Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 12-03-2019, 1:49 AM

Smile Do the Springfield 1842 and 1861 take the same Bayonet?

Do the Springfield 1842 and 1861 musket take the same Bayonet?

I recently ordered a Traditions 1842 Springfield 69 cal smooth bore Musket.

I have heard bayonets don't always fit well from this period as there are manufacturing inconsistencies. I'm looking for any advice on this.

Also if anyone has experience with this firearm non related advice is also appreciated.
Old 12-03-2019, 2:13 AM
Veteran Member

No. The M1842 is .69 caliber and the M1861 is .58. Both take same style, but the M1842 has a larger socket to accommodate the larger diameter barrel.

Not to mention the M1861 bayonet locks onto the front sight (obviously on top of the barrel). The M1842 doesn't have a front sight so the bayonet locks onto a post attached to the underside of the barrel; even if you were to get one blade to mount on the other weapon, the blade would be oriented to. The wrong side.

Last edited by IrishJoe3; 12-03-2019 at 2:32 AM..
Old 12-03-2019, 2:28 AM
Veteran Member

I have and have shot the M1842 plenty. Keep it clean (due to corrosive black powder fouling) and be careful when handling black powder if you're not used to it. Otherwise, have fun. The military load was a .65 caliber round ball with three .33 caliber pellets on top ("buck and ball"). You'll note a lack of a rear sight; shooting a round ball that is so undersized made actual sights pointless. You have essentially a combat shotgun. When used in volley fire on enemy troops in close range it was truly devastating. You may recall the "bloody lane" from the battle of Antietam. Confederate troops were eventually beaten from a sunken lane they were using as a defensive position. They left the lane filled with layers of bodies and 'blood was flowing down the lane'. This was because the Irish Brigade, largely armed with M1842s firing buck and ball were pouring volley fire into the lane for 3 hours at a distance of 30 yards. However the downside of the M1842 from the civil war era was when faced with an enemy armed with rifle muskets, simply getting to the effective range of the M1842 was costly.
Old 12-03-2019, 6:50 AM
Veteran Member

One of my great regrets is selling off my 1842 musket many, many years ago. It had been converted to percussion either prior to, or during the War of Northern Aggression. It had a true been-there done-that look to it and I greatly wish I had it back.

Personally I would be hesitant to shoot such an old and historic firearm as I would cry if anything happened to ruin it. I currently have a 1861 Springfield rifle musket that I acquired from the family of the solider that carried it in the war and while I debated with myself over whether to shoot it or not in the end I decided that I will keep it retired.
Old 12-03-2019, 3:36 PM

Thanks for the reply s . Does anyone have a lead on a bayonet for the 1842 smooth bore bayonet with the larger socket either original or reproduced?
Old 12-03-2019, 4:02 PM
Veteran Member

https://regtqm.com/product/m1842-spr...-bayonet-only/
Old 12-03-2019, 5:37 PM

Thanks for the info Joe.