Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 11-22-2017, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Woot! Compared to the Spring match in April, I guess I have progressed in my development.

But dang that Competition division - in spite of a way faster time since April, it is difficult to move up the ranks.
Remember that you are not the only one "progressing" in their skill set throughout the year...
Old 11-22-2017, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
Nice shooting Alfred!

I think it all depends on what you are comfortable with. Some people like to start fast and slow down while others like starting slow and speeding up. I generally shoot near to far in this array. I just tend a panic I'm taking too long on the far targets and shoot too fast! LOL! Your M and plate runs looked really good. Just keep after it!

Scott
Understood... The way I see there are PROs and CONs to either approach. Maybe I'll just setup some dry fire and see where I'm comfortable with.

Thank you Scott! Will definitely do keep at it! With all that is said and done, I'm quite satisfied with my results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
Remember that you are not the only one "progressing" in their skill set throughout the year...
Hahaha!!! You are indeed right!

_
Old 11-22-2017, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Understood... The way I see there are PROs and CONs to either approach. Maybe I'll just setup some dry fire and see where I'm comfortable with.

Thank you Scott! Will definitely do keep at it! With all that is said and done, I'm quite satisfied with my results.
I think the tendency of most shooters is to subconsciously speed up as they progress thru a stage. That probably makes taking your long, deliberate and focused shots in the beginning of the stage a better option for most shooters; you can focus on accuracy and thoughts "elapsed time" isn't messing with you in the back of your mind. Additionally, many shooters when shooting a stage establish a "cadence or pace"... using the close targets to establish that pace is not a good idea when you have 25 yrd shots requiring a little time and focus.

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 11-22-2017 at 2:10 PM..
Old 11-22-2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Correct. Although after seeing Steve shoot........

Scott

Downright dangerous I swear.
Old 11-22-2017, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
First day was awesome, what a great treat to have the Young Marines there helping us out.
Agreed! The Young Marines were a big help.
Old 11-22-2017, 5:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Quote:
I think the tendency of most shooters is to subconsciously speed up as they progress thru a stage. That probably makes taking your long, deliberate and focused shots in the beginning of the stage a better option for most shooters; you can focus on accuracy and thoughts "elapsed time" isn't messing with you in the back of your mind. Additionally, many shooters when shooting a stage establish a "cadence or pace"... using the close targets to establish that pace is not a good idea when you have 25 yrd shots requiring a little time and focus.
I agree most of us do get faster splits as we shoot a stage. Personally I'm in the "take long shots first" group because I want to be slower and more deliberate with those shots (it didn't work out that way on 5 to Glock with my 17, but I got a personal best with the 19 and only 1 mike!)

And here is one observation from the RO perspective: Right handed shooters overwhelmingly chose left to right movements when shooting multiple targets, lefties were opposite that tendency. <-- what's new?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 11-24-2017, 5:16 PM

Howdy, folks, I was curious as to how the daily gifts work for volunteers. Do we just receive mags (if we chose mags) in the mail or Glock vouchers like for the guns? I will be DROSing a 17 RTF soon specifically to start using for competitions like GSSF and could use the extra mags.
Old 11-24-2017, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitruc View Post
Howdy, folks, I was curious as to how the daily gifts work for volunteers. Do we just receive mags (if we chose mags) in the mail or Glock vouchers like for the guns? I will be DROSing a 17 RTF soon specifically to start using for competitions like GSSF and could use the extra mags.

They'll ship the gifts right to you, usually within a few weeks.
Old 11-24-2017, 5:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Quote:
They'll ship the gifts right to you, usually within a few weeks.
Last April I received my thank you gifts about 7 days after the match, they're usually very quick to get those out to us. Although, I'm sure with GSSF running two huge matches the same weekend before Thanksgiving, we may experience additional wait times!

Either way, Glock is very good to us!

I just hope they bring more magazines next time!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 11-25-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Either way, Glock is very good to us!

I just hope they bring more magazines next time!

