Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:35 AM

Default Ak bolt question

Tried googleing this, but on found some description that sounded like my issue but no pics to confirm. I will start to say I'm new to aks. But it looks like the back of the bcg is getting peened if that is the right word. The only think it contacts is the hammer from what I make of it. Is this normal? I'm assuming it is the rifle operates flawlessly. But considering I'm a mechanic I wouldn't want push rod looking like this. Haha. Thanks for the advice
Old 05-20-2013, 12:53 AM
Banned

hm, doesn't look right at all. I would swap it out with another charging handle or taking it to a competent gunsmith if you aren't comfortable with swapping out the CH.
Old 05-20-2013, 1:02 AM
Veteran Member

Looks like its taking a pounding on the rear trunnion or somewhere else at one point of its life. Do you see any contact marks on the rear trunnion? I would get a new return spring for starters. But I suspect it could be over gassed if its causing that much damage.
Old 05-20-2013, 3:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Paper Pimp View Post
hm, doesn't look right at all. I would swap it out with another charging handle or taking it to a competent gunsmith if you aren't comfortable with swapping out the CH.

I dont even know where to begin with this fail of a post.

disclaimer:
everything I post is for arguendo and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to be legal advice
Old 05-20-2013, 3:45 AM
Banned

instead of thread jacking and adding a meaningful contribution to the OPs question, why don't you enlighten us with your superior knowledge?

(go run and google it before anyone notices)
Old 05-20-2013, 4:44 AM
www.Buildyourownak.info
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

That tab on the back of the carrier actually impacts the hammer on cycle (it doesn't touch the rear trunnion at all. Check it there's a cut out in the rear trunnion it fits into making it impossible to impact the trunnion in that location).
It is actually a safety feature that keeps the hammer from being able to hit the firing pin unless the bolt is locked into battery.
What you have is either an over gassed system or worn out recoil spring.
My guess is the latter.
Replace recoil spring. Brownells sells them, and they are quite easy to replace on the assembly (I.e. spring comes off recoil spring assembly so just replacing spring NOT the whole recoil spring assembly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlink View Post

I dont even know where to begin with this fail of a post.
I agree with this assessment.
Please don't try to teach what you obviously do not understand.
It doesn't help anyone and doesn't help your credibility either.
It's perfectly alright to just read, and not post if you don't know.
It can be educational.

Last edited by nicoroshi; 05-20-2013 at 4:53 AM..
Old 05-20-2013, 4:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
instead of thread jacking and adding a meaningful contribution to the OPs question, why don't you enlighten us with your superior knowledge?

(go run and google it before anyone notices)
First up its not a "charging handle" it is a bolt carrier.

(Second go google "ak bolt carrier tail battering")
Old 05-20-2013, 4:53 AM
Banned

noted. thanks for the correction.
Old 05-20-2013, 5:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Is the top cover getting loose over time? If so then your gun is either undersprung, overgassed or a combo of both. Whichever it is you need to get it fixed. What's your location?
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 05-20-2013, 7:01 AM

Im interested in the answer, too lazy for google. His bolt carrier looks just like mine. So did my last Ak.
Old 05-20-2013, 7:05 AM

I agree with nico either overgassed or worn out recoil spring. More info on your akm would help narrow it down aswell.
Old 05-20-2013, 7:08 AM

Im in Sacramento. Okay the spring is a easy fix. What would cause over gassing? And how do I adjust it.

I'm guessing possibly the gas port on the barrel is too big? Also is there a stronger spring I could get? And I need the whole assembly not just the spring?

Last edited by 304tmt; 05-20-2013 at 7:12 AM..
Old 05-20-2013, 7:11 AM

Correct, if over gassed the gas port is drilled to large. Again more info on who built your gun or where you got it would help identify any issues.
Old 05-20-2013, 7:15 AM

It's. Lancaster build on a non matching maadi kit. Before you say anything yes I have googled Lancaster aka lamecaster. Has about 500 rounds on the build.
Old 05-20-2013, 7:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304tmt View Post
It's. Lancaster build on a non matching maadi kit. Before you say anything yes I have googled Lancaster aka lamecaster. Has about 500 rounds on the build.
Ouch.

