Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:23 AM

Brah,

You have to go about this right. First off, you need a sweet ride and to dress nice when you pick her up. Taking some high powered blotter acid first can help with first date nerves.

Then head to a swanky place to eat. Remember, mescaline is a no-go on a first date. Be cool man! The last thing you want is a terrible case of THE FEAR creeping up on you at dinner, then tearing into you like a bull wolverine with rabies on a hapless missionary who has cruelly been dressed by pranksters in a raw bacon speedo.

Remember, the waiter isn't really a strange monitor lizard/human hybrid. Calm that with some single malt, aged in a barrel made from old musket stocks with the skulls of your ancestral enemies tossed in during the peak of the fermentation process. No one drinks hard liquor from the skulls of the slain anymore and it is leading to the downfall of civilization, my bright chap!

But now it's time to fire off some machine guns. Head over to the range just off the Vegas strip and do some damage. That's right, slap down the platinum company credit card on enough ammo to massacre every commie in Angola in the 70's, before cocaine was big business and the American made cars were like great boats of the asphalt seas with automatic transmissions, cigarette lighters that could weld steel, air conditioners that could simultaneously freeze meat and obliterate the upper layers of earth's atmosphere, ashtrays everywhere, and leather made from everything America had smashed its Nixonian boots down upon with authority!

Teach her proper gun handling- machine guns! Hold that trigger down and dump bullets like a bus full of AARP members feeding quarters into slot machines. Remember to be emotive, as women today prefer emotive men. Shout over the sound of that Browning designed implement of belt fed Divine authority, "Take that! You G**D***ed animals! Get some!"

After all of this, there is nothing left to do but swing by a late night diner, the sound of armor piercing munitions still ringing in your ears, bones still vibrating like ballistic tuning forks ringing out the perfect pitch of Beethoven's "Whoop A** in D Major", and have a hearty helping of pie, some grapefruits, and several cups of finely ground black coffee to go along with some amyl nitrate. Then head back to a seriously swanky hotel room and shag like tomorrow was nothing but a nuclear weapon demolition derby, to be followed by a terrible, fear and loathing laden future of fallout, television evangelism, and strange ten foot tall teletubbie statues stitched together from old sofas and import Korean car interiors, set up in bizarre poses at seemingly random points along the distant stretches of post-nuclear American highways.

Glad to be of help. Go get 'em, Tiger.

Sincerely,

The Ghost of Raoul Duke
“Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final.”

Hunter S. Thompson
The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales From a Strange Time

Last edited by Volksgrenadier; 08-02-2016 at 11:36 AM..
Old 08-02-2016, 11:49 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

the world was a better place with Hunter S. in it, imo.......and that is the most Thompson-like read I've had in a very very long time: than you, Volks!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 08-02-2016, 12:05 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
Yep, you need to back off a bit until she is ready to go again......then take her to BLM land where you will be alone.

Hell, make it romantic. A little shooting, then a picnic, some wine, some blanket time.......
LOL have you ever been out to the desert? picnic in a godforsaken wasteland. ok.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
the world was a better place with Hunter S. in it, imo.......and that is the most Thompson-like read I've had in a very very long time: than you, Volks!
Why thank you. I had hoped that you might notice. Besides which, someone had to set this young lad on the right path to dating success. And who better to help, than Hunter S. Thompson?

And yes, I miss him too. What was that he wrote once, "...one of God's strange prototypes, never intended for mass production..." When not worshiping Odin, collecting tomahawks, and generally being rad, I have been known to be found with a martini in a jacuzzi reading The Great Shark Hunt.

I wish he was still with us, here in Calguns OT.
“Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final.”

Hunter S. Thompson
The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales From a Strange Time
Old 08-02-2016, 12:31 PM

OMG, Hunter S participating in OT?!

boggles the mind!!!!!!

and LOL, Cal.BAR: admittedly it would not be my first, last or any choice for a romantic picnic....with or without firearm practice.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 08-02-2016, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_MKiii View Post
My guess is that most of the Ladies here already had firearm exposure at some point in their lives. The question I have is for the Ladies that came around. You didn't like them but something made you change your mind. What was it that helped you shift over, to not be afraid. I got into firearms about 2 years ago, my fiancι however, wants no parts of it. I have attempted on different occasions to introduce her to the world of fire arms.

