Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Discussions of Faith
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2018, 9:04 PM

Default Carrying in church?

Just wanted to get a feeler about how many folks carry in church. I know it is sad, but I cannot help but feel uneasy when I am sitting in the pews with my family. I know I am supposed to put everything in His hands, but I will never make peace with being a sitting duck. I am in the process of getting my CCW and would feel much better carrying in church. I looked and there is nothing posted at my church saying no firearms allowed, and churches aren't listed as a specific no-go zone for carrying.
Old 01-16-2018, 9:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The main concern with carrying in church is violation of SB707 if the church hosts a school.

As far as carrying in church, God will protect you. God just may have put you there to protect others.

Carry safe, carry always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 01-16-2018, 9:09 PM
Banned

If I had a CCW I would definitely carry in church. It doesn't mean you have less faith or more faith. Just have faith you will shoot straight when you need to.
Old 01-16-2018, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
The main concern with carrying in church is violation of SB707 if the church hosts a school.
So you are talking an actual grade school, right? Not a Sunday School?
Old 01-16-2018, 9:22 PM

I carry every Sunday.
Old 01-16-2018, 9:28 PM

I'm a worship leader and I carry.
Old 01-17-2018, 5:02 AM

I carry two weapons - my Bible and my CCW.

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Old 01-17-2018, 5:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I always carry in Church. Living in southern CA, Hawaiian shirts are acceptable year round- amen. I also sit by one of the side entrances/exits to keep an eye on the unscheduled traffic. Lastly, the Lord still hears our prayers while our eyes are open. Keep in mind your back drop (lots of innocent)- I continually pray none of us every have to. Stay vigilant, stay safe and shoot straight.

Stay Safe and Shoot Straight.
Old 01-17-2018, 5:35 AM
Calguns Addict

There are between 6 and 8 people I know of that carry during the service I attend. Some LEO some not.

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 01-17-2018, 5:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

OP, you'd be remiss if you didn't and are able too

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 01-17-2018, 7:32 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I carry every time in Church or anywhere where I am out in public with my daughter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 01-17-2018, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrockstar View Post
So you are talking an actual grade school, right? Not a Sunday School?
Correct... K-12 or College.
College does not even have an exemption for locked container, at least with a K-12, you can lock it up in the trunk.

Quote:
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 01-17-2018, 7:22 PM

Awesome guys, thank you so much for the feedback, and thank you to those who are already carrying. Makes me feel a lot better while I am still in the process of getting my permit.

Last edited by zrockstar; 01-17-2018 at 7:24 PM..
Old 01-17-2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
K-12, you can lock it up in the trunk.
I just took my CCW 8-hour, and they mentioned that is not longer the case, that you have to wait off grounds for your kid if you have guns or ammo in the car. Not sure if that is totally accurate, but that is what was taught.
Old 01-17-2018, 8:00 PM

Quote:
I just took my CCW 8-hour, and they mentioned that is not longer the case, that you have to wait off grounds for your kid if you have guns or ammo in the car. Not sure if that is totally accurate, but that is what was taught.
Under state law, that is not correct.
It MAY be a condition of your IA.
Sac is a bit touchy, such as no carry in City parks, must obey businesses that post "no guns" signs, etc... None of those conditions are in state law.

State law on schools is that any guns AND ammo must be in a secure locked container when on K-12 school property.
NO guns or ammo are permitted on college/university property, nor the Post Office.

Quote:
Old 01-20-2018, 1:37 AM

My church has armed plain-cloths security detail for all services, but they blend in with the crowd. To the unknowing, one can’t tell who is or is not part of our security detail. Then we have numerous off duty cops that I know and who are carrying at each service.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammo.

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
-Trump.
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 02-02-2018, 12:34 PM

It was strange at first to carry during church, but I got used to it and protecting the flock is another way of doing the lords work.
Old 02-02-2018, 1:35 PM

Jesus told his disciples to buy swords.... Carry on.
Old 02-03-2018, 5:17 AM

I carry everywhere that’s it’s legal to do so. Including church.
Old 02-03-2018, 5:25 AM
Veteran Member

The good Lord created all men equal. Sam Colt equalized the differences...

