Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 03-13-2018, 6:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
Nope, they're tastier.
You need better recipes my friend.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 03-14-2018, 4:38 AM

Frank Bigelow is a republican from the central valley. There is no chance this bill will get through the democrat controlled legislature in its current form. If it moves forward at all, the first thing to go will be the poisoning aspect.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:29 AM

Are pheasant and chuckar next?
Old 03-14-2018, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
I see nothing wrong with this bill. Those that don’t want the invasive species can take action and those that do want them for sport, can manage them. The way it was.
Agreed.
Old 03-14-2018, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
so they can poison in the condor range.... but with scientific proof lead bullets dont harm, condors, they can ban lead ammo

And people still seem to think we're rational creatures...
Old 03-14-2018, 1:29 PM

Some people will interrupt their deer hunt just to bust a coyote. I'll happily interrupt mine to bust a pig.
Old 03-14-2018, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
honey bees?
DFW won't manage them. There's no point in trying. Half of all the hives in the country go through the valley this time of year, sending swarms all over the state (of which I am happy to collect). Beekeeping has grown so big (fewer, larger operations) that most keepers don't even bother to control swarming during pollination. There isn't time or value in it. Between beekeepers & farmers, there's no way in hell any politician will touch that with a 10' pole. Ag is too big a business & farmers have the money to fight it.

Besides, people can't exterminate all the feral bees in the city, let alone rural areas. Best case scenario, they can let people keep them legally within city limits so people don't ignore them when they show up in a wall or tree somewhere, sending out even more swarms. In my city, you can have them in a tree legally but not in a managed hive. Feral bees in a tree or wall are only a problem if somebody complains (nuisance law). Managed hives are forbidden under municipal code. In other words, they're only legal if you want them. But if you don't want them, you're fine. Ah, our legal system...
Old 03-14-2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Great no more pig tags. Name a state that allows sale of wild game not farm raised.
In Florida they have a system where one can trap wild hogs and slaughter them in a USDA facility and sell the meat. Three suns ranch?
Old 03-14-2018, 2:38 PM

A simple phone call to CAL DFW will get you a depredation permit allowing all of that already...
Old 03-14-2018, 2:42 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage View Post
...Like the pigs in Orwells 1984 4 legs good 2 legs better. While we wrangle the pigs win.
This is almost as good as "were you there when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
As long as I’ve been hunting (40+ years) Pigs were 1 per day, no tags. Tmk in ca it has never been a free for all.
Are you talking about in California? I haven't been hunting them for 40 years, but I have been for a bunch, and there's no time in MY hunting experience in this state where wild pigs were 1 per day. I've shot several of them on the same day several times, perfectly legally.
Old 03-14-2018, 2:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Do you really think that having wild pigs is good for the deer population??
The last boar I shot was eating a deer carcass when I smoked him...
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 03-14-2018, 6:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
This is almost as good as "were you there when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Are you talking about in California? I haven't been hunting them for 40 years, but I have been for a bunch, and there's no time in MY hunting experience in this state where wild pigs were 1 per day. I've shot several of them on the same day several times, perfectly legally.
Ya...CA.

Have you always needed pig tags?

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 03-14-2018, 8:11 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

When I shot my first pig around 1980 you didn't need tags.
Old 03-14-2018, 8:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieeater View Post
Similar era (mid/late 70's) here...and I'm pretty sure it was 1 per day.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 03-15-2018, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylogger6 View Post
A simple phone call to CAL DFW will get you a depredation permit allowing all of that already...
and it also allows the wardens access to the property you applied for the permit on. also it is very specific and you cant bring anyone with you not listed on the permit. at least this is how some wardens currently treat the depradation permits. and also the permits can say specific methods of take. ei. there was a female warden here who didnt like dog hunting so she wouldnt stipulate dogs on her permits even thought they are allowed for sport hunting.
Old 03-15-2018, 7:20 AM

as far back as i recall the first regs i saw for wild hogs was one per day. and this was in the very early seventies.
Old 03-15-2018, 7:38 AM

So what is the issue?
You kill rats at will,no?
Old 03-15-2018, 7:54 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

About 4 years ago in Napa county my dads best friend tried to get a permit for a public park while working for the parks district. After two+ weeks of back and forth and run around with DFG he gave up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 03-16-2018, 1:04 PM
Veteran Member

I have no issue with this bill, but I don't think it has a chance of passing regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris7556 View Post
They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.
Old 03-16-2018, 2:11 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Ya...CA.

Have you always needed pig tags?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieeater View Post
Correct.

