Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 77 8.08%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 645 67.68%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 21 2.20%
I paid too much for my Membership! 45 4.72%
They will go out of business this year! 22 2.31%
Don't want anything to do with them! 143 15.01%
Voters: 953. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2019, 6:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you have not been at FS in the summer when Thunderstorms.... generate a flash flood.... scary place to be

Anywho-
TRASH BAGS - are your friend at FS When it rains...

Take your floor mats out of the car.. slide them into a trash bag- reinstall in your car.... muddy feet don't ruin your floor mats

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 11-21-2019, 6:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandHill View Post
I am not a member and have not been to Front Sight. Wanting to do the 4DDHG, probably in the spring when the weather is better. I have read tons about FS on here, and the info is useful. But I am still baffled by their pricing model. Course certificates are essentially free these days (available on eBay for $7). Lifetime memberships and diamond memberships very, very cheap.

It seems too good to be true, and I generally avoid deals like that because generally there is a catch someplace. I am willing to make an exception in FS's case because of all the testimonials from you guys. I am looking for advice on how to best do this. I am thinking to just buy a cheap course certificate for first class, then after I have experienced a class I can decide if I want a lifetime membership or not. Any reason not to do it that way?

Any online scams I should watch out for? I am not too worried about losing my $7 on eBay, but I don't want to buy a certificate, go all the way to Middleofnowhere, NV, and have certificate not honored.

I appreciate any guidance you guys can provide. It seems the operators of FS do their best to hide the ball.
Generally this certificates are transferred electronically to your FS account (set up on www.myfrontsight.com). You will register for the class, use your certificate, and get class confirmation before you ever arrive at FS.

Memberships are more problematic. FS explicitly does not allow memberships to be sold on public forums and loss of membership is likely.

PM me for information on low-priced Front Sight Memberships!
Old 11-21-2019, 6:38 PM
Veteran Member

Honestly at the end of the day if you buy a membership and go once it will more than pay for itself. Contact AA shooter here for a membership and you will be good to go for all classes. They are legitimate and professional.
You will need to go to myfrontsite.com and get an account started no matter what. Don’t even waste time on a certificate.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I am not a member and have not been to Front Sight. Wanting to do the 4DDHG, probably in the spring when the weather is better. I have read tons about FS on here, and the info is useful. But I am still baffled by their pricing model. Course certificates are essentially free these days (available on eBay for $7). Lifetime memberships and diamond memberships very, very cheap.

It seems too good to be true, and I generally avoid deals like that because generally there is a catch someplace. I am willing to make an exception in FS's case because of all the testimonials from you guys. I am looking for advice on how to best do this. I am thinking to just buy a cheap course certificate for first class, then after I have experienced a class I can decide if I want a lifetime membership or not. Any reason not to do it that way?

Any online scams I should watch out for? I am not too worried about losing my $7 on eBay, but I don't want to buy a certificate, go all the way to Middleofnowhere, NV, and have certificate not honored.

I appreciate any guidance you guys can provide. It seems the operators of FS do their best to hide the ball.
Wife and I both had a moment of buyers remorse and wondered about if we got taken since our lifetime member ship did indeed seem too good to be true. But, we reviewed more of the info here as well as some of the YT videos out there (check out Late Boy Scout) and we didn't have any worries. Our memberships were < $100 each. Only thing we have to do is the background check, gas, hotel and ammo. Pretty cheap vacation and a heck of a good time training. How can you go wrong? LOL!

Even if you 'splurge' and get a membership, it will be more that worth it if you only go once. Check out any of the 4-5 day training sessions at any of the other schools and you'll be shocked. $1,750 sticks out in my mind. Think of doing that x 2 (wife)!!!

Anyways, don't worry. Get either a certificate or membership and don't worry. Be prepared to have a fantastic time.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 11-22-2019, 7:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Sandhill, you know me well from the Deal, Sales and Coupon subforum and we both know a deal when we see one. This thing is a deal and a half. Get yourself a Diamond membership from someone here (guys, send him a PM) and you won’t regret it. Diamond is the lowest, therefore the cheapest, membership that lets you take all the classes except for their private training sessions.

