Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:20 AM

Default Plate carrier for my wife

Hey Ladies just asking for my wife. In light of recent events my wife has decided on getting a plate carrier with hard plates. I was wondering though she's got a pretty big bust so I'm thinking those smaller slick plate carriers are out of the question...

AR owner
Glock owner
Mosin owner
Old 10-02-2017, 12:01 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

I think a hard plate carrier of ANY sort is out of the question. Put one on her for a while and see what she thinks. Hard plates are very heavy , hot, uncomfortable and generally not worn except under combat conditions.
Old 10-02-2017, 4:39 PM

Perhaps just some body armor. You can get curved plates to cover the breasts.

Not too sure if any of the companies make a plate carrier just for females.. Mostly soft body armor and additional plates.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:16 AM

AR 500 ALSC cut with multi curved front plate and flat back plate in a 5.11 carrier. it is whst i run all the time. super comfortable and the plates are fairly light and relatively thin. you can also go with ceramic, but i really prefer the ALSC cut to the shooters cut. i can move better. the padding on the 5.11 carrier is tops and have put it though its paces. or you can try the Crye, i like that one too, but it is more expensive.
hope it helps!
Old 03-15-2018, 11:01 AM

I don't know about your wife, but I have one of these ordered for mine.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/b...for-everyone#/
Old 03-15-2018, 9:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmonster View Post
Hey Ladies just asking for my wife. In light of recent events my wife has decided on getting a plate carrier with hard plates. I was wondering though she's got a pretty big bust so I'm thinking those smaller slick plate carriers are out of the question...
Unless your planning to equip with a level 4 plate, your wasting your time against the kind of threats your referring too. Level IIIA which is what most law enforcement officers wear on duty will not stop a rifle round. Many cruisers will carry IV for certain instances but it's not wearable.

Also remember that a plate is about the size of a standard sheet of paper. There is a lot it does not cover.

Wearing the armor is at best tiring and heavy. It's also expensive.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokensword View Post
I don't know about your wife, but I have one of these ordered for mine.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/b...for-everyone#/
How thin/thick is that kevlar armor ? It looks like the impact alone would do just as much damage as the bullet passing through
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

Old 03-17-2018, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

Female shaped armor is more designed around the female body's curvature to reduce excess material and slop rather than bust size.

Search "female body armor" on the internet. She will have to try what fits her specific body.

https://survivalarmor.com/products/c.../female-armor/

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 03-17-2018, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmonster View Post
Some body armor is better than none, but plate carriers for civilian everyday use can be problematic. They are bulky and uncomfortable which tend to be left in the closet. The ballistic jackets noted above look like a good compromise solution, with the understanding you may still sustain substantial injury (sub dermal hematoma, cracked ribs, and even cardiac arrest-nothing you’re back up taser won’t fix) but it beats being dead. I wouldn’t expect it to be too effective against rifle rounds. So if your concern is a mass murder, best hope you don’t get hit immediately and can return fire.
Old 03-17-2018, 8:41 PM
Veteran Member

Please understand that wearing body armor does not prevent sever injury from a shot close to the person, high powered rounds or shotgun rounds. Just because the bullet doesn't penetrate doesn't mean the energy from the round doesn't destroy organs and bones from the impact. I offer the following video as food for thought. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjgGlolY-8s
Old 03-24-2018, 2:38 PM

What are people doing that they need body armor? Seems a little excessive to me...
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 03-25-2018, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
What are people doing that they need body armor? Seems a little excessive to me...
I agree. I have a plate carrier with Level III hard plates that I have for my job. It's not "horrible"; but, it's not "comfortable" either. I'm 5'9", 190lbs, relatively small-busted and don't have too much issue with it due to my stature. However, the plate carrier and plates weigh 25lbs right off the bat without my magazines, med kit, etc. I would think that a woman of average stature will struggle with that kind of weight, especially since the weight sits on the torso and restricts the ribcage (regardless of bust size).

You said, "in light of recent events..." Reading between the lines, it sounds like you intend for her to have this as safety equipment in the event of some kind of widespread disruption in the community. I'm not sure that a plate carrier will help her too much in that situation. She may not be able to run effectively with such weight and her range of motion will be adversely affected. The plate carrier will likely slow her, and you, down. Then, she may not even want to wear it anyway after a few minutes of huffing down the block with it.

Of course, I don't know her - I'm just making some general statements. I like what Blade Gunner had to say as well. If you do think she really needs that kind of equipment, she should try looking for some "female body armor" anbu_yoshi pointed out. The curved plate in front may help her. Though, she HAS to try it on and practice in it so that she can get the velcro straps adjusted right ahead of time and so that she can feel and understand what it's like to have to move in one.

Good luck!