Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Question So it's no big secret... women have a weird stance while shooting...

Is there anything I can read or watch that goes into the proper way for a woman to stand while shooting? I definitely need help while shooting a handgun, I don't often get to shoot a rifle but if there is info on both, that would be great!

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Have you looked at Kathy Jackson's Cornered Cat article?

http://www.corneredcat.com/Basics/stance.aspx

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-22-2009, 1:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

When back home one of my jobs is with Firearms Training Assiciates. www.FTATV.com
The students that have the hardest stances to correct tend to be women. I suggest taking some of their classes maybe even just one. We have female instructors there and if you do get a male, we work on correcting you and NOT get grabby or creepy.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:46 AM
C3 Leader

Are you shooting a handgun or a rifle?

The stance I have depends on the pistol I'm shooting and which competition I'm in. For example, I'm not going to have an International Bullseye stance if I'm shooting at steel plates and moving through a course.

The weight I put on which foot also depends on if I'm shooting rimfire or centerfire.

Like everything, it takes time and patience to find where you're comfortable. The main thing is to have fun and continue your quest to blow up stuff!
Old 11-24-2009, 11:50 AM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog5150 View Post
When back home one of my jobs is with Firearms Training Assiciates. www.FTATV.com
The students that have the hardest stances to correct tend to be women. I suggest taking some of their classes maybe even just one. We have female instructors there and if you do get a male, we work on correcting you and NOT get grabby or creepy.
Your driving course looks like a lot of fun!
Old 11-24-2009, 12:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyrlp10 View Post
Are you shooting a handgun or a rifle?

The stance I have depends on the pistol I'm shooting and which competition I'm in. For example, I'm not going to have an International Bullseye stance if I'm shooting at steel plates and moving through a course.

The weight I put on which foot also depends on if I'm shooting rimfire or centerfire.

Like everything, it takes time and patience to find where you're comfortable. The main thing is to have fun and continue your quest to blow up stuff!

My biggest concern is my stance with handguns. Although I do shoot rifles off and on, but again, how to stand while shooting a handgun is my main focus.
Old 11-24-2009, 4:13 PM
Calguns Addict

i notice you haven't had any offers yet, so...if you're interested, i'll help you straighten out your stance.

i'm not a woman, but i do teach handgun shooting...or at least i did before the economy took a downturn. i'll throw in the session for free as a favor to a new calgunner...if you'll cover the range fees

i was in LE for 28 years and i've been teaching with Bruce Gray, all over the country, for the last 3 years www.GraygunsTraining.com

now i go into my Ron Popeil spiel: if you're happy, you can tell some friends and maybe i can cultivate some new income production

Last edited by 9mmepiphany; 11-24-2009 at 4:17 PM..
Old 11-24-2009, 4:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
i notice you haven't had any offers yet, so...if you're interested, i'll help you straighten out your stance.

i'm not a woman, but i do teach handgun shooting...or at least i did before the economy took a downturn. i'll throw in the session for free as a favor to a new calgunner...if you'll cover the range fees

i was in LE for 28 years and i've been teaching with Bruce Gray, all over the country, for the last 3 years www.GraygunsTraining.com

now i go into my Ron Popeil spiel: if you're happy, you can tell some friends and maybe i can cultivate some new income production
Where are you located?
Old 11-24-2009, 5:24 PM
Calguns Addict

i live in sacramento, near elk grove
Old 11-25-2009, 10:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
i live in sacramento, near elk grove
Well you're fairly close then! Which range do you prefer?
Old 11-25-2009, 11:14 AM
C3 Leader

NorCal, glad you have someone available to help you out who is close by. These two ranges may be a bit far for you, but I found them to be very helpful to new shooters, plus they offer classes on both pistol and rifle:

Richmond Rod & Gun (thru On Target)
Coyote Rifle & Pistol in San Mateo

Best of luck to you!
Old 11-25-2009, 1:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Which range do you prefer?
it doesn't matter to me...it depends on where you're coming from, i think i've shot at all the ranges (lincoln, cordova, ione, mangan,gun room) in the area, except Yolo Sportsman...i'm retired so i'm pretty flexible

out doors might be better than indoors, except for the weather, because it's easier to hear and the lighting is better (getting older is making sights harder to see)...Mangan is a nice indoor range but is only available Monday and Thursday evenings

the last person i took out was to the Gun Room at Grantline and Hwy-99

for stance and grip it doesn't make much difference. having good light is more important when dealing with sight alignment and trigger control.

presentation from the holster, shooting at speed and mag changes work better outdoors too

Last edited by 9mmepiphany; 11-25-2009 at 1:20 PM..
Old 11-25-2009, 5:08 PM

I'm local, and have fired on all the Sacramento County ranges listed, and a few that no longer exist.

The main issue I see with stance, Weaver or Isosceles, for men and women, is people leaning back.

Slightly bend your knees, and lean forward. Get on the balls of your feet. Act like you are trying to poke the target with your muzzle.

