Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 05-31-2012, 11:06 PM

Default Cutting bit for building

Hi fellow builders,

I'm currently finishing up build #2 and wanted to share something. I ran out of Dremel grinding bits and so went to the local HWS for some replacements. While there, I found a new bit for cutting metal and I wanted to share my experience with it. Its a Dremel #9903 - Tungsten Carbide Cutter. This little bit tears through the lower rails and receiver sheet metal so much easier than what I was using before. Took me about 2 minutes to grind a lower rail and egging a receiver hole took just a few seconds. The bit likes to be run fast so I used a very high speed - 8 of 10 on the speed scale. Slower speeds tended to make the bit bounce and skip. I do have a warning though.... do wear gloves and as always wear eye protection. The cutting action creates thousands of tiny splinters of metal. These splinters easily puncture skin and will get very stuck into your hands. Two days after I did the grinding, I still feel little pricks every time I rub or touch my hands to anything. Here's a pic of the bit in its packaging...

Have fun, be safe and build it yourself!

Dan
Old 06-02-2012, 4:22 PM
Banned

I'll be going to my first AK build party in SD and am stoked about it. I've been looking at YouTube videos and reading the tutorial for 1st timers. I do have a question about parkerizing though, what does the finished result look like?
Old 06-21-2012, 2:20 PM

I hope this is an appropriate thread to ask this question. I'm now planning purchase of kit and needed parts and tools and attending BP in near future.

I'm looking at a parts kit for Bulgy AK74 that has it's own barrel chopped and comes with another new chrome lined original Bulgy barrel pulled from another rifle? This is GTG, right?

Of course, I would make sure barrel work can be arranged to be done (headspace, populate) beforehand by the AK Team prior to BP.

You generally run out of time before you run out of ammo.

NRA Member [/FONT***] 
[

Former NRA Member
CGF Member
Old 06-21-2012, 6:14 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by artoaster View Post
I hope this is an appropriate thread to ask this question. I'm now planning purchase of kit and needed parts and tools and attending BP in near future.

I'm looking at a parts kit for Bulgy AK74 that has it's own barrel chopped and comes with another new chrome lined original Bulgy barrel pulled from another rifle? This is GTG, right?

Of course, I would make sure barrel work can be arranged to be done (headspace, populate) beforehand by the AK Team prior to BP.
Sounds good.

69Mach1
munkeeboi
TURBOELKY
antix2
WTSGDYBBR
tujungatoes
jmpgnr24K
Old 08-06-2012, 6:04 AM
Veteran Member

Does anyone have an opinion about a one-ton manual arbor press (Amazon Arbor press) for populating barrels, pressing barrel pin, setting rivets, etc.?
I just don't have room for the hydraulic press that seems so popular.

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2012, 8:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I believe that for populating barrels, you need the distance between the ram and the plate. Pressing barrel pin yes, and not sure of force required for rivets..
Old 09-12-2012, 4:53 PM

Thanks for an awesome guide. After reading it, my brother and I are planning on doing a pair of Aks in a few months.
Old 03-27-2013, 9:06 AM

Can't even begin to explain how much this thread helped! Wonderful. Thank you.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlock Tom View Post
Does anyone have an opinion about a one-ton manual arbor press (Amazon Arbor press) for populating barrels, pressing barrel pin, setting rivets, etc.?
I just don't have room for the hydraulic press that seems so popular.

Thanks.
Tothtools has a small tool that you can use for barrel work without 12t press http://www.tothtool.com/AK-Barrel-Re...-Tool_p_8.html.
Old 03-28-2013, 5:34 PM

Im looking for a build party can anyone help me !
Old 03-28-2013, 5:35 PM

In the bay area!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:13 AM

If your still looking contact me we have them every Sunday .

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewilson510 View Post
Im looking for a build party can anyone help me !
Old 06-04-2013, 6:20 PM

I don't have any access to a press and I want my FSB on my saiga swapped out with this FSB w/bayo lug I bought from K-Var. Can I bring it to an ak build party to get it done?
Old 06-04-2013, 6:25 PM

Knockoutz: Bevel some wood blocks to fit in a vise. Set barrel in vise. You can probably use either a wheel puller or a hammer and wood block to remove the FSB and then set the new one in place. That's how I've done most of my front ends, when needed.
Old 06-04-2013, 8:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockoutz View Post
I don't have any access to a press and I want my FSB on my saiga swapped out with this FSB w/bayo lug I bought from K-Var. Can I bring it to an ak build party to get it done?
It might be good to edit your profile to show your location in the upper right corner of all your posts like many of us do. You might get offers of help from somebody close by.
Old 06-17-2013, 8:26 PM

Love this guide. Printed it out and now it's dog-eared! Question re: parkerizing. How long does it take to parkerize an AK-74 lower and/or parts? Is it a long process? Minutes, hours, Days?

E1,E2,E3,E4,E5,E6,E7,O1,(W1, W2),O2,O3,O4,O5 - BAM, retired.
Old 06-17-2013, 8:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troberge View Post
Love this guide. Printed it out and now it's dog-eared! Question re: parkerizing. How long does it take to parkerize an AK-74 lower and/or parts? Is it a long process? Minutes, hours, Days?
Minutes in the solution. We degrease, sandblast, degrease, Parkerize, rinse, apply oil.
Old 06-17-2013, 8:53 PM

Nice. Thanks BigBob76. I'll PM you when I get my stuff together. Is this part of a BP or do you have a separate shop for this. Thanks for posting!

Old 06-18-2013, 1:38 PM

Great write up. Makes me want to go buy a kit and reciver and start a build. Anyone have any extra money towards my ak lol.
Old 06-18-2013, 2:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troberge View Post
Nice. Thanks BigBob76. I'll PM you when I get my stuff together. Is this part of a BP or do you have a separate shop for this. Thanks for posting!
We generally have all of this set up at build parties as part of the process. Welcome to our obsession!
Old 06-19-2013, 12:54 PM

Parts kit should be here in a few hours, flat ordered (with yummy G2 double hook trigger and other goodies) from AK Builders. Obsession! This is worse than waiting for Christmas when I was a kid.

Old 06-20-2013, 8:51 AM

After giving up waiting on a BP, I scheduled a one-on-one build with 69Mach1 and Wayne at their shop in Upland. Headed out this morning and spent 4+ hours with two extremely knowledgeable AK builders. I wanted to give a huge shout-out to Tom and Wayne for their help in building my first AK-74 from a Bulgarian kit. They also riveted a side plate for my scope mount, and of course we did that icky little mag lock thingie that the idiots in Sacto dictate that we have. The parkerizing on this beast turned out freaking awesome, dark grey. With their expertise, this AK came out perfectly aligned, tight and with no rattles.

The cost was a bit more than a BP, but the one-on-one tutorial was completely worth it. Great Job!

Last edited by 69Mach1; 08-11-2013 at 9:26 PM.. Reason: Add photo
Old 08-11-2013, 7:41 PM

BUMP?

Old 08-26-2013, 1:16 AM

Hello everyone, I am looking for a build party or someone who can help me with welding the rails on my receiver. I did my barrel, put everything on it and headspaced it. I bent my receiver and did the front trunion rivets. Now I am stuck at the rails.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:43 AM

I just decided I want to build a ak after putting together my ar Lego kit a few months ago. Thanks for all the info you provided. I need to go back and reread and start tracking down all the parts I'll need. It was a lot of info to retain with just one read.
I have a lot of the tools mentioned at my shop but think I'm missing a few things I'll need. Like I said I need to read again but thanks for the detailed info.
Old 11-04-2013, 7:31 PM

thanks for the great instructions 69Mach1!
I tried the method of using a 1/4" bit to countersink the holes for the neck swell rivets for my first couple builds, but since then Ive had much better success with hammering in a drywall screw (tapered) to dimple for the neck swells. Comes out much cleaner and you're not removing material this way. Thought it was worth mentioning.
Old 11-05-2013, 1:39 PM

just wondering if there is any build parties here in san jose? i mean i already have an AK but i just want to build one from scratch just like when i built my AR15 i have more sentimental value for it than the one i bought from DPMS..
Old 11-06-2013, 1:25 PM

Does anyone know of any ak bp in the oc area? And I'm new to this, where do I buy the parts kit
Old 12-04-2013, 1:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default What length of drill bits?

