Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:46 AM

Default Help for New Teen Shooters

Hello!

First let me say that I am new here so, if I have posted this in the wrong area, my apologies and any mod please feel free to move it to a more proper location.

I am beginning to get into guns, I get my first handgun out of jail in 4 hours (SA XD 9mm). I have two teen daughters, mom isn't in the picture much, and I want to bring along to both enjoy the sport and be knowledgeable with firearms. I have had them watch some training videos, including Keep The Piece, which provided more of a woman's perspective to firearm use and safety.

My question is this: do you have any suggestions regarding how to grow their interest? This past weekend I made a target stand and bought some splatter targets but I am wondering if others have proven strategies to work with daughters especially.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:05 AM
RSG Minion, Senior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Teach them the primary safety rules, show them how to handle your gun and take them to the range before you overdo too many videos.

Invite a knowledgeable friend to teach them.
(preferably, young cute and single.)

Rent a .22 first to get them used to the lower recoil.

If they just are not into it, take your time, maybe request the range trip for a Fathers Day present for them to at least be confident enough to use a weapon in the future.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:17 AM

Teach them the 4 rules, have fun!
Old 04-30-2015, 9:19 AM

Hard to tell. My daughter is 9 and she loves shooting. I got another problem how to sneak away alone in order to get a chance to practice myself.
From my teen son's friends I noticed that they find can and clay shooting a bit more exciting over straight paper target shooting. I guess teach them safety rules and watch them carefully first several times. New shooters tend to point guns in wrong directions, forget to put safety on after shooting or put their arms right behind a slider. Good luck with motivating your kids.
Old 05-01-2015, 8:03 PM
CGSSA Leader

Not the most pleasant way to bring it up but the idea of self defense, and not being a victim is very good motivation to learn/get interested in shooting. This would be my first route if I had daughters....

Yes it needs to be fun, but at the end of the day what are you trying to achieve?

Old 05-03-2015, 6:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Learn the basic safety rules and the most important thing about shooting is that it should be fun.
Old 05-03-2015, 5:35 PM

Get some steel plates, once they hear those steels plates ringing they'll love it even more.
Old 05-24-2015, 7:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hvs you looked into the Women On Target program run by the NRA And CGSSA?....
Its a great way for ladies to learn the fundamentals of the shooting sports. Pistol(.22) and ammo is provided along with eye and ear protection. Bring your lunch....Heres the thread with the schedule for 2015http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9#post13716259

And heres another WOT class hosted by our friends over at Foward Assist Traininghttp://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...0#post16330360

I signed up my gf last year and she loved it!
Hope this helps.....
Old 07-19-2015, 10:26 PM

Well if you're still looking for suggestions... Safety first obviously but keep the mood light. I have taken both my mother and sister to range. My mom hates it and my sister probably just goes for the photo op. I try not to be serious or critical. She is naturally a good shot so it is easy for me to compliment her but I would recommend 2 compliments per advice/ criticism. Also, come up with a game. My sister and I take turns shooting at golf ball or something to see who hits it the most out of six. Little s*** wins too.
Old 07-22-2015, 7:56 PM

I started learning just over a year ago. Keep it exciting as well as safe. Start with simple guns, just not a rental Taurus .22 revolver with horrendous DA trigger pull. Just my 2 cents. Ignore if you like.
Old 07-22-2015, 8:07 PM
RSG Minion, Senior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediguy97 View Post
I started learning just over a year ago. Keep it exciting as well as safe. Start with simple guns, just not a rental Taurus .22 revolver with horrendous DA trigger pull. Just my 2 cents. Ignore if you like.
It is hard to ignore a nasty DA pull.

OP:

How about a status report?
Old 07-27-2015, 6:02 PM

Maybe try shooting something like fruits and vegetable if possible. I know I enjoy shooting things that splatter.
Old 07-27-2015, 6:23 PM

Both my kids have started shooting this year. They have had firearms around the house, helped with reloading and seen many a show on the sportsman/outdoor channel.
I started with a pellet gun in the back yard, moved to archery lessons and recently a 22lr classes at a local range set up for kids. For my two, it was a natural progression and I'm pretty sure they are hooked.
Start small and work into larger. Not just what they are shooting but exposing them to the shooting sport and being around guns. Teach them the safety stuff and take the classes along with them. Let them know your open to learning and growing with them. When it comes to caliber, keep it small to mitigate recoil and not chase them away before they ever understanding what their doing or what to expect. Be strong and reassure them everything is going to be all right. Answer their questions to the best of your ability and if not able, find someone that you know who is into firearms to work with them. Guess what I'm saying is make them feel secure in what they are doing. If they like it great, if not, not a big deal.
Good luck
Old 07-27-2015, 9:48 PM
CGSSA Leader

Just keep going to the monthly shoots as soon as they come up again. They seemed to be interested, just need to figure out what guns they want. Teaching them or getting them (formal training) the fundamentals so they are able to shoot excellent groups, nothing makes shooting more fun than hitting what your aiming at