Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Rem. 870 factory stock or Blackhawk Specops?

Hello again!

Recently started making some upgrades to my Remington 870 Tactical and am deciding on stocks now. So far I have added a Surefire forend and a GG&G side saddle. The gun is just a home defense gun that sits next to the safe in the closed (no kids or anything). I am more partial to the factory traditional stock just because it's what I've always known, but I see a lot of people like the Blackhawk SpecOps stock.

Any opinions out there as to which and why?

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

I have the factory buttstock, Hogue 12" LOP buttstock, Specops (Gen I) recoil reduction stock, Specops (Gen I) NRS non-recoil reduction stock, Specops (Gen II) recoil reduction stock, ... and others.

There is nothing wrong using the factory buttstock, consider if it fits and the LOP is right for us. In fact, I like it as lightweight and KISS. (The LOP of the OEM buttstock is a little too long for me, hence I use the Hogue 12" LOP buttstock and it works wonderfully for me.)

The Specops recoil reduction stock works well for me as well. Some folks have experienced some cheek slap when using it, I experienced a little as well when I first started using this stock. However, after some posture and shouldering corrections from an instructor, no more cheek slap and it worked very well for me. If I have to shoot 3" 00 buckshots all day, I definitely will bring one of my 870's that has the Specops recoil reduction stock with me.

The Specops (Gen II) recoil reduction stock is a nice improvement over the Gen I. More sleek, with built-in quick-release swivel sling mount on the stock, better grip ergonomics, more LOP adjustment steps, and built-in recoil reduction pad to further reduce the recoil. I like it, but the only problem is that (I heard) currently it is under factory production halt, hence it might be difficult to find one for sale.

If one likes the adjustable LOP but don't like the recoil reduction, Specops also has a NRS version which has all the goodies minus the recoil reduction function. It is one of my favorites because I like the adjustable LOP and the KISS of without the recoil reduction complexity. I added a recoil reduction pad on my NRS, and I can shoot 80-100 2-3/4" 00 buckshots with minimum pain and bruises on my shoulder.

Afterall, it is all about fit and perferences. If possible, try out all of them (try your buddies' or range-friends' if they have the setup) and see which works best for you.

Regards,

Last edited by axhoaxho; 08-03-2013 at 9:53 PM..
Old 08-03-2013, 12:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for all the great information on those stocks! I definitely like the KISS thing and like how the factory stock is everything you need and nothing you don't.

I definitely would prefer the NRS if I switched stocks at all. I'm not used to shooting a shotgun with a pistol grip, so I guess I'll take your advice and wait to shoot some friends' shotguns.
Old 08-03-2013, 2:28 PM
Veteran Member

I had the Blackhawk spec ops II recoil reducing pistol grip stock. I actually didn't like the pistol grip (just plastic) and got some cheek slap if you dont hold it consistently. I ended up selling it. Check the Mesa Tactical LEO recoil reducing pistol grip stock.
Old 08-03-2013, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axhoaxho View Post
Hogue 12" LOP buttstock...
I have this, along with the Hogue forend, on mine for HD and really like it. It has a natural fit for me and swings easily. Taking it out for the weekend for practice feels real nice as well.
Old 08-03-2013, 4:54 PM
Veteran Member

Had one on my 870 for yearsbut have since gone back to the original wood stock. In fact I just sold my specops gen 1 the other day. I feel that I am much faster and more accurate with the original stock on.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:02 PM

Stick with the factory stock; I had the Spec Ops stock and got a lot of check slap from it, even with the cheek piece.

I have since changed my stock to the magpul SGA. Looks weird but feels great.

Old 08-04-2013, 6:09 AM
Veteran Member

Magpul, stock for sure, the ergonomics are far better than anything else out there. I still like the Hogue forend though

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA, GSSF, Richmond Rod & Gun, Sunnyvale Rod & Gun

Old 08-04-2013, 11:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Factory over all that aftermarket crap!
Old 08-05-2013, 8:31 PM

Smile

Only if you like spending money on bling! OK, that's definitely an over generalization. Sure some aftermarket stocks have some advantages over the stock configuration, but what people are spending on these products has me baffled. The benefits just do not justify the costs in my opinion. Most of these products do not change the fundamental ergonomics of how the gun functions. Spend the money shooting and enjoying your gun. Shooting is like any other physical activity that includes eye hand corrordination, like hitting a baseball, hitting a golf ball. It takes practice to be proficient. Just make sure that the equipment reasonably fits you correctly. Make sure the factory stock fits you as far as length of pull, that's all you need, maybe drop at comb if you are wing shooting. Fancy equipment will not overcome the lack of experience and skill through practice. My old school two cents from a guy who grew up when none of this stuff was available. I don't understand tattoos either.
Old 08-05-2013, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USM0083 View Post
Stick with the factory stock; I had the Spec Ops stock and got a lot of check slap from it, even with the cheek piece.

I have since changed my stock to the magpul SGA. Looks weird but feels great.

Nice looking canoe ore.
Old 08-05-2013, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arson View Post
Nice looking canoe ore.
Thanks! Looks funky but handles really well. It's lighter than it looks. The medium cheek riser gives me a perfect cheekweld for the Primary Arms mini dot/Mesa Tactical rail.

I can even store two shells in the (hollow) riser.

