people also means more traffic and noise and trash for the people who LIVE along Pine Flat rd.

[rant] Yeah, people LIVE out there, and they're sick of listening to your stupid noisy loud exhaust system and your stupid loud music as you blast up the hill, and they are sick of picking up your coors cans and your Mc.D's burger wrappers that you toss out, and they're sick of having all their "No Trespassing" signs shot full of holes. Either have some friggin' manners or go home and irritate your own neighbors. [/rant]
(sorry, that rant was brought to you by someone who LIVES on a small rural road not totally unlike pine flat and wishes that SOME of you would keep your lazy sloppy ghetto behavior at home)

Neighbors who might have been cool with a few folks going up to shoot once in a while might not be so happy to have the whole freaking world driving by and using it for a shooting gallery. Sooner or later *someone* is going to get irritated and start pressuring the owners of the land, whether it's private or BLM to take some action against it.

A few complaints and few photos of all the trash and the shot up refrigerators and tons of brass and shotgun casings, sent to the right people... local landowners , county inspectors, whoever, and it's all over. (and doesn't it paint a pretty picture about how responsible gun owners are if it gets to the local news?)

I won't be surprised if Pine Flat becomes off-limits for shooting. It's been too well advertised and attracts too much attention now.

I think that folks who have found nice quiet little local places where they can shoot safely and hassle free, would REALLY be smart to STFU and not advertise it to the whole freaking world.

My heartfelt thanks goes out to the folks who help clean up places like pine flat.

But folks who post about little places like pine flat on the internet certainly can't complain when they get trashed or SHUT DOWN. (And thanks a hell of a lot from the rest of the locals who were smart enough not to advertise, but got screwed by the fools who did.)
And when places like pine flat are gone they're gone for good, and there's less and less places all the time.

They are valuable places and it's stupid to tell everyone on the internet where you keep your valuables. Keep it clean and keep it secret, and MAYBE you'll get to keep that favorite rural shooting spot for a few more years, if you're lucky and no one else blows it for you.

sigh....

Adios, Pine Flat.

D.Beans
Old 10-12-2010, 2:33 AM

Went shooting their on 10-3-2010 with Porn stars Bella Rossi and Rain Degrey.
Video of the action -
Old 10-12-2010, 2:50 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Wow, grew up in healdsburg and never knew this spot existed, to bad its thrashed.

Next time we have a crew going up to shoot and clean, count me in. Gotta carpool though, my little rice rocket ride doesnt like dirt roads.

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 11-06-2010, 4:01 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Well, I've finally moved to the area...any more word on what's going on up there?

If anyone plans a cleanup/workday/whatever, make sure you pm me. I'm in for it, for sure. And if anyone has contact info for the people in charge, please pm me as well. I'd like to get ahold of them and do some diplomat work!
Old 12-02-2010, 7:27 PM

Default just sad

wow i just went up to Cobb and its already trashed again me and 2 other friends just spent 3 hr 2 weeks ago and cleaed the whole place up . there was a couple of fire extinguishers a TV and a dish washer . this time a person left a center console for a truck with there names in it after they shot it im tempted to ship there garbage back to them
Old 12-02-2010, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrizzly View Post
wow i just went up to Cobb and its already trashed again me and 2 other friends just spent 3 hr 2 weeks ago and cleaed the whole place up . there was a couple of fire extinguishers a TV and a dish washer . this time a person left a center console for a truck with there names in it after they shot it im tempted to ship there garbage back to them
In all seriousness, I'll contribute to shipping costs ...

CCW Santa Clara County sponsor ... ric (aka Michael

Once the 2'nd goes, the others are like dominos (auth: ricochet: 2013) ...
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away ...

WTB: super tall stainless scope rings (see thru preferred) and/or rear sight replacement for Mini 14
WTS: tall rings
Old 12-03-2010, 9:13 AM

Maybe just a letter telling them to clean up or they are no longer welcome to shoot there. Or hand it over to the Fire guys and have them deal with it. Maybe an official notice on letter head requesting they no longer use the range would help.

The Fire Guy usually rolls around with trash bags and hand them out to folks shooting, has them clean up whatever is left from others.

Most people clean up, but the few are a Pain.
Old 12-30-2010, 9:53 PM
Veteran Member

If/ when it dries up a bit I could borrow a 2wd pick up and lend a hand.
Old 12-31-2010, 8:09 AM

see this sucks i never knew about places like this i always have to go to cow mountain or two rock and i don't like two rock. so can you still shoot here or what i am willing to clean my messes and a little of some one else.
Old 01-01-2011, 4:25 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

There is a chunk of BLM land up there. The gate at the end, on the right, is a BLM gate. I just haven't figured out who to talk to about it yet.