Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-19-2011, 8:54 PM
Banned

Default remington 700 338 for AICS recommendations??

Want to build my next project rifle, I want to get an aics 2.0 with a remmington 700 set up on it. Any of you guys know which model I should go about getting or would the best deal be that I buy a complete remmington 700 338 and swap everything over to aics stock? I want to start getting into long range rifles and don't want to get a set up to where I'll tell myself damn I should of coined up a few more bucks and got the good stuff and at the same time don't want to shell out $5K without an optic either. I'm estimating I shell out 1200 for the stock and maybe 2000 for the rem700 and then figure out what optic to get. maybe even find some good deals online. Kinda did the AR and other tactical rifle stuff and now want to go long range. Chime in on your opinions and let me know.
Old 02-19-2011, 9:31 PM
Veteran Member

define long range...
Old 02-20-2011, 8:56 PM
Banned

well I don't know, I'm doing 300 yards with my eotech magnified 3x getting it in 10 inch groups and am wanting to get a nice scope for it and go out further (there's only so much you could do with the magnification. Maybe its time just to get another rifle and a scope! I'd like to get out to like 5-600 yards then get up a little more and would like a gun to eventually get out to my maximum capability... hopefully to about 1200 yards. I really think I should go with a .308 ammo wont be too expensive and it should be good to go out to 1000 yards, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also being a tight wad about going and blowing 5k on the complete AI AW, Just bought a FS2000 and kinda wish I went with a long range rifle instead of another cqb rifle, how many of those could you possibly need (never mind I shouldn't of said that, there's never too many right)?
Old 02-20-2011, 9:16 PM
Veteran Member

Do some research and you will find that .338 is not the "good stuff".
.338 isn't all that fun to shoot because ammo is extremely expensive and the recoil/blast gives me a headache after about 20 rounds. You would enjoy a .308 more because ammo is cheaper and it is more pleasant to shoot, if you want to shoot past 1k accurately, get a necked-down .308 like a .243 or a .260

Sure if you play Call of Duty and watch Future Weapons, it may seem like .338 is the top tier of precision rifles but in practical reality that isn't true.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Get a 308, and shoot it a lot. 338 just sounds like its a bit too much at this point in your shooting career. (No offense, its even too much for me and Ive shot to ~~750 or so with my .308). You will not be disappointed with a .308.

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
I have to try that method of attaching the front of a sling to the gun via pubic hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_on_bus View Post
Best part of buying that stock is it comes with its own complimentary jar of anal lube! There were several flavors to choose from, regular, hot cinnamon, or bacon. Im a man of danger so I chose Hot cinnamon to use with my bump fire buttstock.
Old 02-21-2011, 6:34 AM

rem 700 sps-v in .308
Old 02-21-2011, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryde View Post
Do some research and you will find that .338 is not the "good stuff".
.338 isn't all that fun to shoot because ammo is extremely expensive and the recoil/blast gives me a headache after about 20 rounds. You would enjoy a .308 more because ammo is cheaper and it is more pleasant to shoot, if you want to shoot past 1k accurately, get a necked-down .308 like a .243 or a .260

Sure if you play Call of Duty and watch Future Weapons, it may seem like .338 is the top tier of precision rifles but in practical reality that isn't true.
With all due respect. In practical reality? I guess it all depends on what you expect to happen when your bullet gets out there. Practically speaking, .338 will carry a lot more energy. A lot more. That means something.

Last edited by bridgeport; 02-21-2011 at 6:55 AM..
Old 02-21-2011, 7:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeport View Post
With all due respect. In practical reality? I guess it all depends on what you expect to happen when your bullet gets out there. Practically speaking, .338 will carry a lot more energy. A lot more. That means something.
What I meant was, in a practical sense, one is not going to want to spend a lot of time practicing and shooting on a .338 due to comfort and cost concerns.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryde View Post
What I meant was, in a practical sense, one is not going to want to spend a lot of time practicing and shooting on a .338 due to comfort and cost concerns.
A good brake will tame the recoil. I reload so the cost per load is manageable.
The effect and response on steel at long range is excellent at 1K yds and over.
Still though to be reasonable I will agree with you. Why? because I shoot
my .243 more and am about to do a new .260 build which mirrors exactly what you are saying. My not reasonable side though says that the response
and power of .338 means it must be an available option in my quiver.
Old 02-22-2011, 3:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeport View Post
I think you can hurt paper with a 308 just fine I guess. Maybe even put a few dings on metal targets out really far! lol
Old 02-22-2011, 3:07 PM
Banned

I just don't want to end up getting a 308 to only tell myself later on that "damn I should of, would of, could of got the 338". And if that's the case maybe get something to where I can upgrade later if need be. So I guess I'm gonna stick it out there and probably purchase a 308. There's actually one on sale on calguns right now with AICS 1.5 maybe talk to him and go from there. Although I should get the 2.0 for ****s and giggles and its easy for tear down too.
Old 02-22-2011, 6:39 PM
Calguns Addict

If money isn't an issue by all means get what you like. However, Pryde made a very good point about the cost of shooting a .338 lapua. Even with reloads, it is not cheap.

Best thing to do is to think it through. I've found that it's easy to become obsessed with certain purchases, but once the allure wears off you start to say to yourself what was I thinking. A .308 is easy to get into and sell off later if you desire. With the cost of shooting .338 you have to be committed or it's just going to sit in the safe. And since most people don't really have much call for such a platform, is a smaller market should you decide to sell later.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 02-22-2011, 9:20 PM
Banned

You didn't state which 338 cartridge you are planning to go with.

From the sounds of it, you haven't really shot out long distance to begin with. So IMO, the best to go with would be the .308 winchester. It's cheap, widely available, and easy to shoot since there really isn't any recoil. You need to learn the basics/fundamentals before you can even begin to look at stretching out a cartridge with more long range potential. Also loading for the .308win is cheap and the cartridge is very forgiving. You'll build up some handloading experience which will help you down the road.

Btw, you may want to try out the AICS stock before you plunk down the cash for it. It's definitely not for everyone.
Old 02-22-2011, 9:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbikearmen View Post
I just don't want to end up getting a 308 to only tell myself later on that "damn I should of, would of, could of got the 338". And if that's the case maybe get something to where I can upgrade later if need be. So I guess I'm gonna stick it out there and probably purchase a 308. There's actually one on sale on calguns right now with AICS 1.5 maybe talk to him and go from there. Although I should get the 2.0 for ****s and giggles and its easy for tear down too.

I would get the 2.0 simply because it is much easier to run a dewey rod through.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:34 PM

I have an AICS 1.5 in 308, i uses a boresnake and it runs through fine. Also i don't need to remove the cheekpiece to take my bolt out. If you really don't need the portability. . . i would save the $200 on the stock and spend it on better optics. Just my 2 cents.