I've come from many angles, from a safety only session, the importance of the 2nd amendment, the importance of personal safety and also how it can also be a stress reliever. I once was able, by some miracle, to get her to a range. I rented her a .22lr handgun for less bang and less percussion. A gentleman in the lane next to us must have been blasting some .45acp. Needless to say, the noise and feel of the blast rattled her nerves and she left me to shoot alone (insert violin).

Is there any advice that the Ladies can give me, I would greatly appreciate it.
Hi, Gil,

Yes, I could offer you a little drop of advice, but I'd suspect you really wouldn't care to hear it........which is, if she says she 'wants no parts of it', consider being respectful her feelings, and accepting of her personal choices/preferences at 'face value'.

Her opinion/feelings on that subject may change, over the years, but, then again, they may not......a reasonable question for you comes to mind..... 'could you be comfortable with that?'.

If your question here suggests that you are running some sort of fantasy about 'she will change her mind, if only I can find the optimal incentive', you may well be doomed to failure.......do you think your relationship can comfortably survive that, or will you become secretly resentful, which could subtly poison the relationship?.

cheers

Carla
Old 08-02-2016, 2:49 PM

Carla makes a very good point and reminds me of something I read years ago and still find to be so very true: before you try and change someone else remember how hard it is to change yourself.

and re "Needless to say, the noise and feel of the blast rattled her nerves and she left me to shoot alone (insert violin)."

better she leaves you alone to shoot than she leaves you alone after a divorce. sometimes you just have to respect the other person's decision/opinion.....
Quote:
Old 08-02-2016, 3:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphodel View Post
Hi, Gil,

Yes, I could offer you a little drop of advice, but I'd suspect you really wouldn't care to hear it........which is, if she says she 'wants no parts of it', consider being respectful her feelings, and accepting of her personal choices/preferences at 'face value'.

Her opinion/feelings on that subject may change, over the years, but, then again, they may not......a reasonable question for you comes to mind..... 'could you be comfortable with that?'.

If your question here suggests that you are running some sort of fantasy about 'she will change her mind, if only I can find the optimal incentive', you may well be doomed to failure.......do you think your relationship can comfortably survive that, or will you become secretly resentful, which could subtly poison the relationship?.

cheers

Carla
Good point. Always remember

A woman's mind changed against her will is a woman of the same mind still

It's often easy to will a battle and loose the war.

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 08-02-2016, 8:47 PM

Idk if someone already said this.. Pull the ring off her finger until she comes around. If not There's 7billion people in this world, I'm sure there's she not " the only one".
Old 08-02-2016, 9:17 PM

welcome to the LADIES' FORUM, dune870demon.
OT type responses are to be left in OT.
please read the rules Mr K posted for this forum.
it was created so there would be a place for women calgunners to go and not have to put up with the OT attitude.
and, yes, your post reeks of OT attitude.
telling someone in a forum created for women that the OP should rip a ring off her finger just doesn't seem congruous with the intent and the actual rules for this area of calguns.
Quote:
Old 08-25-2016, 7:12 PM

First time poster here. I was raised to think guns were dangerous, to be used only by the military and police.

When I met my husband (retired law enforcement and competition shooter), he did not insist that I use guns, or even like them. He did insist that I be safe with them, since they were a major part of his life. He spent a lot of time gently and patiently teaching me about gun safety. I absorbed his teachings because guns are important to him and he's important to me.

My wanting to shoot came several years later. This was my idea, he didn't push it (he knows me better than that!). I'm not nearly as talented a shooter as he is -- but I do have basic-level skills. Unlike him, I have no interest in any form of competition. I still don't like the noise -- I'm known for wearing double hearing protection. And unsafe shooters terrify me.

