Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-27-2007, 8:08 AM

Default How do you like your AimPoint "replica"?

I am thinking about slapping an AimPoint clone on my M1 Carbine when I get one from CMP this summer. The one I'm looking at is at www.1337tactical.com . How many of you guys have something like this, and how do you like it? I don't plan on going into battle with it, but I'd like to know if it is good for plinking and such. Thankss.
Old 02-27-2007, 8:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Use the search, its been pretty well covered.

That being said. I love mine. I have the one that comes with the arms mount. Buy it, then go on ebay and buy real aimpoint batteries. It holds zero very well. The only "problem" is the markings for windage and elevation are backwards. Up is actually down and left is actually right. You can not fit a kill flash but we are not stalking insurgents anyway so that doesn't matter.
Old 02-27-2007, 8:31 AM
Veteran Member

I also really like mine.....The only thing with mine is the red dot kind of washes out on really bright sunny days....Other than that it holds zero just fine
Old 02-27-2007, 8:48 AM
Veteran Member

Not too impressed with the 1337 sight in general. My real Aimpoint will beat it hands down on every point, except price.
If you want a cheap sight for plinking the 1337 will do though. I have the 1337 on my .22 rifle and that's where it will stay...
Old 02-27-2007, 8:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Gose, I understand what you are saying but how many of us really need all that a real aimpoint can do. I mean we are not invading any small countries anytime soon. We just need something that is bright and will hold zero. I understand the benefit of a real one but I just don't see the justification on the price when the clone will get the job done. Once I got mine dialed in, it stayed there and I don't miss (when I do my part). That is one of the main reasons I sold my EOtech (besides selling the rifle it was on). After playing with my clonepoint I just couldn't justify paying over $200 more for the EOtech.
Old 02-27-2007, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member

Mine is okay...Only complaint really is the red dot is not as bright as I'd like.
Old 02-27-2007, 9:27 AM

anyone know if the "high mount" on the www.1337tactical.com web site will give a good co-witness to an a2 front sight?
Old 02-27-2007, 9:42 AM

I have one of the 1337 tactical "clonepoints" with the fake ARMS QD mount. The scope works as advertised and I have no complaints about it. It is great for plinking. I do however HATE the fake ARMS QD mount. It is a POS and I would not buy one with it again. The mount is loose and flops around when attached. I had to wedge a small piece of metal under the clamp to get it to work. I am waiting for a different mount to come in to replace it. I will at some point get a real Aimpoint or Eotech for my rifle and put the "clonepoint" on one of my other guns, but for now it does what I want it to.

Cloner
Old 02-27-2007, 9:47 AM

Mine is doing great. It has never lost zero. I shoot at least two times a month with it. The rifle is no safe queen as I drag it with me usually tossing it in the back seat. It has been repeatedly (unintentionally) whacked against door frames, concrete shooting benches, exposed to snow and misting rain, and still functions as well as the day I put it on and zeroed it. Great $70 IMHO.

It is an Aim Point? No. But who cares. I would bet my skin on it. Besides, if it stopped working, I have irons to back it up. You can literally just frame the FSP in the center of the scope and be looking at dead zero without the dot or rear sight.

YMMV.
Old 02-27-2007, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochembruin View Post
anyone know if the "high mount" on the www.1337tactical.com web site will give a good co-witness to an a2 front sight?
Perfectly.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinger View Post
I am thinking about slapping an AimPoint clone on my M1 Carbine when I get one from CMP this summer. The one I'm looking at is at www.1337tactical.com . How many of you guys have something like this, and how do you like it? I don't plan on going into battle with it, but I'd like to know if it is good for plinking and such. Thankss.
Even if you guys are not going to be depending on this scope for live....

How do you guys feel about "stealing intellectual property"? How about encouraging buying stolen goods?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah the high mount will cowitness perfectly...I do really think the clonepoint is the best bang for the buck...I would buy another one in a heartbeat...

JickoRicko- we have heard it all before....Gets old after awhile....I did nothing illegal by buying an aimpoint clone...get over it
Old 02-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Internet Dictator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'm probably gonna get one of the leet aimpoint clones...

