Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: Favorite Tactical Firearms Training outfit(s) in SoCal
Academi/U.S. Training Center/Blackwater 7 4.38%
FOG (Falcon Operations Group) 41 25.63%
FTA (Firearms Training Associates) 14 8.75%
GGT (Grey Group Training) 15 9.38%
ITTS (International Tactical Training Seminars) 25 15.63%
TAC-1 (Tactical Advanced Combat) 16 10.00%
TASC (The Academy of Saint Crispian) 60 37.50%
TFTT (Tactical Firearms Training Team) 14 8.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2012, 8:04 PM

I just got from T.A.S.C. today and have taken his other courses and it's been hands down the best classes i have taken compared to others that I will not mention. +1 for Stan. Great instructor, great guy.

Be prepared to do ALOT of shooting!
Old 02-12-2012, 8:04 PM

I just got from T.A.S.C. today and have taken his other courses and it's been hands down the best classes i have taken compared to others that I will not mention. +1 for Stan. Great instructor, great guy.

Be prepared to do ALOT of shooting!
Old 02-22-2012, 1:24 PM

fog
Old 04-03-2012, 7:15 PM

I vote for TASC- Stan is a great instructor with a great background and teaching skills. I have a more extensive review in the TASC thread as well http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...=467279&page=5, post 170 and another one below that. The prices are great and Stan was very enthusiastic about his students learning. Would recommend!!
Old 05-03-2012, 5:12 PM

A few more outfits that I've tried recently except for Mossie Tactics which will be in August:
  1. Covered 6 (C6)
  2. Phoenix Tactical Solutions (PTS)
  3. Dynamic Training Concepts (DTC)
  4. Mossie Tactics (MT)

I have personally trained with all 12 outfits (the original 8 + the above 4) except for MT.

Last edited by ramzar; 05-03-2012 at 6:11 PM..
Old 05-04-2012, 8:38 AM

What were your thoughts on C6, PTS and DTC.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempfer View Post
What were your thoughts on C6, PTS and DTC.
DTC was actually from March 26, 2011 (last year but I had forgotten to mention them before) and it was called "Intermediate to Advanced Training for IDPA Competitors". A lot of shooters and we got good tips on how to cut our time as well as on the classifier.

C6 was an "Advanced Tactical Handgun" and it was great (AAR). They look very promising.

PTS was a half day of "Close Contact/Intermediate Distance Class" and it was fairly good with a lot of repetitions. Would like to go to an advanced handgun with higher caliber of shooters when they have it to judge them better.

Another of the recent ones I attended for the first time was FTA and the "Advanced Pistol - Low Light & Night Shooting" had just too many shooters who were not advanced.
Old 05-04-2012, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzar View Post
DTC was actually from March 26, 2011 (last year but I had forgotten to mention them before) and it was called "Intermediate to Advanced Training for IDPA Competitors". A lot of shooters and we got good tips on how to cut our time as well as on the classifier.

C6 was an "Advanced Tactical Handgun" and it was great (AAR). They look very promising.

PTS was a half day of "Close Contact/Intermediate Distance Class" and it was fairly good with a lot of repetitions. Would like to go to an advanced handgun with higher caliber of shooters when they have it to judge them better.

Another of the recent ones I attended for the first time was FTA and the "Advanced Pistol - Low Light & Night Shooting" had just too many shooters who were not advanced.
Hi Ramzar. Thank you for adding PTS to your list. Just to clarify...the class was not advertised as an advanced class...it was an introduction to "close contact" and "intermediate" shooting. I look forward to seeing you in one of our advanced sessions. Have a great weekend.
Old 05-04-2012, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixTacticalSolutions View Post
Hi Ramzar. Thank you for adding PTS to your list. Just to clarify...the class was not advertised as an advanced class...it was an introduction to "close contact" and "intermediate" shooting. I look forward to seeing you in one of our advanced sessions. Have a great weekend.
Sounds good.
Old 05-04-2012, 2:42 PM

Where is ADE on the list

Old 05-04-2012, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta Control View Post
Where is ADE on the list

Took several classes with them back in 2007 before I knew any better. I confessed to my sins.

Enough has been said about ADE.

Personally, NOT recommended.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:12 AM

Has anyone taken any Executive Protection courses from Covered6? How do they compare/rate to any other socal training facility for Executive Protection courses? Additionally, what about their Advanced Pistol courses?
Old 05-05-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Has anyone taken any Executive Protection courses from Covered6? How do they compare/rate to any other socal training facility for Executive Protection courses? Additionally, what about their Advanced Pistol courses?
Have not taken the EP courses at C6.

I did take a 1-day "Advanced Tactical Handgun" with C6 in Feb. 2012 and it was great (click here for the AAR).
Old 05-05-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Have not taken the EP courses at C6.