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 05-20-2013, 7:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
They had serious over gassing issues with some of,their builds that were done around 2 years ago.

I'll go out on a limb here and say your going to need a new barrel. Check your rear trunnion for the impact mark from the carrier. If you keep shooting that rifle the rivets will fail. I've fixed one Lancaster like that.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 05-20-2013, 7:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrickel View Post
Ouch.
Ha, no sh$t. Some folks need to reaserch first.

Patrick Henry.
Old 05-20-2013, 7:24 AM

To answer your previous question yes their is a stiffer spring. Google wolff (sp) ak extra power recoil spring. It may fix your problem. Or see if someone local with a good spring can let you borrow theirs. Then sharpie up or dye that impact point and run it see if it gets scratched off. Then you might be able to narrow it down.
Old 05-20-2013, 7:50 AM

Recoil buffer might help...

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod32493.aspx
Old 05-20-2013, 7:53 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHamilton1776 View Post
That is like putting a bandaid on a severed limb.

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 05-20-2013, 8:19 AM

That's the thing is I looked at the rear trunnion and the bottom side of the bolt carrier. And those seem unharmed, no damages from what I can see.
Old 05-20-2013, 8:41 AM
www.Buildyourownak.info

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfields View Post
That is like putting a bandaid on a severed limb.
I agree with this as well.
Only time I would ever use one of these 'fixes for a problem that doesn't exist' is on a pistol build where the piston is short enough to leave the rsb on cycle without one.
Don't waste your money on a buffer the carrier will only impact the rear trunnion harder.

As for extra power recoil springs Brownells has those, and it may solve your problem.
If you don't want to replace the barrel and its badly over gassed you could tap the gas block, and screw in a set screw with a smaller hole drilled through the center to reduce the amount of gas that makes it to the piston.
The adjustable gas plugs for M1 Garand are made exactly like that to allow for shooting higher pressure rounds without bending the op rod only the hole is to release gas rather than meter it.

Last edited by nicoroshi; 05-20-2013 at 8:50 AM..
Old 05-20-2013, 8:46 AM

So does it look like my best options are to first replace recoil spring file it down damage and then retest. If damage come back then I need a new barrel to adjust the gas pressure?
Old 05-20-2013, 9:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So does it look like my best options are to first replace recoil spring file it down damage and then retest. If damage come back then I need a new barrel to adjust the gas pressure?
Try the spring fix first.

If that doesn't work, if it was my gun, I'd look into making an adjustable gas block, like you can buy for ARs. Drill 3/32" or even smaller hole at a 45 degree angle from the barrel into the front of the gas block. The gas block is about .250" thick, you'd need to get it right into the middle of that. Thread it and a set screw that you run into the gas passageway to regulate. I have the tools to do that, don't know about you....but a new barrel and populating it, headspace, that's a lot of work.

Last edited by klewan; 05-20-2013 at 9:10 AM..
Old 05-20-2013, 12:10 PM

Where can I get one of these!?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1369080586929.jpg (75.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 05-20-2013, 1:10 PM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a.../t-397652.html
I also found this thread. Can anyone tell me if I could use some other adjustable gas blocks like the svd or the grenade launching Ak gas blocks and modify them to tuneable settings? I found the American made dez block but I think they look like crap. I also read something about putting carb jets in the port hole anybody hear of that?
Old 05-20-2013, 4:12 PM
Progressives Suck!

I'm sorry I didn't have time to read all the posts and stuff, but it looks like more than just a worn spring or overgassed condition. The impact is way too much.

Normally wouldn't the lower rear of the bolt carrier hit the trunion before that hammer cocking extension ever hits anything????

It's almost like there was some obstruction in the receiver that was hit. Broken hammer that was later replaced? Very curious.

I think the Bolt Carrier will have to be replaced. OR at least reshaped.
Old 05-20-2013, 4:27 PM

It's a new build with a g2 Tapco trigger group. I wasn't like that after the first 300 rounds. But now that I think of it I wonder if putting this dust cover has something to with with of. Considering it flew off after 40 rounds. And didn't ever seat all the way down now allowing the rear spring "retainer" to fit into the hole. If you look at the screws on the back I had them tightened all the way in. I wonder if it was pressing the recoil assembly in. Excuse my incorrect terminology. Feel free to correct me.