I agree.

I also agree and was really hoping for some G43 mags, but someone scored on that bag of G42 mags.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Side topic ... what kinds of go pro mounts are competitors allowed to wear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Marketplace:

None
Old 11-25-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tencreations_ar888 View Post

Anything that does not impede safety, although it would be polite to ask the RO's if they mind being filmed.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Anything that does not impede safety, although it would be polite to ask the RO's if they mind being filmed.

Thanks Iíll keep that in mind for Spring. I considered a head or over the shoulder mounts. Mainly Interested in learning from my footage.

Marketplace:

None
Old 11-28-2017, 10:09 AM

I also want to thank Chad and Jacob for their efforts at putting this shoot together again! Volunteering to work the matches is a tiring commitment but I look forward to each match. I didnít get to shoot the prior match at all, and only shot 2 of the 3 this time, but that was my call to not leave my lane short handed.
Considering the volume of shooters, having only a couple of complaints is a nice endorsement! I only had one WTF moment at the plates with a 4+ gun shooter taking forever, and his buddies called for a cold range to paint the plates for him. I was running the timer, so I didnít know non ROís called for the halt. Fortunately, Milan overruled those dudes and kept the plates going!
Old 11-28-2017, 4:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I wore a GoPro Hero 5 Session on a hat clip all day, got some great footage!
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 11-28-2017, 8:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht;
I wore a GoPro Hero 5 Session on a hat clip all day, got some great footage!

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing more footage when you get around to it

Marketplace:

None
Old 12-05-2017, 7:29 PM
CGSSA Director, LA Chapter Leader, Captain: Calguns.net Shooting Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

There was a really great photographer that came out to the match and snapped some really good picture (99 of them in fact).

You can take a look here, and maybe you'll even find one of yourself. If you have some that you're willing to share, please upload them as well.
Old 12-05-2017, 8:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
There was a really great photographer that came out to the match and snapped some really good picture (99 of them in fact).

You can take a look here, and maybe you'll even find one of yourself. If you have some that you're willing to share, please upload them as well.
Chad:

I have many very large (average 3.7GB) GoPro videos, should I upload into a folder on that google drive?
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 12-06-2017, 1:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Have any of the R.O. volunteers received their thank you gifts from Glock/GSSF yet? <-- I have not!

I know they normally have them in the mail within a week, but the holidays got in the way I bet!
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 12-06-2017, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Chad:

I have many very large (average 3.7GB) GoPro videos, should I upload into a folder on that google drive?
Quote:
Have any of the R.O. volunteers received their thank you gifts from Glock/GSSF yet? <-- I have not!

I know they normally have them in the mail within a week, but the holidays got in the way I bet!
Yes, and Yes.

I received my RO goodies either earlier this week, or late last week. If you haven't received them by the end of the week, email GSSF@glock.us and they'll be able to get you straightened out.
Old 12-06-2017, 6:12 PM

Quote:

Not here yet.

two very large matches on the same weekend, I'm sure they're busy, I'm in no rush.
Old 12-06-2017, 7:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Not here yet.

two very large matches on the same weekend, I'm sure they're busy, I'm in no rush.
I know they were busy and the week after was Thanksgiving, so I'll give it until Friday and get in touch with them!
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 12-06-2017, 7:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
Yes, and Yes.

I received my RO goodies either earlier this week, or late last week. If you haven't received them by the end of the week, email GSSF@glock.us and they'll be able to get you straightened out.
18.6 GB of raw GoPro footage uploading now!

