Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 09-04-2012, 8:01 AM

I need your help people, what options do I have or what type of formal complain can I put in? Can I use my post here as prove? The lady at the desk said appointments were not issued until late March. I made mine 2-22-12 a day after I received my pack. I also have a private message from another Calgun member who made his appointment on 3-6 for an appointment date of 10-23. Is there anything I can do?

p.s. While talking to the lady I jumped on here to make sure I had the right month for my appointment. I casually explain to her I was on this site and she seemed upset at me mentioning Calguns.net><

Last edited by Warpath650; 09-04-2012 at 8:07 AM..
Old 09-04-2012, 8:25 AM

Default Waiting

Sorry to hear about the delay. It is doubtful that a formal complaint will help. Sounds as if there was a simple mix-up on their end. It happens. Joyce and the nice folks who work there do great work but are human just like the rest of us.

If you "dropped multiple four letter words" on the phone with the folks at employee resources, that would be a very, very bad thing. It's not clear from your post, but I hope you controlled yourself while on the phone and dropped the words after you hung up.

Trying to show them posts you made on an internet forum as "proof" isn't going to help anything.

Believe it or not, CalGuns doesn't have a very good reputation with many folks out there. I don't think it's the leadership here, nor is it CGF and the work they do (on the whole). In my opinion, it is the all to frequent posts by people who, well.... let's just say they aren't all that balanced.

My suggestion is to calm down, give it a week or so, then call back and see if there is anything they can do to get you in earlier. Remain calm and polite, even if they tell you that you need to wait until next year. Getting angry or emotional isn't going to help you. In fact, they may feel that you have anger issues and deny your application.

Please try and keep things in perspective. You and I may feel that being able to bear arms is a constitutional right. Unfortunately, the case law isn't quite there to support that yet. With any luck, we'll see a SCOTUS "bear" case in the next year or two that will make it very clear. Until then, SBCSO views it as a privelage that they can bestow, or not. Please keep that in mind, but also don't forget that they approve nearly everyone who applies. It's a matter of when, not if, unless you mess it up.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you asked for advice and I honestly feel that what I described is your best course of action.

Good luck.
Old 09-04-2012, 8:44 AM

I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear, all the F-bombs came after I was off the phone lol.

On another note, I thought I was beyond the age of crying like a little girl who just lost her favorite doll.
Old 09-04-2012, 9:00 AM

Default Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpath650 View Post
I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear, all the F-bombs came after I was off the phone lol.

On another note, I thought I was beyond the age of crying like a little girl who just lost her favorite doll.
That's excellent news. Glad to hear you controlled yourself on the phone. Now, you have nothing to overcome except the waiting.

I understand that you're disappointed. Heck, I would be to.

If it is any consolation, getting the actual permit is pretty anti-climatic. The clouds don't part, nor is there any lightening or thunder. There's a learning curve to carrying that we all go through. Heck, years on and I'm still changing out guns and holsters. Nothing works perfectly for me for all situations.

Before you know it, you'll be napping on the couch wearing your gun and it will become second nature.
Old 09-04-2012, 9:43 AM

I live up in Victorville and plan on going down to see Joyce and see if there is anything that can be done to help my case.

Shortly after I got off the phone I wondered if they get people from time to time trying to bypass the wait list with stories of " But I made my Appointment!"

I picked up my pack on 2-21-12 (it is stamped on the pack) and promptly posted the news on this thread. The fallowing day I made the appointment 2-22-12 and posted the good news here.

The day I picked up the CCW pack.

Quote:
Hi all! Long time lurker here. I just picked up my CCW application. I have read most post on it and Ijust want to make sure I'm doing it correctly. I lucked out both of my neighbors are LEO and we get along great and my boss is pro-gun

1- Make my appointment Asap, correct?
2- Should I have my LEO neighbors write my letters or should they be part of the 4 who they contact? Also, do they contact all four or is it random?

I guess that is all for now and thank you in advanced for the help.
Next day when I made the appointment.

