Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 12-02-2019, 6:37 PM

Default Used guns to buy?

New to the gun area, wife and I bought two handguns both Cal compliant and an MP15

We are looking at buying some smaller 380's and since there are only a few choices in California we are looking at used but I'm not sure on what the law is.

Can we buy used from out of state and shipped to our local FFL. Can they be guns that are not available in California, looking at the Glock 42 and the Springfield 911.

What are the rules on buying used out of state?
Old 12-02-2019, 6:43 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Anything you buy out of state must be on the roster or roster exempt. New or used does not matter. Used guns get treated the same as new.

That means no G42. No Springer 911.

If you want those you must find a private seller in CA and pay the premium, and meet at a FFL for transfer.

Welcome to Calguns.

Old 12-02-2019, 6:52 PM

It might just happen that either you or your wife's parents gift the perfect pistol.

Oh yeah....then the earth splits open with me on one side and the (off roster gun) on the other. Then appeared a large red-glowing pit with gavin newscum, diane frankenstein and governor "brown the drain" at the bottom of it, waving their pitchforks at me.
(Non caps intended)
Old 12-02-2019, 6:55 PM
Veteran Member

Take a look at the S&W Shield - on roster and good shooters.

The only used, off-roster guns that can be sent into CA from out of state are things that are Curio & Relic exempt (50+ years old).
Old 12-02-2019, 6:58 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifle ronin View Post
It might just happen that either you or your wife's parents gift the perfect pistol.
To expand on the above.

By law your (or your wife's) parents or your children who live out of state may send you an off roster pistol. As long as it is not an assault pistol to your local FFL.

At the top of the page is a list of things that the pistol may not have. Over 10 round magazine, threaded barrel etc.

You can always look through the classifieds here and meet the seller (No shipping) at the local FFL and transfer it to you.

Keep asking questions and welcome to the forum.

Here I am.

"I'm for Hoffa until they pat my face with a shovel and steal my cufflinks." Frank Sheerin. Man who admitted killing Hoffa
Old 12-02-2019, 6:59 PM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If you buy used out of state, it must be shipped to an FFL, which you'll pay shipping. You'll go there, pay the DROS, pay FFL transfer fee, and sales tax. And the gun must be on the roster.

If you buy used from a local gun shop, then there are DROS and sales tax, but no FFL transfer fee. Can be off roster.

If you buy used from a private party here, pay the DROS, but there are no FFL transfer fee and no sales tax. Can be off roster.
Old 12-02-2019, 8:02 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbum View Post
The only used, off-roster guns that can be sent into CA from out of state are things that are Curio & Relic exempt (50+ years old).
C&R
Olympic
Single shot
Single action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordupmybrotha View Post

If you buy used from a local gun shop, then there are DROS and sales tax, but no FFL transfer fee. Can be off roster.
Can be off roster only if it is on CONSIGNMENT

Old 12-02-2019, 9:14 PM

Where do you live? I just saw a used P365 and a used P320 on consignment at my local gun store. I just bought a new pistol and a new safe or I would have jumped on the 320. Be patient, things come around. My local gun store was cheaper than what I have seen on Calguns.
Old 12-03-2019, 7:33 AM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post

Can be off roster only if it is on CONSIGNMENT
That's right
Old 12-03-2019, 8:43 AM

If you’re looking at small .380’s you can often find first generation Ruger LCPs for a “reasonable” California price (under $400) ppt
Old 12-04-2019, 1:42 AM

Used Sig P238? On roster, available most anywhere, sometimes also non-CA versions pop up in the marketplace. Pretty much the same gun as the SA 911, just an older redesign of the even older Colt...

Last edited by DB>; 12-04-2019 at 1:44 AM..
Old 12-04-2019, 11:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

ANY Gen.3 S&W's still on the list!!!
Old 12-04-2019, 12:38 PM

"The Roster: Handguns Certified for Sale"
Old 12-04-2019, 5:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
To expand on the above.

By law your (or your wife's) parents or your children who live out of state may send you an off roster pistol. As long as it is not an assault pistol to your local FFL.

At the top of the page is a list of things that the pistol may not have. Over 10 round magazine, threaded barrel etc.

You can always look through the classifieds here and meet the seller (No shipping) at the local FFL and transfer it to you.

Keep asking questions and welcome to the forum.
It is not as cut and dry. Pay for that gun and you and your family member are looking at felony charges. Also, your in laws cannot transfer to you, but to your wife. If they transfer to your wife for her to transfer to you, that is another violation.

Do some research. Start at http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1179771
I never practiced criminal nor firearms law.Do not rely on my post, but consult your own attorney.

Last edited by Chewy65; 12-04-2019 at 5:27 PM..
Old 12-04-2019, 6:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordupmybrotha View Post
If you buy used from a local gun shop, then there are DROS and sales tax, but no FFL transfer fee. Can be off roster..
An FFL can't sell a non roster handgun to someone who is not exempt from the roster.
If you want an off roster pistol you'll probably end up buying it from a LEO whos department hasn't banned them from selling guns or from someone that bought one from a LEO.
If you have the budget go Walther - Even a S&W marked one is good. Stay away from the crapola pot metal ones. Newer polymer ones by Ruger seem to be good. They also have one that can be 9mm or 380.
Old 12-04-2019, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post

If you want those you must find a private seller in CA and pay the premium, and meet at a FFL for transfer.

Welcome to Calguns.

Note that on CalGuns this means MSRP x 2.5, even if it's used.