Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-18-2018, 9:39 PM

Question RTT Tungsten Lower Problem with VLTOR Buffer Extension

I have a RTT in Tungsten that I had put the AR Stoner Mil-Spec Tube in without problem. I decide to change it to VLTOR buffer tube and only able to turn about 1.75 turns into it then it really bind up. I tried this same VLTOR buffer tube in 3 other brand lowers and there is no issue with binding up. What could be the problem here?

Note: the selector sits very very tight in its hole. The bolt catch's roll pin hole is also very very tight. Does anyone have problem with Cerakoted RTT lower?

VLTOR Mil-Spec Tube - 1.75 revolutions into the lower

AR Stoner Mil-Spec Tube - 6 complete revolutions into the lower

Both Tubes - The beginning of the thread is the residue of grease.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:03 AM

You might try using a brass bristle brush to smooth out the finish on the threads of the buffer tube. Both finishes might be binding up together like rubbing 2 pieces of sand paper together
Old 10-19-2018, 11:08 AM

Saw a video suggesting one uses sand paper to sand down the ridge of the tube/thread. That sounds like it can cause more permanent damage. Any thought on that approach?
Old 10-19-2018, 3:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by husadee View Post
Saw a video suggesting one uses sand paper to sand down the ridge of the tube/thread. That sounds like it can cause more permanent damage. Any thought on that approach?

The sandpaper approach seem fraught with problems (uneven sanding and ridges only). You might try a paste cutting compound. This will take off material gradually and evenly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2018, 3:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
The sandpaper approach seem fraught with problems (uneven sanding and ridges only). You might try a paste cutting compound applied to both surfaces. Slowing and repeatedly tightening. This will take off material gradually and evenly.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:11 PM

Last Update: I slow thread the tube in and out in and out which is tight all the way in but it finally went in. Because I was dumb to leave the end plate on the tube while I thread it and out. At one point, I didn't notice the plate rest up against the lower and power thru the turn...stripping about 1/2 a turn off the tube thread. The notch at the bottom practically remove the thread off the tube. But it is in and working finally.