Then it's front sight, front sight, front sight!

Sight alignment, sight picture, then preeeesssssssss that trigger, slowly, steadily to the rear. Preeeeessssssssssss <BANG>!

Have fun, but when you start to feel tired, take a break or end your session. Don't ingrain bad habits.

</lecture>
Old 11-25-2009, 5:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Not all women...

Proper Chapman (Modified Weaver) shooting stance (most appropriate for most females IMO) Demonstrated:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg chapman.jpg (57.8 KB, 425 views)

The troublemaker formerly known as Blackwater OPS.
Old 11-25-2009, 7:02 PM
Calguns Addict

^^^

it looks like Ziva
Old 11-26-2009, 6:14 PM

Hey 9 can you teach me tooo
Old 11-26-2009, 6:24 PM
Calguns Addict

you get the "looking over my shoulder while working" adjuster...$100/hr
Old 11-26-2009, 9:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
it doesn't matter to me...it depends on where you're coming from, i think i've shot at all the ranges (lincoln, cordova, ione, mangan,gun room) in the area, except Yolo Sportsman...i'm retired so i'm pretty flexible

out doors might be better than indoors, except for the weather, because it's easier to hear and the lighting is better (getting older is making sights harder to see)...Mangan is a nice indoor range but is only available Monday and Thursday evenings

the last person i took out was to the Gun Room at Grantline and Hwy-99

for stance and grip it doesn't make much difference. having good light is more important when dealing with sight alignment and trigger control.

presentation from the holster, shooting at speed and mag changes work better outdoors too

I like the Gun Room... my husband took me there and I was fairly impressed. I'll talk to him and see what his schedule looks like. I'll send you a pm after he and I discuss it. lol, The hubby will want to come along I'm sure! Any excuse to go to the range!
Old 11-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Calguns Addict

sounds good..we'll make it happen
Old 11-26-2009, 10:57 PM

There's been a lot of good info here so far, but, If I may, I'll add an idea or two from practical experience.

After you have developed good basic proficiency with a handgun, get a copy of Ed McGivern's book 'Fast and Fancy Pistol and Revolver Shooting' (that title may not be exactly right, but its close)

Note, especially, the demonstrations of firing with reasonable accuracy and great rapidity from inconvenient or uncomfortable positions.

If you are ever so unfortunate as to need to rely on a handgun to save your life (or that of a friend, family member, etc.), literally fractions of a second's time may make all the difference, and you may not be able to get into a stable position.

Learning, training, and practicing firing a handgun with one hand, (you may only have the use of one hand, for any number of reasons), and from various unusual and uncomfortable positions, may be the 'edge' which could literally make the difference between life and death.

Imagine, for example, having been knocked to the ground, feeling a bit 'stunned', and your 'strong hand' disabled. Being able to deploy your weapon with your 'weak hand', quickly, and fire with reasonable accuracy may be your means of survival.

Many years ago, I had the opportunity to go through some basic training provided by a couple of men who had been combat veterans in a 'special forces' grade of military unit.

I have to admit that I got to hear 'too slow, you're dead', or 'too sloppy, you just killed a friendly before the enemy killed you' and similar things, quite a few times.

One of their training procedures was a bit challenging......but it does give you some idea of what a real confrontation could be like.

In this one, they put a sack over my head, spun me around, and pushed me back and forth between them til I was stumbling, whilst shouting obscenities and contradictory information in my ears.

When they thought that they had me sufficiently disoriented, and 'off-balance', they pulled the sack off my head, revealing two dummies, a 'friendly' and an 'enemy'.

I was expected to draw a pistol (cond 1) and engage the enemy (and the difference in appearance between the enemy and the friendly was subtle enough that it required a close look) in two seconds or less.

To 'make it interesting', just as the sack was pulled off my head, and I saw the dummies, one of the men kicked my legs out from under me, to one side, so that I'd fall sideways, whilst evaluating the friendly from the enemy, and engaging the enemy.

'Too slow, you are dead'

Well, the truth is that I learned that I 'don't have what it takes' to be a gun-fighter......so thats why I call myself a 'non-violent pacifist'.

(but training the best you are able with a handgun gives you the best opportunity to maintain the position of a 'non-violent pacifist', cos then you'll know what to do if bad circumstances won't allow you to remain purely 'non-violent')

cheers

Carla
Old 11-29-2009, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMama View Post
I like the Gun Room... my husband took me there and I was fairly impressed. I'll talk to him and see what his schedule looks like. I'll send you a pm after he and I discuss it. lol, The hubby will want to come along I'm sure! Any excuse to go to the range!
I'm new on Calguns; I'm usually on SigForum.

I've had a lesson or two from 9mmE. He's friendly, knowledgeable, experienced and a good instructor. It's not only that he knows how to shoot, but that he knows how to teach you how to shoot. Plus, he has all kinds of funny stories. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him as an instructor.

