Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:41 AM

Default LASD Jail Tour/Ride Along Attire

Just had a question to LASD deputies. I have been told I can not wear a tie on my jail tour. SO what are some suggestions on what to where. I am leaning towards Black Slacks/Black Long sleeve button up/ black dress shoes for the Jail Tour. For the Ride Along it says to wear comfortable moving shoes, So I am wondering if wearing some black dickie pants with a black polo with some black running shoes or possibly work boots would be appropriate? Any information will be appreciated, I don't want to go to either looking under dressed or like I don't care. My Jail Tour is at MCJ, and my ride along is at Compton.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:14 PM

I want a tour of MCJ. How would I go about it?
Old 11-02-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick22 View Post
Just had a question to LASD deputies. I have been told I can not wear a tie on my jail tour. SO what are some suggestions on what to where. I am leaning towards Black Slacks/Black Long sleeve button up/ black dress shoes for the Jail Tour. For the Ride Along it says to wear comfortable moving shoes, So I am wondering if wearing some black dickie pants with a black polo with some black running shoes or possibly work boots would be appropriate? Any information will be appreciated, I don't want to go to either looking under dressed or like I don't care. My Jail Tour is at MCJ, and my ride along is at Compton.
Wear something professional or semi professional. Slacks or dockers and a button up shirt or nice polo shirt. Be well groomed. You can't go wrong. If you looked like a slob or if you acted unprofessionally, it would not be hard for a deputy to contact your background investigator.

The attire you intend to wear will be just fine.

"If you expect logic associated with California law, it will only make your head hurt.." - Ron-Solo, 2013

Last edited by Armed24-7; 11-02-2012 at 12:42 PM..
Old 11-02-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
I want a tour of MCJ. How would I go about it?
Unfortunately, LASD doesn't give jail tours to the general public unless you are an applicant going through the backgrounds process. Sorry

"If you expect logic associated with California law, it will only make your head hurt.." - Ron-Solo, 2013
Old 11-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Now in AZ
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed24-7 View Post
Unfortunately, LASD doesn't give jail tours to the general public unless you are an applicant going through the backgrounds process. Sorry
Or commit a crime

(I don't suggest that, but it will get you a great tour and first hand experience)
Old 11-02-2012, 2:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCasey View Post
Or commit a crime

(I don't suggest that, but it will get you a great tour and first hand experience)
Or are enrolled in a college criminal justice course where you tour various prisons and jails etc...

Or, are a member of the ACLU (American Criminal LOVERS Union) that is working on a case to sue the LASD.

Or, know a family member that works there and can get you a personal tour!

Or, you give campaign contributions to the Sheriff

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 11-02-2012, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Wear something professional or semi professional. Slacks or dockers and a button up shirt or nice polo shirt. Be well groomed. You can't go wrong. If you looked like a slob or if you acted unprofessionally, it would not be hard for a deputy to contact your background investigator.

The attire you intend to wear will be just fine.
Thank you for the response. I agree that it would be quite easy to contact my BI when I hand them a paper with his name and number on it approving my ride along. I do not want to start off on the wrong foot or make a bad impression considering the Deputies I make a bad impression with could be potential future co workers if everything goes well.
Old 11-02-2012, 3:00 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Business Casual. Polo or button down and dockers type pants are fine.

P.S. Don't touch anything!
Old 11-02-2012, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post

That's what I keep hearing! I feel like I should be bringing some gloves and not taking them off!
Old 11-02-2012, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick22 View Post
Thank you for the response. I agree that it would be quite easy to contact my BI when I hand them a paper with his name and number on it approving my ride along. I do not want to start off on the wrong foot or make a bad impression considering the Deputies I make a bad impression with could be potential future co workers if everything goes well.
Well, it seems you certainly have your head screwed on straight. Keep using good common sense and you will be fine.

Old 11-02-2012, 4:34 PM

Quote:

.....also, keep your hands away from your face and wash your hands very well after you are done.

Disease in the jails are worse today than it was way back when I worked custody. Even then, it took me a year to build up a strong tolerance.

Old 11-02-2012, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Well, it seems you certainly have your head screwed on straight. Keep using good common sense and you will be fine.
Thank you, this is my future we are talking about so I have always found it wise to stay humble for the opportunity and not anger anyone. And as far as touching my face and washing my hands, I work as Hospital Security right now and am pretty good about washing my hands very frequently. Usually the people Security has to deal with in an Emergency Department are not the most well groomed patients.
Old 11-03-2012, 3:31 AM
Veteran Member

Have fun. MCJ is a very different jail than what people think. Biggest jail operation around these parts, and I think, the whole state.

Listen to directions, and definitely keep your hands to yourself.
Old 11-03-2012, 8:48 AM

Quote:
. . .

That's for sure!!!

One 4-12 shift, I had a reserve riding along with me and, when I went into a cafe to get some take out lunch, he touched something--the SIREN on/off switch--and he didn't know how to turn it off.

Needless, I was perturbed when I ran out not knowing to expect, finding this dumb-**s fumbling around the dashboard.

After I turned off the siren, I informed him to "don't touch anything!"

After that fiasco, he was known by everyone as "Mister Wizard."

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory." -- Paul Fix

Calguns Amazon.com donation Link:

Old 11-03-2012, 9:39 AM

Quote:

MSRA is NO joke:

Old 11-03-2012, 9:56 AM

Quote:

I can vouch for the touching My Bunky in ventura Got staff infection from touching his matress
Nearly reach the sky
Old 11-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Wow! you would think if the place is that much of a cesspool, they might want to douche it with a little bleach. Bleach is cheap.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:49 AM

Good morning ladies and gentlemen, my name is Deputy X and I'll be taking you for a quick tour of Men's Central Jail. Everyone got your visitor ID's? Make sure you don't lose those or you might be staying longer than you'd like. Waivers are all signed? Life insurance policies updated? No weapons, drugs, cell phones or recording devices or any other contraband - you all put your stuff in the lockers outside, right? Everyone have a "tour buddy"? We use the buddy system here - you guys make sure your buddy doesn't go missing. And, if the inmates get loose and start rushing us, you throw your buddy at them and run the other way. Some of you guys are dressed pretty nice. You may get mistaken for aclu and some of the inmates may want to talk to you or lodge a complaint or something. No talking to the inmates. No physical contact or giving them anything. There are a lot of germs in here. If you touch something with your hands, keep them away from your face and make sure you wash thoroughly as soon as we're done. By the way, if you get held hostage and this applies to all of us deputies working in here too, there's no guarantee that they'll negotiate for your release. So, keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times, don't feed the animals, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Here's another tip for your ride-along - try not to breathe too deeply when the deputy pulls over the unit so that you're the one closest to the hooker who has a hacking cough and leans into the car while they have a little chat.
WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've got an old orange jumpsuit from Cal Trans that I can loan you for your tour and/or ridealong.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 11-03-2012, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I've got an old orange jumpsuit from Cal Trans that I can loan you for your tour and/or ridealong.
Haha, that would make a interesting first impression.
Old 11-03-2012, 9:51 PM
Veteran Member

Forget the orange ones, give him the blue one with the stripes down the side.