Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 01-01-2012, 6:48 AM

Default **Pic Added**Cow Mountain Ukiah - what a disaster

All I have to say is "Wow." Where do you start to get this place like this cleaned up and how long would it take before it was a disaster again? I mean, besides just a rediculous amount of spent shell casings and random targets left everywhere, people are just dumping thier trash all over the place. It's amazing what people just leave behind there and feel ok about doing it.

I think the only real option is carpet bomb the whole place.

Edit - Didn't realize I had this picture on my phone. I took this when I arrived.
Cow Mountain.jpg

Last edited by jmlivingston; 01-02-2012 at 7:36 AM.. Reason: Rotated picture
Old 01-01-2012, 6:51 AM
Banned

No, I think it's time for us CG'ers to do a range cleanup. Could you post the GPS coords of the spot you're referring to?

C'mon folks, let's get them pickups out and go cleanup after the tards before it gets another area closed.
Old 01-01-2012, 6:58 AM

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...04941&t=h&z=18
Old 01-01-2012, 3:22 PM
Calguns Addict

I may be able to make it on a Saturday. I have been there a bunch of times, but not for about a year I think.

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 01-01-2012, 3:25 PM
Veteran Member

If that was near me I would be good to go for clean up. Wish we had more places like this (cleaned after each session though!)

"Between your faith and my Glock 9mm I'll take the Glock."
- Arnold Schawarzenegger (End of Days)
Old 01-01-2012, 3:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was there shooting today, and it was pretty bad. Although I'm on crutches, I can provide a truck and tools for a cleanup.
Old 01-01-2012, 3:39 PM
Calguns Addict

If we can get a date set pretty quick I'll see if I can get a couple more guys to come with me. The weather is good right now, but once we actually get rain, it will be tougher to get people out.
Old 01-01-2012, 4:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimid8tor View Post
If we can get a date set pretty quick I'll see if I can get a couple more guys to come with me. The weather is good right now, but once we actually get rain, it will be tougher to get people out.
That reminds me, last time I was out there, a huge muddy rut about halfway up the hill convinced us not to risk it in my buddy's stock '94 Jeep Cherokee.

Old 01-01-2012, 8:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrickel View Post
That reminds me, last time I was out there, a huge muddy rut about halfway up the hill convinced us not to risk it in my buddy's stock '94 Jeep Cherokee.
That muddy spot has been repaired. That was the worst spot, also.
Old 01-01-2012, 8:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i went out there with 3 big garbage bags thinking i would make a difference after shoveling the bags full with shotgun shells i didnt look like i made a dent i hope a plane never crashes there because nobody would ever notice
Old 01-01-2012, 9:48 PM

maybe organizing a cgns clean up would be best, how about involving the local BLM office staff, sheriff, etc. This way maybe they can provide a dumpster, and have a lot of people show up.
Old 01-02-2012, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_e95482 View Post
I was there shooting today, and it was pretty bad. Although I'm on crutches, I can provide a truck and tools for a cleanup.
Hey Bob. I think I saw you. I was on the far right end with the two young boys. You were trying to make it by us and the wash-out. It was definitely tough to navigate on crutches.

Unfortunately, I don't live in the area otherwise I'd join you in the short-term, but maybe in the future when I'm visiting the family and when you're off crutches. This place does give me the inspiration to get more involved with these cleanups. I think what was most disturbing is the garbage tossed in the parking lot. Pretty much was just kitchen trash. I typically either shoot at a controlled range or, lately, Pinoche down south, which was nowhere near this bad. Pinoche was pretty well kept where we were at.
Old 01-02-2012, 7:21 AM

We used to ride off road at Cow. Notice 'Used to'. Won't say another word about scumbags in Ukiah.
Old 01-02-2012, 7:29 AM

You'd have to coordinate a day/weekend to shut it down for a cleanup, which would probably require the BLM and sheriff to be actively involved. I would suspect you would have a bit of a local backlash and potentially some confrontations if it wasn't well coordinated and people arrived to shoot only to find out there was a cleanup going on. I'll be out there in February again sometime. I can also help line-up some "respectable" and "hard-working" people who live locally to join.