And I will follow your advice with respect to contacting GSSF.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 12-07-2017, 12:01 AM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

Got my mags on Monday so I am sure your guys stuff will be there soon.
Old 12-14-2017, 4:45 PM

Final scores are posted. Random gun and $50 for me! Even as a loser you can be a winner!

http://www.gssfonline.com/results/2017/2017bca.pdf

Scott
Old 12-14-2017, 4:48 PM

I WON $50!!!
Old 12-14-2017, 6:43 PM

I won $75. Could have been $150 if I had registered correctly as a Senior... Is it cash or glock product?
Old 12-14-2017, 7:26 PM

Quote:
I won $75. Could have been $150 if I had registered correctly as a Senior... Is it cash or glock product?
Itís cash money. Youíll get a check in the next week or so.
Old 12-14-2017, 7:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

About 4 months to practice to shave off seconds and best my own time. See you folks in April. Congrats to all.

Marketplace:

None
Old 12-14-2017, 8:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

The head or hat mounts seem to work best for GoPros. Partly due to the head and necks natural shock absorbing capabilities and also the camera will always go to what YOU are looking at! My video linked above was using the hat mount.

If you have a newer model GoPro with stabilization built in, you can also try a chest mount for a slightly different view than the head/hat mounts.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 12-14-2017, 8:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Final scores are posted. Random gun and $50 for me! Even as a loser you can be a winner!

http://www.gssfonline.com/results/2017/2017bca.pdf

Scott
LOL...

I won... nothing and nothing!

Oh well, there's always April!

Or, I might go to the new 1st inaugural GSSF match outside St. George, Utah in Littlefield, AZ January 27-28th! Let the wife go have a Spa day, while I throw some lead downrange! ... and go hit Zion for a day of hiking!!!

Anyone else here considering this one???
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 12-14-2017, 10:49 PM

Hahaha!!! My 3rd GSSF - and still nothing... *huhuhuhu*

Well, but at least I have improved in my times/placing in both Amateur and Competition division. Woot...!!!

Looking forward to April.

Quote:
I WON $50!!!
Congratulations!!!

And yes, CONGRATULATIONS to ALL...!!!

_

Last edited by rodralig; 12-14-2017 at 10:53 PM..
Old 12-14-2017, 11:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht;
The head or hat mounts seem to work best for GoPros. Partly due to the head and necks natural shock absorbing capabilities and also the camera will always go to what YOU are looking at! My video linked above was using the hat mount.

If you have a newer model GoPro with stabilization built in, you can also try a chest mount for a slightly different view than the head/hat mounts.

Iíll see if I can try this out in April. Thanks

Marketplace:

None
Old 12-14-2017, 11:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default GSSF and CGSSA Presents: GLOCK West Coast Challenge II - Fall

Trying to learn about the placements. So for the divisions that have Amateur and Master, are the placements awarded distinctly for each class?

I noticed that there are * notations next to names with its own placement awarded then a different placement award starting with the stack rank of non * marked names.

Is * a denotation for Master?

How many times would you have to place in a competition to make Master?

Marketplace:

None
Old 12-15-2017, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Trying to learn about the placements. So for the divisions that have Amateur and Master, are the placements awarded distinctly for each class?

I noticed that there are * notations next to names with its own placement awarded then a different placement award starting with the stack rank of non * marked names.

Is * a denotation for Master?

How many times would you have to place in a competition to make Master?
You've actually figured out more than most.

Yes, the "*" next to a competitors name means they're a Master. While in some cases Amatuers and Masters shoot the same division they're scored as separate classes, and prizes are allocated differently for each based on the number of competitors in a given class. The allocation is quite complicated, so if you want to know check the rules edition of The GLOCK Report.

To go from Amatuer to Master, you need to have won a total 3 performance guns in any division.
Old 12-15-2017, 8:19 AM

Quote:
LOL...

I won... nothing and nothing!

Oh well, there's always April!

Or, I might go to the new 1st inaugural GSSF match outside St. George, Utah in Littlefield, AZ January 27-28th! Let the wife go have a Spa day, while I throw some lead downrange! ... and go hit Zion for a day of hiking!!!

Anyone else here considering this one???
Come on up! It will be fun they say? LOL! It's a big drive for me too, about an hour. What is going to kinda suck is we have our first IDPA match at the new club that Sunday which will put a crimp in my volunteering.