The photo on the first page shows a short-length drill bit. Is this the length we should buy? Or Jobber length?
Old 01-24-2014, 3:03 PM

Hello everyone new here! This is just what i was looking for, thanks!
building a ak 74> quick question for 922 r trigger options? will the g2 ak47 trigger work for my build? thanks.
Old 01-24-2014, 4:29 PM

Yes
Old 03-23-2014, 2:38 PM

I am curious saw some traffic that makes it look like there are no more build parties and there is some legal issues maybe. Just curious I am not LEO this is not a trick question just new here. thanks
Old 03-23-2014, 4:32 PM

ATF is disputing one mfr's definition of "not a firearm" after ruling so. They claim a change in production method, the mfr states this is not so.

ATF has pursued a CA shop that sells parts and services, including 80% (incomplete) receivers and equipment rentals. ATF has seized related products and customer records.

All other builds proceed at this time, and home building remains legal per US law, Title 18, USC. All that has changed is ATF's interpretation of ONE PARTICULAR base product.

The courts will sort out the details.

If you have a Polymer 80 lower, and there is a sales record back to you, you may wish to dispose of it, sell it, await ATF instructions on if you should do the above or run it through an FFL, or consult an attorney. I am not a lawyer, but I'd hold off on any decision. You can always destroy it/sell it/have it transferred later.
Old 03-23-2014, 4:34 PM

Keep in mind when reading articles that "80% receiver" is a marketing term with no legal definition. An item is either a "firearm" subject to ATF jurisdiction, or "not a firearm" and not subject to ATF jurisdiction. It's as valid to call one 90%, 50%, 79.9%, or Uncle George.
Old 03-23-2014, 6:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbaeren View Post
I am curious saw some traffic that makes it look like there are no more build parties and there is some legal issues maybe. Just curious I am not LEO this is not a trick question just new here. thanks
the ak build parties discussed in this and other threads, and the CNC machine shop AR15 "build parties" that you refer to are two completely different animals. it is the latter for-profit business ventures (which bear no resemblance to the former) that the ATF has been scrutinizing and cracking down on.
folks coming together to share expertise and tools and do manual work on their projects together in a completely grassroots, non-profit setting are well within the confines of the law regarding personal firearm building.
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
Statements posted here are the sole opinions of the author and not those
of CGN, CGF, CRPA, or any other institution or agency unless otherwise noted.
Old 05-07-2014, 9:02 PM

tagged
Old 05-08-2014, 10:04 AM
CGN Contributor

great thread, between this and the books by Guy and Nico this should go by rather smoothly.
"They show us what's missing in our lives, and how to love ourselves more completely and unconditionally. They connect us back to who we are, and to the purpose of why we are here."-Trisha McCagh when speaking about animals.
Old 05-16-2014, 9:49 PM

Thanks for the info, and no we don't serve tofu in nor cal.( must be from the people's republic of Berkeley)Thanks to Costco it's sirloin. Nothing like informational threads.
Old 05-23-2014, 8:11 AM

Can any of you guys help me out with replacing a new barrel on my wasr underfolder ak? I just need the location and price. If there is a BP please PM me the info thanks.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:59 AM

Great tutorial ! ... Just finished my first build, I forgot to heat treat my ejector, is it too late to do that the rifle is complete minus the barrel pin , I've already trimmed the ejector. Should I wait to sand blast and park until after test fire( head space is done)

Thank you