Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Jobs Wanted Jobs Offered
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Jobs Wanted Jobs Offered Need a job, need a job filled? Help out a fellow Calgunner!

Old 07-12-2017, 11:32 AM

Default ...

Last edited by Ahmad; 10-11-2017 at 12:03 PM..
Old 07-13-2017, 10:34 AM

Look into private security babysitting snot nose rich kids or hollywood libs, seriously!
Old 07-13-2017, 10:46 AM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

A good suggestion above in as much as there are no long range shooting facilities available anywhere in Orange County or even reasonably close to Orange County.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:00 AM

Having left the USMC in your same situation with the same skills, I found that it was best to let your USMC experience become a hobby and focus on using traits that are difficult to teach (jjdidtiebuckle) to your advantage. Continue your education while starting a new career. Law enforcement, skilled trade apprenticeships and helper programs seem to cater to prior service. Thank you for your sacrifice to our grateful nation and best of luck
Old 07-14-2017, 2:36 PM
Banned

you'd be good as Armed Security

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn9YdML8PPw

"skilled trades" pretty much all going to crap as Unions sell out their membership to Open Borders agenda and Mob takes Pension and Medical funds.

Last big new prison job I worked at had non-Union electricians for regular 110, security and telecom. NO union sparkies on the job. Unthinkable just 10yrs ago.

Even downtown mid-rise new apts requiring all sorts of uber-liberal city council approval are being built 100% non-Union(read about 80% illegal alien, and 20% crazed meth addic), again, unthinkable just 10yrs ago.
Old 07-14-2017, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomanattact View Post
Having left the USMC in your same situation with the same skills, I found that it was best to let your USMC experience become a hobby and focus on using traits that are difficult to teach (jjdidtiebuckle) to your advantage. Continue your education while starting a new career. Law enforcement, skilled trade apprenticeships and helper programs seem to cater to prior service. Thank you for your sacrifice to our grateful nation and best of luck
^^This. Extract those skills that allowed you to succeed. Attention to detail, speaking to groups, training others, developing curriculum?, dealing w/ difficult people without resorting to killing them, report writing?, etc. Those are what you want to push and bring out in your resume. Sorry I can't help w/ a job but good luck w/ your change in path and keep us posted!
Old 07-14-2017, 10:52 PM

Thanks for the advice gentlemen. I'll use all of it. I felt it best to network and put my name out there as much as possible. Never know when someone might be looking for a competent person to do anything.

if this threads up, I'm still looking for flexible work.

Cheers.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:44 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
Thanks for the advice gentlemen. I'll use all of it. I felt it best to network and put my name out there as much as possible. Never know when someone might be looking for a competent person to do anything.

Cheers.
Most all of the larger So. Cal law enforcement agencies are hiring and all encourage veterans to apply.

Thanks for your service!
Old 07-15-2017, 12:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Stub Hub Center is hiring full and part time, all kinds of positions.

LASD is recruiting HARD, but it takes almost a year to go thru the process right now.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Old 07-15-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I'm stationed down on Camp Pendleton. I get out of the Corps in 2.5 months and I am already a full time college student. My training doesn't translate to the civilian sector very well (explosive breaching, destroying my enemies, etc.) but I am a very accomplished marksmanship coach having coaching over 3000 recruits and Marines to qualify expert (Marine Corps standards) on rifle and pistol. I'm older and more mature than your average Marine getting out after 4 years (honorably) having just turned 26.

I need a part time flexible gig in the South OC/San Clemente area. My GI bill is great but it isn't enough to pay for my wife and I as she is a full time college student also. I have a resume drafted and ready to go.

If you're just looking for some instruction. I can teach you combat marksmanship on most any platform 100-500m+ along with cqb and mechanical breaching, patrolling, and just about any other basic or advanced infantry tactics.

I'm adaptable, mature and open minded. Im all ears for any offer.

Thank you.
Your security clearance gives you value. Consultant jobs are available if you have a niche skill that's marketable.

BAH, Stroz, Etc. Are always looking for someone with a current TS

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2017, 12:47 PM

Go to some temp agencies. You can try working in different industries for a while so you can see what you like and don't like.

Also, are you sure you want out? Can you change MOS's to something that will make you happier? A 20 year pension is tough to come by in the private sector.

Do your research and maybe apply to become a police officer? Orange County Sheriff? Good luck brother. Thanks for your service.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:57 PM
Beretta 92FS
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsu619 View Post
Your security clearance gives you value. Consultant jobs are available if you have a niche skill that's marketable.

BAH, Stroz, Etc. Are always looking for someone with a current TS

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
OP has a DOD Clearance?

