Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Gravity Water Filter System Recommendations

After debating the issue for twenty-five issues I think I am finally going to purchase a real gravity water filter system.

As a stop-gap measure in the late 1990s I purchased a PUR water filter dispenser which has served me pretty darn well, but it is cracked, the filters are fairly expensive and the new generation of filters don't seem to work as well as they used to.

So the obvious choice is to go with Berkey line of gravity filter systems. But I am hesitant because it is the obvious choice and it is quite expensive.

All of the big name products have virtually identical (in several cases ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL) tanks, and with only one or two exceptions for a few very tall filters the filters are interchangeable among them all.

British Berkfield (Four filter version - Two filter version) and Doulton brands (another Doulton) are well known and well used by those in the British Isles and Europe and a staple among the British and Europeans going to Africa on safari, Missionaries or work projects.

Other brands include Alexapure, Aquacera, and Crystal Drop and probably several others.

Anyone want to weigh in with their thoughts before I pull the trigger?

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."- Ernest Hemingway

NRA - Endowment Member
CRPA - Life Member
Old 04-23-2018, 5:51 AM
nulla lex prohibet
CGN Contributor

I have a Big Berkey, found it NIB in a thrift store for $50

I also have a 5gal "bucket berkey" in reserve
Old 04-23-2018, 5:55 AM

Bekrey is the best money can buy. My opinion...

It can also handle arsenic and fluoride. As well as certain heavy metals.
Old 04-23-2018, 6:16 AM

Does any filter remove cyanuric a I'd from pool water? It is introduced into the water from the conditioner.
Old 04-23-2018, 9:21 AM

I have a Daulton with three candles I bought for emergency use. It uses plastic upper and lower water containers.

For my vacation home, I'm going to buy some black Berkey candles and just make my own upper and lower water containers. MUCH cheaper. Lowe's sells food safe white buckets from 2-6 gallons. There's no good reason to buy overpriced stainless steel containers for water
Old 04-23-2018, 11:53 AM

What is your purpose for the water filter?
-Emergency only or daily water use?
-Are there specifics you are going after such as fluoride?
Old 04-23-2018, 12:03 PM

Platypus.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:53 PM

There is some great info on water filters on the survival forum. Here is a link to the water sticky thread.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=343841

It will open your eyes to the scams some filter companies use. Berkey apparently buys low grade chinese filters and re brands them, Lifestraw is poor at best. It is worth a read if you are serious about drinking water safety.
Old 04-23-2018, 4:46 PM
Veteran Member

I've used Berkey for every day and camping for a lot of years now.
Berkey Lite and extra rebuild parts plus 2 extra filters for backup.
Water always comes out clean and tasteless.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 04-23-2018, 7:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
What is your purpose for the water filter?
-Emergency only or daily water use?
Both.

Daily drinking: I am on a well, and while the water is fine and tests* clean. It just tastes better filtered. (I have had my well tested many years ago, but last year I was able to get my well into a USGS study and they evaluated everything one could possibly want to be checked out regards both to the well and the water and even made some improvements to the wellhead!)

Emergency: I store water, but assuming a protracted emergency I have access to some undeveloped springs and a seasonal creek on my property and a river within a short walking distance which would become my main water sources.

Quote:
-Are there specifics you are going after such as fluoride?
Not concerned with fluoride or heavy metals, don't foresee using pool water. I'll probably end up eventually getting some of the specialized filters to have on hand, but primarily I see using the ceramic filters to make the water more palatable and to filter out pathogens.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."- Ernest Hemingway

NRA - Endowment Member
CRPA - Life Member
Old 04-23-2018, 8:36 PM

Life (and death) are always about priorities. If you truly believe your life might depend on water purification, (a rational belief to everyone here) then paying for a Berkey is money well spent.
Old 05-16-2018, 2:15 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Berkey-...53.m2749.l2648

This guy advertises as damaged box but mine arrived perfect.

I have a home on a live river in the Sierras. Been wanting to get one for a long time. My wife finally pushed me into it.
Old 05-17-2018, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
I've used Berkey for every day and camping for a lot of years now.
Berkey Lite and extra rebuild parts plus 2 extra filters for backup.
Water always comes out clean and tasteless.
What is your source water your putting into the Berkey? Street water coming from the local favela, spring water, or from the municipal tap?
Old 05-17-2018, 7:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What is your source water your putting into the Berkey? Street water coming from the local favela, spring water, or from the municipal tap?
Well water.
The well has been here since the 20's and has always been a consistent feeder.
The testing done on it has showed increased arsenic content as the only unsafe contaminant. Water district tested the water and explained the levels on the well were consistent, but the EPA safety levels have changed over the decades. Same water different spec.

We changed to the Berkey after we were gone for a month on personal business out of state. When we got back we noticed the water tasted different. It had a taste now but still safe. It seems we were used to the taste and never noticed it. Drinking chlorinated city swill for a month might have flipped our switch for us.

This same Berkey is used for creek/river/lake water when we are dirt camping. Those trips usually last about a week though.

Like many of us here i have multiple ways to get/clean water. Berkey is my go to. I really have learned to trust it.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --