Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 11-25-2019, 11:55 PM

Default School me on building an SVI/10mm 2011

I was researching a couple of threads here regarding SVIs and how the roster comes in to play when creating a pistol. My understanding is that you pay a deposit, they send the pistol to your FFL, then you send it back for final touches.

What wasn't clear to me was if the roster approved SVIs were limited to a single size of frame. When I peruse the old threads and classifieds here, I notice a good majority of the SVIs are of the 5" variety.

I'm looking into making a 6" sight tracker model in 10mm, in a very plain jane black package. My concern is reliability, then mechanical accuracy, and finally the aesthetics. I definitely would like to have accesory rail if I ever feel compelled to attach a weapon light to it.

As reference, I'm looking to build something along these lines. What says you?

Old 11-26-2019, 2:20 AM

Order them asap because the longer you wait the longer it gets.

I believe you can do a combo package, 10mm and 40.
Old 11-26-2019, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baer1911 View Post
Order them asap because the longer you wait the longer it gets.

I believe you can do a combo package, 10mm and 40.
This is just something I'm currently exploring. I don't mind the wait at all, as it gives me some time to move funds around for it. I would imagine the 10mm barrel and breachface can accomodate 40S&W as well. SVI uses swappable breach faces. I wouldn't mind a 45ACP breach either if that's the case. But if I wanted just one caliber, it would be another 10mm to add to the stable.
Old 11-26-2019, 7:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_alpha01 View Post
What wasn't clear to me was if the roster approved SVIs were limited to a single size of frame. When I peruse the old threads and classifieds here, I notice a good majority of the SVIs are of the 5" variety.

I'm looking into making a 6" sight tracker model in 10mm, in a very plain jane black package. My concern is reliability, then mechanical accuracy, and finally the aesthetics. I definitely would like to have accesory rail if I ever feel compelled to attach a weapon light to it.
They can do a 6" model, most competition guns they build are 5.4". Accessory rail is not a problem (I had inquired about it). Not sure overall length of the lower frame though, something to ask them when you design your gun.

Here are before and after pic of one of my guns. Finished version is 5.4" sight tracker, lower goes all the way to the end.

Old 11-26-2019, 7:55 AM

I may have to inquire about the 6” model. We all know how stupid the roster is. I just wasn’t certain if the roster, in this case, had anything to do with the length of the frame.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:05 PM

once you have dros-ed the roster SVI, they can do a 6" model for you. it just like you send your lower to gunsmith for a new top end. actually its building time is faster than before. Last quote I got was around 6-7 months.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummykid View Post
once you have dros-ed the roster SVI, they can do a 6" model for you. it just like you send your lower to gunsmith for a new top end. actually its building time is faster than before. Last quote I got was around 6-7 months.
I wonder if they would have a the dust cover extend the length of the slide as well, rather than be an inch shorter than the slide. Looking to make the pistol monolithic.
Old 11-27-2019, 5:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I wonder if they would have a the dust cover extend the length of the slide as well, rather than be an inch shorter than the slide. Looking to make the pistol monolithic.
If you look at the pics I posted the original was 5" whereas upgraded was 5.4". The lower goes all the way the length of the slide. Talk to them.
Old 11-27-2019, 9:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My Limited SVI has full length dust cover and I transferred it at the beginning of the year. Never really thought about the length issue so I went back to look at the before/after photos and it's the same serial number, different size. I can guess how it works, but I don't care at this point :-)

You're good to go, just talk to them.

As for reliability and mechanical accuracy, you're getting the top of the top. These are hand-fitted race machines that I dry fire daily and regularly shoot at matches at Pala, in wind and dust. The inside of my magwell looks like it's been in a war, but the gun is flawless. Not a single issue ever. The accuracy is superb with their gain-rifling (or whatever they call it) barrel, the tracking of the sights in recoil is easier with the sights mounted on the barrel (not the slide).