Aerospace in LA is hiring like crazy. It's even picked up in OC. Marines typically are great candidates as they have skills in learning quickly and most have decent organizational skills. You might fit into QA or Engineering. Great long term stability, decent pay, great benefits. And decent hours. I would avoid Security like the plague, pay is poor, stability is poor, IMO. Your knowledge of existing Weapons systems might get you in the door with the manufacturer of that Weapon system. Grumman / Northrup, Raytheon, ect.. Boeing is always hiring.

Last edited by orangeusa; 07-15-2017 at 12:59 PM..
Old 07-15-2017, 1:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Cheers.
When my brother got out of the USAF, he tried trades, but ended up in law enforcement. Those skills translate well from what he says.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: I cant wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Old 07-15-2017, 1:21 PM

Law enforcement to correctional officer for state.
Old 07-15-2017, 5:28 PM

I'm in L.A. but depending on cost, I'd like to learn long range rifle skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2017, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpalms1 View Post
I'm in L.A. but depending on cost, I'd like to learn long range rifle skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My mother lives in Torrance and we go up to visit on occasion. We can always meet at a locafion also.

Thanks for the help gentlemen again truly I appreciate it. I understand beggars can't be choosers, I just need flexible work while I pursue my degree. I'm about 2 years off from getting it. Thank you.
Old 07-15-2017, 7:32 PM

Quote:
I'm stationed down on Camp Pendleton. I get out of the Corps in 2.5 months and I am already a full time college student. My training doesn't translate to the civilian sector very well (explosive breaching, destroying my enemies, etc.) but I am a very accomplished marksmanship coach having coaching over 3000 recruits and Marines to qualify expert (Marine Corps standards) on rifle and pistol. I'm older and more mature than your average Marine getting out after 4 years (honorably) having just turned 26.
Proven to work well under extreme pressure. Can teach, instruct with solid leadership skills. Proven supervisor/manager skills. Excellent public speaking skills.

Good luck and thank you for your service
Old 07-15-2017, 8:55 PM

Thanks. I'm weighing my options for running a monthly 2 day marksmanship course to help make ends meet. Try some entrepreneurship.
Old 07-15-2017, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomanattact View Post
^^^Good advice here. A lot of us have been in your shoes, blowing things up, kicking doors, and shooting people isn't a sought after skill set in the 1st Civ Div. After I got out of the Corps I tried college while working full time and it was rough. I ended up getting into an apprenticeship program with the Operating Engineers union and have been running Cranes and Heavy Equipment for almost 20 years now. Your GI Bill will pay you throughout your apprentice program too which was a nice bonus check. I wanted to be a firefighter but that was back when Affirmative Action was everywhere so I got frustrated and gave up on that. I make good money and the benefits are great so I'm happy. Most of the guys I got out with are Cops or fireman.

A couple words of advice though, be sure that you tell them any issues service related physically in your medical records. It's very hard to prove something later without documentation. Also make your own copies of your medical record if possible, things manage to get lost at the VA, shocking right! Be sure to use your GI Bill to the fullest. Get a degree in something you like but that you can also make money at. If you have DOD clearance that helps with many GOV jobs and if you can get some type of gov job your military years count towards retirement.

Good luck and Semper Fi
Old 07-15-2017, 10:34 PM

School is essential and luckily I'm a straight A student. But there are literally zero resources to help with the point between transition and GI bill. They just sort of leave you at the door with a "hey hope you have a plan buddy!" And luckily I do have a plan but this is part of it. I'm pursuing everything to make ends meet while my wife and I go to school.

California isn't cheap, especially Orange County and that GI bill is pennies compared to what we need. Loans are a necessity but even federal loans aren't enough in California. It's a different sort of challenge than what I faced my last four years, deploying and leading Marines.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:38 PM

Thank you for your service and best of luck on your transition.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:55 PM

What do you plan to do with that degree? I earned a BS degree years ago and it never really got me much of anything. I don't regret it but if you are looking to earn a living, you don't really need a degree. Think law enforcement. Fire is too competitive to get in. CHP is near tops on pay and benies. They also hire more than almost any dept. Cal. Dept. of Corrections is also an option. The pay and benies are not as good as CHP but no pushing a car. The pay is near the top for CA. More than most special depts., SO, and most PDs. They also hire more than ANY other dept. in CA. LA area has several local, good options.

I work CDC and several guys are going to school days and working nights. Younger guys that are doing it as much to meet the ladies than anything else. It keeps them out of trouble.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:46 AM

I speak two dialects of Arabic, my critical thinking isn't too shabby, I'm a trained infantryman, and I'm half way to a degree in international relations with a minor in global middle eastern studies. I'm set... if I can maintain this roof over my head.