So, my advice is, change your expectations and respect her views. Right now, she's not interested in learning how to shoot. And that's okay. Some day she may want to, or perhaps she never will. You cannot predict her future interests and choices. Let her be, and enjoy her for who she is, not who you want her to be.

However, I agree with my husband's policy. I think you do have the right to insist that she understand and practice gun safety, whether or not she ever decides to try shooting.

So, my advice is, forget about pressuring he to shoot, and gently, patiently focus on safety. That's what's really important.

Just my thoughts, worth what you paid for them.

Last edited by Doberpug; 08-27-2016 at 11:57 AM..
Old 08-25-2016, 7:52 PM

Married over 12, together 15. When we were dating she tried it a few times. Once we got married maybe she's tried once. Doesn't like to shoot but gives me no trouble about shooting or loading. (She does talk smack in front of people about the one time she caught me watching John wick while holding a gun).

I've just learned that the best I can do is keep buying her guns to try and change her mind and keep them for me when it doesn't work. My daughters both show interest and maybe if they start shooting shed try again. She did like trap shooting the one time she tried it but later (unrelated) had a detached retina and surgery and shotguns are out now. That's important to think about, expose her gently to all the different shooting sports. One may be her gateway drug, Er, shoot

Red
Old 08-25-2016, 8:33 PM

What's a doberpug look like? I am curious!
Old 08-25-2016, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukleusX View Post
What's a doberpug look like? I am curious!
Probably terrible! I'm not in favor of so-called designer dogs. At the time I needed a forum handle, I owned both breeds, and combined their names for a unique identifier.
Old 08-25-2016, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberpug View Post
Probably terrible! I'm not in favor of so-called designer dogs. At the time I needed a forum handle, I owned both breeds, and combined their names for a unique identifier.

Well fine. I need to now hire an artist who loves dogs to draw me what they think this lovable creature would look like... My curiosity is piqued! Hah
Old 08-25-2016, 8:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

First and foremost, do NOT FORCE HER. If she doesn't want to shoot, it's her choice and you should respect that. My dad has been an avid hunter and shooter for over 70 years. He has been a competitive shooter and LEO since the 70's. My mother has fired exactly ONE ROUND in her life. They have been married for over 50 years now. She has zero interest in learning to shoot but, that doesn't stop her from supporting my dad's interest by going to a match every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolProf View Post
I would be happy to work with her. I am a NRA firearms instructor. I am also a Well Armed Woman instructor. We are trained to train women. It is an awesome program. If I can be of any help to her or anyone, please contact me at (951)741-5326 or wellarmedglockgirl@gmail.com
If she has any interest in learning at all, take PistolProf up on her offer and/or sign your GF up for a Women On Target Clinic at Oaktree. I'd push for WOT but, I bias (I've been involved in the CGSSA's WOT program since it's beginning) and don't know enough about WAW to make an informed decision.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
Old 08-26-2016, 4:34 PM

My wife had never shot a gun before a couple of years ago. I took her out and she shot a couple of handguns at a private range and hated it. 6 months later, I was going to go shooting with a couple we were friends with and told her to come along. She didn't have to shoot. It would be a fun day. She ended up trying trap and loved it. She now has her own shotgun. She only likes clay shooting. Pistol isn't always the best gun to start therm out with.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2016, 11:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Newbie here and thoroughly enjoyed that post. Good to see the male point of view for a shooter's date. LOL
Old 09-13-2016, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttimerestraint View Post
My wife had never shot a gun before a couple of years ago. I took her out and she shot a couple of handguns at a private range and hated it. 6 months later, I was going to go shooting with a couple we were friends with and told her to come along. She didn't have to shoot. It would be a fun day. She ended up trying trap and loved it. She now has her own shotgun. She only likes clay shooting. Pistol isn't always the best gun to start therm out with.
Really glad she found her niche.