Lord have mercy on the peacemakers.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 02-07-2018, 4:04 PM

I carry in church, and I know I'm not the only one.

Actually had an incident during the superbowl (had an event for college age people to watch the game at the church) where a sketchy guy showed and didn't leave when asked. Had to physically throw him out. Turns out he had multiple past convictions of assault, armed robbery, etc. I actually wasn't carrying then because I didn't dress accordingly and my gun was in my truck. It wasn't needed but I will not be leaving it in my truck again.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:04 PM

Since I moved to a free state, I have yet to set foot in my church unarmed. Read Shooting Back - The Right and Duty of Self-Defense by Charl Van Wyk about an armed attack at his church.

Charl Van Wyk was just an ordinary Christian man until July 25, 1993 - the day that would become known as the St. James Massacre. It was on this date that Van Wyk shot back at the terrorists who were attacking an innocent congregation gathered in prayer, and saved many lives in the process.

Remember, the most dangerous place in America is a gun free zone. Don't make your church a gun free zone!
Old 02-08-2018, 9:27 AM

I am on the greeting ministry for my church. We have been trained to look for suspicious characters and I do that every time I serve.

There is also a security detail made up of congregants, some are off duty LEOs. The LEOs are most likely carrying, but, being this is CA, I can't speak for the others.

It's sad to realize that we must be ever vigilant, even in church, but that's the times that we live in.
Old 02-08-2018, 1:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage View Post
The good Lord created all men equal. Sam Colt equalized the differences...

Lord have mercy on the peacemakers.
And 1911s too!
Old 02-08-2018, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfin View Post
Since I moved to a free state, I have yet to set foot in my church unarmed. Read Shooting Back - The Right and Duty of Self-Defense by Charl Van Wyk about an armed attack at his church.

Charl Van Wyk was just an ordinary Christian man until July 25, 1993 - the day that would become known as the St. James Massacre. It was on this date that Van Wyk shot back at the terrorists who were attacking an innocent congregation gathered in prayer, and saved many lives in the process.

Remember, the most dangerous place in America is a gun free zone. Don't make your church a gun free zone!
That’s why I went from carrying concealed a small capacity Glock 43 and spare mags, back to a larger Glock 19 and spare mags when I attend services. Yeah it sucks it has to be that way, but it is what it is. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Sadly, Churches seem to be a prized target for sickos, terrorists and whatnots. Hopefully my church will be ready in the unfortunate event we all read about involving a crazed person(s) who’s intent on hurting church folk.

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
-Trump.
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 02-09-2018, 7:18 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
That’s why I went from carrying concealed a small capacity Glock 43 and spare mags, back to a larger Glock 19 and spare mags when I attend services. Yeah it sucks it has to be that way, but it is what it is. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Sadly, Churches seem to be a prized target for sickos, terrorists and whatnots. Hopefully my church will be ready in the unfortunate event we all read about involving a crazed person(s) who’s intent on hurting church folk.
Armed good guys in church are a good thing. Some churches I know have LE ministries whose members serve as a plain clothes armed security element. I also lean heavily toward a larger pistol with at least two spare mags in that element.
Old 02-09-2018, 7:30 PM

One of the sad realities, I think, for our church is the fact that we are a large, well-known church and is thus a potential target. Our pastor rarely comes out to greet congregants and when he does, he has several plainclothes security with him. They stay at a discreet distance, but they are there.

I miss that personal contact with the pastor, but I understand why it is the way it is.
Old 02-09-2018, 7:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Carry in Church thread # 325434.

Yes carry in Church all the rest of us are.

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 02-09-2018, 7:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
Carry in Church thread # 325434.