Last edited by Ahmad; 07-16-2017 at 12:48 AM..
Old 07-16-2017, 1:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks. I'm weighing my options for running a monthly 2 day marksmanship course to help make ends meet. Try some entrepreneurship.
The liability insurance most places will require could price you out of the market. One of many reasons I let my metal detector business run its course. Everywhere wanted a million in liability insurance. Stupid California

Good luck, and thanks for your service. At least stay in the reserves to keep your pension viable.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Old 07-16-2017, 2:33 AM

With 2 dialects of Arabic you should be a shoe in for CIA, DOD, NSA, FBI or even security contracting. They are always looking for translators, and being you have the skills an Operator job shouldn't be hard to find. Check usajobs.gov
Old 07-16-2017, 7:00 AM

Default Federal employment?

My brother worked holiday fill-in at the USPost Office, and said that sort of federal work continues military service time towards pension/retirement.

If you could find a Post Office job, there'd be that add'l benefit for you.
Old 07-16-2017, 8:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
The liability insurance most places will require could price you out of the market. One of many reasons I let my metal detector business run its course. Everywhere wanted a million in liability insurance. Stupid California

Good luck, and thanks for your service. At least stay in the reserves to keep your pension viable.
My uncle did that. Has a good pension as a retired Col.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: I cant wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Old 07-16-2017, 9:50 AM

I'm pretty adamant about getting out. You don't appreciate your freedom until you lose it and I miss it quite a bit.
Old 07-24-2017, 9:02 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty adamant about getting out. You don't appreciate your freedom until you lose it and I miss it quite a bit.
I currently work in the contracting world and are on contract here in afghan using the so called grunt skill trade..

Stay in drop your package to Intel get a top secret clearance and when you get out make a 6 figure job starting..

I work on a joint task force base with the whole lot of SOF dudes and trust me. Carry a gun does not pay **** any more. Dudes who watch a drone feed make like 160K a year here and do like 3 month rotations... Trust me stay in go Intel make real money the easy way
Old 07-24-2017, 11:11 AM

My bro did intel. He told me the same thing you said. Guys would retire on Friday. On Monday, they show up in civilian clothes, sit at the same desk, doing the same job on the same computer for double the pay.
Old 07-25-2017, 2:38 PM
CGN Contributor

Wishing you the very best man, hopefully things will pan out great with time.
Since you talked about flexible gig, have you looked into Amazon weekend delivery etc or jobs in Hospitals ???
Good luck.
Old 07-26-2017, 8:33 PM

I appreciate the support guys. Seriously. It means the world. I was at one point just an immature teenager on this website and now I'm coming on the end of my time in the Corps and moving onto college.

It's come to that time where I have to put my guns up for sale. It is an investment in my future so that I can acquire way cooler stuff down the line. Tailored suits are expensive but I figure it's necessary in order for me to secure internships, scholarships and jobs. I'll try to let them go as slow as possible with the hopes that I don't have to sell everything.

If anyone here knows someone who can give me a deal on a tailored suit in LA/OC/SD I would greatly appreciate it.

I'll even do a trade.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1352433
Old 07-31-2017, 9:51 PM

There is a company I worked for in vista that hired a lot of marines and navy vets fresh out the company name is accutek packaging the production manager is a former 1st sgt he has a hardon for marines Warren Subllet is his name look them up see if they can work something out with you
Old 08-01-2017, 7:12 AM

Will do. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2017, 9:34 AM

Some more possible ideas in this thread from OT:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1360152
Old 08-01-2017, 9:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Dude, just get a suit at a large Penneys. That'll work. And check the local county jobs such as evidence tech, etc. at jails.
Old 08-04-2017, 5:12 PM

PM sent.
Old 08-09-2017, 3:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I need a part time flexible gig in the South OC/San Clemente area. My GI bill is great but it isn't enough to pay for my wife and I as she is a full time college student also. I have a resume drafted and ready to go.

If you're just looking for some instruction. I can teach you combat marksmanship on most any platform 100-500m+ along with cqb and mechanical breaching, patrolling, and just about any other basic or advanced infantry tactics.

I'm adaptable, mature and open minded. Im all ears for any offer.

Thank you.
You should see about paid internships through the college you are attending.

My son in law did 6 years in the Marines and started attending Hayward State when he got out in 2012. He picked up a paid summer internship at Lawrence Livermore Labs. They liked him, so they kept him on at 20 hours a week for 2+ years until he graduated. He started at $18/hr and worked his way up to $23/hr. He graduated and is now working for a small tech firm.

There may be similar paid internships at the college that you are attending.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If you haven't considered the Building Trades, I would seriously do that. Don't do anything except work Union. Trust me on this one
Old 08-30-2017, 4:16 PM

There was a transition summit today on base. Tons of companies. One actually provides free security guard certification. Could be an option.