The buttpad is nice and thick and does a great job on taming full power rounds. Reduced recoil rounds like Federal LE13300 feels like shooting light bird shot.
Old 08-05-2013, 9:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USM0083 View Post
Thanks! Looks funky but handles really well. It's lighter than it looks. The medium cheek riser gives me a perfect cheekweld for the Primary Arms mini dot/Mesa Tactical rail.

I can even store two shells in the (hollow) riser.

The buttpad is nice and thick and does a great job on taming full power rounds. Reduced recoil rounds like Federal LE13300 feels like shooting light bird shot.

.Both are the same shell loaded with different size pellets
Old 08-05-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefeeder View Post
.Both are the same shell loaded with different size pellets
Except that one makes the FBI minimum penetration, and shoots a 8-10" patterns at 25 yards out my 18.5" IC barrel.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Default ><

Same recoil that's why they feel the same
Old 08-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Calguns Addict

I currently have three older 870s---all are set-up for defensive purposes, but can easily be ready for trap, skeet or hunting with a few part swaps (I haven't hunted in years). One has an early Knoxx recoil reducing butt-stock (non-tactical style), the others are fine with the factory wood stocks (the woodstocks are fitted with "mercury recoil reducers" and have new tech recoil pads)---all my shotguns are loaded with reduced-recoil OO buck shells. I feel well armed enough without all the tactical mods. But that's just me---feel free to go your own way...
Old 08-05-2013, 11:12 PM

Default Blackhawk CompStock

I replaced the factory stock on my Mossberg 500 with a Blackhawk CompStock (http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Com...k,1155,165.htm), which does not include the hand grip. It would satisfy your desire for a straight stock. The recoil reduction is noticeable when shooting 00 buck and slugs, but not so much with birdshot target rounds. A class I attended, trained us to load from the up (ready) position with sights on target. Although I didn't try it with a "tactical" hand grip, it seems like it would be easier to keep the shotgun in the up position using a hand grip while reloading. But for bedroom defense I don't think it will matter too much whether you keep the factory stock or change to another.
Old 08-06-2013, 4:52 AM
Veteran Member

I agree with the Hogue forend posts. I find that forend to be very grippy. I personally run an ATI shoulder + pistol grip stock. I find it easier to manipulate during reloads. I wouldn't really spend a ton of cash on the fad of the week as far as stocks go but if ya got money to burn it's you call. Mine is strictly for defense though so /shrug.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/maverick...rip-stock.html

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 08-06-2013, 5:57 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I have one 870 with a Knoxx recoil reducing stock and another with the stock black 870 plastic stock. The RR stock helps with stout loads. With birdshot or low recoil buck it doesn't matter too much. I like the stock rifle stock over the pistol grip.

The only two "accessories" a fighting shotgun needs are a good side saddle (Mesa Tactical...no ATI junk) and a good light. It is hard for me not to ridicule all the 12 pound shotguns that people post pictures of that have every doodad and look like they have never been shot. I wonder sometimes if people actually shoot their guns and train with them, or just cart them out of the safe for photo shoots.

Acquiring a good skill set in manipulating a shotgun and firing it quickly and accurately is vastly more important than putting color coordinated matching accessories on it and admiring it on your coffee table.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:43 AM

I've tried the Blackhawk Knoxx Recoil Reducer pistol grip stock and did not like it at all. The cheek slap is extremely annoying. Yes, you can re-adjust your hold but in a high stress situation I doubt that is something I will think about doing.

I also used the Hogue 12 inch LOP. It's a nice stock but my right thumb would hit my nose during recoil sometimes because it's so close. You can solve the issue by placing your thumb on top of the stock instead of wrapping around it. Once again this is something that will most likely be forgotten during a high stress situation.

The stock I am most pleased with is the Speedfeed 13 inch pistol grip stock. It is short enough to get a squared off stance with but no cheek slap or nose bump. It may not be adjustable but then it feels strong enough to be used as a club if the need arises.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:53 AM

I think the five most important elements of a shotgun stock are:
1. Fit
2. Fit
3. Fit
4. Reliability/ruggedness
5. Well, there is nothing else of importance. That's the fifth element, nothing else matters.

Factory stocks fit some people well, and everybody else with some degree of error. Adjustable stocks tend to be heavier than they have to be because of the adjustment mechanism, and possibly a hair less rugged than a comparable non-adjustable stock.

I think the Magpul SGA stock and MOE fore end are the best solution for me at this time. The SGA can be adjusted for length of pull with spacers, and for drop at comb with the replacement risers. Both adjustments are very sturdy, and provide enough adjustment for almost anybody to get the right fit, essential for maximized shooting.

The pistol grip works extremely well for me, maybe not for the next guy. The thick recoil pad is one of my best friends. The fore end can be easily modified with rails wherever you need them. This package is a winner, for me anyway.

I can't imagine they won't introduce a butt stock shell carrier soon. A polymer plate with hard shell holders, a curved panel on the back that will hook under the sling attachment, and a screw that secures the whole thing through that hole just in front of the sling attachment. Simple, secure, cheap. Add a light and ammo and rest easy.
Old 08-06-2013, 1:40 PM
Calguns Addict

I had the Spec Ops, but didn't like the cheek weld. Wife didn't find it comfortable either. The recoil didn't seem quite as reduced as many people claim. Sort of felt like it was twisting. Switched to a wooden stock and a couple recoil pads and am much happier for now. Hope this helps any...

WTB used AK MFER.