One thing to remember is that you have to go by the specs for which the gun is built. When it's this tight and precise, the ammo and maintenance need to be too. Mine is in .40 for USPSA Limited Major and it's designed for way longer rounds to provide reliable feeding and great recoil profile with high end powders (OAL 1.200 with N310). You also have to clean it regularly, or at least when you feel the slide getting a bit "sticky." There is practically no room between the slide and the frame so fouling in the lubricant can affect cycling if you are using lowest power loads with light springs (if you're not, you should still clean it to avoid dirt grinding the contact between slide and the frame).
Old 11-28-2019, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
My Limited SVI has full length dust cover and I transferred it at the beginning of the year. Never really thought about the length issue so I went back to look at the before/after photos and it's the same serial number, different size. I can guess how it works, but I don't care at this point :-)

You're good to go, just talk to them.

As for reliability and mechanical accuracy, you're getting the top of the top. These are hand-fitted race machines that I dry fire daily and regularly shoot at matches at Pala, in wind and dust. The inside of my magwell looks like it's been in a war, but the gun is flawless. Not a single issue ever. The accuracy is superb with their gain-rifling (or whatever they call it) barrel, the tracking of the sights in recoil is easier with the sights mounted on the barrel (not the slide).

One thing to remember is that you have to go by the specs for which the gun is built. When it's this tight and precise, the ammo and maintenance need to be too. Mine is in .40 for USPSA Limited Major and it's designed for way longer rounds to provide reliable feeding and great recoil profile with high end powders (OAL 1.200 with N310). You also have to clean it regularly, or at least when you feel the slide getting a bit "sticky." There is practically no room between the slide and the frame so fouling in the lubricant can affect cycling if you are using lowest power loads with light springs (if you're not, you should still clean it to avoid dirt grinding the contact between slide and the frame).

IM A STICKLER FOR KEEPING THE GUN OILED. Quite frankly I most likely won’t compete as often either. I just want one because I like what SVI strives to create. It’s a piece unique to me, and something I wouldn’t sell. The roster has somewhat desensitized me to the asking price, and considering the wait for what you get I think there’s tremendous value in it.

My head was spinning using the GunBuilder II interface. I’m noobish to all the terminology used on the options they listed. I stopped at Widebody 6” and didn’t know what to select from there. From what you see above, what would I need to select? All I want out of the deal is a full length dustcover with accessory rail, 10mm, and sight tracker.

Last edited by Romeo_alpha01; 12-03-2019 at 10:21 AM..
Old 11-28-2019, 7:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
My head was spinning using the GunBuilder II interface. I’m noobish to all the terminology used on the options they listed. I stopped at Widebody 6” and didn’t know what to select from there. From what you see above, what would I need to select? All I want out of the deal is a full length dustcover with accessory rail, 10mm, and sight tracker.
Call them. They will walk you through the options. One thing that can also help is to find a picture of the gun you want (or close to it) from their gallery of guns and use that as a starting point.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
Call them. They will walk you through the options. One thing that can also help is to find a picture of the gun you want (or close to it) from their gallery of guns and use that as a starting point.
Does the wait time go something like this? :

-Put $1000 deposit down
-They immediately send a base gun to FFL
-DROS and wait 10 days
-Send back immediately for work, then wait 15-20 months

OR

-Pay deposit
-Wait for so many months until they send to FFL
-DROS and wait
-Pickup, send back, and wait again until completed?

Tanks for the info (pun intended)
Old 11-29-2019, 9:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Does the wait time go something like this? :

-Pay deposit
-Wait for so many months until they send to FFL (after payment is complete)
-DROS and wait
-Pickup, send back, and wait again until completed?

One good thing is that you can think of it as a 16 month layaway (though now they are saying wait times are shorter). Each month you can send X amount of payment to them and spread the payments.
Old 11-29-2019, 5:45 PM

A few months ago they announced 6 months lead time. I got mine a couple years ago and it took 18 months.

Also they ship the rostered gun when your ordered gun is on deck so you immediately return it and when they receive it, they begin working on it.
Old 12-03-2019, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooder View Post
A few months ago they announced 6 months lead time. I got mine a couple years ago and it took 18 months.

Also they ship the rostered gun when your ordered gun is on deck so you immediately return it and when they receive it, they begin working on it.
Would be cool to have that pistol within 6 months, but I'm not holding my breath.

Still waiting for a reply from SVI. Let's see what happens!