Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:31 PM

Default HTC EVO 4G rooted- what ROM to run?

Anybody root their EVO? If so what ROM can you guys recommend?
No, I never had good enough dexterity to play with the sack.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:07 AM

I have been using fresh ROMs for a while now. Started out with my HERO, and now onto the EVO.

I like fresh because the ROMs are clean, and basically Stock but have many added features and are much faster and don't contain any bloatware that Sprint sends out.

Here is the latest ROM: Fresh 4.1.1.0 It is based off the latest Gingerbread ROM from HTC.

There is also a new radio if you wish to flash to the latest radio version.

Fresh ROMs may not be for you. I, I use them as an everyday ROM, it is stable, functional, and does just about everything I have been looking for. I really enjoyed Fresh Evo 3.5.0.1, and you could also try that one if you wish. It had some extras that I was really happy with, but are not yet added into the latest version because the person who developed them must develop them for the latest Gingerbread version, and was waiting for an actual release instead of a leak.

http://geekfor.me/category/evo/
Old 06-12-2011, 10:28 AM

Did you loose any contacts when you wiped your phone? I'm just getting back all mime from when I rooted...(the salesman didn't set up my address book to backup with my gmail).
No, I never had good enough dexterity to play with the sack.
Old 06-12-2011, 1:53 PM

Rooting should have absolutely no visual affect on your phone. The term "Rooting" strictly means allowing you root access tot he phone, which is restricted by the phone company from the factory.

Rooting grants root access and allows you free reign to do what you want to do, such as install certain apps, ROMS, recovery etc. I have rooted several EVOs and have helped several people root their phones. For the EVO I recommend Unrevoked 3. This is a one click root and recovery flash. It installs Clockwork recovery (Works fine, but I prefer AmonRA's Recovery, especially since Fresh ROMS work better with AmonRA and allow the Fresh updater to work) and grants you root access.

Once you are root, you will never know. Only until you flash a new ROM will you know a visual difference.

I always recommend when rooting or flashing any ROM that the user make a complete backup. I use Handcent SMS, and I can backup all of my messages and settings through there, and backup all of my pictures. I have Gmail manage my contacts, so I don't have to worry about those. Whenever I add a contact, I set it up so it adds it to Gmail contacts, So when I do a data wipe and flash, it will all come back up once I go through the setup.

I have recently been playing with Titanium backup, It seems to work pretty well in that it manages to save all of your settings, ringtones, call logs, messages, etc, and does an good job at doing so.

Basically once you are root, you will always be root unless you flash back to stock with an RUU. Rooting should not cause you to lose any of your data, but I highly recommend that you prepare yourself a backup just in case. When installing a new ROM, you should preform a full wipe, wipe the dalvik cache and then install the new ROM. Whenever changing between ROM distros, or to a different kernel or a different ROM version, you should do a full wipe.

Once you are back up and running, you can use Titanium Backup to restore everything, or go through and manually restore everything.

But to answer your question, no I have never lost contacts when I wipe, because they are synced to Gmail.