The only downside is that you start getting a torrent of emails from FS, but you can always unsubscribe.

I don’t have any memberships to sell myself.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 11-22-2019, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
Sandhill, you know me well from the Deal, Sales and Coupon subforum and we both know a deal when we see one. This thing is a deal and a half. Get yourself a Diamond membership from someone here (guys, send him a PM) and you won’t regret it. Diamond is the lowest, therefore the cheapest, membership that lets you take all the classes except for their private training sessions.

The only downside is that you start getting a torrent of emails from FS, but you can always unsubscribe.

I don’t have any memberships to sell myself.

Beanz, I believe you! And AAShooter and Acegunner and all the other bros on here with 100% iTrader ratings! Like I said, I wouldn't be considering FS if not for the testimonials on here. If I was just looking at Iggy Piazza's marketing I would run away as fast as I can. At this point, I am only trying to figure out the best way to do this. Looks like the Diamond lifetime membership is the way to go.

WTB: S&W CS9 - Chief's Special 9mm, S&W 4013, other 3rd Gen https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1554672
Old 11-22-2019, 7:07 PM
Veteran Member

Aa shooter has better memberships for about the same as others sell diamonds.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:26 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The scammy part is having to pay the background check fee every year if you train every year. So just factor that cost into your attendance.
Old 11-25-2019, 5:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt88edmo View Post
The scammy part is having to pay the background check fee every year if you train every year. So just factor that cost into your attendance.
Find a friend with FS credits.

Old 11-25-2019, 8:04 PM

So I have read some old posts where FS charges a transfer fee for membership. One post said the transfer fee was $100. Is that applied to all transfers?

I saw an old post from Beanz where he said his daughter had a low level membership (Liberty Tree I believe) but FS would charge her $500 to upgrade to a higher level! Even though he had Diamond memberships to give her for free.

This is the kind of thing that makes my head hurt. I have opened an account on Front Sight. Can anyone explain how the transfer process works if someone wants to transfer a Diamond membership to me? And what fees, if any, are involved?

WTB: S&W CS9 - Chief's Special 9mm, S&W 4013, other 3rd Gen https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1554672
Old 11-25-2019, 9:16 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So I have read some old posts where FS charges a transfer fee for membership. One post said the transfer fee was $100. Is that applied to all transfers?

I saw an old post from Beanz where he said his daughter had a low level membership (Liberty Tree I believe) but FS would charge her $500 to upgrade to a higher level! Even though he had Diamond memberships to give her for free.

This is the kind of thing that makes my head hurt. I have opened an account on Front Sight. Can anyone explain how the transfer process works if someone wants to transfer a Diamond membership to me? And what fees, if any, are involved?
Some folks may charge a transfer fee. Make sure you don't have to. They should tell you upfront if there is a transfer fee which is usually $100.

Although a Diamond will give you all the classes for free, sometimes paying a little more for the higher memberships, i.e., Commander is worth it so you don't have to worry about upgrading anytime soon. That is what happened to some folks who bought cheaper lower memberships and found out that it cost them $500 bucks to upgrade later on.

The transfer is instantaneous online. The selling member will just need to input your user name and click a button and you will get an email that the transfer has succeeded. You can then log back in to your account and see all the classes that you can take and sign up for them right away. Your membership card and paperwork will come in the mail in a couple of weeks. Again, make sure you don't have to pay a transfer fee for the membership that you are buying.

Hope this helps. It really is not that hard.
Old 11-26-2019, 7:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

The transfer fee was entirely imposed by FS. If you have no current membership, it’s probably that $100 fee you saw. The $500 charge was to “upgrade” my daughter’s Liberty Tree to a Diamond because she already has one. Yes, the membership part is confusing and this is where FS makes money off you. So, the best move is to get a high level membership now and hope to never want to upgrade.

If I were to get into FS now, I’d go for a “President with private training” level. Even then Piazza still makes it more confusing with the different numbers of friends you can bring with you: only you yourself, you with one other, you with up to ten friends, or you with your entire AA group (or your Bible Study group LOL).

Old 11-27-2019, 8:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

If someone gives you a membership, make sure you go in at the highest level possible. (Diamonds are low level.) Upgrades can only be done with Front Sight directly.

