Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 03-17-2018, 1:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Default Eotech, what are the issues, what are the safe date ranges?

I bought an eotech 552,iirc, in the late 1990s. I HATE the n batteries. I hate that they leak, and have put this sight, after learning to take these batteries out after every range session, on a fun carbine that will never see serious use.

I am taking a carbine class in May, and put a new flattop uper on a RAW i have had collecting dust and doing house defense duty.

I like the eotech sight on my other rifle, but would never buy another n battery monstrosity.

To me, the AA size just takes up too much space, and i have a ton of 123 batteries for my lights.

Im looking at either a new Xps2-0, or a used one. I see used ones here and there, looking at a 2014 made one, but am leery of quality before “the big fix”.

I dont care, at all, about thermal shift at extreme temps. I live where my house is never above 79 or below 69. Outside isnt much worse

I didnt pay much attention to the issues when they came up, i kept my sight because for what it is, it works. I wont use my old one because the carbine i am taking the class with does house duty and i cant leave batteries in it.

Do i need to worry about anything other than thermal drift in a 2014 made xps 2?

Price difference is 340 for used, almost 600 for a brand new one with a throw lever and lens cover flip ups.

Also, any issue running a 300blackout model on a 223 upper, other than the second dot wont necessarly correlate to Anything? Short range m4 house gun, so i dont need a second zero dot anyway. I see one of these that is newer than the 2014 one.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by Citadelgrad87; 03-17-2018 at 1:58 PM..
Old 03-17-2018, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I bought an eotech 552,iirc, in the late 1990s. I HATE the n batteries. I hate that they leak, and have put this sight, after learning to take these batteries out after every range session, on a fun carbine that will never see serious use.

I am taking a carbine class in May, and put a new flattop uper on a RAW i have had collecting dust and doing house defense duty.

I like the eotech sight on my other rifle, but would never buy another n battery monstrosity.

To me, the AA size just takes up too much space, and i have a ton of 123 batteries for my lights.

Im looking at either a new Xps2-0, or a used one. I see used ones here and there, looking at a 2014 made one, but am leery of quality before “the big fix”.

I dont care, at all, about thermal shift at extreme temps. I live where my house is never above 79 or below 69. Outside isnt much worse

I didnt pay much attention to the issues when they came up, i kept my sight because for what it is, it works. I wont use my old one because the carbine i am taking the class with does house duty and i cant leave batteries in it.

Do i need to worry about anything other than thermal drift in a 2014 made xps 2?

Price difference is 340 for used, almost 600 for a brand new one with a throw lever and lens cover flip ups.

Also, any issue running a 300blackout model on a 223 upper, other than the second dot wont necessarly correlate to Anything? Short range m4 house gun, so i dont need a second zero dot anyway. I see one of these that is newer than the 2014 one.

Thanks.
If you don't care about a tiny bit of zero drift at extreme temps then I think you are GTG with your Eotech. I had a 552 that had broke on me and I had stopped using it, put it in a drawer.

Then when Eotech announced their recall I jumped on it and they were very generous paying me full price for it. I was very happy with that deal and believe they are a stand up company. I don't know what a safe date range is, but I don't think it matters for your purposes.

Also, for your short range use, the 300 Blackout unit should work just fine also!

Dealer | AR-15 & AR-10 Parts | We Ship FAST
Toolcraft | Ballistic Advantage | Radian Weapons
Some Dealers Claim To Be The Biggest - We're Content To Be The Best!
20 yr Air Force Veteran Owned & Operated
FL Based California Escapee
NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
No Sales Tax on Cali Orders!
Old 03-17-2018, 10:04 PM

Just bought the Xps2-0, absolutely love it. $430 OTD. I haven't had much trigger time with it, but I really like it.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwinters14 View Post
Just bought the Xps2-0, absolutely love it. $430 OTD. I haven't had much trigger time with it, but I really like it.
Link for that price? Thats way under what i am seeing.

Thx.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 03-18-2018, 12:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Why aren't you running Aimpoint's? Eotech has been left behind.
Old 03-18-2018, 3:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
No. Not true. Eotech is still the best system for close quarters stuff (of course, that is just my opinion).

The FOV on an Eotech is about the only red dot setup that doesn't cause me eye fatigue after extended periods of use. I am cross-eye dominant and I am far from alone in this situation.

The hash marks on the Eotech reticle are also good for using as a holdover at short ranges. If I zero my 556 carbine at 50 yds (center dot), the bottom hash mark becomes my point of aim at 10 yards. With training, you can get really fast doing this. Hostage rescue shots at hallway ranges suddenly become possible. Try that with your Aimpoint.

BTW Aimpoints have thermal drift too. Eotech just got caught lying about it and suffered some negative publicity, and people let that get to their heads and all of a sudden the mouth breathers on this site were saying that "Eotech is crap".