Yes carry in Church all the rest of us are.
No such thing as too much church or too many guns.
Old 02-13-2018, 1:05 PM
Formerly Gecko45
CGN Contributor

I just don't understand why a person would carry anywhere else that is legal but not in church? Barring the property being owned by one person who says 'No' there is no reason not to.
Mark 16:16
Old 03-03-2018, 8:01 AM
Veteran Member

I am the Safety Team leader at a church. We had a meeting with a member of the local PD about prepping for a shooter event. Not only was he encouraging about CCW carrying in church, he said that carrying without a permit is only a misdemeanor (his words). I was very surprised at the interest in obtaining CCWs by team members.
Old 03-03-2018, 8:33 AM

Carry always when legal.
Old 03-03-2018, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Block View Post
I am the Safety Team leader at a church. We had a meeting with a member of the local PD about prepping for a shooter event. Not only was he encouraging about CCW carrying in church, he said that carrying without a permit is only a misdemeanor (his words). I was very surprised at the interest in obtaining CCWs by team members.
Sent you a PM regarding your team.
Old 03-03-2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
One of our city cops told my boss the same thing.

The problem is, that blanket statement (in our case) ignored several major problems:
We work in a public/City building. CCW is legal, but unlicensed possession (even in a locked container) is not. I've let my boss borrow several of my guns and we always meet at his home.
We are within 1,000ft of several schools. Violation of 626.9 is still a misdemeanor, but Theseus is now under a 10 year firearms prohibition (within California) as a part of his sentence.

And a misdemeanor is STILL nothing to sneeze at. Like a DUI, it is a serious financial hit, and can have a serious impact on employment or future employability, not to mention likely a disqualifier should you move to a CCW-friendly county in the next 10 years.

It is also a "wobbler" and as such would be subject to a felony arrest and booking. The DA would likely reduce the charge to misdemeanor, but the arresting officer would treat it as a felony.

Quote:
Old 03-03-2018, 5:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Just wanted to get a feeler about how many folks carry in church. I know it is sad, but I cannot help but feel uneasy when I am sitting in the pews with my family. I know I am supposed to put everything in His hands, but I will never make peace with being a sitting duck. I am in the process of getting my CCW and would feel much better carrying in church. I looked and there is nothing posted at my church saying no firearms allowed, and churches aren't listed as a specific no-go zone for carrying.
What gives you the idea of God protecting you in church when the bible says the Earth is Lucifer's until the return of Jesus?
too much glad handing in church and not enough truth.
Old 03-03-2018, 6:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Getting your team members CCWs shouldn't be difficult. I sent you a PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 9:17 PM

Quote:
I recently attended a Church Safety Training meeting put on by our Sheriffs office along with the Ca DOJ. The issue of CCW was disused in detail and while they did encourage the idea of legal carry in Church they also said its a real fine line between armed security and ccw church safety teams. They mostly encouraged off duty and retired LEO's because they have more training.

Last edited by wannabefree; 03-03-2018 at 9:18 PM.. Reason: grammer , spelling
Old 03-04-2018, 1:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabefree View Post
I recently attended a Church Safety Training meeting put on by our Sheriffs office along with the Ca DOJ. The issue of CCW was disused in detail and while they did encourage the idea of legal carry in Church they also said its a real fine line between armed security and ccw church safety teams.
I'm not sure what the bolded means/implies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabefree View Post
They mostly encouraged off duty and retired LEO's because they have more training.
Gee, imagine that.
Old 03-04-2018, 1:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Something to consider if you are carrying in church and things get real. This guy wasn't carrying, but he disarmed a bad guy and was then mistakenly shot by the police. Have a plan how not to get shot when the cavalry arrives, should the shooting be over or still taking place.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...m_npd_nn_tw_ma
Old 03-04-2018, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
I'm not sure what the bolded means/implies?
An organized group, of which having a CCW is required, could be construed as a volunteer armed security team.

This may or may not be an issue for the IA... Kern County looks favorably upon CCW being a requirement for employment, San Bernardino forbids using the CCW for employment.

Quote: