Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-12-2017, 9:43 AM
Dynamic Dynamic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 770
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default Martini Henry MKIV .577-450

I finally picked up a Martini Henry, been looking for one of these for a while now. Very happy with the purchase has the right amount of patina / wear but not one of the bottom of the barrel Nepalese. Ive been reading on these MKIV and it seems they where all modified from the " new " .402 Enfield back to .577-450 since the .303 British was coming out and no need to have 3 calibers. I do see a NEP marking on the side of the barrel.

The purchase of this rifle also came with the LEE 3 die set for .577-450 , about 20 cases of 24gauge brass shotgun shells to reform and some paper patched bullets , i forget what grain.

Question for you re-loaders. What are you using as far as powder goes ? Sticking with black powders or smokeless substitute ? Any techniques as far as reforming the shotgun shells ?

I dint even realize i would need a 1 1/4 inch press until i saw the size of the dies . Looks like i need a 50BMG press for this. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-12-2017, 9:44 AM
Dynamic Dynamic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 770
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Pics

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-12-2017, 10:58 AM
Spartan301's Avatar
Spartan301 Spartan301 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 983
iTrader: 52 / 100%
Default Congrats!

Very cool, I too have a Mark IV.

I haven't reloaded for mine yet, but I did purchase a S/S chamber adapter on eBay to shoot .45 Long Colt. Works good, lite recoil.

Keep us updated on your reloading, I'd like to do the same for my MH.
__________________
If the government changes the laws so that they contradict the Constitution...............................
Then who are the real criminals?
Spartan301

Last edited by Spartan301; 10-12-2017 at 1:46 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-12-2017, 11:42 AM
saki302's Avatar
saki302 saki302 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6,502
iTrader: 93 / 100%
Default

I reload for mine, using trail boss and filler with a paper wrapped minie ball projectile.

You aren't supposed to use filler with TB, but the case is so huge and the charge relatively light, it makes me feel better anyways.

Using black powder, you're supposed to use a filler too. The case volume is just TOO BIG

Or just use the .45LC adapter. I had good luck using one and loading LC with a .458 projectile.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-12-2017, 1:25 PM
steamerjames steamerjames is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 344
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Do not use smokless, case is Much Too Big to burn. Fired a load of 3031
About 20 years ago, heard pop and bullet Fell out of the muzzle . Found
Out bore is tapered,use .468 bullets for best shooting. pAper patched is
Good too. Only problem-do not shoot off a bench-too much recoil.BP is best.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-13-2017, 11:25 PM
smle-man's Avatar
smle-man smle-man is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Right here
Posts: 7,749
iTrader: 114 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
I finally picked up a Martini Henry, been looking for one of these for a while now. Very happy with the purchase has the right amount of patina / wear but not one of the bottom of the barrel Nepalese. Ive been reading on these MKIV and it seems they where all modified from the " new " .402 Enfield back to .577-450 since the .303 British was coming out and no need to have 3 calibers. I do see a NEP marking on the side of the barrel.

The purchase of this rifle also came with the LEE 3 die set for .577-450 , about 20 cases of 24gauge brass shotgun shells to reform and some paper patched bullets , i forget what grain.

Question for you re-loaders. What are you using as far as powder goes ? Sticking with black powders or smokeless substitute ? Any techniques as far as reforming the shotgun shells ?

I dint even realize i would need a 1 1/4 inch press until i saw the size of the dies . Looks like i need a 50BMG press for this. Thanks in advance.
I use Pyrodex RS and .466 diameter bullets from Western Bullets because they are easily obtained. I had a guy on Gun Boards form my 24 ga cases. He had the forming dies. I bought a Lee Classic press and Lee dies.

When I reload I use 80 gr equivalent volume to FFg powder, a puff of carded wool to hold the powder in place, a grease cookie made of beeswax and olive oil, a disk punched out of a wax paper milk carton, and the bullet. The primer is a large pistol primer for the 24 ga cases.

I have the papa, mama, and baby Martini rifles: A MH MkIV, a Martini Enfield in .303, and a Martini cadet .310
__________________
4th generation citizen soldier - U.S. Army (ret)

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-14-2017, 1:03 AM
Bainter1212's Avatar
Bainter1212 Bainter1212 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,744
iTrader: 64 / 100%
Default

I haven't got around to reloading for mine yet, but the above comments are in line with what I have read.

Contact Martyn at X-Ring Services for a die set that fits your regular press. He can also provide you with brass and a bullet mold that he has custom made for Martinis.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-14-2017, 7:34 AM
Sutcliffe Sutcliffe is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Campbell, CA
Posts: 6,057
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Certainly ainít pretty

But, the history alone is worth the effort.
Congratulations.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-14-2017, 8:00 AM
Revhendo's Avatar
Revhendo Revhendo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Costa Mesa
Posts: 326
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

That's a beautiful rifle.

I couldn't help thinking SMLE-MAN's instructions sounded similar to loading a howitzer.... J/K.
__________________
Rev.

Shiny!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-14-2017, 8:45 AM
smle-man's Avatar
smle-man smle-man is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Right here
Posts: 7,749
iTrader: 114 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revhendo View Post
That's a beautiful rifle.

I couldn't help thinking SMLE-MAN's instructions sounded similar to loading a howitzer.... J/K.
It's pretty labor intensive!

__________________
4th generation citizen soldier - U.S. Army (ret)

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-14-2017, 6:27 PM
KublaiGun KublaiGun is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 93
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

You should check out British Muzzleloaders on YouTube. That might be all one word. Lots of videos on reloading for old rifles, specifically the Martini.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-15-2017, 3:04 AM
peppermintman's Avatar
peppermintman peppermintman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,779
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KublaiGun View Post
You should check out British Muzzleloaders on YouTube. That might be all one word. Lots of videos on reloading for old rifles, specifically the Martini.
Seen those videos, very instructional. Iraqivet has a couple too. IMI has some nice rifles . The Brit's in the movie "Zulu" got lucky.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:49 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.