I did take a 1-day "Advanced Tactical Handgun" with C6 in Feb. 2012 and it was great (click here for the AAR).
Thanks for your great insight on their class! Well done!
Old 05-05-2012, 7:01 PM

In February I had my first two full days of instruction with TASC/Stan at Prado. The all day CAT 303 is well worth your time and money. Look at it as a quick but detailed pre-deployment carbine & pistol exercise. Stan loads you up with an email before the class explaining everything with PP slides. You start the day with warmup with primary and secondary weapons at various distances to include turns and moving while shooting. Then, you get into moving, shooting and communicating as 2 and 4 man teams. Moving forth, back and lateral based on range (35 yards) to target. Assessment of ACE (ammo, casualty, equipment) at LOA (limit of advance). We also did various team movement with barricades.
Old 11-16-2012, 8:28 PM

A TASC video you may find useful to judge how Stan is as an instructor:

http://youtu.be/uiXsPKqg3uw:
Old 11-17-2012, 9:34 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I'm surprised nobody has commented about the TFTT course. It's one of the most expensive but seems like a fun class but maybe they are just doing better about editing videos together
Old 11-17-2012, 1:39 PM

wondering what will Grey Groups offer for 2013... their schedule hasn't update yet.
Old 11-17-2012, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugiahua View Post
wondering what will Grey Groups offer for 2013... their schedule hasn't update yet.
Almost all of their top tier instructors (see list below) moved to Alias Training:

Larry Vickers
Ken Hackathorn
Pat McNamara
Kyle Defoor
Mike Pannone
Northern Red
Rob Leatham
John McPhee
Dave Harrington
Old 11-17-2012, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Almost all of their top tier instructors (see list below) moved to Alias Training:

Larry Vickers
Ken Hackathorn
Pat McNamara
Kyle Defoor
Mike Pannone
Northern Red
Rob Leatham
John McPhee
Dave Harrington
Unfortunetly none of them are scheduled up in NorCal this upcoming year via Alias' site.

Vickers and Vogel are coming back to RR&GC and I think RB1 is tenatively scheduled at Chabot this summer but that's it for the top tier classes up here I've seen so far.
Old 11-17-2012, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atekhed View Post
Unfortunetly none of them are scheduled up in NorCal this upcoming year via Alias' site.

Vickers and Vogel are coming back to RR&GC and I think RB1 is tenatively scheduled at Chabot this summer but that's it for the top tier classes up here I've seen so far.
yeah, I don't see any of the classes fit into my schedule based on current version.
Old 12-03-2012, 8:03 PM
Banned

The Academy of Saint Crispian! Great owner who really cares and well run classes. Basic to advanced shooters everyone walkes away feel more confident.
Old 12-29-2012, 6:27 PM

Tacfire ( www.tacfire.com ) has excellent training, though lately the classes have been limited, looking for a new "home" range.
Old 12-30-2012, 1:33 PM

Just a side note about DTC or Dynamic Training Concepts. We have intentionally not offered tactical style classes to the general public because I disagreed with what seems to be the current popular trends. Taking classes teaching military style tactics while fun really doesn't prepare you for a conflict on the street, at least not here in the USA. At least it doesnt prepare you for surviving the criminal and civil aftermath of a lethal or near lethal encounter. Instead we have focused on providing competition based classes, usually by request, to small groups of competitors. We would only open them up to the general public to fill up a class.

Recently however, due to ongoing demand we are going to start offering our "Street Survival" class to the general public. It is based on what we believe are the needed skills to survive a violent encounter on the streets, not the battlefield. It will include a mixture of empty hand defensive techniques, basic responses to an edged weapon and chemical sprays, the Trueller concept, weapons retention and takeaways, and of course firearms and the skills needed to win an encounter from 0 - 10 yards. This, at least for the foreseeable future, will be our sole tactical offering to the general public. All classes will be restricted to a maxi of 8 students.

We rarely advertise our classes, at most a small post on the website, so if you have an interest please contact us. Often times classes are sold out before they are even scheduled, usually by the individual requesting them.
Old 12-30-2012, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hostetter View Post

Recently however, due to ongoing demand we are going to start offering our "Street Survival" class to the general public. It is based on what we believe are the needed skills to survive a violent encounter on the streets, not the battlefield. It will include a mixture of empty hand defensive techniques, basic responses to an edged weapon and chemical sprays, the Trueller concept, weapons retention and takeaways, and of course firearms and the skills needed to win an encounter from 0 - 10 yards. This, at least for the foreseeable future, will be our sole tactical offering to the general public. All classes will be restricted to a maxi of 8 students.

We rarely advertise our classes, at most a small post on the website, so if you have an interest please contact us. Often times classes are sold out before they are even scheduled, usually by the individual requesting them.
Sold. Can I get on your email list? Don't think I am even from that one class.
Old 12-30-2012, 3:01 PM

Send me an email at bob@dynamictrainingconcepts.com and we will get a list started. The first one is already sold out, but if the interest is there we can schedule another for late Jan or early Feb.
Old 12-30-2012, 3:01 PM

I've taken courses at Academi and one not on your list, Aegis Academy in north county san diego.