Quote:
Similar era (mid/late 70's) here...and I'm pretty sure it was 1 per day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGDOG1955 View Post
as far back as i recall the first regs i saw for wild hogs was one per day. and this was in the very early seventies.
Pig tags were first needed in 1992. I don't know what the daily limit was before that, and I don't know what it was in 1992. I was not yet quite old enough for big game hunting in California, though I had already slaughtered and eaten a whole lot of pheasants, dove, rabbits, and squirrels.

But I DO know that there has not been a daily limit of only 1 pig per day, which was my original statement, for at least the last ten years, and likely longer than that. If you have two tags, you can shoot two pigs, if you get the opportunity.
Old 03-16-2018, 4:37 PM
Calguns Addict

I do remember when it was 1 per day and no pig tags. I was hunting them in the 1960's and since all the tag nonsense has been around.
The tags started out as $7.50 for 5 tags to fund "research" that never happened. Then the Fish and Game(called that at the time) and is now the Fish and Fairy Dept saw a new revenue stream and the tags went to $7.50 each and to what they are now.
Old 03-16-2018, 7:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
I do remember when it was 1 per day and no pig tags. I was hunting them in the 1960's and since all the tag nonsense has been around.
The tags started out as $7.50 for 5 tags to fund "research" that never happened. Then the Fish and Game(called that at the time) and is now the Fish and Fairy Dept saw a new revenue stream and the tags went to $7.50 each and to what they are now.
That was my recollection as well.

When I asked if you always needed tags, I meant YOU as in Spyder.

And yes, the tags were instituted as a "research" tool. I didn't recall the price, but it was a book of 5.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 03-16-2018, 7:57 PM
Veteran Member

They will never stop and just keep attacking. Why aren't anyone on our side attacks them where it hurts?
Old 03-16-2018, 8:23 PM
Calguns Addict

JagerDog---I remember the price very well. I told people that all that would happen is the price will go up and the number of tags for the money would be reduced until they were like deer tags. Back then deer tags were A-Zone and the other tag was the rest of the state. Bear tags were $1---yes a single dollar. You did not need an "Upland bird" stamp to hunt pheasants, quail, dove and the such as I think is also required now but I have not bird hunted in many years since we sold the ranch. You did need a waterfowl stamp which I never hunted.

On this point I may be wrong but I think the pig tag books were to fund research(which never happened) and were not designed to be a permeant fee. That is at least what they said back then as I remember. But I could be wrong on that point.
Old 03-16-2018, 8:33 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:

When I asked if you always needed tags, I meant YOU as in Spyder.
Quote:
Pig tags were first needed in 1992. I don't know what the daily limit was before that, and I don't know what it was in 1992. I was not yet quite old enough for big game hunting in California, though I had already slaughtered and eaten a whole lot of pheasants, dove, rabbits, and squirrels.

But I DO know that there has not been a daily limit of only 1 pig per day, which was my original statement, for at least the last ten years, and likely longer than that. If you have two tags, you can shoot two pigs, if you get the opportunity.
Asked and answered. My argument was never about tags, as I know, and knew, that they were not required 40 years ago. My original statement was opposing the view that "As long as I’ve been hunting (40+ years) Pigs were 1 per day, no tags."

Which...unless you hunted pigs for 40 years, and then stopped in 1992, I am still correct.
Old 03-16-2018, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
You need better recipes my friend.
When you’re working with something made of bacon you don’t have to be a world class chef.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Asked and answered. My argument was never about tags, as I know, and knew, that they were not required 40 years ago. My original statement was opposing the view that "As long as I’ve been hunting (40+ years) Pigs were 1 per day, no tags."

Which...unless you hunted pigs for 40 years, and then stopped in 1992, I am still correct.
Ya...I kinda worded it wrong. I shoulda said when I started hunting them 40 years ago (in CA)......

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 03-16-2018, 10:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleKnight View Post
When you’re working with something made of bacon you don’t have to be a world class chef.
Except it's the rare wild pig which has enough "pork belly" to make bacon...and oddly enough, it doesn't taste like bacon until it's bacon.

I love some good wild pork, but not sure I'd choose it over elk. But since I like to rotate my proteins, I vote both. Thrown in some fowl and some fish too.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 03-17-2018, 7:24 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Haha, fair enough. I didn't exist 40 years ago!
Old 03-17-2018, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
JagerDog---. You did not need an "Upland bird" stamp to hunt pheasants, quail, dove and the such as I think is also required now
Let's see how old you are. Do you remember the punch tags you had to put on wild Pheasant legs? This was many years ago. I was a kid and remember having to do this. This was for wild birds not just the club birds.
Old 03-17-2018, 1:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes I do and when some years you could take a hen the 1st weekend also. I may be wrong but in the 1950's I do not think they had tags at all. I remember hunting with my dad in the 1950-1970's. I have never hunted a planted bird. When I was a kid the season would close at 4:30 and we would take our shotguns and boots to school so we could hunt about 1 hour after school got out at 3PM. Try that now and see what happens with all the snowflakes and libtards. A friend had a great place close to the school. His family raised rice and it was good hunting. He also had a good hunting dog.

