Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > L.A. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2015, 4:21 PM

Default So what BLM areas are available around LA ...

So what BLM areas are available around LA for casual (but safe) precision plinking ... say out to 200 yards .... with an .17 HMR? ... thanks
Old 03-16-2015, 4:25 PM
RSG Minion, Senior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Try calling BLM but by the time you drive that far east you may have preferred to have gone to an outdoor range.
Safe is always hit and miss when others are shooting nearby.
Good luck.
Old 03-17-2015, 9:37 PM

Not in la. But ive heard of backus rd
Old 03-20-2015, 1:02 PM
Captain of the Gun Boat
CGN Contributor

around LA? none

in South Central LA? maybe south and around the 105, between the 110 and 710. people shoot guns over there all the time. only thing is, your targets shoot back at you. lol, jk jk

seriously tho, Gary is right. you're going to find yourself driving 2+ hours to get to BLM. 200 yrds? that isn't very far to exclude it to BLM. I'd recommend you go to Angeles Shooting Range off Osborne and the 210. For rifles, you can setup paper targets at 100, 200, and 300 yards. (300 yard setup only on Monday, Thursday, & Friday) and they have steel plinking targets from 100 all the way to 600 yrds there too.
-Ronald Reagan

*Disclaimer: I'm no lawyer. So don't take my advice as counsel.
Old 03-20-2015, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingChiron View Post
Gary is right. you're going to find yourself driving 2+ hours to get to BLM. 200 yrds? that isn't very far to exclude it to BLM. I'd recommend you go to Angeles Shooting Range
You will likely need to be in Kern County if you go north; there are lots of good places, you however must invest some time in research of those areas. Start with the purchase of BLM surface maps of the different California Desert Districts ($4 each), then continue to look using satellite imagery (I use Google Earth). Once yo have some potential areas, pack up your gear and investigate in person. Yes, you will need to drive and spend some time, but to me the benefits are worth it:
No surley Range Masters
No offices, managers, yellow lines, or P.A. Systems
No goons poking through your bags and equipment
You can practice all the presentations with your chosen sidearm all you want, from any position, day or night. Same with rifles and shotguns. Day or night.
You can shoot from within your vehicle if you choose.
You can enjoy a nice campfire while you are there, without a nanny.
You can practice shooting while moving, and other stuff that is either frowned upon or just plain not allowed, such as rapid fire. Want to do some fast mag-dumps in the dark using only your weapon light? No problem! Jo-Bob with the reflective glass ain't strutting over to chew you out.
Yea, it takes some effort, but if you are like me, and don't want some range-nazi-nanny, the effort will be worth it.
Old 03-21-2015, 2:01 AM

Thank You! Sometimes we're in some of these areas any way ... outside of Cochella for instance. BLM was very responsive in getting back to me. :-)

Will be order those maps ...

I've been at Angeles when "gang members" starting firing their shotguns across lanes and whooping it up. Yes the Range Masters put a stop to it right away ... but still a bit scary.
Old 03-21-2015, 2:01 PM
Captain of the Gun Boat
CGN Contributor

oh yes, for all the freedom - BLM is well worth the investment. By far, the preferred way to go.

I just thought you simply wanted a place to shoot 200 yards, my fault.
Yes, there are some unscrupulous bastards that go to Angeles, they're almost always on the right side of the range. The left side with the big boy rifles are pretty decent, from my experience. But anyway - enjoy BLM!

(btw, keep an eye out for others using BLM as well. Many people take their quads out to go 4x4'ing and sometimes, they don't attach the high red safety flag to be visible. It happened to a buddy of mine. If it weren't for the glint of sunshine reflecting off the rider's helmet, my buddy would've kept on shooting in his direction. You would think the sound of gunfire is a broadcast warning, but there's always that one guy...)
-Ronald Reagan

*Disclaimer: I'm no lawyer. So don't take my advice as counsel.