There are many things you can learn by reading. You can even visualize certain things. But there are things like driving, riding a bike, golfing, shooting etc where it really helps to have an instructor while performing the task. And we're lucky to have 9mmE in the Sacto area to help us with shooting.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Calguns Addict

thank you for the kind words konata88

this is one of those acts of kindness for the holiday season...plus you never know where your next paying customer will come from
Old 12-08-2009, 8:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by konata88 View Post
I'm new on Calguns; I'm usually on SigForum.

I've had a lesson or two from 9mmE. He's friendly, knowledgeable, experienced and a good instructor. It's not only that he knows how to shoot, but that he knows how to teach you how to shoot. Plus, he has all kinds of funny stories. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him as an instructor.

There are many things you can learn by reading. You can even visualize certain things. But there are things like driving, riding a bike, golfing, shooting etc where it really helps to have an instructor while performing the task. And we're lucky to have 9mmE in the Sacto area to help us with shooting.

I just got finished with my lesson and you couldn't be more right! He was excellent and in just one lesson, he helped me more than I could have ever imagined! Sooooo happy he met with me!
Old 12-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Calguns Addict

NorCalMama was an excellent student and made me look good...it is so much easier to teach women to shoot well.

i did get your e-mail and i'll put together a outline of skill sets we can cover by tomorrow.

if there are other folks in the Sacto area who are interested, we could put together a small group class at a reasonable rate. there's nothing more important than starting out with good shooting habits.
Old 12-09-2009, 8:23 AM

Quote:
you get the "looking over my shoulder while working" adjuster...$100/hr
No worries because you'll be getting a bill for $200 an hour for being in my AWESOMENESS

Glad things are working out.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:43 AM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMama View Post
I just got finished with my lesson and you couldn't be more right! He was excellent and in just one lesson, he helped me more than I could have ever imagined! Sooooo happy he met with me!

Congrats! Glad you were able to get the help you needed.

I just finished a shotgun class and took my son, my neighbor, and her son with me. It was lots of fun shooting clays and the teachers are great. This was a Women On Target course if you ever have one of those in your area.
Old 12-09-2009, 4:46 PM

Quote:
NorCalMama was an excellent student and made me look good...it is so much easier to teach women to shoot well.

i did get your e-mail and i'll put together a outline of skill sets we can cover by tomorrow.

if there are other folks in the Sacto area who are interested, we could put together a small group class at a reasonable rate. there's nothing more important than starting out with good shooting habits.
Ummm, geee, is this a ding at me?
Old 12-09-2009, 5:56 PM
Calguns Addict

not at all

you are also a very good student, you have a lot of desire...but you do overthink shooting

a wise man knows, that he does not know - Plato
Old 12-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Calguns Addict

I sometimes see women lean back when they shoot.
Old 12-23-2009, 8:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I sometimes see women lean back when they shoot.
leaning back isn't gender specific...it's a product of either incorrect compensation for balance issues or a product of your introduction to loud explosions occurring 2 feet in front of your face
Old 01-18-2010, 8:53 AM
Banned

I personally think women have a better stance than men. First of all, us women are used to carrying weight 'up top' so I think we stand up more straightly when holding our guns, as opposed to many men, who seem to lean back to make up for the weight in front. 2nd, I think girls are just trained to have better posture than guys. I for one keep my posture when at the range, which is more than I can say about some of the guys I've gone shooting with!
Old 01-18-2010, 8:45 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

9mm...whats your going rate? I'm in the Sacramento area and interested. I don't currently own a handgun but plan on purchasing one in the coming weeks or months. I also have a remington 870 I would like to become more proficient with. Let me know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
Excuse me, I didn't realize you were posting from a Unabomer shack deep in the Angeles National Forest. Are you stirring coconuts, a la Gilligan's Island, to power that lap top?
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Bring in a bullet button and a mop. Ask him if he knows which is which.
Old 01-18-2010, 9:38 PM
Calguns Addict

i'll send you a PM
Old 01-19-2010, 5:33 AM

Quote:

Very nice job sir! I like it when people share trainingand time and in doing so grow a business!
-------------
The Battle of San Jacinto still astounds me. 1,360 Mexican soldiers vs. 910 Texan soldiers--every Mexican soldier was killed or captured, while there were only 8 Texans killed and 23 wounded--and it was all over in 18 minutes.
Old 01-19-2010, 9:40 AM
C3 Leader

I have to add my .02 since I've had the fortunate opportunity to meet 9MM in person -- if you want a patient, good-humored instructor, 9MM is your man.

After all, he did survive an entire day in my presence!
Old 01-19-2010, 12:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyrlp10 View Post
...9MM is your man.
After all, he did survive an entire day in my presence!
I can one up you-he survived one on one training with me for over an hour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
Testicles of steel, bladder of titanium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceflinch View Post
F the World Bank
F the UN &
F Obama

Sacramento Community Chapter Social Group... Join Here!