Quote:
Just got my appointment... October
Message from a fellow CalGunner whose dates correlate with my story

Hello I saw your post about being out into october for your interview and being put on the "pest" list (thats what my wife called it lol). I did mine shortly after you on 3-6-12 and got appointment for 10-23. I was hopping you would let me know when you get in so I can count on maybe 1-5 cancelations after you as they told me my ref and utility bills can only be 90 days old so I havent gotten those yet. Im really excited and think about it everyday. I should have done this a long time ago and kick myself all the time . Thanks,
**** in Rancho Cuc.

So my last and only option is to beg Joyce to take pity and allow me to get an earlier date. I have all of my paperwork and letters ready to go. Wish me luck!
Old 09-08-2012, 1:08 PM

Got the call to take the range class on the 22nd, finally.
Old 09-08-2012, 3:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychGuy274 View Post
SBC is 'virtually' virtual shall issue so you have a fairly good chance of getting a CCW if you apply. HOWEVER, they do have a lot of illegal requirements. I am personally working on this matter with the CGF and I suggest you wait until I get in touch with them over these issues. Of course, if you don't mind the illegal requirements you could just apply now. Again though, I suggest you wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardW56 View Post
SB249 and other time sensitive requirements in some of the cases that had been stayed pending Nordyke's final resolution demanded immediate attention. That was a temporary pause in Sunshine and Compliance initiatives...

There is a conference call next week to get things back on track and ramped up again...
Whats the update? threads about two years old with none. What has happened? What is going to happen?
Old 09-13-2012, 7:59 PM
Calguns Addict

UPDATE: We are seeking new applicants who reside in cities patrolled by police departments (not contracted sheriffs) who can help us challenging their "get denied by the city first" policy before being allowed application to the sheriff.

In Chicago, a patriot named Shawn Gowder, despite being without a handgun in their home for nearly two years while his federal court case was proceeding, won in US District Court to strike down their "violent misdemeanor" law as vague. See more about that: Gowder v. City of Chicago press release announcement from Ammoland

We seek NEW applicants who can do the same as Mr. Gowder. San Bernardino is doing numerous illegal things which is unlawfully and illegally suppressing the application pool. There should be 28,000 licenses in San Bernardino, but there are only around 4-5K. The reason is because of the illegal things which frustrate people and causes them not to apply.

Please LTC Volunteer. The more people we get who are willing to challenge, the better.
Old 09-13-2012, 9:15 PM

I may have posted this question previously in the wrong place, my apologies. I applied and successfully received my CCW in Shasta county about 18 months ago, it was issued for the entire state or "within California" as stated on the permit. Is it going to be difficult to renew now that I am in San Bernardino county and what is the process? I assumed the "hard part" was going to get it in the first place, and renewal would not be so challenging. I currently live in Victorville. Do I have to apply there first? Will I automatically be denied?
Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supwicha View Post
I may have posted this question previously in the wrong place, my apologies. I applied and successfully received my CCW in Shasta county about 18 months ago, it was issued for the entire state or "within California" as stated on the permit. Is it going to be difficult to renew now that I am in San Bernardino county and what is the process? I assumed the "hard part" was going to get it in the first place, and renewal would not be so challenging. I currently live in Victorville. Do I have to apply there first? Will I automatically be denied?
The lousy part of California law on the subject is that you are a new applicant so you have to go through the entire process.

To answer your question, Victorville is a contract city with the Sheriff's Dept so you can apply directly to the Sheriff. As you already have a CCW in another county and are just relocating, you shouldn't have any issues with the Sheriff's illegal 1 year residency requirement.... hopefully. But that might be a good one for CGF to get involved with if they are already looking to deal with other illegal requirements.

You should have no problem getting a new CCW in SBC, but they have a heck of a backlog for applicants. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Apply as soon as posibile.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:09 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
UPDATE: We are seeking new applicants who reside in cities patrolled by police departments (not contracted sheriffs) who can help us challenging their "get denied by the city first" policy before being allowed application to the sheriff.

We seek NEW applicants who can do the same as Mr. Gowder. San Bernardino is doing numerous illegal things which is unlawfully and illegally suppressing the application pool. There should be 28,000 licenses in San Bernardino, but there are only around 4-5K. The reason is because of the illegal things which frustrate people and causes them not to apply.

Please LTC Volunteer. The more people we get who are willing to challenge, the better.
I've volunteered twice way back when the first requests were posted. Zero response from anyone. I also happen to live in the city of San Bernardino, which has their own P.D. If you're serious about needing volunteers, let me know. I'll submit my info again. I've been sitting on my application forever, waiting for the "time to apply" post in this thread. I'm beginning to think that that post will not be coming anytime soon.

Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymz View Post
I've volunteered twice way back when the first requests were posted. Zero response from anyone. I also happen to live in the city of San Bernardino, which has their own P.D. If you're serious about needing volunteers, let me know. I'll submit my info again. I've been sitting on my application forever, waiting for the "time to apply" post in this thread. I'm beginning to think that that post will not be coming anytime soon.
Incoming PM
Old 09-14-2012, 3:59 PM

I volunteered when the first requests went out as well...not a peep

There's 3 of us in Phelan-we contract with the Sheriff so no local PD. Been sitting on my ap for a year or so now...
No real interest in jumping through all the "Hoops", or at least references.
Old 09-15-2012, 8:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

When qualifing what's the distance? Is there a mag change? If wheel gun what reloader can you use? can someone walk through the process.
Old 09-15-2012, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikr4jc View Post
When qualifing what's the distance? Is there a mag change? If wheel gun what reloader can you use? can someone walk through the process.
10 rounds at 5 yards with a mag change , no time limit anywhere in the black on a B27 target. Just did mine about 3 months ago, don't think much has change.
Old 09-16-2012, 6:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So is it like 5 rnds drop mag reload 5 rnds?
Old 09-16-2012, 9:22 AM

Quote:
So is it like 5 rnds drop mag reload 5 rnds?
Or 6 and 4, 7 and 3, 9 and 1.... They just want a mag change somewhere in the 10 rounds
Old 09-16-2012, 5:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks! They sent out the questionaires to refs and work so hopefully my range date comes soon
Old 09-16-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks! They sent out the questionaires to refs and work so hopefully my range date comes soon
I think my range day came around 3 months after the references we're contacted. Total time from start to finish was around 8 months and 17 days. Hang in there.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well then I guess I got time to practice
Old 09-19-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymz View Post
I also volunteered at the time that it was requested, but got nothing in response. I got tired of waiting so i put in my application, Interview date is the 25th of September. I live in Barstow which has its own PD, but I was told by Joyce that I "DID NOT" need a refusal and that she would process my wife and I. So I might be of assistance, but am not willing to discuss the details on the public forum.
Old 09-22-2012, 9:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was cleaning out the garage when my neighbor came by and told me the sheriff stopped by during asking questions about me. I asked him if they told him why they were checking. He said no, the officer said either i was apply with the SD or a licence or permit. I told him that was good, he's a good neighbor so I told him what it was for. Now he's going to apply. He said the officer card said sheriff / cornor. He thought that was strange. Hopefully Im getting close.
Old 09-24-2012, 5:12 PM

Quote:
He said the officer card said sheriff / cornor. He thought that was strange. Hopefully Im getting close.
The sheriff/coroner is the same department, that's why it said both, if that's what you're referring to.

Last edited by Steph; 09-24-2012 at 5:58 PM..
Old 10-04-2012, 9:05 AM

I might soon be moving into SB county into a City that has its own PD. I'll join in on the cause if and when I do. Also, giving this page a much needed bump!

www.theshootersblog.com
Old 10-08-2012, 11:23 AM

Well guys, Ive got my interview tomorrow. Any advice for a new applicant in the interview process? I made sure all my "I"'s are dotted and my "T"'s are crossed.

On a side note, I have a major midterm for school tomorrow at around an hour and a half after my interview is supposed to start. Do any of you know more or less how long the interview is from start to finish? I am hoping to get there early so I can get it started early. Thanks again and wish me luck
Old 10-08-2012, 12:05 PM

Question,

The next person that goes in for there interview can you ask then this question?

“Am I permitted to carry a firearm concealed with my permit if I have to go into the County Sheriffs Office to conduct business, such as add or remove a firearm from my permit? Or is it prohibited?”

I have yet to hear an answer on this question. If you know the answer who was the officer and what where you told about this practice?

Thanks,

Doc

"Never leave your Cave without your Club……."

Old 10-08-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Monkeywrench View Post
Well guys, Ive got my interview tomorrow.
Wrench,

Hit them up on this if you would be so kind.