Last edited by KingChiron; 03-21-2015 at 2:18 PM..
Old 03-21-2015, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingChiron View Post

oh yes, for all the freedom - BLM is well worth the investment. By far, the preferred way to go.
:2guns

(btw, keep an eye out for others using BLM as well. Many people take their quads out to go 4x4'ing and sometimes, they don't attach the high red safety flag to be visible. It happened to a buddy of mine. If it weren't for the glint of sunshine reflecting off the rider's helmet, my buddy would've kept on shooting in his direction. You would think the sound of gunfire is a broadcast warning, but there's always that one guy...)
Yes, well stated. I usually have a small group when I go, one of which is the designated spotter for the hazards pointed out.
We usually spend the night just to make the trip even better. Never have had any issues with thugs, public paid or private. If you go, please clean up your trash, don't shoot glass, trees, etc. Let's keep as many of the dangerous masses at the public ranges, where the brass grabbing range nazis on bullhorns can belittle them all day.
Old 03-21-2015, 8:35 PM

I ride in BLM land all the time. Kern County to be exact. If you are almost shooting a person off roading then your back drop is not good enough. I have the advantage of riding my bike and knowing if there is a trail on the other side or sometimes it is closed off to the canyon I'm in. I've been riding and shooting in BLM land for a long time and have never had an issue, but yes please be carful and aware of your surroundings. My preferred area is in Kern County, look into and if you have a truck maybe make a weekend of scouting your perfect spot first before long rifle shooting. Hope you find a safe and good spot and always clean up.
Old 03-23-2015, 1:32 PM

We had a fun but short BLM session off of Fargo Canyon Road ... off of Dillion Rd ... near Indio ... as suggested by BLM. We were in the area already visiting relatives. Checking out the area on Google Earth Pro first, I assumed we would be up against the hills, as BLM recommends. But as we approached the hills we arrived at Private Property signs. We went back a few hundred yards to where we saw three other parties shooting.

There are a couple of 100+ yard areas off of the road, on both sides, where evidence on the ground suggested years worth of shooting. In some places, lots of glass. LOTS of shotgun shells. Unfortunately one is shooting across open rock fields instead of into hill sides. But again ... this is where BLM sent us. There is another area down the next road off of Dillion, to the North, that we didn't have a chance to check out.

It was VERY windy but my handicapped gal still hit all four of her water filled plastic bottles at around 40' with her 357 Ruger, shooting 38 Specials. I was NOT able to hit my 2" tumbler target at about 70' with my scoped 10/22 Target! I was getting buffeted around pretty good ... but still! It's sighted in at 50 yards ... but I tried everything?!

I've ordered the BLM maps for our general area. My gal had a blast and is looking forward to going out again.

Old 03-23-2015, 1:33 PM

One thing that was quite disconcerting was that there were a LOT of ricochets from the sound of things. Didn't really like shooting towards rocks.
Old 03-23-2015, 7:21 PM

Find a good, safe spot away from the masses, if possible up some long canyon. Bring an E-Z Up shade (if it's not too windy!), water, some chairs, and a small folding table.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:13 PM

This weekend in the desert near Ridgecrest.

http://youtu.be/cbYZXJ0ZVF0
Old 03-31-2015, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE94LIGHTNING View Post
This weekend in the desert near Ridgecrest.

http://youtu.be/cbYZXJ0ZVF0
No holster??
Old 04-01-2015, 10:45 PM

No Holster. We just did some shooting on the way home from Riding. Wanted to see if the Targets that I built worked well.
Old 04-06-2015, 8:53 AM

Nice, where's the GoPro footage? GoPro4 at 240 fps?
Old 04-07-2015, 1:52 PM

Gopro is a 3+ Black set at 1080P wide and 30fps? lol did some more shooting this last weekend in another part of the Desert. Cracked the lense riding hence the blur in the middle

https://youtu.be/LBPdi-K4AE8
Old 04-13-2015, 5:09 PM

Went camping/Fishing at the Kern River this weekend and found another spot to shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ7O-9eu_7Y
Old 07-12-2015, 7:28 AM

Instead of potentially getting a felony- use specialdistricts.org
Old 07-12-2015, 7:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Jawbone canyon is open per blm ridgecrest office 25 miles past mojave.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE94LIGHTNING View Post
Went camping/Fishing at the Kern River this weekend and found another spot to shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ7O-9eu_7Y
The vids are marked private ... I can's see them
Old 09-21-2015, 8:33 PM

I usually go off the 15 freeway in Barstow been doing it for past 6 years never had a issue..