Or just use class vouchers. I have close to 40 million class vouchers to give away and I need help!
Virtually unlimited FREE Front Sight training: http://guntrust.org

Last edited by guntrust; 11-27-2019 at 7:29 PM..
Old 11-27-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntrust View Post
If someone gives you a membership, make sure you go in at the highest level possible. (Diamonds are low level.) Upgrades can only be done with Front Sight directly.
OK, now I am really confused! Did someone give me a membership and not tell me? On my account that I just opened, it's showing a Commander membership, plus $1,000 in credits from Iggy.

Did Santa Claus come early? I haven't really been that good this year.......

Old 11-28-2019, 7:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
OK, now I am really confused! Did someone give me a membership and not tell me? On my account that I just opened, it's showing a Commander membership, plus $1,000 in credits from Iggy.

Did Santa Claus come early? I haven't really been that good this year.......
Lucky you! Who knows of your Front Sight username? That is your Secret Santa. There are some very generous Calgunners on this thread. For the poster who gave me an Ammo Club add-on, I’m talking about you!

Now go book a room in Pahrump and have fun. Try to buy and have ammo sent to the hotel so you don’t use up your precious stash in CA. Even the most CA-averse vendors will ship ammo to Pahrump if you explain that you are taking FS classes there.

Last edited by beanz2; 11-28-2019 at 7:47 AM..
Old 11-28-2019, 8:07 AM

Nice to see there are still good and generous people in this world. Now have a blast!!!!
Old 11-28-2019, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1834 View Post
Nice to see there are still good and generous people in this world. Now have a blast!!!!
Well, I hope that's it, and it's not just a mistake on Iggy's part. If I do have a secret Santa out there, thanks! And Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-28-2019, 3:33 PM

Probably IGGY and not a calgunner. 2 years i had the same thing in my account
Old 11-28-2019, 4:29 PM
Veteran Member

Now you don’t need to question it. You just need to go!
Old 11-28-2019, 6:18 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr View Post
Probably IGGY and not a calgunner. 2 years i had the same thing in my account
I was thinking FS as well. I don't think regular members can transfer credits to another person's account.
Old 11-29-2019, 8:51 AM

Good morning Gentlemen...

I haven't taken the 4D rifle class, yet, because at the least, being cross-eyed dominant - I shoot pistol RH and long guns (rifles, shotguns, etc.) LH.

So, if I were to attend the class I either would need to block out my left lens or find a LH rifle. Yeah, I know the class can be taken LH and there are techniques - but why go through the extra effort?

So, simple question - are red dots allowed in the class? (Because I found a good Black Friday deal on a Trijicon MRO)

Will it disqualify you for the test? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks in advanced!!!

_
Old 11-29-2019, 8:56 AM
Veteran Member

Red dots are fine to use and don’t disqualify you. A good 1x4 scope or even 1x6-8 work well. The Trijicon red dot works well too.
Took the class with a rd dot then a second time with a scope. I preferred the 1x4 scope for the 100 yard shot.
Old 11-29-2019, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
Red dots are fine to use and don’t disqualify you. A good 1x4 scope or even 1x6-8 work well. The Trijicon red dot works well too.
Took the class with a rd dot then a second time with a scope. I preferred the 1x4 scope for the 100 yard shot.
Thanks for the quick reply...

I just ordered the MRO (with full co-witness mount) for just $409. Should be arriving in a week.

https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/mro-c-2200005

Additional question - I believe one can take the 4D class as, say, private training, depending on membership, right? (Would definitely like to make use of what I paid for).

Cheers,

_
Old 11-29-2019, 1:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Good morning Gentlemen...

I haven't taken the 4D rifle class, yet, because at the least, being cross-eyed dominant - I shoot pistol RH and long guns (rifles, shotguns, etc.) LH.

So, if I were to attend the class I either would need to block out my left lens or find a LH rifle. Yeah, I know the class can be taken LH and there are techniques - but why go through the extra effort?

So, simple question - are red dots allowed in the class? (Because I found a good Black Friday deal on a Trijicon MRO)

Will it disqualify you for the test? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks in advanced!!!

