Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 09-19-2017, 3:37 PM

Default Red Dots and an astigmatism. What info to take to optometrist?

Im sure this has been discussed but I am having some trouble finding some good info (between google and searching the forum) and could use some help.

I went to go try out an Ar with a red dot sight and, upon looking through the glass, discovered that the condition makes the dot look like a 3 pronged starburst, and thanks to google that my astigmatism is the cause. I actually looked through 2 dots (They had a truglo and an Aimpoint micro on rental guns) and both times saw the exact same shape both through my glasses and with my glasses off. Guys at 2 local gun stores had no idea this was even an issue (They must demand 20/0 to work behind a desk) but I also went to my eye doctor and the glasses store attached to it today to ask if they had any idea what could be the cause and neither of them had a clue. So the problem I am having is that I am not sure what info I should take to the eye doctor to potentially get this corrected.

The doc I spoke too had never even heard of this, nonetheless a way to potentially fix it. Her first notion was my glasses werent correcting properly, but I have no issues reading or shooting with irons. I have seen some suggest polarizing sunglasses could do the trick but I dont want to get sunglasses and find they dont work. Any help on what info to take to the doctor would be much appreciated.

Edit: Just seen that Wal Mart sells polarizing sun glasses for not a lot of money. Think ill buy a cheapo pair then go to the gun store to see if that fixes it. Worst case doesnt work and I return them. Best case I get a good lead on a way to fix it and can take that info to my doctor.

Last edited by Chenstrap; 09-19-2017 at 4:05 PM..
Old 09-19-2017, 7:10 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm no expert, but it sounds like your prescription didn't account for your astigmatism. Is your prescription old? Perhaps you developed your astigmatism after your last eye exam and prescription.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 09-19-2017, 7:29 PM

Do you have a copy of your prescription? If so, have a look at it. If there are numbers under a column/field called "Axis" then you were found to have astigmatism.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/eyegla...escription.htm

Another dead giveaway is if you look through your lenses one eye at at time and rotate the lens 90 degrees. If things get REALLY blurry, it's because your lenses correct for astigmatism.

But... after reading through your post again, sounds like K1dude is right. If the dots look the same with and without your glasses, your prescription doesn't seem to be accounting for any astigmatism.

Last edited by Ki6vsm; 09-19-2017 at 7:34 PM..
Old 09-19-2017, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
I'm no expert, but it sounds like your prescription didn't account for your astigmatism. Is your prescription old? Perhaps you developed your astigmatism after your last eye exam and prescription.
Im thinking this is likely the case. I have an identical post on reddit and someone suggested that I might have a more severe astigmatism. I actually think the opposite could be possible that I have a mild astigmatism and they just didnt correct for it in the lenses of my glasses. My perscription isnt very strong. I can do most things without them pretty easy and can recognize items with them off. Its just reading thats a pain.

Because the red dots I have looked thru (3 today. the tru glo, a micro aim point, and a 30mm tube aim point) ALL had the exact same pattern, and I confirmed the issue was my eyes by rotating the optics. Also tested with a cheap set of polarized Wal Mart sun glasses, and all that did was make the shape I was seeing less blurry but didnt turn the reticle into a dot.

I also inadvertently recreated the rear sight test with a tag on the sun glasses. As I looked thru the optic one of the tags fell into my face and in doing so it made the reticule look more like a dot.

Also the glasses are only about a year old. I am gonna go talk with them again tomorrow and likely set an appointment, likely just get a set of shooting glasses if I need an updated set as this is the only issue I have had vision wise in the year I had them.
Old 09-19-2017, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki6vsm View Post

Another dead giveaway is if you look through your lenses one eye at at time and rotate the lens 90 degrees. If things get REALLY blurry, it's because your lenses correct for astigmatism.
Interesting. Just tried this and while things get blurry I can still make out the words in your post, but they do go blurry.
Old 09-19-2017, 8:04 PM

Youre not alone OP. I too have a astigmatism and have the same issue.... and Ive read on different forums people complaining about this in the past. Over the years Ive learned that using the dimmest scope setting helps with the scatter. Last year, I also started using prescription sunglasses when outdoors which also helps with the scatter. Ive never tried to research how to "fix" this. Ive just accepted that Im deformed and roll with it.

edit: one way you can tell that you have a astigmatism is by putting your cell phone camera against the scope. When you look at the red dot through the phone camera, the flare will be gone and you will see the perfect circle. Ive also heard the prism scopes (like vortex spitfire) help with this problem, so maybe try it at the store and see if it solves your issue.