I used to shoot clay pigeons with my ex, and enjoyed it, but it was his thing. After we divorced, I didnt touch any gun for nearly 20 years. Now, i'm loving handguns. I don't like longguns. I injured my shoulder a couple of years ago, and now it's hard for me to hold up a rifle while standing, even an AR. I can easily do shoot it while sitting or leaning across with the rifle resting on a platform. I enjoyed the long distance shooting, but geez, a scope/magnification system (which I need) can be expensive. Not sure if I really want to fork out the bucks for that.
Old 09-23-2016, 7:54 PM

Consider going to a range at the minute they open... on a Sunday... don;t stay long and just let her have the experience... I became an owner after several political events made me think that in an emergency I wanted to be the one with arms...

Just my $.02...

Profiler
Old 12-02-2016, 7:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

I have been married for 4 years and yesterday was our 11th year together. She was born and raised in a liberal family with both of her parents growing up in SF. My wife and her entire family are/were anti-gun but my wife accepted my desire to be a gun owner with consideration to my father's background in law enforcement and my military background. My wife happens to be highly educated and surprisingly open minded for being raised in a sheltered environment. We always discussed guns in the home and what the rules would be if we had children and over the years, civilized, rational discussions about firearms and ownership has softened her up. Fast-forward, we have 2 kids and guns are not a major issue; my wife owns a couple of her own guns. I think the key is to never argue to get your point across and respect her by gradually introducing firearm education and outing opportunities. They key thing I have learned in relationships and in business is to never create a defensive environment when you are trying to sell something to include your point of view. Asking questions and addressing hot topics and pain points are paramount to moving forward on sensitive topics.
Old 12-04-2016, 2:32 PM

Yet again, the OP asked for WOMEN's opinions, in the WOMEN's Forum. And yet again, the guys jump in and tell us what women think.

I have no problem with men typing a response for their wives/gf/sisters, etc., if it is the lady's ideas. I do have a problem with men telling men how to manage women in the WOMEN's FORUM.

If OP wanted men's opinions, I imagine he would have asked elsewhere...
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 12-04-2016, 3:00 PM

Now, having vented, I'll try to respond to OP's question, which I think was "how do I get my (resistent) fiance to share my interest in shooting".

My immediate thought is to find out what she doesn't like about it. The idea? The hardware? The noise and dirt? The people who do it? Political considerations? If you don't know specifically what her reasons are, you can't solve them. IMNSHO, most people of any gender who are resistant to shooting either have pre-conceived ideas about what it will be like (loud, hurts, scary etc), or they have no real world experience and are simply scared by it. Again, you gotta find out the reason in order to find the solution.

My immediate suggestion would be to persuade her to go to a handgun safety course, just to be safe around the guns you yourself keep in the house. Half-day, classroom, better still if it's an all-women class, which exists. Most of those classes offer a half day of class, with a small caliber shooting session (optional) afterwards, to practice what they've learned about safe gun handling in real life. If your fiance gets that far, she then has a valid basis for an opinion on whether she'd like to share your hobby. (If she doesn't want to share your hobby, it's her privilege and you should find some guy friends to shoot with, while she has lunch with her girlfriends. Just let it be.)

For my first shooting experience I took that handgun safety class. It was a total goof on my part, Groupon had a deal for $35, for a full day of handgun safety class and outdoor shooting. It was something I had never done before, it was a cheap day of entertainment and I thought, what the hell, if I hate it, I hate it.

The class was mostly women and one of us told this horrifying and true story. This woman was married to a cop, who kept guns in the house, but his wife had always refused to have anything to do with guns. Period. One night, he was on duty, she was sitting on the sofa, 7 months pregnant, with her two year old beside her. Some big ugly guy starts forcing open the sliding glass door 10 feet from where she was sitting. And she realized that she and her child were about to be hurt or killed, her unborn baby was in severe danger, there was a loaded gun within steps and SHE DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT ! Luckily she had the presence of mind to leap to her feet with her (empty) hands in the shooting position and start screaming, "I have a gun and if you touch my kid, I'll kill you !". Big ugly guy decides she's too much trouble and leaves. So, the next weekend, she's in a handgun safety class along with me and 15 other people. Everyone who lives in a house where there's a gun should know how to handle it safely. I don't CARE if it's locked, locked up, in a safe, in the trunk of a car. EVERYONE.