_
The simplest thing to do is just to close your left eye. Blurring the left lens on your eye protection may interfere with weapon manipulation with malfunction training, etc. At least it would for me.

A lot of guys are running red dots and they’re fast from 50 yards and in, but further out, magnified optics have the advantage. On my last class 2 weeks ago, the RM, Kevin Cress, took us out to 200yd to shoot paper and steel, although it was not on the course curriculum.

We shot way over the minimal ammo requirement, so I reached into my emergency stash which happened to be steel core M855. It made a spectacular pyrotechnic splash hitting steel at 4:30 pm as it was getting dark. Of course I had to get busted on the last shot of the day LOL

Old 11-29-2019, 1:53 PM

Quote:
The simplest thing to do is just to close your left eye. Blurring the left lens on your eye protection may interfere with weapon manipulation with malfunction training, etc. At least it would for me.
Yes, these are what I am concerned about. First, no matter how hard I tried, I just can't get to close my left eye shut without making weird contortions of my face (as opposed to closing my right eye). This is the reason I shoot left-handed for long guns. Second - blurring the left eye - I absolutely lose "half" of my field of view.

Quote:
A lot of guys are running red dots and they’re fast from 50 yards and in, but further out, magnified optics have the advantage.
I will not disagree with you! But my only options are run the class left-handed OR run right-handed with an optic.

Dang! Biology and genetics... Hahahah!!

BTW, you did got booted out?

_
Old 11-29-2019, 2:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Yes, these are what I am concerned about. First, no matter how hard I tried, I just can't get to close my left eye shut without making weird contortions of my face (as opposed to closing my right eye). This is the reason I shoot left-handed for long guns. Second - blurring the left eye - I absolutely lose "half" of my field of view.

I will not disagree with you! But my only options are run the class left-handed OR run right-handed with an optic.

Dang! Biology and genetics... Hahahah!!

BTW, you did got booted out?

_
I think once you run a magnified optic, the cross eye dominance will fix itself as the brain will choose to process the better image from the right eye. Not sure if this still applies to a non magnified red dot, though.

If you run an AK, you’ll find out it suits the left handed shooter beautifully.

No, I got caught on the very last shot on the very last day! The M1A guy next to me was also shooting steel core, and I tried to time my shots with his but it’s hard to do when you have to keep your NPOA, time your breathing, etc.

Old 11-29-2019, 3:21 PM
Veteran Member

You should be able to do that in a private class in two days. Practical rifle is a fun class.
Old 11-29-2019, 6:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Lucky you! Who knows of your Front Sight username? That is your Secret Santa. There are some very generous Calgunners on this thread. For the poster who gave me an Ammo Club add-on, I’m talking about you!
Anyone who wants an ammo club supplement, let me know.
I've got 70,564,478 of those things.
Old 11-29-2019, 6:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation Supplement

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntrust View Post
Anyone who wants an ammo club supplement, let me know.
I've got 70,564,478 of those things.
Ok
I’ll ask- what is an Ammo club and what is an Ammo club supplement?
I’m a silver member- old school

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 11-29-2019, 8:28 PM

Default Front Sight Members Check In Here!

Took the 4 day PR in October. I’m a LH shooter and R eye dominant. I ran a PA 2.5x ACSS with both eyes open. For me it was great. If you run a variable optic , on the test you can’t change it but honestly 2.5x or 3x is just right. FWIW, I left the illumination off and just used the etched reticle. I have astigmatism so a red dot is a no go.
There were all kinds of optics from red dots to fixed magnification to variables. Since you zero at 50 and max is 100, pretty much anything will work.
If you run it LH, a Giessle Maritime bolt catch (or similar) and an ambi CH and safety will make life very easy.
The best advice I was given was get a dump pouch and a Maglula magazine loader. Two must haves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Front Sight Commander member.
NRA Life Member

Last edited by dad4mnc; 11-29-2019 at 8:32 PM..
Old 11-30-2019, 8:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Ok
I’ll ask- what is an Ammo club and what is an Ammo club supplement?
I’m a silver member- old school
Allows you to purchase ammo at FS at a discounted rate. Great if you need to buy ammo there. No harm in having it. I would take him up on his offer.