Last edited by Trriemferent; 09-19-2017 at 8:37 PM..
Old 09-20-2017, 7:11 AM

Yeah. I have this vision problem too. It's why I know a bit about it already. FWIW, I have both the SPARC and the Burris trs-25. Both dots are a blurry 'swoosh' without my glasses, both are nice round dots when wearing my various corrective glasses. i.e., my general glasses, 'office' glasses, and sunglasses. And I didn't need to mention to my optometrist anything about shooting, sights, or anything like that. So it is certainly quite possible for you to have lenses made that will help you out.

But if it makes you feel better, you might mention to her(?) that you need your glasses to correct when looking through them when also looking "upward and inward", as is the case when you're using the sights on a long gun. For example, looking up at "10 o'clock" with right eye if shooting right-handed, and looking up at "2 o'clock" with left eye if shooting left-handed.

The option of using a prism scope instead of a red dot was mentioned above. It's commonly recommended for 'astigmatated' shooters. Vortex, Primary Arms, and a couple others make affordable prism scopes. The best and by far most expensive example I know of is the Trijicon ACOG. Prism scopes have advantages and disadvantages over red dots. If you want, do a little reading up.
Old 09-20-2017, 8:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
But if it makes you feel better, you might mention to her(?) that you need your glasses to correct when looking through them when also looking "upward and inward", as is the case when you're using the sights on a long gun. For example, looking up at "10 o'clock" with right eye if shooting right-handed, and looking up at "2 o'clock" with left eye if shooting left-handed.
This^

The only problem with prescription lenses I've found is most don't carry the prescription far enough into the upper left corner of the right lens (I'm a righty) where a rifle shooter looks through.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 09-20-2017, 9:02 AM

Luckily enough my polarized prescription sunglasses seem to correct the dot for me, but I haven't used many red dot sights.

I want to get an MRO but I haven't decided if I'm ok having something that only works with my sunglasses

Last edited by Montu; 09-20-2017 at 9:05 AM..
Old 09-22-2017, 7:16 AM

Quote:

The option of using a prism scope instead of a red dot was mentioned above. It's commonly recommended for 'astigmatated' shooters. Vortex, Primary Arms, and a couple others make affordable prism scopes. The best and by far most expensive example I know of is the Trijicon ACOG. Prism scopes have advantages and disadvantages over red dots. If you want, do a little reading up.
Prism scopes work out great with an astigmatism. For me, the Aimpoint dot looks a bit like an arrow. I get a nice sharp dot with my Vortex spitfire. Anything with an etched reticle tends to work out. My AR has an Elcan Specter and no issues with the dot, whether its lit or not.
Old 09-22-2017, 9:54 AM
Veteran Member

Wanted so much to continue with (Eotech) red dots, but my astigmatism wouldn't allow it. Mentioned it to my optometrist and she tried to correct it, but still unusable red dot flares. Probably could go to a better optometrist, lol, but not worth it in the long run as it never bothers me except for with a red dot scope.

Went Vortex Spitfire 1x and all is good on two rifles.....nice clear reticle
Old 09-22-2017, 7:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trriemferent View Post

edit: one way you can tell that you have a astigmatism is by putting your cell phone camera against the scope. When you look at the red dot through the phone camera, the flare will be gone and you will see the perfect circle.
I did that to check if it was my eyes or my red dot that was bad. It was my eye. Damn astigmatism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
You're weird. But that's ok because you're far away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalker View Post
Hispanic my left asscheek, that boy is cracked out on jihad
Old 09-26-2017, 7:06 AM

I have astigmatism bad. I shoot handguns with no problems using iron sights with fiber optic fronts and regular old cheap yellow tinted protective safety glasses (the kind you find in any sporting goods dept).

When it comes to my rifles i have to use my prescription glasses when i shoot using the Primary Arms red dots or the Aimpoints otherwise even on the lowest brightness setting they are a line and not a dot but with prescription glasses they are a nice, fairly sharp dot. With the Vortex Spitfire etched 1x i can use those cheap safety glasses again.

Just something those of us with astigmatism have to deal with.

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Old 09-26-2017, 8:13 AM

http://www.hansenseagleeye.info/contact-us.html

Talk to richard. He makes shooting specfic prescription shooting glasses
Old 10-17-2017, 9:21 PM

Tagged