So, for OP, that is where I would start, with being safe. She may like it, might not, but it's her decision.

And as a last-ditch attempt, offer that if she'll learn to handle guns safely and learn to shoot safely by taking lessons from an NRA Instructor, you'll go with her to ballroom dancing lessons. If that doesn't work, I can't help you.

Last edited by BonnieB; 03-25-2017 at 4:22 PM..
Old 01-07-2017, 6:28 PM

Well, my dad was into guns, so it was pretty natural for me.
Old 01-10-2017, 6:34 PM

Tell her it is important do you that she stay practiced in her shooting. Then make a date to go shooting. Schedule it for that time range opens, so that no one else is there. Request a lane at the far end. And have a wonderful, romantic lunch afterwards. She will associate positive feelings with the experience. Repeat this every other month or so…

The more you can associate the experience with good feelings the more favorable she will experience it.
Old 03-23-2017, 6:42 AM
Banned

While women can be more analytical than men, they tend to become emotional about topics of which they know little. Women tend to view guns emotionally.

The Second Amendment is not about target shooting, gun collecting, duck hunting, or even personal protection. It is all about securing individual liberty. If Americans knew why James Madison wrote the Second Amendment, Americans would look at guns not as inanimate objects but as symbols of individual liberty.

"Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, the existence of subordinate governments, to which the people are attached, and by which the militia officers are appointed, forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of. Notwithstanding the military establishments in the several kingdoms of Europe, which are carried as far as the public resources will bear, the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
---James Madison (on preventing tyranny in the USA)

Source: http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/fed46.asp

"When citizens fear their government, there is tyranny. When governments fear their citizens, there is liberty."
---Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-23-2017, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volksgrenadier View Post
Brah,

You have to go about this right. First off, you need a sweet ride and to dress nice when you pick her up. Taking some high powered blotter acid first can help with first date nerves.

Sincerely,

The Ghost of Raoul Duke
Blotter acid is so 60's. Try a VVE cocktail. Vodka, Viagra, and Ecstasy. Give her one too.
Old 03-23-2017, 3:30 PM

Thanks to everyone for the rsponses.

BonnieB, I greatly appreciate your response as well.

I've yet to take any solid action on any and all offers I've received. Since my original post, we've gotten married and are expecting our first child. I won't push the issue any longer with her, save for a safety class. I will let her maternal instincts go into over drive when our beautiful little girl arrives. Maybe then she will feel a bit more compelled to learn how to protect herself.
"Anti-gun laws aren't about crime. They ensure much of the proletariat will have no more than pitchforks when they rise up in armed revolt, make peasants feel the overlords are protecting them, and reduce behavior frowned upon by the intolerant masses."
Drew Eckhardt
Old 03-23-2017, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the rsponses.

BonnieB, I greatly appreciate your response as well.

I've yet to take any solid action on any and all offers I've received. Since my original post, we've gotten married and are expecting our first child. I won't push the issue any longer with her, save for a safety class. I will let her maternal instincts go into over drive when our beautiful little girl arrives. Maybe then she will feel a bit more compelled to learn how to protect herself.
Be ready for your wife to also choose not to learn how to use a gun. It is her choice. As long as she accepts that you are a shooter and you safely store you guns away from your curious daughter so she stays safe, all should be good.

I hope you have had the conversation about teaching your daughter to shoot. It was that conversation that nearly ended my marriage.

My wife has no problem with my guns now and has hinted she might go shooting with me some day. I do not bring up that conversation, i let her do it.

A vote is clearly much more dangerous than a gun.

Why advocate restrictions on one right (voting) without comparable restrictions on another (self defense) (or, why not say 'Be a U.S. citizen' as the requirement for CCW)?