I would absolutely love a real aimpoint. but i would have a few more rifles...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Show me on this 1st Amendment bobble-head doll where the mods touched you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Click Boom View Post
It is clear from this thread that citadel grad was the gunman, and Oswald his patsy.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Internet Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JickoRicko View Post

How do you guys feel about "stealing intellectual property"? How about encouraging buying stolen goods?

So do you only buy non-generic perscriptions? Do you shell out the extra $$ for Vicadin brand Hydrocodone? Do you pay extra for Duracell batteries as opposed to Albertson's brand generic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Show me on this 1st Amendment bobble-head doll where the mods touched you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Click Boom View Post
It is clear from this thread that citadel grad was the gunman, and Oswald his patsy.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by proraptor View Post
JickoRicko- we have heard it all before....Gets old after awhile....I did nothing illegal by buying an aimpoint clone...get over it
No, you did nothing "illegal".... sure....

The question was asking "how do you like your *replica*".... I am just saying how I, personally, feel about them.... even if they function perfectly.... I still, personally, think that they ripped off someone else's design and make money out of that.... and I won't, personally, encourage that ....

That's it...

(I am not saying it is "illegal" for you to do that... it is just how I feel... if I can't afford the real thing, I rather use my iron-sights than to get a *replica*, which I am certain that they didn't pay royalty to the original inventor... and they have NO repect for IP rights)
Old 02-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

The question was asking "how do you like your *replica*".... I am just saying how I, personally, feel about them.... even if they function perfectly.... I still, personally, think that they ripped off someone else's design and make money out of that.... and I won't, personally, encourage that ....

That's it...

(I am not saying it is "illegal" for you to do that... it is just how I feel... if I can't afford the real thing, I rather use my iron-sights than to get a *replica*, which I am certain that they didn't pay royalty to the original inventor... and they have NO repect for IP rights)
You are right the question way how do you like your replica not how do you feel about aimpoint replicas...start your own thread...
Old 02-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefcrash View Post
So do you only buy non-generic perscriptions? Do you shell out the extra $$ for Vicadin brand Hydrocodone? Do you pay extra for Duracell batteries as opposed to Albertson's brand generic?
"Generic" perscriptions follow all IP-laws.... they awarded the original patent holder a certain time period to make money.... after that period expires, the "invention" becomes public domain....

Duracell is just a brand, they DID NOT invent the "batteries".
Old 02-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You are right the question way how do you like your replica not how do you feel about aimpoint replicas...start your own thread...
Hey man, I am not trying to pick a fight...

I looked and used one of those "replica" just the past wkend at the range... someone had one and showed me. It looked EXACTLY like a "real" one that I had before... even the little bitty external casing and covers etc...

It worked fine... but I was just saying how I felt about it....
Old 02-27-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:

That's it...

Capitalism, man. If they can make a competetive product that people like better for the money, then good for them. Thats why we're America--competetition. If AimPoint doesnt want to lose business to the 1337 fakepoint brand then they should market a cheap version for people like us who can't afford a $500 pricetag. I honestly don't think that this fakepoint manufacturer is stealing tons of business from AimPoint. People who want an awesome quality AimPoint are going to buy the real deal regardless.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:

The same can be said for OLL's. They are all a knockoff of the original design and everyone here has no problems with them???

I just got a clonepoint and a facog today in the mail. I have read good reviews about them and the qaulity seems pretty good. I think they will fit the bill perfect. I'll post up after I get them mounted and get them to the range.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1 View Post
The same can be said for OLL's. They are all a knockoff of the original design and everyone here has no problems with them???

I just got a clonepoint and a facog today in the mail. I have read good reviews about them and the qaulity seems pretty good. I think they will fit the bill perfect. I'll post up after I get them mounted and get them to the range.
What facog did you get?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
No no no no....

I truely think that many people are confused about these.

The AR-15 designs are mil.spec. items, the design belongs to US Gov't. They paid Colt or Armalite on a gov't contract, which the design ultimately belongs to the gov, and they published that as mil. spec. so that the US gov can source multiple manufacturers to build that same thing.

