Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 12-26-2017, 4:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Devices that would survive an EMP/Solar Flare storm...

Curious about what could be effected, this lends me some hope:
"3. Solar panels

Surprisingly, solar panels weather an EMP very well. You’ll see a slight degradation of their power output — somewhere between 5 and 10 percent — but that’s about it."
http://www.offthegridnews.com/grid-t...ld-emp-attack/

Might want to get spare diodes for said panels though...
"That's what governments are for - get in a man's way." - Captain Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds
Old 12-26-2017, 4:55 AM

You're inverter, however probably would not survive, so the panel likely will not be of much use.
Old 12-26-2017, 6:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Old stand by. It built this Nation once and can build it again.

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 12-26-2017, 7:37 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

^^^ Lost art.

And another standby for those with wings.

Most personal GA aircraft are run by magnetos, no EMP is going to stop those. If you can start that engine, have sectional, an E6B, and a watch you can get anywhere if you paid attention during 6th grade math.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 12-26-2017, 9:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I would be more concerned about surviving the nuclear blast than worrying about electronics surviving the EMP. Who cares about electronic devices if you're vaporized immediately or die shortly after from radiation sickness?

Old 12-26-2017, 9:51 AM
Veteran Member

Slide rules are cool, no doubt about it. And 100% EMP proof. The only issue is how many people know how to use one. Keep paper instructions in the drawer with it.

If you have a cheap calculator stuck in a cookie tin in the bottom of an old metal filing cabinet I'd bet you dollars to donuts it would be ok even though that scenario isn't 100% EMP proof.

I would expect order of resiliance to be somewhat as follows, most resistant first.

At the top we would have (most resistant)

Batteries without embedded electronics (unconnected). Batteries will not be at all affected by EMP. Caveat - if they are installed, connected, whatever is connected may malfunction and this may affect the battery. Batteries in storage ought to be completely unaffected by EMP.

Simple electrical appliances with no embedded electronics that are not plugged in - immersion heater, electric skilet, hot plate, waffle iron, power drill, etc. They are at somewhat more risk if plugged in, and somewhat more risk if in use/on at the time of the EMP. Should be reasonably robust and should weather all 3 of these states I would expect.

Vehicles - most vehicle circuitry is simple and partially shielded - some micro circuitry may be affected, basic functions such as the engine and brakes should still work - car may need to be restarted but should at least "run". Radio may be fubar and dash-controls may be wonky, depending on various factors such as orientation, distance and strength of the pulse. The more complex & sophisticated the vehicle the greater the vulnerability.

Electronics that are fully or partially shielded - cookie tin or ammo can offers some shielding. wrapping in aluminum foil or sealed mylar offers reasonably good shielding. Each layer of shielding deflects/prevents some portion of the EMP from reaching the device. A radio, sealed in mylar, wrapped in aluminum foil, inside a cookie tin, inside an ammo can, in the bottom of a metal file cabinet, in your tin-sided, metal roofed garage - that's going to offer some reasonably effective protection due to all the layers. Of course that makes it hard to actually use the gear - that is your trade-off.

Electronics (especially micro circuitry) that are unshielded... significantly more risk if connected to the grid, significantly more risk if on or in use at time of pulse. Something with a built-in antenna that is on, such as a cell phone, I would think would be highly vulnerable unless you just happen to get lucky.

Electrical phenomena are unpredictable in the real world - such as where and when lightning will strike. We know it's more likely to strike a 20 foot metal flagpole than a plastic lawn gnome, but sometimes it seemingly "breaks the rules" and behaves in ways we wouldn't normally anticipate. You could end up with two apparently identical calculators on a desk, one facing you and one facing 90 degrees to the right when the pulse hits... one still works, the other is fried. At the time it's not going to seem to make much intuitive sense but it's like pointing your radio or tv antenna toward the broadcast station... the orientation to the signal source makes a big difference in how much of the signal is collected. Circuit board facing one way vs another might make a dramatic difference in whether that collected signal is strong enough to damage the microcircuit junctions. It's probably going to look pretty random to a lot of people.

I was pleased to learn a while back that solar panels are reasonably robust where EMP is concerned. Blocking diodes are the achiles heel, and spares can be kept on hand. The tricky bit will be the charge controller and inverter - since it's impractical to try to shield the entire array, it would be beneficial to keep spares of those in heavily shielded storage.

The big problem with EMP won't be in the gadgets and gizmos we take for granted... but the acutal infrastructure. What happens to electric pumps that empty the storm drains... the electric pumps that supply natural gas pressure or the facility that processes waste water for treatment... the electric pumps that supply water pressure to the mains. Gas pumps... not just at the station, but the underground pipelines that supply the distribution points. How about the com satellites that are now transmitting through a cloud of ionizing vapor, if they even still function at all? How about controls on the dams and flood control? What about emergency responders? If the fire departments can't respond effectively a single tipped candle could burn down half a town - no pumps = no water pressure = fire hydrants got no pressure. See, it's the big-picture, behind the scenes stuff that will be down that will make the recovery so difficult and prolonged.

Last edited by bruss01; 12-26-2017 at 10:35 AM..
Old 12-26-2017, 10:34 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Riyah View Post
I would be more concerned about surviving the nuclear blast than worrying about electronics surviving the EMP. Who cares about electronic devices if you're vaporized immediately or die shortly after from radiation sickness?
I think this is for the people that are not vaporized immediately and wish to use electronics and transportation to escape the radioactive fallout. Those that are vaporized immediately will have to resort to plan B.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:33 AM

Just turn your whole house into a Faraday cage. Problem SOLVED
Old 12-26-2017, 12:38 PM

My 68 F100 would (maybe not the radio).
Still has points ignition and points voltage regulator.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2017, 9:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

My trusty Bay-Gen radio.
Old 12-26-2017, 9:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Where chickens cross the road without being questioned.

Baseball bat and most everything else I own.
Old 12-27-2017, 5:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Riyah View Post
You seem to think we are talking about ground-level nuke detonation.

There is a small, localized EMP from those but obviously it would take a back seat to other concerns.

We are talking about a detonation 250 miles in space. There won't be any "blast" noticeable by people on the ground, or any fallout nor any appreciable radiation. This produces an EMP much larger and more widespread because the EMP comes from a layer of earth's upper atmosphere, not directly from the bomb itself, when hit by gamma rays from the explosion. It's an effect known and tested by the super-powers since the 1962 Starfish Prime test. There were even nukes developed specifically to maximize gamma over explosive force in order to optimize devices for this use.

Suggest you do a quick read-up on the subject and re-join the conversation.