Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > San Jose Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2016, 9:28 AM

I think it might be worth mentioning Guns, Fishing and Stuff in Dublin. In my opinion, it has the best indoor range, friendly and knowledgeable service and I've had no trouble doing FFL transfers there. Excellent selection/pricing of guns and ammo too.

Other then that, I've had great service from Rob Blank and Metal Dog. Good service from Sportsman Supply, poor service at Reeds (and IMHO, their range has poor ventilation) and Target Masters (but range is OK), and the worst service at Gun Exchange.
Old 12-12-2016, 9:41 AM
Calguns Addict

I have not been to the range at GFOS but:

Are they crowded? ever any wait list?
How many bays do they have?
Do they allow magnum handguns such as 500 S&W?
Max range 25 yards?
Do they have, uh, "target masters" clientele? (ie grossly unsafe behavior unchecked by anyone, if anything copied by range staff)
Old 12-13-2016, 9:31 AM

GFOS: Large range, good ventilation and YES, they allow 500 S&W, AR's and AR pistols! You can shoot almost anything there!

Much more "professional" clientele. Much better than Target Masters. Yes, they can get busy, but I've never had to wait more than 20 minutes. But most of the time when I go, there is no wait.

You'll have to check with them on the number of bays and max distance. 25 yards sounds right, but I'm not sure.

Only negative (in my opinion) is targets are more expensive. No 25 cent targets like Target Masters.
Old 01-04-2017, 2:42 PM

Near where I live - Sportsmen's Supply - Campbell

They've been around forever and have an awesome staff. They can get very busy however and space can get tight. However they have a on sight gunsmith there as well.

I bought my 1911 there, and they went out their way to order the specific Les Baer I wanted.

To and from work - Reed's - Santa Clara

I can't say anything bad about these guys, sure they make you wait sometimes, but its understandable if there's only two people trying to manage everything at that given time.

I go there all the time for target practice. Enjoyed going there so I wanted to give them my business and bought my 9mm from them.

By my work - Bay Area Gun Vault - Mountain View

Very friendly and knowledgeable staff, they have a great inventory of parts and accessories. I bought both my AR's from them!
Old 01-04-2017, 2:50 PM
Veteran Member

MPARMS for PPT all day...... only place to to go. Can order what you need also. In and out in 10 minutes.
Old 01-09-2017, 2:28 AM
30 Caliber Magazine Clip
CGN Contributor

Farwest Photography for PPT all day. He's there on weekdays and on weekends by appointment.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:42 PM

Last year I went to Target Masters a few times to shoot, and kept hearing the staff say the M1As would not be on the shelves next year and were being banned. My dad call them out, and I continued to hear the same "M1As are being banned" from friends who also went to Target Masters.

I went into Target Masters a few days ago to look around, and still found the M1As on the wall. What a bunch of crocks. With the lying and no support for the petitions last year, I am reluctant to come back.
Old 01-10-2017, 1:49 AM
Calguns Addict

you don't go because of a low information counter employee insisting on false information? That you (your dad) chose to argue about when you could have said "OK, whatever" and move on?

I would have thought you wouldn't go because you were tired of getting muzzle swept by the employees renting out guns, and tired of getting muzzle swept by loaded AR-15's by gang bangers and facebook junkies in the bays (no you are not supposed to shoot 223 there, people do anyways), and waiting for 15 minutes before someone behind the counter will give you the time of day (all while muzzle sweeping you handing a rental gun to someone else) to hand you a box of 22 to buy for $6-10. Which you need to fill out your name and address before paying the six bucks.

There are ALOT of reasons not to go to target masters.

The only good thing about target masters is that they keep the riff raff out of reeds. Reeds will become a real swamp when target masters finally gets closed down and all the gang bangers and facebook weenies need a place to go shoot. Decend on reeds like a zombie horde.

Last edited by Whiterabbit; 01-10-2017 at 1:51 AM..
Old 01-10-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
you don't go because of a low information counter employee insisting on false information? That you (your dad) chose to argue about when you could have said "OK, whatever" and move on?
Actually, Targetmasters had signage posted up stating that M1As, Mini-14s, and Mini-30s would be illegal in 2017 and they wouldn't be selling them, so it wasn't just a case of an individual employee making unknowledgable statements, it was company policy to scare people into buying them.
Old 01-10-2017, 4:06 PM
Calguns Addict

My response remains the same: F them, they can go to heck, and if you spend even one second arguing with anyone there, then it's on you for dignifying their behavior by even entering their store.

