Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 11-22-2011, 5:56 AM

Unhappy Is my plasma screen done for? Thin black horizontal line

I've got a Samsung PN50C550 that I've had since last April.

Last night I noticed there was a thin black line going across the screen horizontally:

Unfortunately, I'm about 7 months past warranty.

I'd like to repair it myself if it's possible. I have a feeling getting it professionally repaired won't make much financial sense considering the cost of a new set. If I can't fix it myself it will go on craigslist as-is, a scenario I would really like to avoid as I would like to hold off about another year before investing in a new set.

It seems like a common problem especially with Samsungs, but I haven't been able to find much information online yet. So far, the best thing I've found is this video:

How To Fix Plasma TV (Samsung & Others) - Plasma TV Repair

He makes it look real easy. Problem is I don't know for sure if replacing those boards will solve the problem. Can anyone help narrow down what part(s) need to be replaced?

Thanks.

Last edited by balzak; 11-22-2011 at 6:28 AM..
Old 11-22-2011, 6:20 AM

You can order parts through FRY's, they supply boards to a lot of the smaller TV repair shops. I know a tech who will do side jobs but he probably won't travel out to Sacramento, not any profit in it for him.

Brian
Old 11-22-2011, 9:24 AM

Pulled the back off. I "reseated" the connections on the Y-buffer. Some people said that helped them. Put it back together, turned it on and the black line was still there.

Anyone know how I can be reasonably sure it is a bad Y-buffer board? Seems that would make it a pretty easy/cheap fix.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:30 PM

I realize this is an old thread but my Samsung Plasma PN50C450B1DXZA
has just developed the same problem.
I was wondering if this was ever resolved ..IE did the y buffer replacement repair the problem or was something else needed?

Also big thanks to balzak the photos are excellent

Last edited by clsA; 01-09-2013 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: added thanks
Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have had good luck with ShopJimmy.com for spare parts.

Generally I have found internet responses to similar problems are a good starting point. If the parts are expensive, I call a tech. It seems it is cheaper in the long run as they (should) only charge you for parts that fixed the problem.
Old 01-09-2013, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVSmith View Post
I have had good luck with ShopJimmy.com for spare parts.

Generally I have found internet responses to similar problems are a good starting point. If the parts are expensive, I call a tech. It seems it is cheaper in the long run as they (should) only charge you for parts that fixed the problem.
thanks for the reply ..I did infact order the y buffer part from ShopJimmy today before posting. The part was under $25 so no big deal if it doesn't fix it. I remembered reading this thread and wondered the outcome
Old 01-09-2013, 2:07 PM
Veteran Member

Let us know if it fixes it for you!
Old 01-09-2013, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
Let us know if it fixes it for you!
ShopJimmy offers free 2 day shipping so if the part comes friday I'll be giving it a shot over the weekend and I'll post back.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:58 AM

soooo, is it fixed?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lykkan View Post
soooo, is it fixed?
Unfortunately No !
Had to work Saturday so got a late start. Around 5PM I had the TV off the wall and had the back off. I proceeded to Remove the Y buffer ( long thin part that runs along the Left side of the picture above). Installed the new one and dropped a couple screws in the back to test before going any further. As Soon as the tv powered up I could see the line had not gone away. I also found out the new part was worse than the one I had taken out, it actually added more lines near the bottom of the screen.
But these lines were different than the one 2" from the top that had remained, these were lighter in color more gray than black. I'll be returning the part to ShopJimmy this week, with a note thats its bad. I put my y-buffer back in and cleaned up the inside of the set and rechecked all the connections and put the back back on. Now it's back to the one black line 2" from the top.

I picked up a Vizio 50" LCD as a replacement and added the 3 year warranty this time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0452[1].jpg (85.4 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by clsA; 01-14-2013 at 12:00 PM..
Old 01-14-2013, 5:55 PM

I figured. In plasma tv's the black horizontal lines are a manufacturing defect in the panel itself. I have 8 lines going right through the picture. I'll probably put this tv in a spare room or something. Thanks samsung...