Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Oh My Sweet Jesus........./

That was the thought running through my mind as I witnessed a man and his (presumed) girlfriend on the firing line today.

I just happened to look up from the magazine counter to see the boyfriend show his girl how to shoot his Glock 19-BY CROsSInG HeR LEfT THuMB BEHinD THE SLiDe!

I waited for him to correct that posture. Instead he waits as she takes a shot and misses at 6' distance. I thought for certain I'd see my first range injury.

"Yeah that looks safe " said a bystander nearby.Neither of us could help, because we were behind the ballistic glass.

Gentlemen reading this forum, I implore you to seek proper instruction before taking your spouse to the range! I realize you don't want to look weak/silly in front of the love of your life, I really do get it. In that case, take an NRA safety course by your lonesome. Just please, for the sake of our rights and your sex life don't dare try to teach what you don't understand. Egotistical nonsense at the range can get someone severely injured or killed.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:46 PM

Wait.....she was holding the pistol in her right hand, with the left hand gripping as support, right? So she had her left thumb crossing around the back of the right hand instead of both thumbs lining down the left??

BK
Old 03-19-2013, 1:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
Wait.....she was holding the pistol in her right hand, with the left hand gripping as support, right? So she had her left thumb crossing around the back of the right hand instead of both thumbs lining down the left??

BK
Precisely.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 03-19-2013, 1:46 PM

How badly was her thumb mashed?

There a some things you just shouldn't learn from your SO. Driving and shooting spring to mind. Pay an instructor and save your marriage. Cheaper than attorneys!
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:55 PM

There are some things better left to a professional...unless you are one of them and if you love your SO...this is one.
Old 03-19-2013, 4:48 PM

Was at the range one day, and a guy was trying to teach his wife/girlfriend to shoot. Looked like a glock. Well he istrying to show her a stance, and he basically has this woman squatting at 90°, than he goes behind her and puts his arm on her back to make her lean forward. Seriously looked like the most uncomfortable position, not to mention fatigue.
Old 03-19-2013, 5:43 PM

I almost made this mistake my first time at a range. I had just finished a rather shoddy NRA basic pistol class and wanted to go to a range to practice what I had learned and to choose which gun I'd be purchasing. I pulled the RSO aside beforehand and said, "Hey, do you mind keeping an eye on me? I am brand new to this and only have a couple hours under my belt from pistol class." Best thing I could have done, because he was the one who stopped me before I fired the gun with my thumb behind the slide revolver-style!
Old 03-19-2013, 6:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

And then the guy said, "and that Honey, is called slide bite. Now you will always remember to keep your offhand thumb away from there."
Geez.