Enjoy being their patron. I will bet that one day after a strong if experiences as you are sharing now, you too will decide to simply never go back. No matter what.
Old 01-11-2017, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post

I would have thought you wouldn't go because you were tired of getting muzzle swept by the employees renting out guns, and tired of getting muzzle swept by loaded AR-15's by gang bangers and facebook junkies in the bays (no you are not supposed to shoot 223 there, people do anyways), and waiting for 15 minutes before someone behind the counter will give you the time of day (all while muzzle sweeping you handing a rental gun to someone else) to hand you a box of 22 to buy for $6-10. Which you need to fill out your name and address before paying the six bucks.

There are ALOT of reasons not to go to target masters.

The only good thing about target masters is that they keep the riff raff out of reeds. Reeds will become a real swamp when target masters finally gets closed down and all the gang bangers and facebook weenies need a place to go shoot. Decend on reeds like a zombie horde.
Can shoot 223 there, have to use their ammo. I agree, a lot of reasons exist to not go to Target Masters. I stated only some of the reasons.
Old 01-11-2017, 3:56 PM
Calguns Addict

new policy if you can shoot 223 there. They still wouldn't let me shoot anything more powerful than a 45 colt last time I checked, admittedly years ago.

shooting 223 at 25 yards but not allowing, say, 500 S&W in a 5" barrel iron sighted revolver is stupid.
Old 03-25-2017, 6:39 PM

don't ever go to reeds to buy a firearm. the worst customer service!
Old 03-25-2017, 9:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Disagree. About the only store i would buy a local new firearm from (aka not a ppt or out of state transfer)
Old 03-25-2017, 10:05 PM
CGN Contributor

Metal dog all the way if you are in the south bay.Good peeps.

Reeds ...equals Run ...the way they treat new shooters / peeps that come there to rent firearms is so horrible. They are more than happy to shove a training class in newbie faces. A total disgrace to the 2A movement . imho.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:07 AM

Wow, I've bought 2 guns at TargetMasters now and haven't really noticed the issues that others are complaining about. Sure it is busy and the paperwork takes forever, but that seems true in all the local stores. The clientele is on a par with Reeds, where I have also shot. Tmaster pricing seems definitely better than Reeds and BAGV. I have also discussed buying an M1A or Mini14 with 2 or 3 members of staff there, and no mention was made of a possible ban, and I didn't feel pressured or rushed to make a purchase.

Handgun inventory is very spotty at all the local shops, but that is the roster's fault.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:50 AM
Calguns Addict

TM does tend to be cheaper. But the clientele of TM is NOT the same as the clientele at Reeds.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:56 PM

Nobody mentioned David at Farwest Photography? My go to guy in that area.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2017, 7:59 PM

This thread is a wealth of information to new shooters in the area like me. Thanks, all!!
Old 08-08-2017, 8:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Just shop online and use Rob Blank (RMB).
Low transfer fees, great guy, stellar reputation, and helped make OLL a reality here.
#heroFFL
The architects of the assault weapon bans ... are simply trying to fight the Culture War. And we can't win, not in California anyway because you guys, the ones with the most to lose, refuse to do what you need to do to win the Culture Wars, which is to make Calguns and the gun rights community a truly big tent and stop driving people away simply because they are different from you.
Crime rate per 100k people
General population: 3,817
Police officers: 108
Legal CCW: 18
Old 10-12-2017, 1:33 AM

I'll add another vote for Mount Pleasant Arms (good service and good prices).
In contrast, I found Bay Area Gun Vault and Reed's to be over-priced.

KT
Old 11-05-2017, 12:03 AM

Bay Area Gun Vault: Recently did a PPT and was so pleased they just did it and didn't tell us to come back another day I went back and bought a used stock item. Was very impressed with the staff: knowledgeable and friendly but can't speak to new stock prices.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:42 PM

Been to target masters, and reeds. I would never go back to reeds just because of the staff I dealt with inquiring about a rifle. Apparently I need to not walk in after work in my work clothes because it has paint stains on it. So I don't get made fun of looking at expensive guns I can't ever buy because I'm not dressed the part. F that guy.

I also rented two 40's that night along with my personal 9mm. Went shooting to compare what feels right. The rentals are abused. Like their range. Not even a good way to test out for new toy. No thanks

Target masters was better but still out dated. It was policed by their knowledgeable staff who thought a sign the was posted on the counter was a discounted firearm but it turns out it was a deal for parts for a pistol. I would recommend going when it's not busy. Like a weekday after 4pm.

As far as going looking for a firearm store in San Jose. I would suggest Milspec Armory. Great staff, very knowledgeable, no range but great info to learn from.
Old 12-07-2017, 8:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Very interesting. My experience is the absolute opposite. TM had rude personnel, they don't keep tabs on the unsafe behavior in their range, the max distance is less than 20 yards, and the stories of the buying process (guns or ammo) are numerous on this forum.

I'm sorry you had one bad experience at Reeds one time, but I suggest you keep going. You will find that experience in the minority of experiences. Whereas TM is a guaranteed poor experience.