Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 03-31-2018, 1:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Fishing black bass in muddy water

So im fishing the muddy water with plastics. Im using dark and light colors. Bite is slow.
What color and why do you use it?
Old 03-31-2018, 1:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Dark with green or blue stripe.
Old 03-31-2018, 4:46 PM
Veteran Member

Can't help you bro..I fish saltwater bass. The old saying is dark color dark day. But I'm sure wanting to get the boat out. It seems that every friggin weekend something comes up. I planned to take a day off Friday. Storms cleared out, good conditions...and then my wife's dad passed away (kinda unexpectedly, but hey, he was 95) Now I'm in fish limbo again. I keep trying to convince the wife..he would have wanted me fishing over some dumb funeral, But she's not buying it. Anyways, thanks for letting me vent and I hope you figure out the secret RG.
Old 03-31-2018, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_1111@yahoo.com View Post
So im fishing the muddy water with plastics. Im using dark and light colors. Bite is slow.

Bass feed just fine blind,

concentrate on a pattern based on vibration/thump of a blade or a larger mass as that is what they use their lateral line to sense.

https://archive.org/details/JohnRoss...edConsequences

i was born under a wandrin star
Old 03-31-2018, 5:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Hope you ge out soon beerman. IDK if theres a secret or not but fish have patterns they follow. I have never done well in muddy water except for surgeon.
I'm going again tomorrow and throw everything i can tie on in a day. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-31-2018, 5:48 PM

Quote:

Bass feed just fine blind,

concentrate on a pattern based on vibration/thump of a blade, tail or a larger mass as that is what they use their lateral line to sense.

https://archive.org/details/JohnRoss...edConsequences

i was born under a wandrin star
Old 03-31-2018, 5:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Stonefly'2
Yeah i know fish have lateral lines. Taste smell and sight also. Was hopping to get tips on what others use. Went threw all my favorites today.
So tomorrow i will use all brand new lures out of the packages. To see what happens. I will use my go to lure in between.
Old 03-31-2018, 5:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Also have five rods to rotate threw. Every rod will have something different. Plastic worm,crank bait,Jig,spinner bait and top water bait. I'm thinking maybe Hulla poper or buzzbait.
Old 03-31-2018, 6:44 PM

Generally speaking, you should use dark colors in muddy water or low light conditions. However, I suggest something which gives off a lot of vibration which can be fished slow or fast love a spinnerbaits.
Old 03-31-2018, 8:42 PM

Try a White or Blue Xrap have good luck with them in muddy water . Fish the Mud line if you can find clearer water . Large bass will use the Mud line to ambush .

Last edited by dozer wright; 03-31-2018 at 8:44 PM..
Old 03-31-2018, 8:52 PM

Use a live goldfish, easy for bass to see, most lifelike presentation there is.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks guys. No gold fish for me. Live to catch with lures and CPR. Catch photo release.
Hope tomorrow is a better day.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:56 PM

Cold water and pre spawn. Try fishing depths 6-12' where it's sunny with a Carolina rigged 8" black or purple worm. Work it slowly and twitching occasionally. A few more days of this weather and it'll get much easier.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClAddict View Post
Use a live goldfish, easy for bass to see, most lifelike presentation there is.

Good idea to me. Is that legal?
Old 04-01-2018, 6:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Day was nice until i got to ramp. Then this dollar a year game warden ask to see life jackets, Fire extinguisher and horn. Ok i have that. Showed fire extinguisher first. He said it's not big enough. I said when was the last time you saw a aluminum boat on fire.
He says what if someone else's boat on fire that fire extinguisher is not going to help. I say maybe the coastguard should help them.
He says buy a bigger extinguisher. I said ok Bernie Sanders get your wallet out and give me $20.00 and i will. Things got worst from there. Now he wants to get inside boat. I said no. I tell him he can see everything from where he is.
He says open your tackle boxes. I said no. Did you see me comit a crime? No but i want to look inside the tackle boxes. I ask for his supervisor name and number. He says my supervisor is off today and he wont give me name or number. So i tell him were done talking get in truck and drive home.
Old 04-01-2018, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostersgt View Post
Cold water and pre spawn. Try fishing depths 6-12' where it's sunny with a Carolina rigged 8" black or purple worm. Work it slowly and twitching occasionally. A few more days of this weather and it'll get much easier.
With my local conditions this is what I would do also

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
Rifles are like women, they can be finicky or they will bang anything that looks at it twice.
Quote:
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it
Old 04-02-2018, 8:07 AM

All I know is that muddy water and storm runoff slows down or stops the bite, wait until the water clears up.
Old 04-02-2018, 9:27 AM
Veteran Member

When I did a lot of bass fishing I would work muddy waters with bigger baits. Usually: brown or brown/red jig and pig, 6-8 inch motor oil colored texas rigged worms, or 1/2 oz black and gold spinner baits.

I really liked those baits and that fishing style, so it was always a treat if I cound Casitas was muddied up. Otherwise it was all about split shotting or fly lining 4 inch handpours; which I think is less fun.

I haven't seriously bass fished for a long time, so I'm guessing this is all pretty old school; but let's face it, bass still eat crawdads and snakes and lizards and stuff.
Old 04-02-2018, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa Defense View Post
Good idea to me. Is that legal?
Itís definitely illegal, it was a joke.
Old 04-02-2018, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Day was nice until i got to ramp. Then this dollar a year game warden ask to see life jackets, Fire extinguisher and horn. Ok i have that. Showed fire extinguisher first. He said it's not big enough. I said when was the last time you saw a aluminum boat on fire.
He says what if someone else's boat on fire that fire extinguisher is not going to help. I say maybe the coastguard should help them.
He says buy a bigger extinguisher. I said ok Bernie Sanders get your wallet out and give me $20.00 and i will. Things got worst from there. Now he wants to get inside boat. I said no. I tell him he can see everything from where he is.
He says open your tackle boxes. I said no. Did you see me comit a crime? No but i want to look inside the tackle boxes. I ask for his supervisor name and number. He says my supervisor is off today and he wont give me name or number. So i tell him were done talking get in truck and drive home.
Sorry to see you had problems yesterday ... Which lake were you at?
P220 West German, P220 Stainless Elite, P220 Stainless Elite Carry, P220 Elite, 1911 C3, P226 Stainless Elite .40/357sig, P226 .40/.357sig, P229 Stainless Elite .40/357sig, P320c .40/357sig/9mm, P320 X-Five & fs RX slide, P320 X-Carry, P228 West German, P228 German, P225 German "GOTM", P238, Glock G27, CZ P-01, M&P 9 Shield, 716, 516, IWI Tavor, Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm, RJF ZK-22, Ruger 10/22 Takedown, Benelli M4, Kel Tec KSG & Mossberg 930
Old 04-02-2018, 6:42 PM
Calguns Addict

I was fishing a slough called Elk's. It goes into Sacramento river threw sutter slough. Down by Cortland on yolo side.
Went up Elk's slough almost to Clarksburg.
Old 04-02-2018, 6:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Spoons & spinners - give 'em a little flash, so they can see the target.
Old 04-02-2018, 7:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks war wagon.
Never tied on a spoon in the two day's. I have lot of them.Threw numerous spinner baits from quarter ounce to one once in lots of different colors. It's hard to fish muddy water.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Did it really go like that ? damn you have balls !!
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.