Last edited by mark2203; 01-02-2012 at 7:33 AM..
Old 01-02-2012, 7:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkane View Post
We used to ride off road at Cow. Notice 'Used to'. Won't say another word about scumbags in Ukiah.
Don't blame it all on us. Most of the shooters are from out of town.
Old 01-02-2012, 8:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_e95482 View Post
That muddy spot has been repaired. That was the worst spot, also.
Awesome. The road is otherwise pretty good, I have made it up there plenty of times in a little compact 4-cylinder.

Old 01-02-2012, 8:40 AM
Veteran Member

Never been but I could show up if there is a clean up day. No truck but trash bags, tools and a willingness to pitch in.
Old 01-02-2012, 1:31 PM
Calguns Addict

This brings a tear to my eye. I grew up with my family hunting those hills. To the bottom and out. My grandfather passed this last year and he was the main person in my life who got me into guns and hunting. So many great memories on Cow mountain. Summer vaca spent in Ukiah and waiting for that mill whistle to sound to go do a evening hunt.
I wish when people went to these places they would think of their grandchildren and what these mountains mean to the future sport. If I were closer I would be there in a minute. You know what screw it. You guys get something together and Ill be there to help.
Old 01-02-2012, 2:27 PM

I clean ofter my self....Most of the people is from out of town.. I see people bringing garbage to shoot at. Not cool..
Old 01-03-2012, 8:25 AM
Banned

I have me and one other. Any weekend. May just go up and fill up some trash bags and shoot a little.
Old 01-05-2012, 5:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Count me in. Anytime. I don't have a truck, but can help fill them. I estimate it will take in the neighborhood of 10CY to make a decent dent, so, quite a few full size pickups. It's bad and needs help soon. Sooner the better.

Is there a way to organize emails so we can more easily canvas people for a solid date rather than going back and forth through postings and PM's?

Does somebody know how to do a survey with a range of dates that we can agree to?

I do know that if a real date doesn't get pinned down nothing will happen.
Old 01-05-2012, 5:16 PM

And people wonder why we loose shooting areas....
Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i'm not too upset with the garbage as it is fairly sequestered to the range basin and will not end up in a waterway

but when someone shot up the trees (they died and were chopped down) that provided shade and a windbreak

a good bonfire would take care of the majority of garbage (shotgun shells,ammo boxes,various wood chunks (pallets,plywood,particle board entertainment center) hide-a-bed couch cushions tv/monitor plastic outer shells bowling pins

i remember one clean up where they had a pile of old bbq tanks about 10 foot high waiting to be picked up

Last edited by bohoki; 01-05-2012 at 11:32 PM..
Old 01-06-2012, 8:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

What a mess!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 01-06-2012, 9:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I called the Ukiah field office to ask about how to go about organizing something and they have a person who is in charge of cleanups. Typically, on an annual basis, they bring up a 40CY dumpster then hire inmates to do the cleanup. I will email them and ask if they have anything planned soon and how we would go about coordinating with them. If anyone is interested in being on an email list to be notified about timing, please PM me your email and I will set up a group email.

They are also in the process of setting up interim rules prohibiting use of firearms anywhere but at the range to help prevent the trash that you see along the sides of the roadway on the way up to the range. They would like to cleanup these other areas as well.