--Librarian
Old 03-24-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplekrazysix View Post
drink booze while shooting thats all we need a new gun person shoot themselves cus their fiance wont wait till she is comfy with it ****ing moron
Me and the Mrs. have had plenty of dates where we shoot and then go out to dinner.

The way I read it was that the picnic comes after the shooting. Which is perfectly fine.

/unless the two of you like to live dangerously.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:46 AM

My current GF had never been shooting but she was open to it. It scares her a lot but she still tries because she feels it's important to know...I load .38 Special "bunny farts" to shoot out of an 8 inch revolver and she likes that particular setup. She's fully aware our future home with have a gun room and she doesn't care in the slightest because she trusts me.

I think she realized how comfortable I was when shooting at BLM with friends. I popped out a folding chair by the truck and managed to fall asleep with the sounds of "pop pop" everywhere.
Old 03-25-2017, 4:11 PM

For you Calgunners who scan the "New Posts", this thread is in the WOMEN'S FORUM and may not be of interest to the OT crowd....

[QUOTE=Socratic;19859837]While women can be more analytical than men, they tend to become emotional about topics of which they know little. Women tend to view guns emotionally.

Socratic, I am absolutely STUNNED at your willingness to stereotype women. Please cite the academic and statistical sources you are using for your position that "women are emotional about topics of which they know little". Or "that women can be more analytical than men". Can't produce evidence? I thought so...

As we say "you have a right to your own opinions, but no right to your own 'facts'..." So, if you were just stating your opinions, 'fess up and apologize.

In the meantime, I am willing to stipulate that most people probably are fearful of topics that are new and strange to them. But people, not just women. My opinion, but a commonly held one, I think. And probably provable scientifically, if you insist.

Also, I am STUNNED that you think we women of the Women's Forum need your help in understanding the Constitution, its intent and purposes. Buddy, I'll match my knowledge of that topic against yours any day you like.

I cry "BULL***" on your comments and invite you to read the Instructions for the Women's Forum, a sticky at the top of the Forum, before you shoot your mouth off again.

(Gee, Bonnie, are you a little offended? You bet your life I am...)

Last edited by BonnieB; 03-25-2017 at 4:16 PM..
Old 03-26-2017, 8:07 AM

Bonnie, well written!
Quote:
Old 03-26-2017, 8:29 PM

Well said Bonnie!

I spent many years studying evolutionary biology and this included gender differences in many different species. When dealing with living organisms, generalities are hard to come by because genetics make each individual unique, so there are exceptions to most rules.

The one thing that has has been a near constant from gender studies, no matter if we are talking humans, ducks, bees, or whatever, there are more differences within a gender than between genders.

So any statement that states men are more likely or women are more likely are often just opinions. Then mix in different human cultures and expectations, and it becomes nearly impossible to find differences like Socratic is attempting to present.

When I read the statement that women become more emotional about topics which they know little about my first thought was OT where it is mostly a testosterone infused fight arena where some men are engaging in elementary playground tactics based on emotions and not reason. They are bullying each other over issues they know very little about.

As a high school teacher I am amazed that so many know what I do or do not do, or what a typical day is like even though they have never done my job or followed me through a typical day.

Of course men never get emotion over car brands.

Life is simple, do not force your hobbies on others and do not feel the need to take up the hobbies of others. Spouses do not need to have all of their interests to be in common.

Finally, I do not understand why men believe it is important that the person they plan to marry and have children with who was neutral or against guns when they first met all of a sudden has to be pro-guns and a shooter. If it is that important, date a woman who is a shooter.

My wife loves to knit. I hate it. She has never felt the need to pressure me to take up knitting.

I only got back into guns when I had medical issues that prevented me from protecting my family and myself as I had in the past. The gun is the great equalizer. It was an emotional decision for me.

Last week I was at the range and met a man who was a pacifist who was new to guns. He has taken two classes at the LGR and shoots weekly. He changed his mind because of an emotional response to his neighbors being the victims of a home invasion where the thugs held them for over 4 hours. After it was over it still took the police 3 hours to arrive because they were dealing with two other home invasions in the same area. He realized the police could not protect him and he feared for his safety.