Guys are great, I've taken two classes with them. Check 'em out. www.aegisacademy.com
Competition is where you find out you're slow, can't see well, are not accurate, have poor gun handling, can't visualize, have equipment that doesn't work and either accept it OR DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
USPSA TY82278
IDPA A54426
Old 12-30-2012, 3:27 PM
Banned

Which of these schools or do all these schools have hands on qualification tests to prove a student has mastered the material at one level before progressing to the next level? OR is cold hard cash and a clear schedule all that is required to progress to the next level??

If your school does not have a solid, non negotiable vetting process does that worry you are you progresses to more dynamic and challenging training levels?
Old 12-30-2012, 6:32 PM

Ram, I think it is nearing time for a 2013 version of this thread.
Old 12-31-2012, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatt View Post
I've taken courses at Academi and one not on your list, Aegis Academy in north county san diego.

Guys are great, I've taken two classes with them. Check 'em out. www.aegisacademy.com
I don't see any Advanced Pistol classes being scheduled just a lot of Basic Pistol.

Great prerequisite to take Advanced Pistol by passing their Advanced Course Qualification on day one (doesn't say start holstered but it probably is):

Quote:
  • 35 Yards - 5 rounds - Plate - 15 seconds
  • 25 Yards - Standing (3) to kneeling (2) - 5 rounds, 10 inch circle - 10 seconds
  • 15 - 7 Yards - Failure drill X 2
  • 7 - 15 Yards - Failure drill X 2
  • 10 Yards - Malfunction (Blind), 2 rounds each, 8 inch circle - Type one 3 seconds, Type two - 4 seconds, Type three - 10 seconds
  • 10 Yards - Failure Drill X 2 - 4 seconds
  • 10 Yards - Failure Drill X 2 - Lateral Movement
  • 7 Yards - Failure Drill X 2 - 4 seconds ea
  • 5 Yards - Head shot X 4 - 2 Seconds ea
Old 02-28-2013, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Pick as many as you want and if you wish tell us why...

Personally, I was more interested in classes being held locally in SoCal and these are the outfits that I have either taken classes with or will be doing so within the next few weeks. If I left some worthy ones out I plead ignorance. There are some that I've taken classes with that I personally deem unworthy to be on this list and thus you won't find them here. After all, it's my list...

By the way, Grey Group Training is not strictly a firearms training outfit but does arrange, promote and bring some of the best instructors or outfits to SoCal. For example, Jason Falla, Ken Hackathorn, Larry Vickers, Mike Pannone, TigerSwan, Pat McNamara, Northern Red, Kyle Defoor, Super Dave Harrington, etc.

Here are the websites for the various outfits listed:

1. Academi/U.S. Training Center/Blackwater
  2. FOG (Falcon Operations Group)
  3. FTA (Firearms Training Associates)
  4. GGT (Grey Group Training)
  5. ITTS (International Tactical Training Seminars)
  6. TAC-1 (Tactical Advanced Combat)
  7. TASC (The Academy of Saint Crispian)
  8. TFTT (Tactical Firearms Training Team)

Note that some of the instructors that used to be marketed by Grey Group Training are now handled by Alias Training & Security Services

A few more outfits that I've tried since the original post:
  1. Covered 6 (C6)
  2. Phoenix Tactical Solutions (PTS)
  3. Dynamic Training Concepts (DTC)
  4. Mossie Tactics (MT)
You need to update your list to include WOTG.

"Somewhere, Something Incredible is Waiting to be Known" -Carl Sagan

"We don’t rise to the level of our expectations – we fall to the level of our training” -Archilochus, Greek Soldier
Old 02-28-2013, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiescanlearn View Post
You need to update your list to include WOTG.
Indeed. There's the rub.

Obviously, enough time has transpired to merit an update. However, what constitutes "local"? Twice a year visit? Additionally, I should not be a final arbiter of inclusiveness even though I attend a wider variety than most.
Old 03-02-2013, 6:42 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I would like to be considered for the list as well since I am very much local!

http://www.5arrowstactical.com/
Follow us on Twitter here. YouTube channel available here. Like us on Facebook here. and on Instagram here.
CA DOJ Instructor, NRA Instructor, Multi-State CCW Instructor
UT / FL / VA / OR / AZ CCW Instructor
Semper Fidelis
Ps 144:1
Old 03-02-2013, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin2 View Post
Which of these schools or do all these schools have hands on qualification tests to prove a student has mastered the material at one level before progressing to the next level? OR is cold hard cash and a clear schedule all that is required to progress to the next level??

If your school does not have a solid, non negotiable vetting process does that worry you are you progresses to more dynamic and challenging training levels?
Unfortunately MOST DO NOT.
Cash is king and F the ones who are advanced, thats the norm at alot of the "advanced" courses I have found.