For example, if you use FS guns, you have to buy ammo there.

Old 12-01-2019, 8:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Sharp things sticking past the muzzle...

So I converted my Magpul bipod to use a pair of Atlas spiked feet so they would grab better onto Front Sight’s gravel. Last May, during Rifle Marksmanship, my rubber bipod feet were useless on that surface as they’d slide away as I preload the bipod with my shoulder.

The problem is that my bipod legs now extend past the muzzle by a couple of inches with the spiked feet when they’re not deployed. Nowhere near where I’d worry about a bullet strike when fired folded, but I’m starting to worry if weapons inspection would fail the gun.

Anyone experienced or seen any weapon inspection issues with guns sporting bipods or maybe even bayonets like this? The feet are kind of fierce looking, imagine Madonna’s spiked bras made of solid aluminum.

Added a pic below.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FBD235E7-C323-47BF-925F-63062DD44696.jpg (14.4 KB, 190 views)

Last edited by beanz2; 12-01-2019 at 8:43 AM..
Old 12-01-2019, 8:26 AM

Quote:
The feet are kind of fierce looking, imagine Madonna’s spiked bras made of solid aluminum.
Comparison photos please.
Old 12-01-2019, 8:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nszzya View Post
Comparison photos please.
I realize some of you are too young to remember her:

Old 12-01-2019, 9:09 AM

Quote:
I realize some of you are too young to remember her:

Thanks for the reminder!
Old 12-02-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
So I converted my Magpul bipod to use a pair of Atlas spiked feet so they would grab better onto Front Sight’s gravel. Last May, during Rifle Marksmanship, my rubber bipod feet were useless on that surface as they’d slide away as I preload the bipod with my shoulder.

The problem is that my bipod legs now extend past the muzzle by a couple of inches with the spiked feet when they’re not deployed. Nowhere near where I’d worry about a bullet strike when fired folded, but I’m starting to worry if weapons inspection would fail the gun.

Anyone experienced or seen any weapon inspection issues with guns sporting bipods or maybe even bayonets like this? The feet are kind of fierce looking, imagine Madonna’s spiked bras made of solid aluminum.

Added a pic below.

I've got spikes on my Harris, but it's a 24" barrel bolt gun, so they don't quite hang beyond
Old 12-03-2019, 7:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by million_ants View Post
I've got spikes on my Harris, but it's a 24" barrel bolt gun, so they don't quite hang beyond
Yup, I got one of those coming from Cabela's too, but that's for the next class. IF I ever DG this one . . .

Old 12-03-2019, 11:01 PM

I took the plunge and went to Front Sight this year. It was AWESOME! No seriously, the training was great.

What was cool about it was that I responded to one of the marketing emails Piazza sent out, the one that was like, "No good rotten hilary loving scumbag ex business partner trying to steal our land and we need money for lawyers!" So I paid $200, got 40 Patriot level memberships, 40 4-day certificates, $4,000 in store credits, and a Front Site bag to keep my guns in. Used the credits to rent a gun for my friend who came along, and I brought all our gear in the bag. The deal was totally worth it.

By the way, if anyone needs a Patriot membership, send me a PM lol.
Old 12-04-2019, 5:32 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp002 View Post
I took the plunge and went to Front Sight this year. It was AWESOME! No seriously, the training was great.

What was cool about it was that I responded to one of the marketing emails Piazza sent out, the one that was like, "No good rotten hilary loving scumbag ex business partner trying to steal our land and we need money for lawyers!" So I paid $200, got 40 Patriot level memberships, 40 4-day certificates, $4,000 in store credits, and a Front Site bag to keep my guns in. Used the credits to rent a gun for my friend who came along, and I brought all our gear in the bag. The deal was totally worth it.

Win! lol. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2019, 9:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp002 View Post

A lot of us have memberships. I traded almost 30 million back to FS but retained 10 million commander memberships. But we are not allowed to advertise memberships for sale. What I advertise are the 40 million class vouchers I offer to people who attend my seminars/webinars, or refer others who attend.