Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:59 AM

Default Edited to Protect Privacy

Edited to Protect Privacy

Last edited by KWalkerM; 09-30-2016 at 7:44 PM..
Old 09-29-2012, 2:18 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Tagged.
Old 09-29-2012, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR310 View Post
Tagged.
dang you got my hopes up that someone knew...
Old 09-29-2012, 3:40 AM

Amber is fine. As far as connecting to your reverse lights, I don't know.
Old 09-29-2012, 3:44 AM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

da amber lamps!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:34 AM

Anyone can install amber lights, but they can only be used while the vehicle is parked, or to indicate a safety hazard IIRC.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Calguns Addict

I think if you want a directional stick with a steady on feature for work / backup lights you might have to do that wiring yourself. I know that there are units made for the towing industry that have work lights built in. Probably best to check with a company that builds tow trucks, or go direct to a distributor.

Rear facing amber lights when stopped are okay, but do understand that drunks can and do zero in on them. Any white light to the rear can only be illuminated when the vehicle is stopped (work light) or backing.

If I recall correctly output on CB radios PA function is < 10 watts. The typical emergency vehicle speaker is rated up to 100 watts, some models up to 200. Sound quality is largely governed by the quality of the microphone, the speakers themselves aren't great reproducers of voice, but they get the job done. Be sure and check the vehicle code on what is and is not permissible with loudspeakers.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 09-29-2012, 11:25 AM

There are lots of vehicles that are allowed to have amber lights. The trick is to make sure you fit into one of the sections that allow you to have the lights. SECTIONS 25250-25282 of the Vehicle Code lets you see all the exceptions.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky8601 View Post
There are lots of vehicles that are allowed to have amber lights. The trick is to make sure you fit into one of the sections that allow you to have the lights. SECTIONS 25250-25282 of the Vehicle Code lets you see all the exceptions.
cool thanks, now to determine if my 86 land cruiser falls into any of those catagories...

i did not know about the rear facing whites when stationary or backing, good to know. thanks guys. and i hate electrical so im bribing a friend to wire my lights with a cold drink and a sandwich
Old 09-30-2012, 6:16 AM

A note on auto wiring. Auto manufacturers save production costs by limiting the amount of copper they use. They set a standard for amperes per circular mil than is larger than would be permitted in house wiring. To the point, most auto wiring is too small in gauge to add any accessory to.

If you're adding a light bar that will pull maybe 10 Amps -- run a new wire directly to the battery. Something like 12 gauge stranded -- with a fuse link on the battery end. Choose a quality switch capable of switching the power.

Using a 12V relay is also a good way to control that 12V wire. If you get clever with how you connect relays, you can make the light bar operate only when two conditions are met -- such as:
* The switch is on AND the key is not in RUN. Or, the switch is on and the backup lights are also on.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt (1759-1806)

Last edited by littlejake; 09-30-2012 at 6:23 AM..
Old 09-30-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejake View Post
A note on auto wiring. Auto manufacturers save production costs by limiting the amount of copper they use. They set a standard for amperes per circular mil than is larger than would be permitted in house wiring. To the point, most auto wiring is too small in gauge to add any accessory to.

If you're adding a light bar that will pull maybe 10 Amps -- run a new wire directly to the battery. Something like 12 gauge stranded -- with a fuse link on the battery end. Choose a quality switch capable of switching the power.

Using a 12V relay is also a good way to control that 12V wire. If you get clever with how you connect relays, you can make the light bar operate only when two conditions are met -- such as:
* The switch is on AND the key is not in RUN. Or, the switch is on and the backup lights are also on.
thats clever, but sadly i am not that clever lol im gonna put the switch into the headliner where people cant just fiddle with it haha. i have one of those missle covers for my offroad lights for that same reason. i will definitly do that for the light bar with higher gauge wire.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:38 PM

You can have amber lights. What you CANNOT have is red lights.

"If you expect logic associated with California law, it will only make your head hurt.." - Ron-Solo, 2013
Old 10-06-2012, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed24-7 View Post
You can have amber lights. What you CANNOT have is red lights.
There are limitations to having / using amber lights as well.
Old 10-09-2012, 9:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
...no i will not be using it without cause.

my reasoning is that my truck could break down or i need to be found, come across a TC etc. (ran across a TC in the number 1 lane at night and found 2 rolled cars, no hazards etc, barely saw them and almost had a 3 car pile up)

edit: additionally, how is the quality on the loud speakers with PA function for cruisers? im looking to update the PA speaker for my CB, the current one i have is shot and i need a new one.
Seriously??? Come on, you REALLY want the amber thing "just in case" you come across an accident??? Then there's the entire CB "PA" thing........

Ohhhh boy. I guess if you really have money in your wallet that's burning a hole in your pocket, then go fo it.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><