Last edited by 304tmt; 05-20-2013 at 4:37 PM..
Old 05-20-2013, 5:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If that flew off then your rear trunnion rivets will be the next thing to fail. Like I said before, I have had to fix this exact issue before. If you bought it new, send it back to Lancaster or get a refund.

Patrick Henry.
Old 05-20-2013, 5:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
I'm sorry I didn't have time to read all the posts and stuff, but it looks like more than just a worn spring or overgassed condition. The impact is way too much.

Normally wouldn't the lower rear of the bolt carrier hit the trunion before that hammer cocking extension ever hits anything????

It's almost like there was some obstruction in the receiver that was hit. Broken hammer that was later replaced? Very curious.

I think the Bolt Carrier will have to be replaced. OR at least reshaped.
There are only 3 things that effect the force of which the bolt carrier is thrown back. Ammo, return spring, and gas pressure. With the top cover flying off, it's going to be gas pressure. Either he loads super hot ammo, or the gun is overgassed. I've never seen a worn spring let a bolt carrier hammer the trunnion that bad without help.

Patrick Henry.
Old 05-20-2013, 5:32 PM

It's not hitting the trunnion the damage forms perfectly to the hammer. It hasn't had any issues with the standard dust cover. Just the pos that didn't fit right. Couldnt I just install a new spring and a adjustable gas block? I'm trying to find a solution for a gas block though.
Old 05-20-2013, 5:37 PM

And I shooting tula mixed 122gr fmj and 154gr sp
Old 05-20-2013, 5:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It's not hitting the trunnion the damage forms perfectly to the hammer. It hasn't had any issues with the standard dust cover. Just the pos that didn't fit right. Couldnt I just install a new spring and a adjustable gas block? I'm trying to find a solution for a gas block though.
There won't be too much damage to the trunnion. It's much harder then the carrier. Take pics of the back of your gun, with the top cover on and off, and stripped. Those top covers are made a little long IIRC and they file to fit. It shouldn't pop off.

Patrick Henry.
Old 05-20-2013, 5:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The only way I can see the hammer doing that is the heat treat on the carrier is compltely wasted and it's fully annelled. Then you'd need to pull the trigger without the bolt installed.

Patrick Henry.
Old 05-20-2013, 7:14 PM

Here the best I could do let me know if you want other pics. The last 2 pics are the gas block and gas port in the barrel. Hard to see inside the barrel but the 2 holes look similar I'm size. The one in the barrel looks a little smaller. I'm going to rig up some wire and try to measure the actual hole size.
Old 05-20-2013, 7:14 PM

Old 05-20-2013, 8:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Would an adjustable gas block help? I've heard of folks using em on PSLs (I'm assuming since they dont like hot ammo) might work here.
Old 05-20-2013, 8:54 PM

That's something I'm looking into. Apparently some Ak variants came with an adjustable or a gas block off with the grenade launching sights that can me modified. Well that's what I got from my research. Just don't know what will for my barrel. And there is the company dez that makes a gas block but it looks like crap. I would like to try and keep it stock looking as possible.
Old 05-20-2013, 9:10 PM
www.Buildyourownak.info

Carrier is impacting rear trunnion.
Notice half round ring right below where the recoil spring installs.
That was made by the back of your bolt hitting the rear trunnion.

Gas port hole is certainly too large (by the pic looking down the barrel).
It should be .126" That looks more in the .18-.20 range.

What this means:
Extra power recoil spring will not be enough.
need to cut down the amount of gas coming from the barrel to the end of the gas piston.

My humble suggestion once more:
Tap the hole in the gas block. Yes, right down the gas block. The hole is on a pitch, and can be tapped without removal by coming at it through the piston opening.
Install a set screw into the gas block with a .126" hole drilled through the center of it.

That would save you from having to press parts off the barrel, and new parts on, and would also save you from having to replace the barrel.

I am in Concord, and can help if you'd like.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:07 PM

Is there enough clearance for a screw to fit in there.