Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:51 AM

Default Need your opinion: mental health and firearm ownership

Hello fellow calgunners, I am currently exploring a research topic for a school project and I could use some opinions and insights. My research question is if firearm ownership/access can create an obstacle for military service members and veterans to benefit from mental healthcare, particularly suicide prevention and PTSD-related interventions.

So basically it comes down to this: Let's say you are feeling down, how likely are you to go seek mental healthcare, knowing that there is a chance you might have to give up your firearm(s)? And if you are seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist (whether you went voluntarily or were forced to do so) for whatever reason, how likely are you to disclose the information about your firearm ownership or access to any other weapons?

I'd love to hear your stories too if you have experience in this matter.

Thank you for your service and your time
Old 09-17-2017, 11:09 AM

You picked a tough one. as a school project, it will be extremely difficult to find data to support any position one way or another. Do you plan on collecting your own data? As in actually asking people if the did or did not report firearms, or if they did or did not seek treatment? And as a double edged sword, it would be difficult to demonstrate that any data you could collect was valid. You're asking people to be honest about whether or not they lied. If this is an undergrad project, you might have an easier time looking into just the aspect about seeking mental health treatment as a generality, because of the stigma. There is research there. You'd have to stretch to try to make a correlation to firearms.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
You picked a tough one. as a school project, it will be extremely difficult to find data to support any position one way or another. Do you plan on collecting your own data? As in actually asking people if the did or did not report firearms, or if they did or did not seek treatment? And as a double edged sword, it would be difficult to demonstrate that any data you could collect was valid. You're asking people to be honest about whether or not they lied. If this is an undergrad project, you might have an easier time looking into just the aspect about seeking mental health treatment as a generality, because of the stigma. There is research there. You'd have to stretch to try to make a correlation to firearms.
You are absolutely right, and that's why I'm only exploring this as a possible topic for now. I'm thinking using qualitative approach to get themes to illuminate the problem. I know this is gonna be a pain in the butt for all the political BS and professional biases involved. But this is a very big problem for our service members and vets and I think it's gonna blow up in our faces eventually. I figure the least I can do is to point out there is an elephant in the room.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:48 PM
🇺🇸 Trust Me, I'm Gov't
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code 798

NPR has reported on this several times. Might be worth your research:
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-s...uicides-a-risk

In short, a vet discusses how to broach the topic with gun-owning vets.

-------
Old 09-17-2017, 12:51 PM

The healthcare is crap, VA care is not enough.
Old 09-17-2017, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpan View Post
The healthcare is crap, VA care is not enough.
Care to elaborate more?
Old 09-20-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermcoupe View Post
NPR has reported on this several times. Might be worth your research:
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-s...uicides-a-risk

In short, a vet discusses how to broach the topic with gun-owning vets.
It goes even further than "gun ownership". How about losing one's security clearance, and being discharged from the military.

The military simply wants to help servicemen get the help they need to get discharged (so whatever they do next is OFF THE BOOKS).
Old 09-21-2017, 12:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDS View Post
Care to elaborate more?
I will, I was in the army for 6 years, didn't get wounded, VA said I make to much money so they wont even look at me. From where I am sitting, the VA sucks.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Old 09-21-2017, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
It goes even further than "gun ownership". How about losing one's security clearance, and being discharged from the military.

The military simply wants to help servicemen get the help they need to get discharged (so whatever they do next is OFF THE BOOKS).
Great point.
Old 09-28-2017, 9:56 AM

John Thomas,
I'm a vet and have worked for the VA as an employee. One of my biggest complaints was the difficulty for vets to gain access to benefits and to be "rated"
I'm not sure when you talked to someone but would recommend you try again. Things have changed. If you strike out again, pm me.

KCDS,
You are taking on a challenging topic, it is very pertinent when looking at an increase in documented ptsd, suicide, and assault. Many vets may be apprehensive to disclose personal experience without being clear of your intensions. There are a lot of vets young and old who have given their best and now suffer silently.

In today's world, I wonder what is ever truly confidential. But being both a responsible gun owner and seeking help to put to rest your demons as an honorable warrior should be looked at. Those who have served should be served and respected when they return home.
Old 09-28-2017, 1:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondwind View Post
John Thomas,
I'm a vet and have worked for the VA as an employee. One of my biggest complaints was the difficulty for vets to gain access to benefits and to be "rated"
I'm not sure when you talked to someone but would recommend you try again. Things have changed. If you strike out again, pm me.

KCDS,
You are taking on a challenging topic, it is very pertinent when looking at an increase in documented ptsd, suicide, and assault. Many vets may be apprehensive to disclose personal experience without being clear of your intensions. There are a lot of vets young and old who have given their best and now suffer silently.

In today's world, I wonder what is ever truly confidential. But being both a responsible gun owner and seeking help to put to rest your demons as an honorable warrior should be looked at. Those who have served should be served and respected when they return home.
Thank you Secondwind. I will do that.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Old 09-30-2017, 7:48 PM

Hi Secondwind, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-01-2017, 8:41 AM

KCDS,

As a psychologist, I'd be happy to talk with you re: my experiences. I don't work that often with military personnel, but do work with PTSD.

If it helps, I was also a professor for a decade if that helps as well in re: to setting up your project: among the courses I taught were statistics and research methodology, so I might be able to with the design of the study.

Feel free to PM me.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychophd View Post
KCDS,

As a psychologist, I'd be happy to talk with you re: my experiences. I don't work that often with military personnel, but do work with PTSD.

If it helps, I was also a professor for a decade if that helps as well in re: to setting up your project: among the courses I taught were statistics and research methodology, so I might be able to with the design of the study.

Feel free to PM me.
Thanks for your offer!! I might do that later