Advice, just be honest and give simple answers to their questions. You never want to create another question with the answer you give. It should take about an hour to 1-1/2 from the time you walk in the door till the interview is over. That's about how log it took me.

Oh crap I forgot about the Life Scan finger printing, Give yourself another 40 minutes to an hour depending on the wait.........

Good luck

"Never leave your Cave without your Club……."

Last edited by DocClark340; 10-08-2012 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: add-on 2
Old 10-08-2012, 1:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My interveiw was at 10:30 when i was done livescan was closed for lunch so i had to wait till 1 for it to reopen luckly i signed in before i left so i was first in line after lunch
Old 10-08-2012, 1:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Relax, I was the same way, everyone on here was saying relax take it easy, be real and open. It will go by fast.
Old 10-08-2012, 6:08 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. @ Doc Clark, I will ask for you. Just getting my slacks pressed and shirt stains out. Ill let you guys know how it went tomorrow.
Old 10-09-2012, 9:41 AM

Well, I had to reschedule because I had the wrong address in my liscence and I needed a copy of my rental agreement instead of the 2 page copy of my lease. I will be back in 2 weeks. I was nervous. I always get nervous in situations like this. I almost can't help it.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Monkeywrench View Post
Well, I had to reschedule because I had the wrong address in my liscence and I needed a copy of my rental agreement instead of the 2 page copy of my lease. I will be back in 2 weeks. I was nervous. I always get nervous in situations like this. I almost can't help it.
Yeah, sticklers for detail. I'm like you, I get nervous over every kind of interview. But two minutes with the lady and I felt at ease. As long as you're not a criminal, there is nothing to worry about. Patience, in this case, is rewarding. Take the hurdles as they come, and before you know it, you'll be carrying!
Old 10-14-2012, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocClark340 View Post
Question,

The next person that goes in for there interview can you ask then this question?

“Am I permitted to carry a firearm concealed with my permit if I have to go into the County Sheriffs Office to conduct business, such as add or remove a firearm from my permit? Or is it prohibited?”

I have yet to hear an answer on this question. If you know the answer who was the officer and what where you told about this practice?

Thanks,

Doc

The answer is NO! Told by the officer (Sarah) the person that does the background checks and teaches the renewal classes. She was very firm on this in the renewal class.
Old 10-14-2012, 9:54 PM

If you are adding a firearm to your permit, they will want you to have it unloaded and in a container for inspection....otherwise, do not enter premises with your firearm....common sense.
Old 10-14-2012, 9:57 PM

Posted this elsewhere, here goes. I have a valid CCW in SB county, might be relocating to LA county. Can I transfer it to LA county, or will LA county treat me like a criminal and conficate my firearms?
Old 10-15-2012, 7:01 PM

You will have to turn in your permit. You loose your right to carry because LA will not issue you one. Don't relocate and commute!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:05 PM

When is the next firearms class, does anyone know??? My application was approved over a month ago but I'm still waiting for the next class.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:16 PM

So some things have changed...

My son picked up an ap today. I told him to bring ID but he didn't need it, even though he took it out.

They didn't take his name. The AP is not numbered.

They asked him how long he lived in the county. He said a year and a half, and they handed him one saying "here ya go".

They did tell him his ID would need to be remade to show his home address instead of a PO box.

I guess my problem with this is, the State does this automatically out here (rural), and the PD when running your license or ID have your actual residence already. Some folks put a PO box on their ID intentionally. Stalker victims do this from what I hear.

What's the problem, and what do we do about it?
Old 10-19-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinMr2 View Post
So some things have changed...

My son picked up an ap today. I told him to bring ID but he didn't need it, even though he took it out.

They didn't take his name. The AP is not numbered.

They asked him how long he lived in the county. He said a year and a half, and they handed him one saying "here ya go".

They did tell him his ID would need to be remade to show his home address instead of a PO box.

I guess my problem with this is, the State does this automatically out here (rural), and the PD when running your license or ID have your actual residence already. Some folks put a PO box on their ID intentionally. Stalker victims do this from what I hear.

What's the problem, and what do we do about it?

Are they still requiring the 7 references and additional questionaire at the interview?