Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:45 PM

Default New FFL questions.

So Iíll be applying for an FFL this week and have been doing a lot of reading. I wanted to make sure I am correct in my assumptions prior to my applications. Also I would love to speak with anyone who actually owns an FFL so if you want to shoot me a PM we can correspond further.

Moving forward, I already have several customers lined up as I work with a lot of LEOs, so I want to hit the ground running with a basic understanding of the profit margins in the industry and how best to connect with distributors.

1: Iíll be applying for a type 01 FFL. As such, I plan to store my firearms in a safe in a separate room. Based on my reading as long as my safe has 10 gauge walls, Iíd be able to qualify for a type 07 FFL as well correct. With a type 01, I can still provide gunsmithing and armorers services, I just canít go all CNC machine and manufacture. Down the road Iíd love to have a type 07, but reality is I wouldnít use it, so the stricter requirements are worth it.

2: I can perform the DROS paperwork from any location and as an FFL, safely and legally transport the weapon to the buyer after the DROS wait period.

3: I will be doing business in unincorporated territory and my county does not issue a business permit. As such, I will need a letter from the county clerk stating they do not issue business permits. Although I wonít need the county permit, I will still need a state permit and the board of equalization permit. Correct?

I know no one can provide legal advice and all but I wanted to make sure I was reading those three points correctly before proceeding.

And seriously, Iíve spoken to many FFLs around me, but you know how it is asking questions that would lead to direct competition. Always gets a little awkward so Iíd love to hear from people who have been doing this a while that I wonít compete against.

Respectfully,

Matt
Old 06-28-2020, 12:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You can use your ffl at place of business and gun shows for dros . Not anywhere you want. How much time have you spent researching?
Old 06-28-2020, 1:35 PM

When I said “any” I didn’t mean on a street corner or anything. I meant a buyers home or their department. And not the actual DROS. I’m talking about the physical paperwork. If you could point me to an article or CA FAQ that covers it. Everything I read was about the actual DROS, not just the paperwork to sign and take possession of the firearm.
Old 06-28-2020, 2:19 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg90 View Post
When I said ďanyĒ I didnít mean on a street corner or anything. I meant a buyers home or their department. And not the actual DROS. Iím talking about the physical paperwork. If you could point me to an article or CA FAQ that covers it. Everything I read was about the actual DROS, not just the paperwork to sign and take possession of the firearm.
That's federal law. Keep researching.

http://ALPHACATOUTDOORSUPPLY.COM
PHOENIX, AZ MIDDLEMAN TRANSFER DEALER
10 round magazine conversion service
CA compliance service
Machine gun/suppressor rentals
Private 10 acre range rentals
CA firearms/CA prohibited firearm storage.
MY CALGUNS COMMERCIAL SALES SUBFORUM
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...play.php?f=376
Old 06-28-2020, 2:26 PM

You only can transfer firearms at the physical place of business listed on your license or at a gun show. There is no third location. You have to have all of the safety posters prominently displayed at your place of business.

The safe can be anywhere on your premises. ATF and DOJ just want to know where your premises are. One room and a safe in the same room or another room are fine. Donít mix FFL and personal firearms. No law against it, just a recommendation from both of my reps.

NRA Patron, CRPA Life, SAF Life, GSSF Life, NRA RSO and pistol instructor, ILEETA instructor. Stop me before I join something else!
Old 06-28-2020, 2:49 PM

Profit margin? Online retailers can beat your prices on most any gun so margins are thin.
Old 06-29-2020, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlglock View Post
You only can transfer firearms at the physical place of business listed on your license or at a gun show. There is no third location. You have to have all of the safety posters prominently displayed at your place of business.
not 100% true. There are exceptions instate. ATF does not like it but it can be done for delivery only. 4473 at premise address or premise state gun show. delivery anywhere in state.

CA compliance service
Old 06-29-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophil2 View Post
not 100% true. There are exceptions instate. ATF does not like it but it can be done for delivery only. 4473 at premise address or premise state gun show. delivery anywhere in state.
Can this be true in CA? There are times this could be really handy.
Old 06-29-2020, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardo1895 View Post
Can this be true in CA? There are times this could be really handy.
i don't know ca law for transfers.

CA compliance service
Old 06-29-2020, 2:13 PM

There was a recent bulletin from CA DOJ or ATF that said that guns could be delivered through a window but the window still had to be on premise. A tent out outbuilding was prohibited.

Can anyone find a link to it?

NRA Patron, CRPA Life, SAF Life, GSSF Life, NRA RSO and pistol instructor, ILEETA instructor. Stop me before I join something else!
Old 06-30-2020, 10:00 AM

Can anyone help me with an FFL that has an "Assault Weapons Permit" in California? Please provide name of FFL and address.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:41 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408ray View Post
Can anyone help me with an FFL that has an "Assault Weapons Permit" in California? Please provide name of FFL and address.
What geographical area?

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Serving you from Prescott, AZ