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2018, 7:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
I dont like them.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 03-18-2018, 7:33 AM

Holosun 510c. No thermal drift, 50k hours of battery, 3 vehicles, solar capability, incredibly clear glass and reticle. Oh and they can be had for $300 or less. Why buy an eotech? Outdated technology.
Old 03-18-2018, 7:44 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I dont like them.
I've got a mini Aimpoint, a Comp M4, and an old Eotech. Eotech is my favorite of those three. I bought my first one back in...03 or 04 probably? Thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread, and showed it off to everyone on my block, and then they bought them too. The ACOGs are great, for shooting further ranges, but anything inside a hundred the non-magnified stuff works better for me. But I should train more, too, and have a better informed opinion.

Last edited by Spyder; 03-18-2018 at 7:49 AM..
Old 03-18-2018, 8:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-lee View Post
Holosun 510c. No thermal drift, 50k hours of battery, 3 vehicles, solar capability, incredibly clear glass and reticle. Oh and they can be had for $300 or less. Why buy an eotech? Outdated technology.
I have two 510c And will be getting a third for my Bullpup HD shotgun.
Old 03-18-2018, 9:45 AM
Banned

I had my Eotech days over a decade ago. Will never go back. They are cheap and never really liked what they offered.

If you’re on a budget Eotech and Aimpoint are the way to go.

Nowadays it’s Elcan/Trijicon/Sig in that order.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:46 AM
Banned

I love the eo tech but if you have an Astigmatism the reticle is pretty funny and not as useful
Old 03-18-2018, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
I had my Eotech days over a decade ago. Will never go back. They are cheap and never really liked what they offered.

Vortex and Halosun seem to be making some in-roads at the budget level. An Elcan is great if you can afford one.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebia View Post
I love the eo tech but if you have an Astigmatism the reticle is pretty funny and not as useful
Yup. Red dots and halo graphics don’t work well with astigmatisms. I been reading that polarized lens my help this problem, but have yet to try it. You can have clear polarized lenses made.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:

I chuckled when you said aimpoint on a budget. Probably the most expensive optic out with the least amount of features. And sig optics are just holosun rebranded with a sig logo for more $.

Someday I will pony up the dough for an acog with acss reticle but for now my budget aimpoint will work.

Last edited by Jay-lee; 03-18-2018 at 11:02 AM..
Old 03-18-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
I have two 510c And will be getting a third for my Bullpup HD shotgun.
It's fantastic for the price and I've beat the **** out of mine with zero issues so far. Had it on .308 rifles and my 12ga with high brass. Works well with my astigmatism too, if you focus on the target and not the reticle like you should it's probably the least fuzzy optic I've used.
Old 03-18-2018, 7:29 PM

I have a 512 model on my ar-15 very easy to shoot out to 200 yards haven't tried it any further than that. Mine was made after they fixed the moisture incursion thing. I picked mine up for $320 new and am very happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2018, 8:47 AM

Last edited by Ej6fade; 02-28-2019 at 10:34 AM..
Old 03-19-2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:

LOL Get outta here with trying to say Sig Optics is anywhere close to the quality of Elcan or Trijicon. Eotech and Aimpoint are definitely not "budget" optics.

"You're never gonna defeat 220lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal" - Malibu

I'm not here for a long time, just a good time.
Old 03-19-2018, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ej6fade View Post
You aren't paying for "features," you are paying for quality and durability. If you want lots of Gucci features, no Aimpoints are not for you. Of course they can be broken, anything can break, but find me another RDS/Holo optic (NOT an Acog or magnified optic) that has Aimpoint's track record; they are THE gold standard that everything else is compared to, all personal feelings and bias aside.

And FWIW, you can find Aimpoints on a budget; on the second hand market, you can find Aimpoint Comp M2/ML2s for ~$240-300 and Aimpoint PROs all day for ~$300-380 all day long with a mount if you keep your eyes open on other forums (AR15.com EE)
Maybe you missed my first post, I was being sarcastic because this guy said Aimpoints are budget optics and then lumped in Sig/Holosun with Trijicon and Elcan. I have a couple aimpoint optics and they are definitely bombproof.
Old 03-19-2018, 7:34 PM

I’ve got six or seven eotech exps w g33s and four or five trijicon acogs, and a few holosuns. For me personally, the eotech is the way to go. I have one on an ar pistol that I “train” with in the desert, i repeatedly throw the weapon on the ground and abuse it to make sure it will work in the event I need it. Not a single issue with the optic.

The other ones don’t give me the same confidence for whatever reason. They are all great so go with what ya know.
Old 03-19-2018, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklincollector View Post
I’ve got six or seven eotech exps w g33s and four or five trijicon acogs, and a few holosuns. For me personally, the eotech is the way to go. I have one on an ar pistol that I “train” with in the desert, i repeatedly throw the weapon on the ground and abuse it to make sure it will work in the event I need it. Not a single issue with the optic.

The other ones don’t give me the same confidence for whatever reason. They are all great so go with what ya know.
I'll take one of those acogs off your hands ya'dig
Old 03-19-2018, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

eotech has one of the best easiest to use warranties in the industry.

I bought a second hand eotech, long past warranty date. Reticle started getting fuzzy and dim. They had a return authorization number ready for me the next day after emailing them. Had my optic repaired and returned to me within the same week I sent it free of charge and fixed perfect, and even upgraded.