The IPs are in public domain.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
What facog did you get?
http://www.1337tactical.com/shop/pro...?productId=100

I think I got the last one though because right after I ordered it they posted it was out of stock.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
http://www.1337tactical.com/shop/pro...?productId=100

I think I got the last one though because right after I ordered it they posted it was out of stock.
Sweet. I emailed them last week and they said those would be back in stock inabout 2 weeks for anyone who is looking.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

I got one of the BSA red dots and it hold zero but.. if you rapid fire the rifle.. the red dot fades out after the 6th shot.. and doesn't come back until you stop shooting... not verrry shock resistant..... but then I'm only out $25 for it......

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220
Old 02-27-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
How about encouraging buying stolen goods?
WTF? That's funny. I got a great laugh. Thanks.

Oh, BTW, I have your high horse at my place. Come get him before I shoot it.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRAhighpowershooter View Post
I got one of the BSA red dots and it hold zero but.. if you rapid fire the rifle.. the red dot fades out after the 6th shot.. and doesn't come back until you stop shooting... not verrry shock resistant..... but then I'm only out $25 for it......
I think that has to do with the batteries. I remember the Arfcom discussion about it. The cheap stock batteries lose contact when rapid fired, buying one piece battery solves that issue.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
the design belongs to US Gov't. They paid Colt or Armalite on a gov't contract, which the design ultimately belongs to the gov, and they published that as mil. spec. so that the US gov can source multiple manufacturers to build that same thing.
Gov't doesn't own the design and the milspec doesn't contain blueprints or pictures of the rifle.

When the Air Force bought the initial batch of AR15's from Colt, the contract specified that Colt would retain the license. When the DoD set up other manufacturers as alternate sources for M16A1 and A2's, Colt received a royalty.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:05 AM

what do you think of this, guys?

Old 02-27-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:

I've seen that and I've thought really hard about doing the same to my carbine. But then again I like it original as well since mine is in great condition. I don't know what to do, but I love the look of it.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

i got one. i like it, compared it next to a real one.. there is a difference.. not a 300 dollar one.

the high mount cowitnesses perfect with the a2 site and arms 40
Old 02-27-2007, 11:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Really depends how the scope is affixed to the rifle. If it's mounted on a rail like that of the Springfield M1A Scout, a mount that clamps around the barrel, then it's a solid base. If the scope is mounted to a railed handguard that has any play, then it's not likely to hold a zero.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloner View Post
I have one of the 1337 tactical "clonepoints" with the fake ARMS QD mount. The scope works as advertised and I have no complaints about it. It is great for plinking. I do however HATE the fake ARMS QD mount. It is a POS and I would not buy one with it again. The mount is loose and flops around when attached. I had to wedge a small piece of metal under the clamp to get it to work. I am waiting for a different mount to come in to replace it. I will at some point get a real Aimpoint or Eotech for my rifle and put the "clonepoint" on one of my other guns, but for now it does what I want it to.

Cloner
My mount holds the rail tight enough, but the screws that hold the site to the QD were coming loose. I put some red loctite on the screws and tightened it back pretty good. I haven't shot it since but I imagine that solved the problem.

www.riflegear.com
Old 02-27-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:

I wouldnt do that to an M1 carbine as I like them stock. I do have that mount and a tacpoint on an NDS rifle. Its the best setup for me, rock solid and cowitness with the iron sights.

As for the original topic, I like my tacpoints very much. They are used on cheap rifles that I didnt want to spend too much on. Both have held zero so far. I keep the real aimpoint and eotech on my more expensive guns.
Old 02-27-2007, 2:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizrade2 View Post
I think that has to do with the batteries. I remember the Arfcom discussion about it. The cheap stock batteries lose contact when rapid fired, buying one piece battery solves that issue.

Granted the batteries might be cheap... I have the 50mm BSA red dot and it only uses one big honkin lithium battery... I'll go get a good battery for it soon and see if that cures it.....

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220
Old 02-27-2007, 2:07 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah guys you need to replace the 2 cheapo batts with the one battery that the aimpoint uses...
Old 02-27-2007, 2:53 PM
Calguns Addict

That makes a big difference.
Old 02-27-2007, 2:59 PM

how much are the good Aimpoint batteries?
Old 02-27-2007, 3:02 PM
Veteran Member

I got mine at radio shack for like $5 I forget the model # Im sure someone else knows it...
Old 02-27-2007, 3:10 PM

Quote:
I got mine at radio shack for like $5 I forget the model # Im sure someone else knows it...
wow, cheap.