I also remember 5 being the limit for Abs and no tags. I remember taking Abs in SLO and the Channel Islands (black, green, white as well as red) with scuba gear. I remember when the limit on Halibut and was 5 a day. Lingcod were 5 also and they had to be 21"(?) long. I think they need to be 25-28" now. I can no longer dive so I have not kept up with the regs.
Old 03-17-2018, 2:12 PM
Veteran Member

We're about the same age, I also remember the 1 hen. I shot my first Duck at Colusa NWR in 1965. My dad took my Brother and I Duck hunting in the late 1950's early 1960's before we were old enough to get our licenses. He liked Colusa, but as the years went by, we shot all of the North Valley Refuges. In the 50's and 60's, the north valley grew Cotton. Not any more.

I still shoot the North Sac. Valley. I like the rice fed Ducks & Geese.
Old 03-17-2018, 5:40 PM
Veteran Member

All those pig tag fees goes straight into politicians pockets. None of it goes to managing of pigs. Theres not enough pigs in the state. 99% of pigs hang out on private property owned by sheeps, libtards, treehuggers and antigunners. The properties that have pigs charges bank for hunting an “INVASIVE” species which I call BS. Pigs in kommifornia is just another way to generate revenue.

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 03-17-2018, 5:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
so they can poison in the condor range.... but with scientific proof lead bullets dont harm, condors, they can ban lead ammo

Facepalm indeed

-Immortal Technique

Old 03-17-2018, 8:03 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
When I was a kid the season would close at 4:30 and we would take our shotguns and boots to school so we could hunt about 1 hour after school got out at 3PM. Try that now and see what happens with all the snowflakes and libtards. A friend had a great place close to the school. His family raised rice and it was good hunting. He also had a good hunting dog.
I was late to MANY first and second classes in high school. Throw the shotgun in the truck, hunt the fields on the way to school, clean the birds back behind welding shop with the shotgun in the back window. Good times.
Old 03-17-2018, 9:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Try that now!
We use to have pocket knives at school and played this game with them. All I remember is it had something to do with your feet. It really was not the smartest game to be honest and looking back.
Old 03-19-2018, 9:43 AM

Location: Where everyone wants to live, the USA. I am in Cali.

Poison the pigs, and other animals will eat the pigs and die.
I guess no poisoning in the condor zone.
Old 03-20-2018, 7:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
I doubt it. I offered to kill pigs on private property in San Diego.county, and the landowners refused to allow it, but then followed it up with "but the state needs to do something because they destroy my crops". Most of those people are beyond stupid. The reason pigs are everywhere isn't because hunters won't buy a $14 tag, it's because nobody allows the people most capable of controlling them to do it.
Not pointing the finger at you but maybe they've had a bad experience with hunters who aren't responsible. Maybe they had some stock or equipment shot up. If I was a landowner and saw someone on my property with a gun in one hand and a beer in the other, he or she would be escorted off the property right then and there.

There's all kinds of stupid in this world.[/rant off]

Sorry, I'm not a teetotaler by any means but I just think guns and alcohol should never mix.

Some landowners have figured out that wild pigs can be a cash crop on otherwise poor land. Others really are stupid enough to think the state should be solving this problem for them when it can't and won't.
Old 03-20-2018, 7:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackEllis View Post
Not pointing the finger at you but maybe they've had a bad experience with hunters who aren't responsible. Maybe they had some stock or equipment shot up. If I was a landowner and saw someone on my property with a gun in one hand and a beer in the other, he or she would be escorted off the property right then and there.

There's all kinds of stupid in this world.[/rant off]

Sorry, I'm not a teetotaler by any means but I just think guns and alcohol should never mix.

Some landowners have figured out that wild pigs can be a cash crop on otherwise poor land. Others really are stupid enough to think the state should be solving this problem for them when it can't and won't.

You could think that, but you'd be wrong. In fact, that "drunk hunter" myth idiots believe and continue to foster by passing it along only makes it worse. Please do all of us a favor and shut up.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 03-20-2018, 8:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Never been able to sell feral hogs in ca dep permit or not. Nor any sport caught game or fish..