Anyhow, send me your emails if you want to be part of a group list for cleanup coordination at North Cow. I will also update via posts here.
Old 01-06-2012, 9:27 AM

Please include me. I'll send you a PM. I'll can't guarantee I'll make it because of the distance and other adult responsibilities but, since my in-laws live within 15-minutes of there and we always enjoy visiting them, it's likely that we can swing a trip out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnovin View Post
They are also in the process of setting up interim rules prohibiting use of firearms anywhere but at the range to help prevent the trash that you see along the sides of the roadway on the way up to the range. They would like to cleanup these other areas as well.
Also, with regards to this, I have to say "thank God." Not only was there several road-side messes left, a couple of derelicts were target shooting across the roadway about a 1/4 mile from the range area. When we approached they stopped, allowed us to pass and waived hello, and continued on. I never argue with an unknown person holding a loaded pistol, so we moved on.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:59 AM

PM'ing you Donnovin

I've been to Cow Mountain OHV park at least a few times since I've joined a local 4x4 club and we've been looking for a clean up opportunity for awhile now.
Old 01-06-2012, 4:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Please count me in on this effort. My wife's family is from Ukiah so we get up there fairly often. I have a truck and plenty of rakes, etc. Let's make this work. We're better than the scum that trash this place.

If we can work this through with BLM that's excellent.

Thank you Donnovin for beginning the coordination with BLM.

Keep me in the loop.
Old 01-06-2012, 4:53 PM

Itd be good to involve any 4x4 clubs anyone is affiliated with as well. The offroading community is big on helping keep public lands open too!
Old 01-09-2012, 3:24 PM

I grew up shooting at cow mountain, for the life of me I can not ever recall a time when it looked decent. I honestly am surprised it is still open. If I were going up to see my folks anytime soon I would love to help out but I have no idea when I will make it up there.
Old 01-09-2012, 4:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i too with a weeks notice would make time to pick up my weight in garbage but if we wait too long spring will come and the weeds will be 6 foot high
Old 01-09-2012, 6:03 PM
Calguns Addict

That's a shame, but I've seen far worse in SoCal.

A member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
Old 01-10-2012, 6:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

BLM Ukiah Update:

I sent the following email to the BLM contact person four days ago. No response yet, so I'll try by phone again today. While we don't have to have their 40CY dumpster, it sure would simplify things. Also, we need their help closing the range while we clean up.

I am interested in helping to organize a group of people for a cleanup of the shooting range at North Cow Mountain. I understand that from time to time the BLM organizes a cleanup and that you are the point man for this effort.

We would be interested in participating in your cleanup, if possible, or may be interested in organizing a separate cleanup, depending on when you are planning your next one.

It may be that if you are able to arrange for a dumpster, we could supply the labor to fill it.

Please let me know your thoughts regarding this, as well as what we need to do to proceed.

When I have more info I will start a new post with a poll for various dates so we can pick one when more people can be there.

Thanks to those who have expressed an interest in coming out! The rest of you, don't be shy! This range is a great resource and it helps a lot to show the BLM that a there is a group that cares enough to come out and work. Further, while we say it is BLM land, actually, it belongs to us. It would be a shame if we couldn't get enough people to make a big difference in one day.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:19 PM

i just need to know the date this will be happening and I'll be there. i might be able to get some other people to come help out as well. sending you a PM now with Email

Last edited by madballjs; 01-14-2012 at 10:21 PM..
Old 01-15-2012, 7:10 AM
Banned

I'm in for whenever it comes up. It'll be a 4 hour drive but needs done.
Old 01-15-2012, 9:27 AM

I'm down to help. I'm just over the hill on the coast. Have a truck, hand tools, and boxes of extra large trash bags.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

i'm in just got back i brought a grabber and a garbage bag but didnt make a dent

i think i need a rake and a snow shovel

Last edited by bohoki; 01-15-2012 at 10:49 AM..
Old 01-15-2012, 11:31 AM

Wow that's way worse then the last time i went up there. We need to get this done. I hope BLM gets back about this effort soon.

Last edited by madballjs; 01-16-2012 at 1:17 PM..
Old 01-15-2012, 12:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

PM me when ready. I could bring friends.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

the worst bit is about halfway in there is a cliff that has a bunch of garbage and empty casings its like they couldnt wait 5 more minutes to make it to the range