Men are just as emotional as women.

Socratic, your post is full of fail and you are speaking on a subject that you know very little about.

A vote is clearly much more dangerous than a gun.

Why advocate restrictions on one right (voting) without comparable restrictions on another (self defense) (or, why not say 'Be a U.S. citizen' as the requirement for CCW)?

--Librarian
Old 03-26-2017, 10:41 PM

Some people just don't like guns. My daughter is one of them. And she grew up in a family where everyone owns a gun and or hunts.....Even her mom.You need to respect their right not to like them just as you expect people to respect yours to like them. Back off........If she never touches a gun her whole life that's her choice and you should support it 100%.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited by maulich; 03-27-2017 at 5:43 AM..
Old 03-27-2017, 6:11 AM

I agree with Bonnie. I grew up around motorcycles, guns, whips, loud music... all the finer things in life. Then I chose to do it for a living for a while by joining the military :-)

All the ladies I've known dont like any of this stuff, yet appreciate the fact that I do. Count yourself lucky if you have a partner that doesn't look at you funny because you do fun stuff. My wife of 26 years doen't hunt, fish, shoot, chew tobacco, ride on a motorcycle, drink... or generally like mayhem in any way that I do.

And we can all be grateful for that. She is smart, emotionally intelligent, her own person, strong-willed and nice to be around. All the things you want from someone you have to spend a lot of time with. Lal this combined with not being hard to look at. I count myself lucky.

She feels no need to be attached to my hip nor I hers. I carry everyday, shoot and have lots of other fun hobbies, all of which she wants no part of. Let's face facts; I've never needed a gun... and probably neither will she, they are just nice to have around.

A man always gets the best part of the bargain when he has a wife or girlfriend; be grateful she wants nothing to do with your hobbies; this gives you the space to exercise them in peace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2017, 8:23 PM

Quote:

Congratulations on your wedding and on the upcoming arrival of your little one!

I think you're in the right neighborhood here. Just let your wife come to her own decision in her own time. She might decide to become interested or "ok" with guns or she may not. Understand that her maternal instincts may very well have an opposite effect -- she may decide that any and all guns are never ok to be around her baby. In that event, I think that maybe a gentle conversation about "This is how we can protect our daughter" can come into play. Until then, a simple safety class is a great start.

Best wishes to you both! (You three! )
Old 03-28-2017, 7:16 PM

yes, best wishes!
Quote:
Old 04-06-2017, 2:36 PM
C3 Leader

Well OP, I hope you received your answers and found them helpful. I agree with a lot of the people on here. Myself, I had to learn because there were firearms in my former life -- none of which I really understood. It's a good thing that I now know because I could have never fired a CF weapon without any experience! (Colt 1911 and Python)

Now, I enjoy the "perfect" combination in my current life of having a husband who supports my competitive shooting while I accompany him on bass tournaments. It helps to maintain a good relationship for us.

However, as others have said, don't "force" her to shoot if she's not into it. Everyone does things in different phases. I was a slow starter until I figured I could be good at Bullseye. Then I decided I wanted to become better with the .45 because so many men told me it was impossible for women to shoot (this will make the ladies on here laugh, I'm sure!)

If you have to, go out with your guy friends to shoot

If you live in Solano County, please join us at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/group.php?groupid=12

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, CRPA Board Member

Last edited by Steyrlp10; 04-06-2017 at 2:37 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-07-2017, 2:02 PM

For you Calgunners who scan the "New Posts", this thread is in the WOMEN'S FORUM and may not be of interest to the OT crowd....

There are actually people who think women can't shoot a .45? Gee, that's weird!

I'm closing in on 70 years old, and my .45 1911 is my absolute best gun. It's all metal, full size, my most accurate, most reliable, easiest to shoot of anything I own. I'd carry it if there were room in my jeans for anything but me....