Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 12-30-2017, 3:32 AM

Default ProtonMail.com Are you using it yet?

Anyone else use proton mail? I have been using it for a while now, love it. I was on a waiting list to get an account when it first popped up. Just wanted to pass it along to anyone that maybe never heard of it.

It is a free email service though they do have some pay tiers, it is not needed.

It is a clutter-free and Private email service.

Your mail is secure and even encrypted.

There is even an options like setting passwords for your emails so let's say I send you an email through my proton mail account to your email account even if yours is not proton mail. I can set a password for the email so when you click on it you have to input the password before you can open and read the email thus keeping the email private even if someone gets into your email account. You could have set passwords for your wife, coworker etc and then just put that password into the email when you send it to that person.

You can set a time limit on your email from one hour and up. so I could send you an email and put a 1 hr or 1 day time limit on it. After that time, whether the email has been read or not it will be automatically deleted so it does not get left sitting around. Works and looks great on desktop and mobile.

I am not associated with Proton mail or get anything for promoting it. I just found it to be a great email service and thought I would pass it on.

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."
Old 12-30-2017, 7:49 AM

Changing e-mail providers is a pain. Then there is how long has this service been around and how long will it be around.
Old 12-30-2017, 7:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I never understand why people would not want to use their ISP provided service for their main mail. Not only is it more secure but less prone to hacking and junk mail. I only use a web based solution for the times I don't want to give out my ISP email account.
Old 12-30-2017, 8:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinwoodland View Post
I never understand why people would not want to use their ISP provided service for their main mail. Not only is it more secure but less prone to hacking and junk mail. I only use a web based solution for the times I don't want to give out my ISP email account.
i dont think you know how junk mails work... any email is prone to junk mail.

Plus, you are linked to that email. What if you decide to switch providers? Not many ISP will allow you to keep your email.

Personally, I will never understand why people use ISP email over companies that specializes in email service... Just like how people pick the 1911 over other modern day handgun.

Quote:
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country."
- Dianne Feinstein

Last edited by Nguyen; 12-30-2017 at 8:17 AM..
Old 12-30-2017, 8:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I originally did but would move too often to different service provider areas. So just adopted the free Microsoft account... Also kept my California 951 area code on my cell when I moved to Utah.... Too difficult to change
Old 12-30-2017, 8:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nguyen View Post
i dont think you know how junk mails work... any email is prone to junk mail.

Plus, you are linked to that email. What if you decide to switch providers? Not many ISP will allow you to keep your email.

Personally, I will never understand why people use ISP email over companies that specializes in email service... Just like how people pick the 1911 over other modern day handgun.
Absolutely not true. That is why I use a disposable email address to avoid junk as well if your ISP is any one other then ATT or AOL they have very strict filters in place that catch IP based related companies and others that have a history of spamming. As well my email address is from my OLD provider and yes you can keep it for a very small monthly fee.

My ISP has a grey mail feature that captures pretty much everything and will ask if I want any of it forwarded to my inbox. Get a real ISP and you can too.

Having worked in the tech industry for over twenty years I think I understand what i posted but thanks for your opinion.
Old 12-30-2017, 8:29 AM

Unlike with services like Yahoo. your Protonmail is encrypted and not even visible on the server, the people at Proton can not even access your email if you choose encryption with a passkey that only you and your intended recipient has. Check out there other unique security features. Location of the servers, the hardware they use and even being based in Switzerland outside US and EU jurisdiction etc. Seems they have a pretty good team building it, not your typical start-up nerds.

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."

Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 12-30-2017 at 8:34 AM..
Old 12-30-2017, 9:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Absolutely not true. That is why I use a disposable email address to avoid junk as well if your ISP is any one other then ATT or AOL they have very strict filters in place that catch IP based related companies and others that have a history of spamming. As well my email address is from my OLD provider and yes you can keep it for a very small monthly fee.

My ISP has a grey mail feature that captures pretty much everything and will ask if I want any of it forwarded to my inbox. Get a real ISP and you can too.

Having worked in the tech industry for over twenty years I think I understand what i posted but thanks for your opinion.

Yeah you don’t know. Thanks for playing.

Quote:
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country."
- Dianne Feinstein
Old 12-30-2017, 10:21 AM
Calguns Addict

I use Proton for some things.

Interesting tools here also:
Tutanota - e-mail - free
Telegram for pm's - free and does a whole lot for you.

One of my friends raves about Lavabit, but it costs $30/yr depending & iirc + mb sizes are tiered. Pay more get more etc..
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 12-30-2017, 11:15 AM

I use it now and then. I like it, the recipient does need to know the password to open the e-mail.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
because I used to run ISP based email and I know how unsecure it is. I use gmail for unimportant emails like account signups etc, but I run my own mail server for stuff I consider very important
Old 12-30-2017, 6:40 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I prefer to stick to trusted providers like Gmail and Hotmail. At least I know they aren't secretly mining all of my personal information or tracking my web usage.
Old 12-30-2017, 8:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I prefer to stick to trusted providers like Gmail and Hotmail. At least I know they aren't secretly mining all of my personal information or tracking my web usage.

of course they are
Old 12-30-2017, 9:06 PM
Veteran Member

It's just like stealing a car; if someone wants it badly enough, they'll get it.

Nothing is 100% secure online.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.
Old 12-30-2017, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Google is about the worst data miner out there, short of the NSA.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:52 PM

i am using lavabit email service.
Old 01-03-2018, 1:32 PM

I use protonmail on occasion but primarily google apps and have various addresses being checked by my one inbox there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-03-2018, 1:56 PM

I've seen it around, some people who may or may not be my customers use it. All those perks sound good but I've heard it all before. Cryptomail and hushmail all advertised the same thing, in the end they bent over for the government and it turned out those emails weren't so private after all. Once bitten, twice shy.

Best advice I can offer is assume somebody not in your best interest can read them if they really wanted to. Since it's free and they aren't selling a product, you can also reasonably assume YOU are the product.
Old 01-03-2018, 5:35 PM

I am using it. I have had account with them for some time. I closed my safe-mail, email account
Old 01-03-2018, 9:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nguyen View Post
Just like how people pick the 1911 over other modern day handgun.
Because we're smarter than you?
Old 01-06-2018, 9:11 PM

Quote:

What? This info goes against everything was discovered in the last 20 years:-)
Old 01-06-2018, 9:35 PM

Just wait until they get a NSL and we'll find out how secure it is. Anyone that believes their mail is secure on someone else's server is deluding themselves.

The 4th and 5th amendments only apply to your online communications if the server is inside your personal property. Not so much at a provider. The former Secretary of State knew this all too well.

Learn how to run your own mail server, it's not that hard. There's probably even a Linux VM specifically tailored to do it: https://www.ciphermail.com/downloads...appliance.html
Old 01-06-2018, 10:18 PM

Default ProtonMail.com Are you using it yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
Just wait until they get a NSL and we'll find out how secure it is. Anyone that believes their mail is secure on someone else's server is deluding themselves.

The 4th and 5th amendments only apply to your online communications if the server is inside your personal property. Not so much at a provider. The former Secretary of State knew this all too well.

Learn how to run your own mail server, it's not that hard. There's probably even a Linux VM specifically tailored to do it: https://www.ciphermail.com/downloads...appliance.html

I’ll have to check this out. That being said I’ve been using protonmail for a while. No complaints. Supposed to be encrypted with a password of my choosing.

Better than yahoo mail...

Last edited by area51; 01-06-2018 at 10:21 PM..
Old 01-06-2018, 10:35 PM

Clearly the bombshell news this week of major CPU flaws went unnoticed. Those flaws specifically would allow a TLA to install a recovery VM adjacent to one of the instances where a target server VM is running, on the same host, and steal encryption keys, live.

As a matter of fact, there have been several high-level resignations from the NSA after the defects were found, making me suspect that this flaw was a major source of intel, pun intended.